Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

57 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Holding children hostage to leverage negotiations on immigration reform. Absolutely disgusting. Par for the course from an absolutely disgusting human being.

That is terrible, but you and I know it's mostly about the wall. Somehow it makes it worse, but I'm having a hard time comprehending how evil this is. It's overwhelming like when you try to think of how large the universe is. It's unfathomable, and so are the depths to which Trump will go just to score a petty win for his ego.

The silence from the Surly Trump water carriers today is being noticed.

Go ahead and turn a blind eye to these atrocities, and wait for some piece of good economic news to re-enter the discussion.  We know that in the end, all that matters to you is your own well being. 

14 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

That is terrible, but you and I know it's mostly about the wall. Somehow it makes it worse, but I'm having a hard time comprehending how evil this is. It's overwhelming like when you try to think of how large the universe is. It's unfathomable, and so are the depths to which Trump will go just to score a petty win for his ego.

It’s not about the wall.  Even the wall isn’t about the wall.  It’s about fueling anger and hate, always has been.  

• Like 2

https://nypost.com/2018/06/15/trump-told-shinzo-abe-hed-ship-25-million-mexicans-to-japan/?utm_source=reddit.com

“Shinzo, you don’t have this problem, but I can send you 25 million Mexicans and you’ll be out of office very soon,” Trump said, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a senior EU official who was in the room.

What Mexicans? Isn't that human trafficking? Who is paying to ship 25 million Mexicans to Japan? Oh probably Mexico - just add it onto their wall bill.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Trump Qaeda: "The Americans forced us to bring down the twin towers with their activities in the middle east.  Any end to our terrorism MUST HAVE an agreement to withdraw all US forces from the Middle East, installing a caliphate in the West, and surrender of America to Osama Bin Laden.  Go for it!  WIN!"

How about this, fucking DOTARD -- you're holding children hostage, and we don't negotiate with terrorists.

29 minutes ago, Pods said:

Well, when you understand that he's Putin's Manchurian Candidate, it kinda all makes sense now, don't it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, when you understand that he's Putin's Manchurian Candidate, it kinda all makes sense now, don't it?

Yes it does. I'm surprised any posters on here can't see it at this point. Literally no one thinks Trump is innocent. The conversation is only about whether he's going to get caught. In the meantime, Trump is sabotaging our international standing, separating families and imprisoning children, undermining the freedom of the press and judiciary and generally shitting on the future of this country as quickly as he can. 

In the end though, it's actions that matter to history. It doesn't fundamentally matter whether he's doing this because he's infatuated with Putin, or in Putin's pocket, Trump is a fucking traitor. After his recent actions wanting to cede Crimea to Russia and re-admit Russia to the G7 plus saluting an enemy military officer, I don't see how any patriotic American can still support him. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Pods said:

Yes it does. I'm surprised any posters on here can't see it at this point. Literally no one thinks Trump is innocent. The conversation is only about whether he's going to get caught. In the meantime, Trump is sabotaging our international standing, separating families and imprisoning children, undermining the freedom of the press and judiciary and generally shitting on the future of this country as quickly as he can. 

In the end though, it's actions that matter to history. It doesn't fundamentally matter whether he's doing this because he's infatuated with Putin, or in Putin's pocket, Trump is a fucking traitor. After his recent actions wanting to cede Crimea to Russia and re-admit Russia to the G7 plus saluting an enemy military officer, I don't see how any patriotic American can still support him. 

Librul tears, and her emails. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

There’s been a lot of things that I thought might possibly be one of those tipping points that help the Dems in the midterms and in 2020, only to see them peter out  

I feel like this is definitely something that will help.  It’s simple, it will tug at even the most diehard of female Trump supporters, and even his supporters in College Station have enough brain cells to know that he and the GOP have the power to do something  

This is further proof Trump is a fucking moron. As if we needed more proof.  Trump is deliberately creating an issue where there didn’t need to be one.   The Dems were already flipping seats well before this, and it would be just like our first aggy President to give the Dems Congress as the Russian stuff plays out under Mueller  

And the GOP better be praying that no footage comes out. As fucking incompetent as the Dems are, they can’t fuck up video of crying children being separated from their mothers. 

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It’s not about the wall.  Even the wall isn’t about the wall.  It’s about fueling anger and hate, always has been.  

