Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Put this in the "duh" category.  It suddenly struck me why the rubes lap up the "This the biggest and best __________ in the history of __________!!!!!"  It's because they lead sorry, sad little lives and now they have the President!!1!!  telling them that they are part of " The biggest and best __________ in the history of ________!!!!1!!1!!"  I mean, when you're uneducated idiotic trash and you have nothing else going for you, to have the President of the U.S. tell you that you're part of what he's claiming is happening, well, what could be better?  Amirite?

Comey is still my homie and in retrospect, his fuckups might end up a blessing in disguise. 

If not for Comey, Hillary would be President and the GOP would be looking at a supermajority tomorrow. 

Also, there would be no Mueller investigation if not for Comey.

He fucked us in the short term, but at least he’s working towards getting back on the right side of history.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, M12BH said:

Put this in the "duh" category.  It suddenly struck me why the rubes lap up the "This the biggest and best __________ in the history of __________!!!!!"  It's because they lead sorry, sad little lives and now they have the President!!1!!  telling them that they are part of " The biggest and best __________ in the history of ________!!!!1!!1!!"  I mean, when you're uneducated idiotic trash and you have nothing else going for you, to have the President of the U.S. tell you that you're part of what he's claiming is happening, well, what could be better?  Amirite?

And he tells them that what they do have is going to be taken away by terrorists, immigrants or pretty much anybody but him. Fear is one of, if not the, greatest weapons. 

Just a reminder: I hunt, wear camo, eat bbq, the whole nine yards.  I look pretty safe.  I spent some real time among the Trump base in an excursion into small-town Texas this weekend.  What they say when they think they're among the like-minded is actually worse and more raw than what they say at rallies and such, where they are on camera.

They are indeed as casually racist as you might imagine.  Yes, I heard at least one N-bomb.

They are as excited about the prospect of getting to shoot some Central Americans at the border as Icono on this board is.  Positively giddy and grinning.  Hell, they were having the same discussions about caliber and ballistics that I often have on opening weekend of deer season.  Except they were talking about human targets.

I'm not exaggerating - there's no need to.  The simple, unvarnished truth of who they are and how they think is more than enough.  

So, stop with the bullshit, and the excuses for them.  This is who 40% of America is.  It's people who hope theywin the raffle for that .308, because that would be a perfect round to take out this bitch:

5bdbde6ba427c.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

GIT SOME!!! 

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump's tweets against Dems have always seemed like one of those faces book things. Like month they were born in, and the last digit of your telephone number.

Weak on crime and bad for military!

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What they say when they think they're among the like-minded is actually worse and more raw than what they say at rallies and such, where they are on camera.

They are indeed as casually racist as you might imagine. 

I can confirm this phenomenon in the small town South because I live there.  

Just a reminder: I hunt, wear camo, eat bbq, the whole nine yards.  I look pretty safe.  I spent some real time among the Trump base in an excursion into small-town Texas this weekend.  What they say when they think they're among the like-minded is actually worse and more raw than what they say at rallies and such, where they are on camera.
They are indeed as casually racist as you might imagine.  Yes, I heard at least one N-bomb.
They are as excited about the prospect of getting to shoot some Central Americans at the border as Icono on this board is.  Positively giddy and grinning.  Hell, they were having the same discussions about caliber and ballistics that I often have on opening weekend of deer season.  Except they were talking about human targets.
I'm not exaggerating - there's no need to.  The simple, unvarnished truth of who they are and how they think is more than enough.  
So, stop with the bullshit, and the excuses for them.  This is who 40% of America is.  It's people who hope theywin the raffle for that .308, because that would be a perfect round to take out this bitch:
GIT SOME!!! 

