Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

As for the office of POTUS, it just comes down to whether that candidate can whip up the base into enough of a froth to win Fla., Ohio, and 1-2 of the upper midwest states (Michigan, Wisconsin, etc.).  And that's an ENTHUSIASTIC base - scared people vote.  The EC makes this very doable for a demagogue selling fear.

It's not that simple.  There are several states in the South which are trending blue.  

Chuck Todd did a little blurb on "Meet The Press" yesterday in which he went through current projections based on a variety of assumptions.  Yours was one scenario.  You're not accounting for others, and they had huge effects on the electoral college. 

Now, I know you're going to come back and assure us that yours is the only scenario that could possibly happen and JUST LISTEN TO ME WE'RE DOOMED, but some of us have big branes too.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not that simple.  There are several states in the South which are trending blue.  

Chuck Todd did a little blurb on "Meet The Press" yesterday in which he went through current projections based on a variety of assumptions.  Yours was one scenario.  You're not accounting for others, and they had huge effects on the electoral college. 

Now, I know you're going to come back and assure us that yours is the only scenario that could possibly happen and JUST LISTEN TO ME WE'RE DOOMED, but some of us have big branes too.

Sure, but you're not pessimistic enough.  You need to be more pessimistic.  

Just now, Brisketexan said:

He'll just ramp up the hate/blame machine again.  Find a story of an illegal who committed a crime, call some black guys thugs, and you're good.

In other words, appeal to his base. He's already got them. How is that going to attract new followers?

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

In other words, appeal to his base. He's already got them. How is that going to attract new followers?

Everyone appeals to their own base.  Maybe they get 60% of them to turn out.

Trump can get 80-90% to turn out if he cranks up the rage machine enough.  You don't need that many people to like you; you just need every person who likes you to show up and vote.

Translation: based on past performance, he is likely to win re-election in 2020.

I said "president Trump" in the summer of 2016,

I've said "eight years" since election day.

He's going to be re-elected.  Because fuck you libtards and your sweet libtears!  Few things motivate voters like anger and the chance to be cruel.  His voters are dedicated, and they will ALL show up for him in 2020.  Yes, including those folks who say, today, they don't like him, regret voting for him, etc.  They'll come around.  For the same damned reasons they voted for him in the first place.

Brisket is actually going to be sad when trump is gone by 2021 if not sooner. All that misanthropy and nihilism for nothing

Edited by Sawbonz

Brisket is actually going to be sad when trump is gone by 2021 if not sooner. All that misanthropy and nihilism for nothing

Well, it wouldn’t have been for NOTHING. It’s really helped me focus on my plan for drinking when it all goes to shit. I wasn’t prepared before.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump can get 80-90% to turn out if he cranks up the rage machine enough.  You don't need that many people to like you; you just need every person who likes you to show up and vote.

He still won’t have Hillary running. 

And he and the GOP are doing their best to drive up voter interest and enthusiasm on the other side.

And he and the GOP are doing their best to turn off moderates and those who were anti-Hillary voters. 

We have maligned the American voter for good reason (electing dotus) but the same electorate voted overwhelmingly for Obama. He will go down as a mediocre president and a badass human being, but people still voted for him despite accomplishing virtually nothing after his first two years when the congress flipped.

trump was an outcry from our marginalized fellow citizens. Was it stupid to vote for this conman? Yes. But they voted for him bc he's the first modern candidate that said free trade isn't fair trade and I'm going to fix it. He totally stole that from the 1980's Dems who became too snobby and wealthy to keep that as a platform to build on.

dems need to live and learn; don't run your smugness in and keep it real...no! Keep it treal (I believe that means keep it triple real) and nominate a candidate that is actually relatable.

The Russians are going to interfere hard in select races in 2018. The Democrats taking the House gives them subpoena power, which is very bad for Russia. Russia will actively oppose this in swing districts and lean R districts. 

43 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Or better yet, flip the script and run a bunch of anti-Trump pro Dem shit, just because they can. 

They are already doing this.  The Active Measures side of the interference will never go away and they will work both sides pushing the hatred for the other side.

We’re much better prepared on this front than in the past thanks to a lot of work from journalists, the Cambridge Analytica whistleblower, and Mueller’s indictments of the 13 Russians.  Sunlight is the best disinfectant when it comes to the propaganda trolls/bots.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

We have maligned the American voter for good reason (electing dotus) but the same electorate voted overwhelmingly for Obama. He will go down as a mediocre president and a badass human being, but people still voted for him despite accomplishing virtually nothing after his first two years when the congress flipped.

trump was an outcry from our marginalized fellow citizens. Was it stupid to vote for this conman? Yes. But they voted for him bc he's the first modern candidate that said free trade isn't fair trade and I'm going to fix it. He totally stole that from the 1980's Dems who became too snobby and wealthy to keep that as a platform to build on.
dems need to live and learn; don't run your smugness in and keep it real...no! Keep it treal (I believe that means keep it triple real) and nominate a candidate that is actually relatable.