This. He’s tapped into the fact that millions in this country still hate or are afraid of people that aren’t white. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There’s been a lot of things that I thought might possibly be one of those tipping points that help the Dems in the midterms and in 2020, only to see them peter out  

I feel like this is definitely something that will help.  It’s simple, it will tug at even the most diehard of female Trump supporters, and even his supporters in College Station have enough brain cells to know that he and the GOP have the power to do something  

This is further proof Trump is a fucking moron. As if we needed more proof.  Trump is deliberately creating an issue where there didn’t need to be one.   The Dems were already flipping seats well before this, and it would be just like our first aggy President to give the Dems Congress as the Russian stuff plays out under Mueller  

And the GOP better be praying that no footage comes out. As fucking incompetent as the Dems are, they can’t fuck up video of crying children being separated from their mothers. 

The democrats have the truth on their side, at least waaay more so than the Republicans.  If they can’t win with that, then we truly are fucked.

Ibis Obeida Guzman Colindres was supposed to see her son again in three days.

That’s what she said she was told when a federal official took the 5-year-old away at an immigration facility in Texas. They would be reunited after Guzman Colindres went to court.

“He was crying and crying,” she recalled, speaking in Spanish by phone from the Federal Detention Center in SeaTac, where she is being held. Three days came and went, and then weeks more. She said she never went to court, nor heard anything more about being reunited with her son.

• “It’s been a month and I haven’t heard my son’s voice,” she said.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/immigrant-held-in-seatac-prison-hasnt-seen-her-child-since-may-i-havent-heard-my-sons-voice/

Edited by Mapache

Occasioanlly I talk to Trump supporters and ask them similar questions on what their explicit concerns are with democrats and liberals beyond “they are ruining America.”  The reaction is similar to those in this thread.  They accuse me of being a closet liberal and generally get agitated at any questioning that attempts to drill down what they’re thinking beyond vague concerns & fears and the rise of Marxism and so forth.

This is why objectivity verifiable accusations are preferred: it’s not that it isn’t true that Trump is ruining America; my point is that this is a vague accusation that one can make about any leader (and one that is made to just about every leader) that is so broad that it really means nothing and is easily dismissed.  However, if you can state the concerns in more explicit detail, then this is not so easy to dismiss.  It’s even harder to dismiss when one makes fairly accurate predictions about the negative actions they’ll do and effects that come from those actions. Also, it could be the case that you find some of your concerns are unfounded.  

I realize at this point that I probabaly won’t be extended the benefit of the doubt, but this was my line of reasoning.  It was nothing more than trying to get a better understanding on the potentially verifiable concerns.  I understand many think he’s terrible; I’m trying to better understand what exactly you mean by terrible and ruinous.  I’m still interested in that.  If any of these concerns come to pass (again, something more concrete than “Trump is an embarrassment”) I will be the first to come back here and claim that said poster was right about the situation and this absolutely would shape the way I see things.  

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The democrats have the truth on their side, at least waaay more so than the Republicans.  If they can’t win with that, then we truly are fucked.

You'll know if we're fucked in a few short months.  D's haven't been able to win with facts up to this point and I'm not sure if they can win in '18.  It truly is up to the electorate now what road we take.  Everything is out in the open for the last year for the rational folks to see.  It's up to them to reject it or not.  Elections have consequences.  This next one is do or die.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

He sounds like Axiom of Choice from the last site, in which case he isn't a troll, just a really analytical dude.   But I don't know. 

If he is Axiom of Choice then I would give him the benefit of the doubt. The dude engaged in conversations like a Vulcan on shaggy, which I respect.

10 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Occasioanlly I talk to Trump supporters and ask them similar questions on what their explicit concerns are with democrats and liberals beyond “they are ruining America.”  The reaction is similar to those in this thread.  They accuse me of being a closet liberal and generally get agitated at any questioning that attempts to drill down what they’re thinking beyond vague concerns & fears and the rise of Marxism and so forth.

This is why objectivity verifiable accusations are preferred. It’s not that it isn’t true that Trump is ruining America; my point is that this is a vague accusation that one can make about any leader (and one that is made to just about every leader) that is so broad that it really means nothing and is easily dismissed.  However, if you can state the concerns in more explicit detail, then this is not so easy to dismiss.  It’s even harder to dismiss when one makes fairly accurate predictions about the negative actions they’ll do and effects that come from those actions. Also, it could also be the case that you find some of your concerns are unfounded.  

