Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Just now, babysdaddy said:

no, his press conferences (or lack thereof) had nothing to do with losing the house.  Your posting prognostication is the same is bigorange on the gambling threads.  The opposite of whatever you post is true.

The House flipping in this economy with this unemployment rate is a historic loss.

It happened because Donald Trump is president.

Just now, David Dennison said:

The House flipping in this economy with this unemployment rate is a historic loss.

It happened because Donald Trump is president.

Your first post was indicating that it was because of his behavior during press conferences, which is not true.  You can add in and change how you want to present why the house was lost but your initial post was wrong.  

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

It's kinda funny to watch him play the press when they think they're getting over.  He does this all the time.  It just plays to his base.  

It's no secret I do think the press is fairly biased.  Trump says stupid shit but it will be overshadowed by the way the press conducted themself.  It plays to his base.  He doesnt care how the left views this press conference. 

He can't win in 2020 by playing solely to his base. 

Just now, babysdaddy said:

Your first post was indicating that it was because of his behavior during press conferences, which is not true.  You can add in and change how you want to present why the house was lost but your initial post was wrong.  

No, it isn't. His behavior is a huge reason why he and his party lost power last night.

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I have the sick feeling that this is a win for them.

In the frame of traditional politics, sure, this looks like a win for the Dems and anti-Trumpists. But things are traditional right now. 

The United States electorate did not have a general gag reflex to Trumpism's white nationalism and fascist attitudes towards the press, law enforcement, and the weak.

All Trumpists lost was the house? That's it? Yay Dems. Whoopee.

In a healthy America, Trumpists never gain power. If they do slip into power, they get swept away by a generally disgusted electorate. 

That didn't happen.

A massive section of the electorate are dedicated to this man and his rhetoric. When he moves on, we'll likely get someone more dangerous taking the reins.

There's a reason the deplorables are happy this morning. By not being repudiated absolutely, they feel vindicated.

Sickeningly, they are.

this is well said.  on a discrete level, my life has been, is, and probably will remain pretty damn great under Trump.  and I do love this country, broadly speaking.  but i also care about more than just me and my own success and well being (which is directly opposite of the Trumpists' and the Trumps apologists' worldviews).   this is a country that i am embarrassed and ashamed of.    i really thought, or at least hoped, that we were better than this. 

having traveled to about a dozen other countries for pleasure since Trump has been elected, and having had the opportunity to talk to lots of people in and from around the world, i can say that we are absolutely the laughingstock of the world under Trump, because of Trump.  of course, Trump supporters are gleeful about that fact.

• Like 3

A massive section of the electorate are dedicated to this man and his rhetoric. When he moves on, we'll likely get someone more dangerous taking the reins.

There's a reason the deplorables are happy this morning. By not being repudiated absolutely, they feel vindicated.

Like RomaVicta said, they will begin searching for the next Trump before too long. Will the Ds search for a politician of equal vileness and malignancy? If they don't, can they defeat the Trumpkins?

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So it was 7th worst out of 19 and the worst midterm since WWII for a Republican President with the exception of the midterm election immediately following Watergate?

That actually does sound worse than I first thought.

I was looking at the results, regardless of what party was in power, compared with job approval. Seems like the net change in seats falls inline. 

I could argue Trump had an amazing night because he was only the third President in 100 years to lose seats in the House while gaining seats in the Senate during a midterm. In seriousness I would not call it an amazing night.

I was looking at the results, regardless of what party was in power, compared with job approval. Seems like the net change in seats falls inline. 
I could argue Trump had an amazing night because he was only the third President in 100 years to lose seats in the House while gaining seats in the Senate during a midterm. In seriousness I would not call it an amazing night.
Right, it falls in line with approval. Trump has poor approval ratings, and likewise his party lost a bunch of House seats.

It's not good or bad in terms of expectations, but it's bad in terms of losing 30-35 seats in the House.

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Losing the majority in one or both chambers is what you should look at. 

Donald Trump and Republicans lost power last night. 

12 minutes ago, retread said:

Like RomaVicta said, they will begin searching for the next Trump before too long. Will the Ds search for a politician of equal vileness and malignancy? If they don't, can they defeat the Trumpkins?

If the Dems have to sink to their level in order to defeat the GOP then what's the fucking point?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Just saw the video. OMG. When he walked from behind the podium I thought he was going to come down and take a swing at Acosta. He was seething.

It was definitely a threatening move. It would've been awesome if he had actually tried it. But he's too big of a pussy. 

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Just saw the video. OMG. When he walked from behind the podium I thought he was going to come down and take a swing at Acosta. He was seething.

Trump is a coward,  he isn’t going to punch anybody.   He’d rather settle out of court or dodge the draft than risk confrontation   

His whole life has involved surrounding himself with people who can’t (or won’t) talk back to him. 

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It was definitely a threatening move. It would've been awesome if he had actually tried it. But he's too big of a pussy. 

What is the secret service protocol there? Like if Trump wants to fight do they allow him to fight? I'm genuinely curious. These are things I used to not think about. 

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So it was 7th worst out of 19 and the second worst midterm since WWII for a Republican President if we throw out the midterm election immediately following Watergate?

That actually does sound worse than I first thought.

It's also after gerrymandering much more extreme than almost any of these midterms.  The dems won by around 9.5 points, almost double what the republicans won by when they took back the house under Obama.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You’re overthinking it.  He’s a useful idiot and the economy is strong.  I happily vote against my wallet but the fact remains most of America won’t.  That’s human nature.  

