Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Have never voted straight D in my life but I will in the midterms.

I’ve never been embarrassed to be an American until now.

I’m telling everyone that will listen to get out and vote for Bredesen here. Fuck Blackburn, fuck the R’s, and fuck Trump. Not to get too Briskety, but this election cycle can be the first step in a change in direction. Those that are passive and don’t try and make a difference cast their support for the current administration whether you decide to own it or not.

3 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you. Having children does not give you immunity from arrest and prosecution.” Jeff Sessions today

this is terrifying

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

I’m telling everyone that will listen to get out and vote for Bredesen here. Fuck Blackburn, fuck the R’s, and fuck Trump. Not to get too Briskety, but this election cycle can be the first step in a change in direction. Those that are passive and don’t try and make a difference cast their support for the current administration whether you decide to own it or not.

It's a bit more dire than that. If the people in this country don't show up in force this election cycle and repudiate everything that Trump and his band of criminals stand for, its probably too late. Two more years of Trump with a GOP house and senate will break this country.

If this administration's actions over the last year and a half don't result in a sweeping reversal of political power in this country, you can only assume that the majority of the country is OK with the direction we're headed. 

The result of Mueller's investigation won't matter, as Trump and the GOP have already shown that they plan on discrediting the results of his investigation as a "deep state" conspiracy. Efforts by the press to expose that bullshit line of thought will be discredited as "fake news". If the voters can't see that now, than that's who we are as a country.

I am somewhat optimistic that this country stands for better, but the polls in 2018 will determine whether I'm right or whether I've fundamentally misjudged the moral fiber of America. And if the GOP rolls this fall, it will be clear that this country was headed for failure long before Trump took office.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republican evangelicals need to shut the fuck up about this being a Christian nation. 

These God Damned motherfuckers are the Romans.  Caligula can’t hold a candle to Dotard.  The fact ‘Christians’ can’t see this is shocking.  

Lol.  Ok, the last sentence is bullshit.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

“I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order. If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then the Department of Homeland Security will arrest you and the Department of Justice will prosecute you. Having children does not give you immunity from arrest and prosecution.” Jeff Sessions today

I honestly thought this was a joke when I read it at first. This is not okay. We should not normalize this behavior and let it pass unremarked, solely because the scale of the other atrocities going on overwhelm it. 

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Saturday Night Massacre II?

Rudy needs to be in prison when this is all done. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nope  Rudy is trying to deflect Trump’s base from paying attention to the Trump Foundation stuff in NY.

Rudy is doing what he is paid to do. 

paid?  Fuck that.  Trump's gonna stiff him like a Puerto Rican Drywaller.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this is akin to enlisting for a war.  My grandfather didn’t want to risk his life flying a bomber around Europe.  He didn’t want to kill anybody.  But he signed up and went to war, not knowing if he’d win or even if he’d come back alive, because it was what he needed to do to help defeat evil.  

Well, you don’t have to risk your life to defeat evil in 2018.  You just have to vote for candidates who will stand up to Trump. You have to band together with Americans who, in more tranquil times, you might disagree with.  It’s temporary and it’s not what you’d usually do if the free world were secure, but it’s what you have to do now.

Drama queen.  

• Fuck You 4

putin.jpg

Saw that move today and cracked up. I think putin makes that move every night when he watches the news of trump’s latest antics.

http://kuow.org/post/immigrant-moms-seatac-prison-could-hear-their-children-screaming

“In most cases, they were taken into a different room like, ‘Here we’re going take your photograph,’” said U.S. Rep. Pramila Jayapal. “Then after the photo was taken, they were taken to a different room from their child. So they never got to say goodbye.”

They could hear their children screaming in the other room, Jayapal said.

“Screaming for their moms, asking for their moms. And they had to sit there and listen to that and still not be able to see them or hold them.”

Jayapal was able meet with some of the 177 women detained inside the jail. She said she was the first person to meet with many of these women; a few have also met with attorneys from the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.

“Unless they ask for an attorney, they don’t get given one,” she said.

Jayapal said about half of the women had their children taken away. These women were waiting at the border to seek asylum when they were separated from their children.

Jorge Baron, the executive director of the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, said he was also able to meet with women who had turned themselves in to Border Patrol seeking protection.