I realize at this point that I probabaly won’t be extended the benefit of the doubt, but this was my line of reasoning.  It was nothing more than trying to get a better understanding on the potentially verifiable concerns.  I understand many think he’s terrible; I’m merely trying to better understanding what exactly you mean by terrible and ruinous.  I’m still interested in that.  If any of these concerns come to pass (again, something more concrete than “Trump is an embarrassment”) I will be the first to come back here and claim that said poster was right about the situation and this absolutely would shape the way I see things.  

I gave you a list of 10 in explicit detail and you ignored 9 of them. Enough with this fucking charade.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

This is why objectivity verifiable accusations are preferred. It’s not that it isn’t true that Trump is ruining America; my point is that this is a vague accusation that one can make about any leader (and one that is made to just about every leader) that is so broad that it really means nothing and is easily dismissed.  However, if you can state the concerns in more explicit detail, then this is not so easy to dismiss.  It’s even harder to dismiss when one makes fairly accurate predictions about the negative actions they’ll do and effects that come from those actions. Also, it could also be the case that you find some of your concerns are unfounded.  

I realize at this point that I probabaly won’t be extended the benefit of the doubt, but this was my line of reasoning.  It was nothing more than trying to get a better understanding on the potentially verifiable concerns.  I understand many think he’s terrible; I’m merely trying to better understanding what exactly you mean by terrible and ruinous.  I’m still interested in that.  If any of these concerns come to pass (again, something more concrete than “Trump is an embarrassment”) I will be the first to come back here and claim that said poster was right about the situation and this absolutely would shape the way I see things.  

"He's keeping brown children in concentration camps" is an objectively verifiable accusation. Fuck off with your concern trolling.

Very few of my Republican friends have come out and criticized Trump or the Republican Party. That makes me think they are mostly fine with what’s going on. However, every middle of the road friend (who are either independents or slightly leaning left or right) will not vote Trump or the Republican Party, myself included, except for a rare extremely moderate Republican candidate, and maybe not even then. They can’t be trusted anymore. They are presiding over hugely irresponsible financial decisions. That and the other embarrassments are enough to swing a lot of races in the mid-terms but not deeply red states like South Carolina.

10 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Just because someone can't assign a numeric value to a specific concern doesn't make that concern any less valid.  There were plenty of concrete, actual answers to your question.  And the fact of the matter is that many of the most alarming consequences stem from unquantifiable concerns.  Slow, deliberate erosion of political and societal norms are what allow the truly horrific consequences to materialize.    

[Aphelion runs a car company]

Engineers: This car is a death trap. You can't sell this car to the public.
Aphelion: I'm going to need to hear your concerns in explicit detail and see some quantifiable predictions of why you think this car is so dangerous.
Engineers: Look at this thing, it's plainly obvious at this point that this car is a death trap. The fucking doors won't stay closed.
Aphelion: Explicit detail please.
Engineers: It has failed every safety test, you fucking idiot.
Aphelion: Explicit detail please.
Engineers: I just gave you explicit detail. You're ignoring it.
Aphelion: That's just a negative action, it doesn't mean it will cause permanent damage on the roads once it hits the market. I need quantifiable predictions of what permanent damage this car could cause in the future. I agree it looks bad, but I can't understand until you give me predictions.

Aphelion sells 100 cars. 75 of them explode on the highway in the first day.

Aphelion: I would like to come back here and say, the engineers were right. This absolutely shapes the way I see things now.

Edited by TornACL
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aphelion said:

Is this not "objectively verifiable" as despicable rhetoric that is bad for America?  Holding families and children hostage for a fucking wall that he knows goddamned well does nothing to slow illegal immigration?  Blaming an opposing political party for a policy of imprisoning children in camps, which he could stop today if he really wanted to?   When his party controls all three branches of government?  You really don't see why people are not accepting your bullshit?

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

If he is Axiom of Choice then I would give him the benefit of the doubt. The dude engaged in conversations like a Vulcan on shaggy, which I respect.

Same guy.  He’s Ted Cruz smart.  That is, he has a talent for constructing clever, but ultimately flawed, arguments in support of obvious bullshit.  Waste of brainpower, imo.

18 minutes ago, Pods said:

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in a time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

8 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Pssssst.....they can't.   "A lie gets halfway around the world before truth puts on its boots.'”   Lies win.  Big lies win big.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Needs to be repeated and simplified for effect: The President of the United States is holding children hostage. 

You sound like a pussy libtard.

Your tears are delicious.

MAGA!

