Texas basketball 2020-21: Not even Shaka can fuck this up...right?

Goo Punch

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This, to me, just reinforces how fucking bullshit "amateur" athletics and "student" athletes is.

Oh campus is closed through Monday because of bad weather, no water and little power?  No practice all week.

Buttttttttttttttttttttttt the Big 12 needs you to play a game on Saturday for some tv bucks, so suck it up. 

I don't know what the alternative is. There have already been multiple games postponed. They can't just keep pushing back the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ztejas said:

I don't know what the alternative is. There have already been multiple games postponed. They can't just keep pushing back the schedule. 

Cancel the Big 12 tournament, make up the games between the end of the regular season and prior to selection day and give the auto-bid/conference championship to the winner of the double round-robin. 

The Big 12 has to come to terms with the fact that we aren't getting a full regular season schedule (thanks Baylor and bad weather in Texas) and the Big 12 tournament is a shitty situation where a lot more can go wrong and fuck some team(s) up for the NCAA tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Cancel the Big 12 tournament, make up the games between the end of the regular season and prior to selection day and give the auto-bid/conference championship to the winner of the double round-robin. 

The Big 12 has to come to terms with the fact that we aren't getting a full regular season schedule (thanks Baylor and bad weather in Texas) and the Big 12 tournament is a shitty situation where a lot more can go wrong and fuck some team(s) up for the NCAA tournament. 

You want the Big 12 to pass up tv money for the safety of the players?  Good luck with that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't disagree. But the conference tourney is only like, 4 days? Texas would still have to play at somepoint. It's going to be disadvantageous any way you slice it. Maybe you push the WVU game - there's no way you can push the Kansas game on Tuesday. I guess if you're hoping for that to be our first game back rather than WVU then I get where you're coming from.

6 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

You want the Big 12 to pass up tv money for the safety of the players?  Good luck with that.

It's going to suck regardless.

There's technically only like 8 days left in the regular season.  Number of games played:

Baylor - 9
Kansas - 15
OU - 12
Texas - 11
WV - 11
Tech - 11
OSU - 13
TCU - 10
KSU - 14
ISU - 12

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't disagree. But the conference tourney is only like, 4 days? Texas would still have to play at somepoint. It's going to be disadvantageous any way you slice it. Maybe you push the WVU game - there's no way you can push the Kansas game on Tuesday. I guess if you're hoping for that to be our first game back rather than WVU then I get where you're coming from.

Yes, we should able to play Tuesday.  It won't be ideal, but it's probably better logistically than trying to play tomorrow. 

Selection Sunday is March 14.  Big 12 tournament is March 10-13.   Start rescheduling games - February 28, March 1, March 2, March 3, March 5, March 6, March 8.   Skip the tournament and use March 9, 10 and 13 to reschedule more games.   If you're intent on keeping the tournament, when teams start losing, keep them in Kansas City and play some reschedule games.   If Baylor-OU play for the title on March 13, let Texas-WV make up a game earlier in the day. 

Also, does anyone know why the Big 12 schedule (https://big12sports.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball) has our game against Tech on the 27th postponed?  I don't remember hearing about this. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ummmm it’s pretty simple, don’t play.

I really want to watch us play. I hate going a week or more of not playing.  I like to watch this team, most of the time.

But I don't want them to play tomorrow.  I don't want them to play in the Big 12 tournament either because it feels pointless. I bet you ISU and KSU don't want to play in it either - they just want this miserable fucking season to end. 

Cancel it and work on rescheduling games between Texas/OU, Texas/Baylor, Baylor/WV, Baylor/Tech, etc. 

5 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

So Shaka is saved last year by COVID and this year to COVID and storm of the century? With all the games being cancelled, he literally cannot fuck this up bad enough to warrant non renewal.  He is back next year....so what saves him next tear? I want some of what he’s got, wow!

After CDC blew the BMDs to pay out Herman and staff, I don't see any BMDs willingly offering up another $10.5 million or whatever to do it and/or CDC wanting to go into the 2021-22 season with 2 new head coaches in the 2 biggest sports.

He's is going to be the coach next year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

So, I am pretty sure I had this as a loss.  My prediction of 3-7 for the last ten is looking pretty good, I believe.  We evidently wasted the 2nd best half of the year(1st would be against KU?).   37-11 final tally for free throws attempted?  Has got to be a record difference for a game with 2 teams that are both rated in the top 20.  

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

AJ1 and Ramey going at it will probably be talked about. I hope that isn't an indication of divisiveness among the team. When losses pile up sometimes tempers flare, and Shaka isn't the type of coach/leader to resolve conflicts properly 

the problem is he's not a coach or a leader. he's Gene Chizik.

