Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Ohhhh I voted no on that with a vengeance! I almost ripped a hole in my scantron sheet. I filled in that no bubble very aggressively!

The abortion amendment was even worse!!

Stupid fundies.

But be honest - do you think those amendments would get different results if they were on the ballot in Texas? Because I don’t.

Until the voters who are churchy above all common sense die off, those types of amendments will always succeed in the south.

Florida is America's dong and Alabama is its asshole and taint. 

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Yes they picked up seats in the Senate, but  already had a majority,  and lost the House. Not sure that's the definition of a big win. But it's still all about him. 

And there was never more than the slimmest of chances that the Democrats would take the Senate.  Trump basically prevented a Democrat slaughter considering the map Democrats were up against.  

Like the Republicans wouldn't jump at the chance to investigate Dems, no matter what is happening in the house. Pay attention putz. This shit is already happening and will continue to happen. The only difference is now he gets the chance to have subpoenas shoved up his ass. Hopefully Nunez gets an anal probe as well.

Edited by Thrawn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Yes they picked up seats in the Senate, but  already had a majority,  and lost the House. Not sure that's the definition of a big win. But it's still all about him. 

I think if you buy into the “mid terms are a referendum on Trumpism” you have to be disappointed, at the very least, because all the high profile, high emotional and clearly opposite of their Trumpkin opponents lost. Abrams, Gillium, Beto. All taking high profile L’s that say, “Not so fast” (which is more severe because one racially dog whistles, one had adult swim parody political ads and one lost to Ted Cruz)

6 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

These are tweets from a man who lost the House of Representatives with a 3.7% unemployment rate.

He lost last night bigly.

I guess...

What I learned from last night is that idiot fucking voters in this country of morons will still support a party that blindly supports the most corrupt, most vile, most shit-filled administration in the history of television all because their televisions told them to.

I really wish I could leave this country. I fucking hate it here

3 minutes ago, SKJ said:

I guess...

What I learned from last night is that idiot fucking voters in this country of morons will still support a party that blindly supports the most corrupt, most vile, most shit-filled administration in the history of television all because their televisions told them to.

Calm the fuck down.  The economy is humming.  People are selfish and vote w their wallet in mind.  That being said, for fuckstain to take a beating in the house like he did, with this economy, there’s plenty of hope.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SKJ said:

I guess...

Why can't you leave it?

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I think if you buy into the “mid terms are a referendum on Trumpism” you have to be disappointed, at the very least, because all the high profile, high emotional and clearly opposite of their Trumpkin opponents lost. Abrams, Gillium, Beto. All taking high profile L’s that say, “Not so fast” (which is more severe because one racially dog whistles, one had adult swim parody political ads and one lost to Ted Cruz)

Thank Mueller for not lancing the boil during the last 8 weeks, and I'm glad he didn't.  The national electorate spoke with votes and handed control of the House to meaningful oversight.  It's going to take some time, but we need more truth and accountability, not more personality.  Things will again take care of themselves at the ballot box in 2020.

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

These are tweets from a man who lost the House of Representatives with a 3.7% unemployment rate.

He lost last night bigly.

Yes, should be a reminder.  This was not a shitty economy type of midterm.  This was a repudiation of Trump/Republicans amongst college educated women and suburbanites. Not "but muh economic anxiety" voters.

He's been thinking about this for a while, apparently.

After losing House, Trump threatens Democrats with leak investigations

President Trump threatened that if a Democrat-led House "[wastes] Taxpayer Money investigating us...we will likewise be forced to consider investigating them...at the Senate level" in a Wednesday morning tweet.

"If the Democrats think they are going to waste Taxpayer Money investigating us at the House level, then we will likewise be forced to consider investigating them for all of the leaks of Classified Information, and much else, at the Senate level. Two can play that game!"

The big picture: Axios' Jonathan Swan reported in August that House Democrats were preparing a wishlist of investigations they hoped to initiate if they won the majority, which House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi confirmed was coming in her post-midterms victory speech, promising to restore "the Constitution’s checks and balances to the Trump administration."

He controls the Senate, what does he hope to achieve besides trying to update the rallying cry from "but her emails!" ? 

5 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

He's been thinking about this for a while, apparently.

He controls the Senate, what does he hope to achieve besides trying to update the rallying cry from "but her emails!" ? 

I think he could get an investigation into what the Dems had for lunch and his followers would come in their pants that the Dems are under investigation.

I think the message from last night is that cities and suburbs are tired of Trump.  And as I heard an ex GOPer describe on NPR this morning, rural America is filled with white, uneducated, racists who love Trump. That's why the Senate stayed but the house flipped. U thought that was a pretty good assessment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I have the sick feeling that this is a win for them.

In the frame of traditional politics, sure, this looks like a win for the Dems and anti-Trumpists. But things are traditional right now. 