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Just because someone can't assign a numeric value to a specific concern doesn't make that concern any less valid.  There were plenty of concrete, actual answers to your question.  And the fact of the matter is that many of the most alarming consequences stem from unquantifiable concerns.  Slow, deliberate erosion of political and societal norms are what allow the truly horrific consequences to materialize.    

If my wife catches me screwing her best friend, I need you to assign a numeric value to how negative the repercussions will be.

If you cannot quantify how bad the outcome will be, then you have nothing to offer, and I refuse to believe that there will be any repercussions.

• Like 2

@AphelionI have yet to see you engage with Trump supporters in the manner that you just attempted with us, his opponents, either here or on shaggy. Could you please provide a link to the said conversations? I do enjoy hearing a diversity of honest views.

Those of us who recall you from the previous board remember you as somewhat of a mathematics prodigy; however, your support of views that go beyond "verifiable" and "quantifiable" facts such as the existence of god has left a few of us a bit leery of your self-assigned mediator role.

You state you're not a fan of Trump, yourself. Please, elucidate clearly in "verifiable" and "quantifiable" terms your own concerns regarding his presidency. We'd like to see some numbers, of course.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Pssssst.....they can't.   "A lie gets halfway around the world before truth puts on its boots.'”   Lies win.  Big lies win big.

I want you to know I find your cynicism oddly constructive. 

It creates a heightened sense of urgency.  Not sure if you're doing this intentionally but I dig it. 

Like when you said Roy Moore would definitely win. 

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Those guys can eat a dick in hell.

They happily cheered on Trump fomenting this hatred of the other - they don’t get to say “now you’ve gone too far.” They fucking signed up for the Trump train knowing this destination was inevitable, they get to stay on board as it goes over the cliff.

Yes. It is what Niemoller warned.  We need an updated version for Trump.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out— 
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out— 
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Trump is going after the brown people first to see if the rest of America accepts it.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in a time of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality."

Trivia time:  Dante didn't actually say that.  He implied that the lowest spot in hell was reserved for those who remained neutral:

“This miserable way is taken by the sorry souls of those who lived without disgrace and without praise.

They now commingle with the coward angels, the company of those who were not rebels nor faithful to their God, but stood apart."

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Trivia time:  Dante didn't actually say that.  He implied that the lowest spot in hell was reserved for those who remained neutral:

“This miserable way is taken by the sorry souls of those who lived without disgrace and without praise.

They now commingle with the coward angels, the company of those who were not rebels nor faithful to their God, but stood apart."

Yeah, there's actually some fantastic commentary on the original source (Dante's Inferno), which is truer to the translation and frankly, is even more damning.

I grew up reading my history books, horrified by the banal tale of the rise of totalitarian, or cruel, or otherwise shittacular regimes, and always thinking to myself (1) "how could that happen?" and (2) "we'd never let that happen."  I now know what I'm pretty sure the answer to (1) is, and I'm also pretty sure I was wrong about point (2).

I love Germany, the folks there are wonderful.  And they are the heirs of the folks who let horrors happen.  Loving a country, and thinking it's full of good people is ZERO inoculation against this shit.

Fighting back is the only cure.  There is no vaccine.  Only cure.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Wait a sec.  if he thinks Ukraine is the most corrupt country in the world, why in the fuck would he hire to lead his campaign a guy who was neck deep in the corruption?  He's a god damned moron.

I believe the correct term is "fucking moron."

At UT I studied quite a bit about Germany leading up to WW2 and post-war. In fact, these studies frequently required me to walk around campus carrying books with titles such as "The Rise of Hitler", which occasionally led to some ignorant fucks thinking that I was some kind of Neo-Nazi. It was an interesting subject, trying to understand "How could something like that happen?"

My biggest high level takeaway from those studies is that it can happen ANYWHERE. It's kind of like how a fungus will grow when the conditions are just right.

• Like 1

How many members from the Trump circle have had to squat and cough in jail?  Two? 

Flynn is probably wearing only tear-away-warm ups by now.  Going from a respected General to advocate of a shitshow administration is a long fall.  But not as long as going from respected General to spreading your own ass cheeks at the command of some hourly meathead with tribal tattoos on his forearms.  Dang.  It's like Sonny Barger did the hiring for this group.

The only person associated with Captain Orange who managed to maintain personal dignity:

How is any of this shit real?  And based on the consistency of the pattern, tomorrow will be twice as deranged as today.  

Edited by Chooky