Two mothers were separated from their daughters, ages 11 and 15.

"They told me about walking into this room and at some point the officials said, you mother go this way and daughter you go the other way – and no warning that they were about to be separated, no chance to say goodbye," Baron said. "That was the last time these mothers had seen their daughters, about four weeks ago."

This is who we are now.  We are evil.   And this is just enraging.

Yep. Y’all are really starting to get it now.

None of his supporters pick up on this stuff.  They process each Trump statement one at a time, in each case coming to the conclusion that he’s right.  They lack either memory of his past contradictory statements or the logical circuitry necessary to compare his latest claim against his past claims.  To them, logic is unimportant.  Truth is determined by one criterion: did Trump say it?  As a result, they willingly believe all manner of mutually exclusive proposition pairs, and vacillate between defending a statement and opposing it depending on what Trump’s latest position is.

It would be quite amusing to watch such basic neural malfunction in real time, if it weren’t for the terrifying fact that these people vote.  

It’s cult 101. It’s not any more complex than that.

Yeah, we can be altruistic and go grass roots and try to get people to vote and all that stuff we were taught in 5th grade Civics class.

Meanwhile, DOTUS is painting fucking murals of himself on the walls of child prisons.

Do you people not see the disconnect?  He is following the fucking COOKBOOK.  At some point it becomes imperative that those who have a moral compass and a sense of what this country is about stop hoping that our laws and our Constitution are sufficient to hold back the floodwaters.  It might be time to start shoveling sand, or at least make a plan.

it's closer to this than we might think, i'm somewhat fearful to think.

trump has found his "other" and that is the immigrant. it started with the muslim ban, and is exemplified by this policy of ripping families apart to make it clear who is in charge of shit here in the united states of trump. this is how it always starts. attacks on the free press are also ringing alarm bells in my head.

I've never been more discouraged by what's going on in the country. I'm not sure there is anything he can do to have his party turn on him. The most recent primaries show that those who oppose him lose in the GOP primary. There's not a Republican running for office that dares to speak out for fear of losing at the ballot box. His antics have become the norm. My hope at this point is that November elections will flip both houses of Congress. If that doesn't happen I'm not sure we'll even recognize our country come 2020.

My lifelong dream to be British has apparently become reality!!!!

PS - FUCK TRUMP.  That mural is fucking haunting.  And I would tell Lindsay Graham to eat a dick but he would actually enjoy that.

All you motherfuckers better get out and volunteer for candidates who oppose this Trumpian horseshit slowly strangling our nation.  And y'all better vote.  And get your like minded friends to vote.  DO SOMETHING!  For the first time since November 2016, I actually feel something akin to fear.

I'm starting to feel all Briskety and I don't like it.  No sir.  Not one little bit.

This orange beast needs to be stopped.  And his conspirators and collaborators need to go right along with him.

I used to joke that I was a former Republican who would need to hold his nose and vote a straight democrat ticket in November. Now, I'm quite looking forward to it. Fuck every single one of them.

Have never voted straight D in my life but I will in the midterms.

I’ve never been embarrassed to be an American until now.

9edcffb49ebd9f73e3532829ba819089.gif

Not all Trump supporters are evil.  They’re just ignorant and/or indoctrinated.

They are Americans too.  Never lose sight of this or your side will be no better than theirs.

This was their fatal mistake, labeling democrats as evil brainwashed communists that should be put to death.

If you hate them, they win.

They’ve already won. And let’s be clear...hating people who gleefully support and celebrate evil and cruelty? That’s a good thing. They can’t be reasoned with. They can only be fought, and defeated.

We are divided. We cannot be reunited.

Just calling it like I see it.

The United States in 2018 is basically a nationwide Stanford Prison Experiment, with Trump supporters playing the role of the guards.  

We’re seeing first-hand an ugly side of human nature that’s been observed before in the lab and in real-life places like Nazi Germany.  Hardline Trump supporters may not be intrinsically evil, but it doesn’t take much to talk them into it.

Perfect. It’s not the evil they do, so much as the evil they happily go along with.

