Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The best thing that could happen for the traditional wing of the GOP is to get slaughtered in the 2018 midterms to demonstrate the unviable, unsustainable nature of Trump's movement, and, therefore establish their importance. 

I agree with this which is why I’m not upset when I see one of these Trump bootlickers win their primary or oust a Mark Sanford.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

The Republican party is a soggy bag of shit and has been for a long time. Trump is a shit cocktail created by the GOP.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Do you mean “not neoconservative”?  

Do you define McCain as a neoconservative? 

I don't consider McCain a NeverTrumper since he doesn't identify as one. McCain is just a very concerned Republican senator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, F250 said:

The Republican party is a soggy bag of shit and has been for a long time. Trump is a shit cocktail created by the GOP.

I don't consider McCain a NeverTrumper since he doesn't identify as one. McCain is just a very concerned Republican senator.

Not my question.

Do you consider McCain a neoconservative?

The party of Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Mitt Romney, and John McCain did not want this to happen.  

They may not have wanted it. I have no idea what's in their hearts. But at least those that are alive are complicit. Hell, Romney's sister is sending fascistic messages and supported Roy Moore. Romney did and said nothing

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

They may not have wanted it. I have no idea what's in their hearts. But at least those that are alive are complicit. Hell, Romney's sister is sending fascistic messages and supported Roy Moore. Romney did and said nothing

Romney seems to be onboard the Trump train now.

Just now, F250 said:

Romney seems to be onboard the Trump train now.

I never liked Romney, which is why I voted for Gary Johnson in 2012.  However, Romney came out and warned the Republican Party about Trump in the beginning and he wasn’t running for anything.  

Now that he is running for something and Trump is president, his tune has dramatically changed.

I want to think there is some political rope-a-dope going on with the democrats and republicans.

Like they are are waiting for the right time to take out Trump and Trumpism when the political consequences will be nominal. 

If you come at the king, you best not miss.

8 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yeah.  He's running for Senate.  Can't actually do that standing for any fucking principles.  Especially if you're a Republican.

... which pretty much brings us full-circle to the Greenwald tweet.  #NeverTrump-ism exists only in media and in political figures not interested in running for office.  Once the general public is brought into the picture, #neverTrump goes away.

Romney is damn near President of the anti-Trump club, and even he realizes that is not a recipe for success in Republican elections. 

Edited by Chuckie Finster

31 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Which only hurts that party as is putting them in a corner which will be tough to climb out of. Republicans who are pushed around by these types and moderates will likely lean more democratic in the future.

Republicans are going short term success(?) over long term. Bad play IMO.

That's assuming there will be future fair elections.  We already know that the Russians hacked into voter roll databases and maybe computerized voting systems.  Our government hasn't done jack shit to stop this from happening again.  And the Trump administration collected the voter ID's of all voters with Hispanic sounding names in Texas and maybe other states.  And who the fuck is going to stop them from purging people from voter rolls.  The Republican governors or secretaries of state?  They aren't going to do a fucking thing.  Meanwhile they have just enough brain washed racists getting all their "news" from Fox to keep "re-electing" themselves.  It doesn't matter if they're reviled by most of the country.   We're acting like things are normal and we'll just vote out the crazies.  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I agree with this which is why I’m not upset when I see one of these Trump bootlickers win their primary or oust a Mark Sanford.

I think that ignores the legitimacy of the threat that Trump and his followers pose.  I have many disagreements with traditional Republicans, but I have to root that they regain control of the GOP.  While the Trump as dictator scenario seems unlikely in my opinion, I certainly recognize even a party realignment that has Trumpster taking over the GOP and enough traditional Republicans going to the Dems means that 1) The Trump party wins a significant number of elections, 2) the Democratic party becomes more conservative. That means the entire political landscape moves to the right and gets dumber. I'd much rather see the traditional Republicans retake the GOP and the Trump/racist/protectionist/realitytvstar movement marginalized.

14 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

... which pretty much brings us full-circle to the Greenwald tweet.  #NeverTrump-ism exists only in media and in political figures not interested in running for office.  Once the general public is brought into the picture, #neverTrump goes away.

