Chili w/o beans

Dutch

4 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Pork tenderloin is really lean. Just a suggestion but use beef chuck and pork shoulder. Same cut and similar fat ratio.

Came here to say this. It probably wasn't so much that the beef tendered before the tenderloin, but that the tenderloin tendered and then toughened up by the time the beef was tender. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, HouTex said:

Still solid.  Just add more chile powder and cayenne to taste.

"Why do you always have to add that extra stuff the food I cook after I make it?!"

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

“honey that was delicious”

"nods knowingly." All married dudes learn this lesson quite early.

Edited by Dutch

"nods knowingly." All married dudes learn this lesson quite early.

I learned this early in marriage. I was young. Came home to an awful smell. “Salmon patties!” My bride proudly showed me. “Salmon? My mom makes tuna patties. I like tuna patties” At which point I caught a salmon patty in the face hurled like Nolan Ryan. One learns.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I learned this early in marriage. I was young. Came home to an awful smell. “Salmon patties!” My bride proudly showed me. “Salmon? My mom makes tuna patties. I like tuna patties” At which point I caught a salmon patty in the face hurled like Nolan Ryan. One learns.

This is a chili thread, but salmon patties are where it's at.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This is a chili thread, but salmon patties are where it's at.

The issue here ain’t salmon patties. It’s pussy. So it goes anywhere. The life lesson goes back to high praise for anything the wife makes. And dont ever say “but my mom made it like this”. That adds time to the pussy exclusion period one endures.

At this stage of life I’d probably happily eat chili with beans, mango, fish sauce, and cinnamon if she made it.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, deft said:

I wish insta would embed. This is brilliant.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyMJcN_Ajsb/

i wish insta had a volume control.

Edited by elfenix
resizing to not ginormous. why does the board embiggen it?

• 3 weeks later...

This coming Saturday, I've been tasked with providing 5 gallons of chili for the neighborhood holiday party.  I usually make Texas red with dried chilies and cubes of chuck roast.  I can't imagine dealing with the numbers of chilies and chuck roast to make the amount I need for this event.  Any suggestions of simpler other recipes?  Also thinking about some chuck roast and some ground beef - obviously adding the ground beef toward the end of the cook.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

This coming Saturday, I've been tasked with providing 5 gallons of chili for the neighborhood holiday party.  I usually make Texas red with dried chilies and cubes of chuck roast.  I can't imagine dealing with the numbers of chilies and chuck roast to make the amount I need for this event.  Any suggestions of simpler other recipes?  Also thinking about some chuck roast and some ground beef - obviously adding the ground beef toward the end of the cook.

Go powder.  By my measurements (I have others if you need them):

1 ancho chile ~ 4.5 tsp ancho chile powder

1 guajillo chile ~ 1 tsp guajillo chile powder (personally I think it's closer to 1.5 tsp but it depends on the chiles you measure)

1 chipotle chile ~ 1 tsp chipotle powder

I don't know why you'd necessarily add the ground beef late, I like the gravy consistency of a long braised ground beef.  Personal choice, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I haven't even wrapped my head around making 5 gallons of chili.  I suppose I'll brown all of the meat first in batches and then either use my boiling pot with the propane burner or split it into a couple large pots on the stove.  I should have signed up to just bring cornbread.

Yeah, the cost of that much meat is going to add up quick.  You might consider searching for some cost savings by thinking outside the box...

Where Did THAT Come From: Kwik-E-Mart Central OfficeThe Simpsons Tapped Out  AddictsAll Things The Simpsons Tapped Out for the Tapped Out Addict in All  of Us

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I haven't even wrapped my head around making 5 gallons of chili.  I suppose I'll brown all of the meat first in batches and then either use my boiling pot with the propane burner or split it into a couple large pots on the stove.  I should have signed up to just bring cornbread.

I've seen restaurants brown ground beef in the oven.  5 lb would probably take a decent-sized disposable aluminum foil pan from HEB or some such.  Seems pretty legit, look it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Are you doing this out of the kindness of your heart or is there a cost reimbursement?  If I spent the money and time to make proper 5 gallons of chili only to have it set next to Karen's crockpot of velveeta, I think I'd loose my shit and demand satisfaction.

I think they will provide an HEB gift card after the fact to cover some expenses, but I know I'll spend more than that.  Karen has already signed up for white chicken chili, whatever the hell that is.  Someone else is doing his famous Helter Swelter chili.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Go powder.  By my measurements (I have others if you need them):

1 ancho chile ~ 4.5 tsp ancho chile powder

1 guajillo chile ~ 1 tsp guajillo chile powder (personally I think it's closer to 1.5 tsp but it depends on the chiles you measure)

1 chipotle chile ~ 1 tsp chipotle powder

So, when using powder, do you just put the chile powders in the vitamix with the same amounts of water, oil, garlic, and ground cumin you would use if making with reconstituted dried chiles?