Long ago, I was in a situation of increasingly questionable ethics. Getting uncomfortable was one thing. Starting to talk subtly with others about concerns was another. But it wasn’t until I hit the point where I couldn’t deny what was happening, and I said “nope, this is no good and I’m not going to be a part of it. We need to stop, now.” Seriously, it was about that plain and abrupt. That’s what it takes to break the chain: you have to go “full stop.”

Trumpers are still at the enthusiastic support stage. There’s no hope for them.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable with the government openly citing the Bible to justify policy.

It has a sharia law feel.

I don’t know what’s worse. Them citing the Bible, or them twisting it and prooftexting to reach conclusions that are directly contrary to the gospel.

It's a bit more dire than that. If the people in this country don't show up in force this election cycle and repudiate everything that Trump and his band of criminals stand for, its probably too late. Two more years of Trump with a GOP house and senate will break this country.

If this administration's actions over the last year and a half don't result in a sweeping reversal of political power in this country, you can only assume that the majority of the country is OK with the direction we're headed. 

The result of Mueller's investigation won't matter, as Trump and the GOP have already shown that they plan on discrediting the results of his investigation as a "deep state" conspiracy. Efforts by the press to expose that bullshit line of thought will be discredited as "fake news". If the voters can't see that now, than that's who we are as a country.

I am somewhat optimistic that this country stands for better, but the polls in 2018 will determine whether I'm right or whether I've fundamentally misjudged the moral fiber of America. And if the GOP rolls this fall, it will be clear that this country was headed for failure long before Trump took office.

Man, y’all really ARE getting it.

Rudy needs to be in prison when this is all done. 

No, he doesn’t.

He needs to be Nuremberged.

5 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Many religious conservatives are pretty aghast right now.  I’m as big a critic of religion as there is, but not all Christians are hypocrites.  Most truly believe in the morality they preach.  It’s one thing to look past personal indiscretions as a trade for another Gorsuch. It’s another thing to ignore child prisons and forced separation. 

Trump is a moron and he’s pushing shit too far too fast.  He should have boiled the frog more slowly, but got impatient.  Those who saw this coming need to capitalize on his mistake.  Talk to reasonable, compassionate conservatives you know.  Tell them it’s okay to think this is wrong.  Tell them it’s okay to vote for the “other team” because we’re all on the same team now and we all share the same goal of stopping Trump before he destroys the greatest nation on Earth.

Oh, I know plenty who are upset.  But I don't see serious action.  This may not be approaching the levels of slavery as far as inhumanity, so I don't expect the kind of movement and actions of the Christians who founded the abolition movement.

My wife's main pastor (she goes back-and-forth between two churches) was one of the main speakers at the Southern Baptist shindig yesterday.  Ironically, his time was shuffled because of Pence.  I've heard plenty of his sermons over the past 10 years, and before the 2016 election, he made some comments that....made it clear he wasn't thrilled with either of the choices, but it wasn't too blatant, to the point people would get upset.  His church sends plenty of people to India, Africa, South America, etc., and they even have Spanish-language services at the church.

If he were to stand up Sunday morning and speak out against this stuff with the children, there would be a few hundred people who stand up and walk out.  

I have absolutely no doubt that many people at the church would support him, and are uncomfortable, but many will still pull that lever for the Rs come November.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/health/immigrant-family-separation-doctors/index.html

The toddler pounded her fists on the play mat, sobbing, with no parent to comfort her.

Dr. Colleen Kraft watched from across the room, shaken by what she saw.

"She was just inconsolable. ... We all knew why she was crying," says Kraft, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics. "She was crying because she wanted her mother, and there was nothing we could do."

Kraft had been invited by local pediatricians to visit a government shelter for immigrant children in Combes, Texas. The majority of the kids there, she says, had been separated from their parents.

"I've never been in this situation where I've felt so needlessly helpless," she told CNN. "This is something that was inflicted on this child by the government, and really is nothing less than government-sanctioned child abuse."

Kraft visited the shelter -- one of more than 100 in the country -- this spring, shortly before administration officials announced that every person caught illegally crossing the border would be referred for prosecution, effectively making it an official policy to separate children from their parents. 

Administration officials have defended the approach, arguing they're protecting children in custody and that separations of immigrant families at the border are no different than what happens when anyone accused of a crime is arrested.