Yeah I stumble across all sorts of horrible racism in the blind or on a boat. It’s amazing how casually the N word is tossed about by even younger guys. “Bomb the whole Middle East to glass”
Killary.
Libtards
Etc

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

'chusing'

George was such a dumbass.

i catch your irony, but this subject is interesting to me.  i've done a fair amount of reading the past several years of old documents.  it's shocking to us to see the casual way words and even people's names were spelled.  we are so conditioned to paying attention to spelling that it actually interferes with our understanding what people back then had no trouble with.  people spelled phonetically then, and if a word could likely be pronounced correctly, the spelling would be considered adequate.  there's an important legal document, so i've read, that has a man's name spelled three different ways.  all three spellings would be pronounced about the same, so all was good back then.  we are so picky that way that i wonder what affect it would have on the interpretation of a legal document today.

back then people's family names got changed sometimes without their knowledge on immigrating to this nation.  a scribe would ask the name and the applicant would respond.  apparently the scribes would never inquire the spelling but would just write down what it sounded like.  it really didn't matter.  the family could go right back to using the old spelling.  and it wasn't unusual for two or three slightly different spellings to be used by the children of the family.  some might stick with middlebrooks, say, while others take the name middlebrook, middlebrooke, or maybe something like mettelbrucken, which might have been the family name before immigrating.  with our emphasis on spelling it drives us nuts to study our family backgrounds, and most of us don't have that far to go.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

GIT SOME!!! 

I was passing through West Texas a few months ago.  Stayed in a Holiday Inn Express somewhere between Abilene and Lubbock, don't remember the exact town.  While partaking in the free breakfast buffet, I observed my surroundings.  It was Deliverance meets Cocoon.  The remote was sitting on the next table, and I thought about grabbing it and changing the channel from Fox to CNN for the LOLZ, but I was outnumbered 20-1, and I don't want my obituary to read that I died for changing the channel.  And this was pre-"invasion".

I think the Fox feedback-loop/brain rot is multiplied 10x in small town America.  My parents are Fox victims, but living in suburban Dallas, they are at least exposed to other people with varying points of view on a regular basis.  They may be Team Cheetoh, but they know that many of their family/friends are on Team Fuck Trump, and I think that at lease causes a little doubt in their mind.  If you live in Bumfuck West Texas and don't ever leave town, you might never encounter anyone who thinks differently than you,, ever.  Scary fucking thought.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SKJ said:

Trump's tweets against Dems have always seemed like one of those faces book things. Like month they were born in, and the last digit of your telephone number.

Weak on crime and bad for military!

Ha ha. It's really true. Your birth month is your Trump endorsement:

January: Tough on crime!
February: Supporter of 2nd Amendment!
March: Weak Opponent!
April: Wants a Wall!
May: MAGA!
June: Need him in Congress!
July: Low Energy Opponent!
August: Opponent supports Pelosi!
September: Supports the military!
October: Lying Opponent! Sad!
November: Big crowds at his Rally (lots of Supporters)!
December: Loves his Country!

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was passing through West Texas a few months ago.  Stayed in a Holiday Inn Express somewhere between Abilene and Lubbock, don't remember the exact town.  While partaking in the free breakfast buffet, I observed my surroundings.  It was Deliverance meets Cocoon.  The remote was sitting on the next table, and I thought about grabbing it and changing the channel from Fox to CNN for the LOLZ, but I was outnumbered 20-1, and I don't want my obituary to read that I died for changing the channel.  And this was pre-"invasion".

I think the Fox feedback-loop/brain rot is multiplied 10x in small town America.  My parents are Fox victims, but living in suburban Dallas, they are at least exposed to other people with varying points of view on a regular basis.  They may be Team Cheetoh, but they know that many of their family/friends are on Team Fuck Trump, and I think that at lease causes a little doubt in their mind.  If you live in Bumfuck West Texas and don't ever leave town, you might never encounter anyone who thinks differently than you,, ever.  Scary fucking thought.