The United States electorate did not have a general gag reflex to Trumpism's white nationalism and fascist attitudes towards the press, law enforcement, and the weak.

All Trumpists lost was the house? That's it? Yay Dems. Whoopee.

In a healthy America, Trumpists never gain power. If they do slip into power, they get swept away by a generally disgusted electorate. 

That didn't happen.

A massive section of the electorate are dedicated to this man and his rhetoric. When he moves on, we'll likely get someone more dangerous taking the reins.

There's a reason the deplorables are happy this morning. By not being repudiated absolutely, they feel vindicated.

Sickeningly, they are.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

In the frame of traditional politics, sure, this looks like a win for the Dems and anti-Trumpists. But things are traditional right now. 

The United States electorate did not have a general gag reflex to Trumpism's white nationalism and fascist attitudes towards the press, law enforcement, and the weak.

In a healthy America, Trumpists never gain power. If they do slip into power, they get swept away by a generally disgusted electorate. 

That didn't happen.

A massive section of the electorate are dedicated to this man and his rhetoric. When he moves on, we'll likely get someone more dangerous taking the reins.

There's a reason the deplorables are happy this morning. By not being repudiated absolutely, they feel vindicated.

Sickeningly, they are.

This is where I'm at.  

6 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That didn't happen.

Sickeningly, they are.

Yes. America is still shit until Trump is removed from office and sent to prison.

The rednecks need to learn the hard way that they're deplorable.

That didn't happen.
Sickeningly, they are.

Agreed completely. The bullshit trump stumbles upon Works alarmingly well and he’s not disciplined or even very good at it.

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That didn't happen.

Sickeningly, they are.

Sadly this.  

The trump admin is just going to ignore any subpoenas from the House.  The courts including the Kavanaugh scotus will side with trump.  And when the economy tanks because of trump's tariff dipshittery and overheating from the GOP tax cuts, they'll just blame the dem House for any problems and their band of Fox News watching sycophants will believe them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That didn't happen.

Sickeningly, they are.

95% agree, but my only pushback is that it takes some people a lot of time to come to terms with the fact that are wrong, and maybe two years was not enough.  The gag may still kick in, but it isn't a gag reflex.

12 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

That didn't happen.

Sickeningly, they are.

They got whipped last night.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

They got whipped last night.

At this point I am not willing to concede any side got whipped last night. I am not saying it didn't happen, but I would need to look at a lot of numbers in the aggregate and then look at any nuances in the individual races.

For example, here in Texas the senate race is incredibly nuanced and each candidate this morning has a ledger of +'s and -'s  with numbers to back them up and what it means going forward.  In fact, I would wager that if reps from both sides got together in a room and the nature of their discourse was not disclosed to the public, I bet there would be 95% consensus on what the numbers mean, and any disagreements would be only by the thinnest of margins and not even necessarily about favor-ability to one side or the other.

Keep in mind this is just about interpretation of numbers, not actual policy or strategy about what to do going forward.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that the House OR the Senate are the tells. I think Florida is.  You had an all in Trumper take the governor, and (probably) unseated a Dem Senator in a very close race. 

I think Florida going the way it did is a big deal too.  They had the opportunity to reject Trumpism outright and instead embraced it.  That doesn’t bode well or send a good message to the rest of the world at all.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

At this point I am not willing to concede any side got whipped last night. I am not saying it didn't happen, but I would need to look at a lot of numbers in the aggregate and then look at any nuances in the individual races.

For example, here in Texas the senate race is incredibly nuanced and each candidate this morning has a ledger of +'s and -'s  with numbers to back them up and what it means going forward.  In fact, I would wager that if reps from both sides got together in a room and the nature of their discourse was not disclosed to the public, I bet there would be 95% consensus on what the numbers mean, and any disagreements would be only by the thinnest of margins and not even necessarily about favor-ability to one side or the other.

Keep in mind this is just about interpretation of numbers, not actual policy or strategy about what to do going forward.

The president's party lost a chamber of Congress with an unemployment rate of 3.7%.

That's getting your shit shoved in.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

The president's party lost a chamber of Congress with an unemployment rate of 3.7%.

That's getting your shit shoved in.

Agreed. The fact that the electoral consequences of winning the popular vote by 8% aren't more pronounced is a story about gerrymandering and voter suppression, not a disappointing showing by the Dems.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I think Florida going the way it did is a big deal too.  They had the opportunity to reject Trumpism outright and instead embraced it.  That doesn’t bode well or send a good message to the rest of the world at all.

Yeah, but it's Florida, the state that can be counted on to 100% fuck things up as a matter of policy.

2 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Or you're idiotically pointing to races where Democrats were in dead heat races in ... wait for it:  Georgia, Florida and Texas as a concluded measurement that in no way measures up to your point.   

• Like 1