But since her visit, Kraft has been trying to convince them otherwise. 

She's released statements condemning the practice of separating families, warning that children torn from their parents experience serious short- and long-term health consequences. 

The association she leads -- which represents more than 65,000 members across the United States -- has sent multiple letters to the Department of Homeland Security, calling for a change of course.

The pediatricians' group isn't the only one that's taken a stand. So have the American College of Physicians and the American Psychiatric Association. Together, the three organizations represent more than 250,000 doctors in the United States.

"The effect of this type of event will follow these children into adulthood and into their entire lives," Dr. Ana Maria Lopez, president of the American College of Physicians, told reporters Thursday. "Our federal government is causing a situation that is creating a host of potential health consequences for an entire category of people."

Kraft says there's nothing political about the points she and other doctors are making.

"This is injustice against the most vulnerable people on this planet: little children," she says. "And we can't stay silent."

In the waiting room of Dr. Julie Linton's office, a 2-year-old boy sat on the floor and refused to let go of his mother's leg. 

"It was almost like he wouldn't let her out of his sight," says Linton, a pediatrician in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

His 5-year-old brother, meanwhile, was sitting quietly in a chair, his eyes glued to the ground. 

The two children had been separated from their mother at the border and had just been reunited after three months apart. Linton says the trauma they'd been through was clear. 

She says federal officials took her daughter while she breastfed the child in a detention center

That was some two years ago, under the Obama administration, when the practice was less common. 

Now, Linton says, the situation is far more dire.

"Now it's a systematic policy to create the same kind of trauma that, before, I saw really on a case-by-case basis," she says. "Now we're systematizing something that we know is incredibly harmful and incredibly cruel."

This is who we are.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this is akin to enlisting for a war.  My grandfather didn’t want to risk his life flying a bomber around Europe.  He didn’t want to kill anybody.  But he signed up and went to war, not knowing if he’d win or even if he’d come back alive, because it was what he needed to do to help defeat evil.  

Well, you don’t have to risk your life to defeat evil in 2018.  You just have to vote for candidates who will stand up to Trump. You have to band together with Americans who, in more tranquil times, you might disagree with.  It’s temporary and it’s not what you’d usually do if the free world were secure, but it’s what you have to do now.

Tell it like it is.

Call it "War on Trump"

Fuck all that tippy toeing around and just call it like it is.

War on Trump

Aka war on fascism

Aka war on internment camps...

Etc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

He should read this:

http://www.kingwatch.co.nz/Law_Government/romans_13.htm

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

They’ve already won. And let’s be clear...hating people who gleefully support and celebrate evil and cruelty? That’s a good thing. They can’t be reasoned with. They can only be fought, and defeated.

We are divided. We cannot be reunited.

Just calling it like I see it.

There are some evil Trump supporters, no doubt.  The Nazis and white supremacist elements are bad people and should not be tolerated.

However, as someone that lives in the middle of Trump country, I can tell you there are many decent people that support Trump. 

They are not bad people and they can be persuaded if carefully challenged.  

We should pull these people closer in instead of pushing them away.  By rejecting them outright, we are only reinforcing their warped binary “us vs them” worldview and exacerbating the problem.

We should ask them questions and listen but don’t placate them.  Ask them how they think Trump contributes to forming a better society.  Ask them the hard questions and see where the conversation goes.

The challenge in this process is not allowing yourself or the other participant letting their emotions take over.  Also, avoiding coming off as condescending can be tough.  It’s an uncomfortable conversation but necessary if we are going to start to heal the divisions.

Of course, it’s easier to just hate these people and write them off as evil but that will only lead to nothing but more hate, anger, isolation, and everyone will lose.

We are divided but there is little doubt in my mind we can be reunited.  If aliens invaded, I’m sure we’d come together real quick. We have survived a Civil War, I’m confident we can survive this.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 3:43 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:
7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Perfect. It’s not the evil they do, so much as the evil they happily go along with.