Talked about that with the kids at dinner last night.  The concept of "somewhere" people vs. "anywhere" people.  I think the psychology of that is fascinating, and makes sense (discussion below is in the British context, but the psychology translates).

https://mikefrost.net/people-somewhere-vs-people-anywhere/

In his book The Road to Somewhere: The Populist Revolt and the Future of Politics, David Goodhart says society can be broken into two large groups.

First, there’s the Somewheres.

These are people whose identity is shaped by a sense of place and attachment to a group. In Britain, they could be a Scottish farmer, a working-class Geordie, or a Cornish housewife. The equivalent in the US might be an Appalachian car mechanic or Oklahoman farmer or Alabaman home-schooler.

They come from somewhere. They feel a deep attachment to their community, to a likeminded cohort, with a strong sense of where they’re from, sometimes with roots going back generations.

According to Goodhart, Somewheres have an ascribed identity. That is, an identity ascribed by the community and the place to which they belong. As a result, they value familiarity, security, and group attachments.

Goodhart says this group is less likely to be a college or university graduate. He estimates in total the Somewheres comprise around 50% of the British population.

Then, there’s the Anywheres.

Anywheres’ identity and self-worth is not tied to place, but rather to their achievements and position. While the Somewheres have an ascribed identity, the Anywheres have an achieved identity. Their values are more associated with their life experience than where they grew up. As a result, they tend to value freedom, openness, social diversity.

After all, if you have an achieved identity, you can fit anywhere. If you have an ascribed identity you only fit somewhere in particular.

Goodhart explains that people who grow up in the suburbs of large cities tend to be Anywheres, but even those kids who grew up in small towns and the country as Somewheres convert into Anywheres when they study at university.

Because residential colleges at universities uproot people from their home towns and sever their attachment to place, graduates are much more likely to become Anywheres. They replace their ascribed identities with the portable identities of the other Anywheres they’re studying with.

Add to that the fact that many British graduates often live and work in Europe for a time after university and it’s highly likely that they are well and truly Anywheres by their mid-20s.

“Anywheres are suspicious of group attachments—they don’t feel them themselves,” says Goodhart who numbers this group at around 25% of the British population.

It’s not simple enough to say these two groups are divided along strictly geographic lines. There are Somewheres in the big cities (working-class neighborhoods, for instance) and Anywheres in rural areas (upper-class professionals living in the country). The demarcation is based on where and how you construct your identity – either prescribed or achieved  – not just where you live.

You’ve probably figured out by now that Goodhart believes those who voted for Britain to leave the EU were the Somewheres who feel threatened by changes to immigration policy and the job market. Many trades and jobs in manufacturing and farming are being lost. If your ascribed identity is as a coal miner from Yorkshire and there’s no more coal mining in Yorkshire you’re going to feel incredibly unsettled.

It’s easier to think the problem is globalization and the influx of unskilled labor taking your jobs rather than where you get your values and identity from.

Goodhart’s ideas can explain why so many Americans rallied around Donald Trump in 2016. Rather than being “Deplorables,” as Hillary Clinton called them, they’re Somewheres undergoing a traumatic loss of identity.

In other words, it’s existential, not just economic.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

My aunt, who is the last surviving member on either side of my family prior to my sister & my cousins (so I have to be nice to her) has been a FOX newshound for decades.  I didn't really ever get what was happening.  I just wrote it off as goofy right wing echo chamber stuff.

Turns out it was a precursor to some pretty ugly shit.

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Talked about that with the kids at dinner last night.  The concept of "somewhere" people vs. "anywhere" people.  I think the psychology of that is fascinating, and makes sense (discussion below is in the British context, but the psychology translates).

That is a useful and interesting framework. 

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

That is a useful and interesting framework. 

And while it is of course (in the article, at least) oversimplified and binary, I agree.  Most folks are some blend of both (I sure as hell am an "anywhere" person....but I am a deeply-rooted 5th generation native Texan as well).  But just like many "conservatives" in the voter ID debate would ask incredulous questions like "who doesn't have an ID? You need one to drive, fly on a plane, buy a gun, etc.!", many liberals don't understand that there are millions of folks who live in Pissant, TX (or SD, or NE, or WY, etc.) who have never traveled more than a county away, save and except for a couple of trips to Dallas for the playoffs, or the beach for a weekend.  "Why would I ever leave Pissant?  It's God's country!"