Romney is damn near President of the anti-Trump club, and even he realizes that is not a recipe for success in Republican elections. 

Didn't Romney recently boast about being to the right of Trump on immigration?  Don't know how you can get much more to the right of kiddy prison camps.  I wonder what he has in mind, gas chambers? 

Edited by Fozzz

25 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

That's assuming there will be future fair elections.  We already know that the Russians hacked into voter roll databases and maybe computerized voting systems.  Our government hasn't done jack shit to stop this from happening again.  And the Trump administration collected the voter ID's of all voters with Hispanic sounding names in Texas and maybe other states.  And who the fuck is going to stop them from purging people from voter rolls.  The Republican governors or secretaries of state?  They aren't going to do a fucking thing.  Meanwhile they have just enough brain washed racists getting all their "news" from Fox to keep "re-electing" themselves.  It doesn't matter if they're reviled by most of the country.   We're acting like things are normal and we'll just vote out the crazies.  

I’ll just say, if they did do something about election security, it would be best to do it behind the scenes with Homeland Security informing the States of what the Russians were doing and how best to prevent a reoccurrence.

FTR, they did do this:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/02/19/readout-dhs-meetings-state-election-officials-and-other-election-sector-partners

If they publicized everything they were doing to combat interference by bad actors in the voting systems, it would only inform the Russians that they need to change their tactics and find some other way to rat-fuck elections.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Didn't Romney recently boast about being to the right of Trump on immigration?  Don't know how you can get much more to the right of kiddy prison camps.  I wonder what he has in mind, gas chambers? 

Romney said to bring all the illegals to Utah and the people there would “take care of them” and that we’d never hearof them again.   Something about housing them in temples and drinking their blood and using their skin for magical underwear or something. I’m sure he was joking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’ll just say, if they did do something about election security, it would be best to do it behind the scenes with Homeland Security informing the States of what the Russians were do and how best to prevent a reoccurrence.

FTR, they did do this:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2018/02/19/readout-dhs-meetings-state-election-officials-and-other-election-sector-partners

If they publicized everything they were doing to combat interference by bad actors in the voting systems, it would only inform the Russians that they need to change their tactics and find some other way to rat-fuck elections.

They don't have to tell us exactly what they're doing.  But they have to tell us they're doing something.  What they've done is lied to us.  The official statements are HOAX and WITCHHUNT.  Hell, Congress could pass a law tomorrow requiring paper backup of all computer ballots in the 2020 election.  It hasn't even been discussed.  

Meanwhile we're trusting the same people who are setting up kiddy concentration camps and lied about how many people died in Puerto Rico by a magnitude of around 70 and lie about every fucking thing to give a fuck about democracy and having fair elections.  And that they're doing so behind the scenes.

Edited by lemonlime
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I think that ignores the legitimacy of the threat that Trump and his followers pose.  I have many disagreements with traditional Republicans, but I have to root that they regain control of the GOP.  While the Trump as dictator scenario seems unlikely in my opinion, I certainly recognize even a party realignment that has Trumpster taking over the GOP and enough traditional Republicans going to the Dems means that 1) The Trump party wins a significant number of elections, 2) the Democratic party becomes more conservative. That means the entire political landscape moves to the right and gets dumber. I'd much rather see the traditional Republicans retake the GOP and the Trump/racist/protectionist/realitytvstar movement marginalized.

The “traditional” Republicans are not doing enough though.  They are content to just wait things out, rather than risk a twitter spat with Trump. 

I’m afraid Trump will hand things over to the Democrats with large enough numbers that the Dems go “it’s payback time bitches”.  They won’t try to simply fix what Trump did, they will make it harder for future policy changes. More importantly, when Texas and one or two others flip due to demographics, they won’t have to worry about the GOP. 

• Like 1

I don't remember seeing this quote during the G7 discussions, but wow...just, wow.

“I’m not for Russia, I’m for the United States, but as an example, if Vladimir Putin were sitting next to me at a table instead of one of the others and we were having dinner the other night in Canada, I could say ‘Would you do me a favor? Would you get out of Syria?’ ‘Would you do me a favor, would you get out of Ukraine? You shouldn’t be there. Just come on,” (Trump) said.