This.  Except it's not the evil "they" do.  It's the evil "we" do.  This is our government, doing evil in our name.   We are all going along with it.  Some of us may not be happy about it, and may not be as complicit as others.  But we don't get the privilege of blaming just, say Sessions, or Trump voters.  It's not enough to turn out every 4 years to vote and post on a message board.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife's main pastor (she goes back-and-forth between two churches) was one of the main speakers at the Southern Baptist shindig yesterday.  Ironically, his time was shuffled because of Pence.  I've heard plenty of his sermons over the past 10 years, and before the 2016 election, he made some comments that....made it clear he wasn't thrilled with either of the choices, but it wasn't too blatant, to the point people would get upset.  His church sends plenty of people to India, Africa, South America, etc., and they even have Spanish-language services at the church.

If he were to stand up Sunday morning and speak out against this stuff with the children, there would be a few hundred people who stand up and walk out.  

He is supposed to be a faith leader.  He doesn't have to tell his congregants that they're evil morons.  But he does have a professional obligation to speak out and to actually lead his congregants.  That is his job and his professional responsibility.  

President Donald Trump reportedly joked that Fox News is not as friendly toward him as North Korean state TV is toward Kim Jong Un. According to The Washington Post, Trump cracked the joke after watching how North Korea’s state-run TV network covered his meeting with Kim. He also jokingly suggested, according to the Post, that the main North Korean TV anchor should get a job with a U.S. network. Trump watches Fox News religiously, especially its morning show, Fox & Friends, and its primetime hosts including Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham.

I wish I believed in hell because I could at least take some comfort knowing he ultimately would suffer for this evil. Instead he creates hell on earth for these families and gets to keep believing it’s cool with god.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SKJ said:

Tell it like it is.

Call it "War on Trump"

Fuck all that tippy toeing around and just call it like it is.

War on Trump

Aka war on fascism

Aka war on internment camps...

Etc

Bless your heart.  I wish you luck in your war against both non-existent fascism and internment camps.  

• Fuck You 4

Sessions line of thinking is pathetic on so many levels.  This is a country built on rebellion against unfair laws.  There are countless countries now and over time where we would encourage their citizens to rebel against their laws simply because it was the right thing to do (yet going against this particular verse of the bible).

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Republican evangelicals need to shut the fuck up about this being a Christian nation. 

Robert Wilonsky had an excellent take down of Robert Jeffress the other day on this topic. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/06/07/robert-jeffresss-gospel-division-not-represent-dallas

Evangelicals have poisoned the church, widened the generational divide inside our families, thereby fucking up our Thanksgiving.  Good luck convincing youth with suberb bullshit detection your hypocrite church leaders aren't politicizing Christ.  Keep telling yourselves they'll eventually return to your flock.  They gone.  We are divided.  We will not be reunited.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

I'm actually glad this is happening. Not unsurprising either, the people that vote in Repub primaries are the Fox news crowd, not the Wall Street Journal crowd. Getting the full on Trumpers on the ballot in November will give the Dems a leg up on the moderate vote, which can hopefully sway a handful of the tight races. 

Or it could totally backfire and the country gets sucked down into the 10th level of hell.

After all, these people literally believe that it's Democrats that are keeping a Republican President, a Republican House, and a Republican Senate from accomplishing things, though they suffer from some cognitive dissonance, since they simultaneously believe that no President has ever accomplished more during their respective terms to date.

13 minutes ago, LongestHorn said:

Evangelicals have poisoned the church, widened the generational divide inside our families, thereby fucking up our Thanksgiving.  Good luck convincing youth with suberb bullshit detection your hypocrite church leaders aren't politicizing Christ.  Keep telling yourselves they'll eventually return to your flock.  They gone.  We are divided.  We will not be reunited.

not in the traditional sense, no.  but what's being exposed right now will become the guideposts for future generations of this nation.  the most damning thing you will be able to say about a despised politician will be to say he/she is just another trump.  watergate had something of that effect but it didn't begin to go far enough.  just enough was aired to make the situation worse.  to make a monster like kissinger but not begin to deal with it.

our young generations are showing a lot of promise.  how they incorporate the lessons we are being forced to learn is going to be the answer.  the rot cannot be touched.  just outlived.  if new wood is good, it will eventually take over.  poisons that permeated elements of this nation since before independence have taken this long to come out, and the cure is going to take a long time and be very unpleasant.