4 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

AJ1 and Ramey going at it will probably be talked about. I hope that isn't an indication of divisiveness among the team. When losses pile up sometimes tempers flare, and Shaka isn't the type of coach/leader to resolve conflicts properly 

Doubt it. That’s just Ramey’s rep. Chalk it up to frustration by both of them. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:24 PM, orangecat92 said:

To me, it feels like we're finishing either 6th, 7th, or 8th in the conference.  We're safely above the two bottom feeders.  I would imagine that gets us a 9 seed in the tourney.  Experts, is this close?  Say we finish a 9 seed, and lose the opener to the 8 seed.  How much of an underperformance would that rate?  Iow, is this current roster strong enough that an unbiased person should/would expect this team to finish in the top 4 of the conference and have a number 4 or higher seed in the tourney?  I would think yes, but CDC will probably use COVID as an excuse to give Shaka one more year.  If the talent reads 4th place or higher in the conference and we finish 7th or 8th, I think even the guy who doesn't pay attention says 'whoa, we've got a problem here'.  We're basically in the exact same position we were in this time last year, and the only hope at this point is that Shaka sees the writing on the wall, and goes after some other job that has a longer contract.  Let's face it, CDC is most likely still hoping like hell he doesn't have to deal with basketball after having to deal with football in December.  

One thing I think you can expect from CDC and that is no extension for Shaka, unless there is some magical turnaround and we go to the Elite Eight or better. 

This is holding up quite well, imo.  8 seed or 9 doesn't matter because that is a pick 'em game.  We will most likely lose the last two; puts us at 3-7 for the last 10 games before conf. tourney.  

If we get to play TCU we win the first game in conf. tourney.  Otherwise, 13-9.  Lose first round NCAA game and 13-10.  Yuck!  

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Doubt it. That’s just Ramey’s rep. Chalk it up to frustration by both of them. 

I have no idea how it started but we were up by 13 I think.  If Ramey is pissed don't get all fucking showy on the court.  Go bark at him on the side and don't cause a scene.  its not like Ramey is some kind of wunderkind or infallible.  he gets lazy and dumbass too. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, HookEm said:

In our 4 conference losses, we lost to:
#7 Tech by 2 pts
#24 OU by 1 pt
OSU in double OT
Baylor by a bunch just like everyone else

This team isn’t going to drop the next six. They will win 4-5 of them.

another good loss for the Horns today. wvu is good. we only lost by two. shaka is great. everyone here except for you and two other superior fans is an overly dramatic chicken little. this is fine. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:30 PM, HookEm said:

Shaka’s teams don’t generally crater to end the season.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886l1vz2r4bg146w6vh90

5B9BDEDA-0B34-490C-A69E-B6762DB7BF6A.jpeg

2965A330-57FF-405D-A380-BC88495D8E46.jpeg

ED56C529-07AA-4992-A1AD-92A5B6D6A2E2.jpeg

738D9B88-2D81-4601-9260-1812ABAFF5B7.jpeg

and just for good measure, here's his Final Four team:

9B2BF5A1-1A56-48B8-9AFD-ECE047D245D5.jpeg

but please, tell us more about how stupid and dramatic the rest of us are for not being happy right now. 

Edited by shadow_operative

On 2/10/2021 at 1:34 PM, Js1 said:

Can you share the lotto numbers too with your Rain Main-style predictions? 

• 😎
  • no thanks, but look at the above,  bubble watch?  Is he serious, if we lose the final two games, could we really be on the bubble? Then we would have to get lucky and draw TCU to have a victory in the conf. tourny. 

On 2/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, dcar00 said:

I have no idea how it started but we were up by 13 I think.  If Ramey is pissed don't get all fucking showy on the court.  Go bark at him on the side and don't cause a scene.  its not like Ramey is some kind of wunderkind or infallible.  he gets lazy and dumbass too. 

Or AJ could just admit that he fucked up and not throw up all over himself down the stretch. 

Assuming that Shaka isn't actually going to do anything productive in the huddle to coach his guys to hold onto a 19 point lead with 18 minutes left. And I think that's a safe assumption at this point. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:24 AM, orangecat92 said:
  • 😎
  • no thanks, but look at the above,  bubble watch?  Is he serious, if we lose the final two games, could we really be on the bubble? Then we would have to get lucky and draw TCU to have a victory in the conf. tourny. 

No. Texas could lose out and would still make the tourney.

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Or AJ could just admit that he fucked up and not throw up all over himself down the stretch. 

Assuming that Shaka isn't actually going to do anything productive in the huddle to coach his guys to hold onto a 19 point lead with 18 minutes left. And I think that's a safe assumption at this point. 

thats pretty interesting since Ramey's play has been pretty shitty for the most part down stretches of games and AJ has been clearly our best player.  Ramey being the "sargent at arms" in the locker room is hilarious.  the guy is a known choker.

that said, neither of these guys should be getting in someone's face on the court.  neither of them is good enough. but to your point Shaka should have grabbed both of them as soon as it started and sat them down in the huddle.  the issue is not Ramey or AJ.

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thats pretty interesting since Ramey's play has been pretty shitty for the most part down stretches of games and AJ has been clearly our best player.  Ramey being the "sargent at arms" in the locker room is hilarious.  the guy is a known choker.

that said, neither of these guys should be getting in someone's face on the court.  neither of them is good enough. but to your point Shaka should have grabbed both of them as soon as it started and sat them down in the huddle.  the issue is not Ramey or AJ.

They shouldn't play on the floor together period.  When all three play one or two always struggle.  Why not use our SIZE

Start Coleman and Ramey (because he can't handle coming off bench at this point vs AJ, could be wrong) and run our 3 + 6-9 dudes at the rim all game and rotate the 3 guards.