Whereas I asked my kids, "if I told you tomorrow that my job required us to move to Finland, would you have an issue?"  Other than missing their friends, and the obvious adjustments, not really.  "Can you see yourself living in Portland, or Los Angeles, or DC, or Boston, or Montreal, or Mexico City?"  Sure.  Again, not that every person DOESN'T have a sense of place, but if you moved the folks I was among in west Texas even to Houston, they'd be WILDLY uncomfortable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pretty much exactly what I meant, written by someone who took more than 5 minutes to write it.  Thanks for posting.

And there's this, among other psychology-related articles:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

GIT SOME!!! 

So much this. It's astounding. With deer season opening last weekend I saw a handful of posts from acquaintances sitting in the deer blind with comments like "waiting for the caravan". Obviously, most were joking, I hope. But this phenomenon on the right, the dudes that go to church every Sunday, to openly joke about murdering poor brown people is sickening. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

And there's this, among other psychology-related articles:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-human-beast/201104/conservatives-big-fear-brain-study-finds

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity.

Fake news!  I'm...s...you're brain's got the...shell on it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Please tell me that's legit.

At first the brain thinks "wow, he's claiming a higher than 50% hit rate".

Then the brain's reserves kick in and all arrive at the conclusion "oh, he's claiming that he is more than 100% trustworthy".

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

And while it is of course (in the article, at least) oversimplified and binary, I agree.  Most folks are some blend of both (I sure as hell am an "anywhere" person....but I am a deeply-rooted 5th generation native Texan as well).  But just like many "conservatives" in the voter ID debate would ask incredulous questions like "who doesn't have an ID? You need one to drive, fly on a plane, buy a gun, etc.!", many liberals don't understand that there are millions of folks who live in Pissant, TX (or SD, or NE, or WY, etc.) who have never traveled more than a county away, save and except for a couple of trips to Dallas for the playoffs, or the beach for a weekend.  "Why would I ever leave Pissant?  It's God's country!"

Whereas I asked my kids, "if I told you tomorrow that my job required us to move to Finland, would you have an issue?"  Other than missing their friends, and the obvious adjustments, not really.  "Can you see yourself living in Portland, or Los Angeles, or DC, or Boston, or Montreal, or Mexico City?"  Sure.  Again, not that every person DOESN'T have a sense of place, but if you moved the folks I was among in west Texas even to Houston, they'd be WILDLY uncomfortable.

It would be interesting to study regular fox news viewers vs. CNN viewers, and survey how many of each has a passport.  I think we all know how the results would look. 

Saw a murder of Trumpkins on my way home tonight. They were perched on the overpass at Riverside or so and I35. They were holding huge signs that said things like "highest job growth ever" and "vote dem out" and other dumb shit.

Inquiring minds want to know: is that not some form of obstruction in the right of way? I mean traffic was slow, but i bet that shit could cause an accident at normal speed.

Anyway, bless their hearts.

1 minute ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He's thisclose to just coming out and saying you are unpatriotic (or un-Christian)  if you don't vote for R.

I’ve said the exact opposite many times.  And I’m right.  If you vote for Republicans in this election cycle, you are unpatriotic and unChristian.  And a dick.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Saw a murder of Trumpkins on my way home tonight. They were perched on the overpass at Riverside or so and I35. They were holding huge signs that said things like "highest job growth ever" and "vote dem out" and other dumb shit.

Inquiring minds want to know: is that not some form of obstruction in the right of way? I mean traffic was slow, but i bet that shit could cause an accident at normal speed.

Anyway, bless their hearts.

Saw them too.  There were Beto people a few months back doing something similar.  Nothing illegal about it.