Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I've raised the Landry question before.  Yes, there's been the occasional photo of him in the media guide, and I appreciate that he'll be in the Texas Athletics Hall of Fame.  But having Tom Landry as a Longhorn alumn is a big fucking deal, and I've always wondered why he isn't given more publicity as a Longhorn legend. 

37 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've raised the Landry question before.  Yes, there's been the occasional photo of him in the media guide, and I appreciate that he'll be in the Texas Athletics Hall of Fame.  But having Tom Landry as a Longhorn alumn is a big fucking deal, and I've always wondered why he isn't given more publicity as a Longhorn legend. 

Based on what I know about previous athletic dept regimes, I'm going to assume Landry didn't donate enough money to deem worthy by them of being recognized.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Based on what I know about previous athletic dept regimes, I'm going to assume Landry didn't donate enough money to deem worthy by them of being recognized.

Maybe, but with all of Mack Brown's clout and his desire to be associated with any and every part of Longhorn greatness, you'd think he would've touted Landry more, regardless of the Landry family's financial contributions to the University. 

I always thought Landry had some sort of falling out with the Longhorns.  I know that today's generation of young football fans might be too far removed from his football career and don't appreciate his legacy as much as us older folks, but he was still very much a part of the football lexicon when I was a student in the 90s, and we barely heard a word of him as a Longhorn.

And this is coming from someone who hated the Cowboys as a kid.

9 minutes ago, TornACL said:

While that may be true, I would hope it is irrelevant.  The man did enough for the game of football, especially in the state of Texas, to merit honor on that basis alone.  Significant honor.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

While that may be true, I would hope it is irrelevant.  The man did enough for the game of football, especially in the state of Texas, to merit honor on that basis alone.  Significant honor.

I mean he's buried a stone's throw away. I don't see why UT wouldn't recognize him to some degree. 

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)