Read the Atlantic piece. It ain’t about trade.

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Math is the reason why I don’t think Trumpism gets much more formal momentum. They (meaning voters and politicians) will turn on Trumpism in a snap once it’s a loser for them politically.  They may still be deplorables and won’t have actually changed their beliefs, true, but they will slink back off into the shadows again at least.  

I’m glad we don’t have a parliamentary system or a fractured multiverse with tons of political parties here like they do in continental Europe.  All those third parties sound nice in theory, but they guarantee the fringe crazies have their voices heard and typically lead to more radical shifts than we have in the USA.  It institutionalizes what we see with Trumpkins taking over the GOP where you have to deal with the 30% of nutters and give them a real place at the table, and makes that a permanent feature instead of an unfortunate outlier.

The two party system and winner take all elections, for all their faults, actually are stabilizing influences.  Some lament how similar the Dems and GOP are, but as frustrating as that can be sometimes, it’s more of a feature than a bug to have that inertia.  Trump isn’t even really introducing that much chaos, and it still sucks.  

We may be an Idiocracy, but the Idiocracy is fickle and doesn’t like losing.  They’ll pretend to be all fired up about quantum physics if that’s what the next charismatic leader says we need and is the key to beating the commie libtards / fascist right wingers.

how, my dear Matt, does Trump become a loser to them politically?

I can see only one scenario for that to happen - he does a third trimester abortion on TV while smoking. 

tumblr_ncoykiqiYP1svefdfo6_r1_500.gif

6 minutes ago, Pods said:

The Russians are going to interfere hard in select races in 2018. The Democrats taking the House gives them subpoena power, which is very bad for Russia. Russia will actively oppose this in swing districts and lean R districts. 

I respectfully disagree on them pushing hard. 

They are not going to have the confederate co-conspirators like they did in 2016. They aren’t going to be as influential with the micro targeting tools due to public awareness.  

Also, Russia wins with the dems taking the house and putting the GOP government corruption on blast via subpoena power.  “You see how corrupt the Americans are? Why would Russia ever want to be like them?”

Like Brisket said, they’ve already won.  We’re moving into the reconstruction era now.

37 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Trump even admits in his own book, “You can only keep the con going for so long.”

Moreover, now that Trump has a track record as a public servant, there is a SHITLOAD of material to work with as far as negative attack ads.  

I was brainstorming what some anti-Trump ads might look like and man, they are going to be savage. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Not enough.

They can never hate him enough.  Because hate for Trump doesn't come from inner anger, rage, and burning hate.  It doesn't come from a place of wanting to see others suffer.  It's just not enough.

Counterpoint. aggys 

Edited by brown water
Wrong quote.

52 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump even admits in his own book, “You can only keep the con going for so long.”

Moreover, now that Trump has a track record as a public servant, there is a SHITLOAD of material to work with as far as negative attack ads.  

I was brainstorming what some anti-Trump ads might look like and man, they are going to be savage. 

aYoX2rDO_o.png

Melania's right hand ... she can't help but imagine pushing him in the hole

FCpu9b.jpg

Edited by retread

30 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Today at the White House, Donald Trump works on his grave digging skills with French President, Emmanuel Macron.

DbgV2g6UwAAI9SC?format=jpg&name=large

What are you talkin about Emmanuel?

What am I talkin' about? I'm talkin' about sex, boy, what the hell you talkin' about? I'm talkin' about l'amour! I'm talkin' that me and Brigitte are swingers, as in "to swing." I'm talkin' about wife swappin'.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Man for a sixty some odd year old woman, Brigitte has really got it going on.

Imagine her as young Macron's teacher....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3399402/president-emmanuel-macron-wife-brigitte-trogneux-kiss-picture/

THIS is the moment French President Emmanuel Macron kissed his future wife - when he was aged just 15 and she was his married teacher 25 years his senior.

The 39-year-old, who smashed far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in an explosive election victory, wed grandmother-of-seven Brigitte Trogneux, who is aged 64, after an illicit affair.

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

From your lips to voters' ears.

Look, I'm going to be volunteering to drive people to the polls on election day.  I'm all-in on driving up good turnout.  But angry, hateful people are dedicated motherfuckers. Never bet against them.  They have a pretty solid, lopsided W-L record throughout human history.

Oh shit, don't forget to bring your walking around money to hand out.  You want to make sure they will actually show up to vote!