41 minutes ago, Tonesky said:

So, when using powder, do you just put the chile powders in the vitamix with the same amounts of water, oil, garlic, and ground cumin you would use if making with reconstituted dried chiles?

If I'm using powder I just sprinkle the spice mix on the beef as it's browning.  Or, if I'm feeling adventurous, I bloom it in fat (oil or butter) for a minute or so before adding the beef to brown.

I've mentioned it here before, but I've had nice results starting a chili with a roux -- equal parts fat (oil or butter or a mix) and flour, then the ground beef and diced veggies, and on from there.  i wonder if masa could create a roux?  Sounds like an experiment.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 gallons is such an odd measurement, I don’t even know how I’d go about quantifying all of that. I just buy ~3# of diced chuck and ~1-1.5# coarse ground beef and go from there. If anyone ever asked me to bring anything other than “big ass pot” amount of chili, I don’t know what I’d tell them. 

I’ve made 4-5 gallons of chili at chili cook offs.  It’s not terribly difficult.  IIRC, that probably calls for 12-14 lbs of meat—maybe a little more.  Get course ground meat and some chuck and cube it to about 3/4 inch pieces.  Season the meat with seasoned salt.  Brown the meat in batches.  You can find powder based chili recipes online and adjust the seasonings for your number of pounds of meat.   When it’s browned, add the dry powders in two or three dumps.  After the meat is browned I add the first spice dump and the liquids-beef stock or water and Knorr’s beef concentrate or whatever liquid you use.  A beer or two would be good too. After about 30 minutes of simmering, add the second spice dump.  I simmer it for another 30 minutes and start tasting it.  You might not need the rest of the dry spices.  Add a little tomato sauce if that’s your thing.  I like a little tomato sauce in my chili but too much is a bad thing.  I usually aim for simmering my chili for 1 1/2 hours total.  As for chili powder, my favorite is Mexene.  The recipe you choose probably will have cayenne powder for heat.  I hold off adding it all until I taste for spiciness, especially if I’m cooking for a group with diverse heat tolerances.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

These folks are just going to dump it in a bowl with a bunch of chips, onions, jalapeños and then a ladle of rotel dip. You can make a perfectly adequate chili without stupid expense or effort.

Either find some chuck roasts on sale and get 4 or 5 three pounders and have them ground coarse. Or really go easy and just buy 15lbs of 80/20 chub pack ground beef at Costco or Sam’s. It’s fine. No one will care. Especially if they are drinking.

Put a tbsp of ap flour per pound in oil as you’re browning the meat. Get a big thing of McCormick chili powder and cumin at Costco or Sam’s. 4tbsp chili powder and 2 cumin per 3 pounds. A chopped onion per 3 pounds (puree in a blender with a bunch of garlic. A 28oz can crushed tomatoes per 3lbs, then beef broth and a beer say a 50/50 12oz beer plus 12oz broth per 3lbs. Dont scorch it and adjust seasonings as you cook. Add cayenne for heat as you see fit but you don’t want the left overs. Easiest also is just claim you misjudged and do 9-10 lbs meat and cut accordingly. If you made a tetlingua winning chili most of your neighbors would complain. Keep it simple stupid

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

These folks are just going to dump it in a bowl with a bunch of chips, onions, jalapeños and then a ladle of rotel dip. You can make a perfectly adequate chili without stupid expense or effort.

+ rep.  (I'd skip the beer, though.  Or disclose it.  Your sober neighbors might get pissed about consuming alcohol, even if the alcohol largely cooks off.)

• Like 1

If you made a tetlingua winning chili most of your neighbors would complain.

All of this. 

Edited by Anastasis

Either find some chuck roasts on sale and get 4 or 5 three pounders and have them ground coarse. Or really go easy and just buy 15lbs of 80/20 chub pack ground beef at Costco or Sam’s. It’s fine. No one will care. Especially if they are drinking.

Put a tbsp of ap flour per pound in oil as you’re browning the meat. Get a big thing of McCormick chili powder and cumin at Costco or Sam’s. 4tbsp chili powder and 2 cumin per 3 pounds. A chopped onion per 3 pounds (puree in a blender with a bunch of garlic. A 28oz can crushed tomatoes per 3lbs, then beef broth and a beer say a 50/50 12oz beer plus 12oz broth per 3lbs. Dont scorch it and adjust seasonings as you cook. Add cayenne for heat as you see fit but you don’t want the left overs. Easiest also is just claim you misjudged and do 9-10 lbs meat and cut accordingly. If you made a tetlingua winning chili most of your neighbors would complain. Keep it simple stupid

all of this. Id use a little more flour though

id also use those chili kits, and add some extra flavor

if you want to go next level. Cut back some and add a couple big cans of chili. Season some to taste 

Edited by tx 3 putt