Its happening (stadium renovations)

RowdyVic

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m an old, so I’m partial to them just enclosing the bowl in a classic sense. However, I’m starting to come around on the south end zone. I understand wanting to keep some views of the city and this probably looks awesome to the younger flashier generation. 

And yes, this is more proof Tom Herman is a shape shifter. He never looks the same in any picture 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Still wish they could have wrapped the bottom 30-40 rows for more cohesiveness. 

Agreed.  If the pitch mismatch makes it impossible, then correct the pitch for the rest of the bowl.  They keep talking about improving the experience for fans.  Improve the sight lines even if it reduces the capacity.  

Meh. It's kind if hard to get too worked up over an artist's rendering, but I think that looks like shit. 

also, scooping dirt out of planters boxes sitting on top of astro turf is fucking stupid. 

Now, if you all will excuse me, I must leave as there are some youngsters on my grass that need a stern lecturing.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

Meh. It's kind if hard to get too worked up over an artist's rendering, but I think that looks like shit. 

also, scooping dirt out of planters boxes sitting on top of astro turf is fucking stupid. 

Now, if you all will excuse me, I must leave as there are some youngsters on my grass that need a stern lecturing.

It's just a ceremony. They literally bring in scoopable dirt for this kind of thing for most skyscraper construction starts.

And oh man it's not a generational thing, the old ass boomer developers are the ones getting a huge boner out of the whole rigamarole.

5 hours ago, jTower said:

Agreed.  If the pitch mismatch makes it impossible, then correct the pitch for the rest of the bowl.  They keep talking about improving the experience for fans.  Improve the sight lines even if it reduces the capacity.  

So demolish and rebuild the entire east and west stands so they connect perfectly to the north end zone. That’s beyond stupid.

Edited by Pasken

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m an old, so I’m partial to them just enclosing the bowl in a classic sense. However, I’m starting to come around on the south end zone. I understand wanting to keep some views of the city and this probably looks awesome to the younger flashier generation. 

And yes, this is more proof Tom Herman is a shape shifter. He never looks the same in any picture 

Maybe it will lead to the students consistently filling in the south endzone for the first time in nearly a decade

Edited by perfectchaos007

6 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lets just hope the architect is better than the artist. I’m not terribly optimistic, but we’ll see. 

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Lets just hope the architect is better than the artist. I’m not terribly optimistic, but we’ll see. 

I agree. The new addition looks super flashy and trendy, but also looks like a slapdash add-on rather than complementing the overall DKR Memorial aesthetic. Beyond that, in 10-15 years it's going to look terribly dated. Maybe they could add a section for ice bucket challenges and the Harlem Shake just to keep it fresh for all time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

I agree. The new addition looks super flashy and trendy, but also looks like a slapdash add-on rather than complementing the overall DKR Memorial aesthetic. Beyond that, in 10-15 years it's going to look terribly dated. Maybe they could add a section for ice bucket challenges and the Harlem Shake just to keep it fresh for all time.

Get ready for another $50,000,000 upgrade campaign in the mid-2030s because it looks... too 2020. 

I guess I’m not a friend of the program. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

Maybe they could add a section for ice bucket challenges and the Harlem Shake just to keep it fresh for all time.

While we're improving things, how about a burnt orange slide. Everytime we score, we send Bevo down the slide a la Bernie Brewer.

• Like 1

But this is my alma mater doing what it does best. They spent millions coming up with a revised campus master plan which was supposed to require new buildings to at least resemble Spanish Renaissance architecture. What do you slap up right between perhaps the two ugliest buildings on campus?

30tmag-cathedral-slide-4HZZ-articleLarge

+rep to anyone who can find a pic that captures both Jester Center and Perry-Castaneda Library along with this Ellsworth Kelly masterpiece.

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I want stripper poles for the pom squad.

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

But this is my alma mater doing what it does best. They spent millions coming up with a revised campus master plan which was supposed to require new buildings to at least resemble Spanish Renaissance architecture. What do you slap up right between perhaps the two ugliest buildings on campus?

30tmag-cathedral-slide-4HZZ-articleLarge

+rep to anyone who can find a pic that captures both Jester Center and Perry-Castaneda Library along with this Ellsworth Kelly masterpiece.

Yeah but this thing was pretty cool.

55568bd725d5d79728d78f737032f1e4.jpg

Edit: Here you go:

Ellsworth_Kelly-Texas_51874-727x344.jpg 

Edited by KYHorn

15 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I don’t get this take.  It’s literally being bowled in at the bottom and the suites (which have already sold out) is just another building.  The only flashy thing is the Longhorn cutout and I don’t see how having the logo incorporated into the stadium will go out of style in 10 years.

I liked the idea of the full bowl but it honestly isn't feasible.  Bumping up the capacity to 110k+ would be insane.  The priorities were to give to players a better facility, add more suites, and give the stadium a more competed look from the stand alone end zone seats that they just threw in there a decade ago.  This solved for all of those problems.

Now if you want to criticize a certain aspect of the project, like the dumb party decks, then I’d agree with you, but just saying it would be better to mirror what they did on the NEZ is just dumb.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 3:21 PM, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, this SouthEZ project is all about the team & recruiting so I am fine with it. 

I've always felt the ol'guard messed up when we did the east side expansion. We were lazy then and payed for it when it came time for North & now South EZ expansion. With our Upper West side, we should have been thinking about uniformity for East, North & South. The East expansion ruined any chance for that to happen, it was big & generic. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, Goodman said:

Yeah, this SouthEZ project is all about the team & recruiting so I am fine with it. 

I've always felt the ol'guard messed up when we did the east side expansion. We were lazy then and payed for it when it came time for North & now South EZ expansion. With our Upper West side, we should have been thinking about uniformity for East, North & South. The East expansion ruined any chance for that to happen, it was big & generic. 

Bama is remodeling to something "similar" to this....I hear.

• blacklab changed the title to Its happening (stadium renovations)