Why not done?

37 minutes ago, Chooky said:

I spoke to a frail and wise gentleman the other day who said his son would be saddened to see historical monuments removed after giving his life in Gettysburg.  The mother, still clutching her dead son's Hardee hat, became so emotional she had to put a leech on her forehead to relieve the headache.

this is plainly idiotic.  everybody knows the leeches go over near the temples.

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

I spoke to a frail and wise gentleman the other day who said his son would be saddened to see historical monuments removed after giving his life in Gettysburg.  The mother, still clutching her dead son's Hardee hat, became so emotional she had to put a leech on her forehead to relieve the headache.

il_570xN.1248192077_gcrz.jpg?version=0

Never Forget!

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Romney said to bring all the illegals to Utah and the people there would “take care of them” and that we’d never hearof them again.   Something about housing them in temples and drinking their blood and using their skin for magical underwear or something. I’m sure he was joking. 

Wait wait wait... these guys can drink each other's blood but they can't drink a Coke?

Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Is that real?

I know we’ve done this exercise before...but just imagine that Obama saluted a military officer of a brutal communist dictatorship. Fox would be running special reports on that for 2 months. It would be the reply to every thing anyone positive anyone says about Obama forever and ever - “oh yeah? See him here, saluting an officer of a murderous commie regime.”

What the everloving fuck?

I don't know why people still think Trump going full dictator is unlikely. It's not like he isn't already well down that path. SCOTUS just gave the Trump party the power to rig every election by purging Democratic voters. They're already rounding up and interning a certain class of undesirables using tactics extremely similar to those used by every other fascist regime in the history of the world. Trump publicly exhibits his contempt for democracy, democratic institutions, and other democratic nations at every opportunity, and publicly exhibits his clear love and admiration for murderous and genocidal strongmen at every opportunity. What more do we need to see before the people who aren't actively cheering it on start thinking it's more than unlikely? It's certainly possible that the Dems take the House in 2018 and win the White House in 2020, but it's hardly a guarantee at this point, and it's not like Trump is going to become LESS dictatorial between now and 2020.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Is that real?

I know we’ve done this exercise before...but just imagine that Obama saluted a military officer of a brutal communist dictatorship. Fox would be running special reports on that for 2 months. It would be the reply to every thing anyone positive anyone says about Obama forever and ever - “oh yeah? See him here, saluting an officer of a murderous commie regime.”

What the everloving fuck?

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I never liked Romney, which is why I voted for Gary Johnson in 2012.  However, Romney came out and warned the Republican Party about Trump in the beginning and he wasn’t running for anything.  

Now that he is running for something and Trump is president, his tune has dramatically changed.

I want to think there is some political rope-a-dope going on with the democrats and republicans.

Like they are are waiting for the right time to take out Trump and Trumpism when the political consequences will be nominal. 

If you come at the king, you best not miss.

This is why I'm holding my breath until after mid-terms.  If it's more of the same and Mueller doesn't throw down the hammer, that's when I will full on eject.

The time for eject is now (if not earlier).  JFC we have made enemies of our allies, made NK an ally, and kiddy concentration camps in the past week.   There's no super secret plot to fix things that lets this happen, and happen with support of the GOP.

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

The time for eject is now (if not earlier).  JFC we have made enemies of our allies, made NK an ally, and kiddy concentration camps in the past week.   There's no super secret plot to fix things that lets this happen, and happen with support of the GOP.

This needs to be painful, it needs to hurt.

So it never happens again. 

2 hours ago, lemonlime said:

This is where I'm at, I just have no faith in the state GOP controlled houses and senates in the purple states to deliver a fair count. I absolutely don't trust Georgia right now and have written to my congressmen to push a paper ballot initiative, it pisses me off so much.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The party of Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Mitt Romney, and John McCain did not want this to happen.  

But they knew the means they were using to get elected. Maybe they should have dared to guess what might happen in the future. All but one of those guys (if you're referring to HW) is pretty smart.

Edited by RomaVicta