The minute Trump becomes useless to the R’s they’ll dump his ass and begin to revise history - acting like they were never all behind his fat ass.  

Maybe.

But the GOPs tried to dump his ass in the primaries and even at the convention. They found that he actually represented the bulk of their party. I think the GOPs you're talking about are hoping that this new base won't dump them.

They created this hateful base and thought that they could control it. Nope. All signs point to the base controlling them. When Trump becomes history, that base is still there hungering for somebody to save them from your nigras and your Mexicans.

Can you imagine the outrage if Obama had reacted that way to any member of the press. It would break the internet.

I predicted in one of these threads that regardless of the result, trump was going to go off the rails with either power or defiance, depending on the outcome. There is no telling what we're going to see these next two years. It will be both hilarious and a shitshow. 

Just now, Paul Wesley said:

Florida got tougher for Trump?  Really? 

Seems to me that they ran extremely Trumpish non-PC candidates (you know... racists), and they won.  

They just added 1.4M voters to the rolls too.  Felons who have paid their debts to society and regained the right to vote.  I'm sure there are a (very) few Trumpsters amongst them.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

What is the secret service protocol there? Like if Trump wants to fight do they allow him to fight? I'm genuinely curious. These are things I used to not think about. 

I'm pretty sure the SS (excuse me, the "Secret Service") would step in, restraint, and on a bad day perhaps even shoot Acosta.

1 minute ago, tjhooker said:

The media did not act like that for Obama.  Wrestling over a mic with a female WH staffer?

The media didn't "act like that for Obama" because Obama was a level-headed, intelligent man who could answer any question, and then the reporter would sit down.

By the way, there was no "wrestling" you fool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They just added 1.4M voters to the rolls too.  Felons who have paid their debts to society and regained the right to vote.  I'm sure there are a (very) few Trumpsters amongst them.

Fair point.  

Still, I was really surprised by Florida last night -- after hearing about all these motivated minorities, new voters,  and post-school-shooting emboldened youth -- despite all that, Rick Scott (who has narrowly survived some extremely tight races even in 2016) and Desantis both win.

(edit to add):  Also, I wouldn't say "very few" Trumpsters in Florida's prisons.  It's the land of white trash.

Edited by Paul Wesley

10 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

That's what is odd to me.

The amendment/question/resolution/whatever it was to allow felons to vote passed easily.  Yet, both the governor's and senator's race are essentially tied.

Trump is an unprofessional unpresidential classless jackass. He violates all norms in the ugliest of ways. He's an Atlantic City thug. 

Alec Baldwin has about equal self control.

Answer the questions, jerk! It's your job, you thin skinned clown. Every president does it, every president gets criticized. Do you remember "you lie!"!!

He's unfit.

Impeach his fat, unqualified ass.

He's a shitshow and a stone cold thief. And my word, he's RUDE and arrogant.

How can evangelicals defend this low rent low brow jackaloon.

He can dish it, but he CANNOT TAKE IT.

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

this is well said.  on a discrete level, my life has been, is, and probably will remain pretty damn great under Trump.  and I do love this country, broadly speaking.  but i also care about more than just me and my own success and well being (which is directly opposite of the Trumpists' and the Trumps apologists' worldviews).   this is a country that i am embarrassed and ashamed of.    i really thought, or at least hoped, that we were better than this. 

having traveled to about a dozen other countries for pleasure since Trump has been elected, and having had the opportunity to talk to lots of people in and from around the world, i can say that we are absolutely the laughingstock of the world under Trump, because of Trump.  of course, Trump supporters are gleeful about that fact.

Roma's post is well said. Its the inevitable slip to isolationism, populism, backwards ass thinking. and we all know its coming. This isn't even a liberal vs conservative commentary. This is simply do you want to be part of the changing world or be angry at?

The deplorables who continue to chose anger are happy today because they weren't ditched. They were legitimatized.

I sit here a liberal capitalist and haven't had a home pretty much ever in this country. We are a protectionist,, corporate police state with a bend to be generally amoral. We don't care about anything but ourselves and will ride this train until it derails.  

And we spend billions of dollars on a semi-permanent election soap opera while people in this country and abroad suffer due to our action/inaction. We are not a Christian nation at all. Our government (all of em) is a legitimate evil force in this world. From the war on drugs, to enabling/promoting inequality, to killing off environmental change, to you name it. Our federal government is fucking evil. Thankfully, there are still many wonderful Americans here that do wonderful things - from charity work to environment change and I try to do my part and look up to the others that do too, and try not to let the devils ruin my day. 

Edited by staboner
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Restored voting rights to felons.

Why do we think that felons break in a impactful way for D's over R's.

Compare the demographics of felons to the trump support demographics.  Layer in education level, SES, and voter turnout rates by all these factors and I am not sure its a world changer. In other words, Florida still gonna Florida.  

Capture.jpg

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

The media did not act like that for Obama.  Wrestling over a mic with a female WH staffer?

For starters, Obama was an adult, so completely different circumstances.  The media also didn't act that way for W., Clinton, Bush, Reagan, etc.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

When Trump becomes history, that base is still there hungering for somebody to save them from your nigras and your Mexicans.

That base will go back to doing what they did when Obama was Prez for 8 years.   They will just mumble under their breath and watch Fox News.  

Remember when Trump called Stormy horseface. I've been teasing Repubs all morning and they can't take it.

They're such (FAT) snowflakes. 

Trump is revealing how Repubs really feel today. As are the urchins on Q. They're pissed.

Lord, I hope Alex Jones is ok.