HBO Max streaming service

Saint Austin

12 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I think this iteration of The Kingsman was my least favorite of the 3.  Entertaining but just ok imo.

Spoiler

I didn’t care for the son dying.  Not because I’m sentimental but because it was being broadcast from the moment that the war started that he would die. He wanted to serve too badly and his dad was scared he’d die.  He was doomed.  .   

I would like to see this group carry on 10 years later.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Spoiler

I didn’t care for the son dying.  Not because I’m sentimental but because it was being broadcast from the moment that the war started that he would die. He wanted to serve too badly and his dad was scared he’d die.  He was doomed.  .   

That was spoiled in the original movie when they explained where the organization came from.

We watched Nobody last night. Playback halted more than once at around the 58 minute mark and gave me an error message. Had to start at the beginning and ff to a little past where it crashed. The film was enjoyable enough though not what I was expecting. Bob Odenkirk is just a little better at acting than the dude who stars in Reacher. Film broke no new ground but seeing Christopher Lloyd again brought back hilarious memories.

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mid credits scene basically alluded to just that 

1 hour ago, GottaB said:

That was spoiled in the original movie when they explained where the organization came from.

Yeah I forgot that so I was shocked at first 

3 hours ago, GottaB said:

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Yeah I forgot that so I was shocked at first 

Forgot that as well.  Makes total sense now.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Mid credits scene basically alluded to just that 

It just has to perform well enough at the box office/streaming.

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Forgot that as well.  Makes total sense now.

It just has to perform well enough at the box office/streaming.

I didn't pick up on that.  I'll have to go back and watch the previous two.  

My major complaint was how they suppressed and dulled the beautiful Gemma Arterton.  

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

I didn't pick up on that.  I'll have to go back and watch the previous two.  

They mentioned that the society was founded by those who lost heirs in WWI, although several of the founders in the movie didn't lose their heirs (even if Polly and Shola were close to Conrad). Best not to question it.

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

My major complaint was how they suppressed and dulled the beautiful Gemma Arterton.  

The Office Thank You GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

The King’s Man….has Gemma Arterton.   

I’m glad to see there are others on here that find Gemma gorgeous. I’ve always thought she was beautiful, but she doesn’t fit a lot of guys idea of beauty. She’s not a tiny blonde that looks like Barbie. Natural beautiful, tall and long legs and natural beauty.
  • Drool 2

Wife and I just binged GoT for the first time.  I'm glad we waited and binged.  I'm sure my thoughts align with many.

Didn't like S1 too much but more than S8. S2 through the Battle of Winterfell was amazing TV.  Their use of the Dothraki should be cause for a beheading.

Everything after the first scene with Jon and Dany was awful.  I liked Jon until his whole "muh queen" bs.

Dany was just ok for the entire run IMO.

I think what made the show so great was the wonderful cast of supporting characters.  Ser Davos, Bronn, Tormund, Samwell, Brienne, Jaquen Ramsay etc.  

I think my favorite characters were Jamie, Davos, Varys and Ygritte.  Loved her.

I could use some spinoffs of Jon and Tormund living north of The Wall solving crimes.  

Bronn and Tyrion out whoring and drinking and getting into trouble.  

Anyway I know I'm a few years behind.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Just finished season finale of Somebody Somehwere.  I wish each ep was about 15 minutes longer.  I really enjoy it.  

If you're looking for a normal, warm show give it a shot.

7 episode season is a crime 

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

So what is up with The Gilded Age? Worth checking out? Or is it for the housefrau? It's over 8.0 on IMDB.

It’s Downton Abbey in New York. Literally the same show.

I like it alright, but also liked the first season or two of Downton. And it doesn’t have Maggie Smith.

Edited by LonghornSean

On 3/6/2022 at 7:59 PM, Billy Pilgrim said:

Binged “The Tourist” last night. Thought it was pretty meh. Didn’t need to be 6 hours that’s for sure.

Watching it now.   The thing I have enjoyed the most is the unexpected presence of Dewey F’ing Crowe in the role of detective inspector.   

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I just looked at Discovery Plus and there's not much I'm interested in on there, unfortunately.

The cannibalization of the streaming options have begun. 

They have lots of reality programs, not really my jam either but it’s something the HBOmax lacks.

HBOmax/Discovery+ merge

Disney+ is going to absorb Hulu’s remaining content when it’s joint rights with NBC/run out in 2024 (they begin pulling out content later this year)

Then you have the tech plays in Netflix, Amazon, Apple with their services making/licensing content; and the traditional media companies with their Paramount+ and Peacock apps and vast library.  Could see something eventually coming together but it may take some time.  I personally think Netflix merging with Paramount would be a win-win.

Also out there is Sony (who seems good just to license), Starz/Lionsgate (prime acquisition candidate for someone like Apple), and the leftover FOX networks that Disney split of from 20th Century (lots of distribution but little content outside of live sports).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I agree Netflix merging with someone who has an extensive old content library would be a win-win.   I’m convinced Paramount (formerly Viacom) must have been exploring a merger with Netflix or AT&T (before they spun off Warner Media to merge with Discovery) in early 2021.   Viacom’s stock price tripled from January to March because a New York hedge fund was buying up billions.  Then that fund got hit with margin calls, they liquidated the shares and Viacom went right back down to the original price.  Unless that fund manager went totally insane (which I guess is possibility) there had to have been smoke about a combination driving that.  Who just randomly decides to rebalance by dumping Google and Apple  to buy legacy media companies absent something brewing behind the scenes?

Yep that’s has a certain smell to it.  The big problem with NBC/Universal/Peacock and CBS/Viacom/Paramount is their over the air broadcast networks.  The FCC made Disney split off FOX, Fox Sports (FS1) and the regional sports channels (FSSW), Fox News channels because it primarily cares about avoiding one company appearing to monopolize OTA broadcasting, sports and news.

For this reason I don’t see Apple or Amazon getting involved with the traditional media giants as they have enough bureaucrats breathing down their necks already for a myriad of other reasons. Netflix however has a small yet highly profitable business model in content creation and distribution that fairly narrow in scope which is why I could see them merging with CBS.  Pairing CBS, Showtime, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, VH1, BET, Smithsonian, and Paramount film library under Netflix would benefit both businesses.  It would drive customer to watch these on traditional media from Netflix’s nearly 200 million users and give them more content to be able to keep up with Disney and HBO/Discovery.  Netflix’s data driven content creation along with the consolidation of studios and better partnerships with actors/directors/other talents across these different business segments would also reduce the cost of business and make for more effective content creation (though not necessarily better).

Amazon and Apple are basically copying the Netflix model except they have a built in customer based through other business lines to drive volume through Netflix doesn’t have.  Given time they will catch up so I don’t see Netflix’s value getting any better moving forward but a merger could change that outlook significantly.