Bye bye Luby's

Nothing takes me back to the 1980's more than going in a Luby's.  In the 70's and early 80's there was not a restaurant on every corner and Luby's was my parents go to.  Probably twice a week.  Amazing that the food has not changed at all which probably explains why they had financial trouble.

Was always partial to the fried chicken, square fish, turkey and dressing, enchiladas. fried okra, pinto beans, black-eyed peas, that strawberry shortcake thingy that always looked better than it tasted, cherry pie and an overcooked crispy on the outside brick of jalapeño cornbread.

The still have the lady pushing the cart around refilling drinks?  Don't know why but I would always ask for a wet napkin as a kid.

58 minutes ago, elfenix said:

the pappas changed stuff when they took it over.  ex: changed canned green beans for fresh.  which made the olds complain because they could no longer gum the green beans. 

They did upgrade certain of the food experience with fresh vegetables and much better quality seafood.  There was definitely some sticker shock when the sides were priced over $1.50 -$2.50.  Welcome to the real world, olds!

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Somehow the Luby’s on Steck is still open and delicious. Went with the classic combo last night.

351676ab5ba596c3f9b51c75c02dfcec.jpg

edit: i guess it was the other one over on 183 that's mentioned.  maybe the list changed. 

Edited by elfenix

6 minutes ago, elfenix said:

edit: i guess it was the other one over on 183 that's mentioned.  maybe the list changed. 

No, the Steck location is still on the chopping block.  But real estate transactions and projects take time.  So it will operate until a buyer shuts down the location to scrape the lot and build a hi-rise.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

No, the Steck location is still on the chopping block.  But real estate transactions and projects take time.  So it will operate until a buyer shuts down the location to scrape the lot and build a hi-rise.

You'd have to sell a shit-ton of chicken fried steak to equal the highest and best use of that site.  Of course, Austin being Austin, the neighborhood association is doing its best to impede this re-development.

Just now, DalTxHornFan said:

You'd have to sell a shit-ton of chicken fried steak to equal the highest and best use of that site.  Of course, Austin being Austin, the neighborhood association is doing its best to impede this re-development.

Yeah, a cafeteria there is no longer a viable highest and best use.  But.....every day of bureaucratic wrangling is another day of Luby's near my house, so I'll take it for now.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just after college I dated a girl whose favorite restaurant was Luby's.  LuAnn platter at that Steck location and then back to my apartment off Far West for the night, was a guaranteed good time.  She was every bit as hot as she was crazy.  Sorry no pics, it was before Al Gore invented the internet and digital cameras.

• Haha 1

Somehow the Luby’s on Steck is still open and delicious. Went with the classic combo last night.

351676ab5ba596c3f9b51c75c02dfcec.jpg

The cream gravy on the cfs and brown on the taters is something I’ve never heerd of. Mainly because we only got one gravy at home. Tell me Cooter how was it? That’s like a wrinkle in the space/time continuum that requires me to drive to the other side of Ft Worth to experience for myself. It’s now a quest.

I question jalapeño cornbread without copious butter pats.

Overall high marks except from the Mexia judge. She demands green beans.
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

That parking lot is entirely too steep for the amount of olds that eat there.

That's a point of discussion every time we go there.  That lot was built to kill old people.  The entrance to the Mopac service road is horrific and begs for a head on collision with either that concrete median or another car, you park at such a steep cross slope that whoever is on the lower side is going have their door fly open and hit the neighboring car. Don't get out too fast or you're going to roll down the hill.  Survive all of that and you have that hike up to the door that probably rivals many Himalayan treks. In the end, you are rewarded though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

The cream gravy on the cfs and brown on the taters is something I’ve never heerd of. Mainly because we only got one gravy at home. Tell me Cooter how was it? That’s like a wrinkle in the space/time continuum that requires me to drive to the other side of Ft Worth to experience for myself. It’s now a quest.

I question jalapeño cornbread without copious butter pats.

Overall high marks except from the Mexia judge. She demands green beans.

Always get both gravies. Always.

The cornbread got plenty of butter once I sat down.

My kid got green beans. I ate her leftovers.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Does Luby’s own that plot in Steck or just in a ground lease?   

Owned, though I think it is under contract contingent upon getting the zoning changes the buyer wants.  That location was not included in last year's $88 MM sale of a portfolio of 26 store locations to Store Capital.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Yeah I thought this was a given.

Sorry but my entire life when it came to gravy the carpet matched the drapes. Cream gravy on CFS, fried chicken, and pork chops. Brown gravy with roast beef. And the same on accompanying mashed taters. I will try this next time I stumble i to a Luby’s.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Sorry but my entire life when it came to gravy the carpet matched the drapes. Cream gravy on CFS, fried chicken, and pork chops. Brown gravy with roast beef. And the same on accompanying mashed taters. I will try this next time I stumble i to a Luby’s.

This but I do not even want gravy on my mashed potatoes 

Just butter….I can always dip a bite of CFS with gravy into the mashed potatoes if I like.

I grew up in North Austin as a kiddo, but I went to elementary school down the street from Highland Mall. 

Highland Mall had a Luby's that we would visit about twice a week, which was really my parent's splurge for eating dinner out.

Man, I would go to town on CFS, mashed potatoes, corn and fried okra everytime we went there.

Occasionally I mixed it up with the Fried Chicken, dark meat, of course, because that was great also.

Damn, good times!

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Pablo said:

I grew up in North Austin as a kiddo, but I went to elementary school down the street from Highland Mall. 

Highland Mall had a Luby's that we would visit about twice a week, which was really my parent's splurge for eating dinner out.

Man, I would go to town on CFS, mashed potatoes, corn and fried okra everytime we went there.

Occasionally I mixed it up with the Fried Chicken, dark meat, of course, because that was great also.

Damn, good times!

I also grew up near Highland Mall and frequently went to that Luby's.

That is where I became hooked on the mac and cheese which you can buy frozen at HEB and it is damn good.

I also loved that place called Britanny's (sic) where there was a phone at each table to ordere your food and when the red let came on you went and picked it up. They had great flamed kissed burgers (think Holiday House) there.

13 hours ago, Pablo said:

Damn, good times!

Webb?  I was bussed to Webb for grades 4,5,6, and then to Martin for 7 and 8.  

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Webb?  I was bussed to Webb for grades 4,5,6, and then to Martin for 7 and 8.  

Reily Elementary, right down the street from the old Butter Krust bakery.

I would have gone to Lamar High School, but I grew up in the North side and ended up going to Dobie Jr High and then Reagan.

30 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I would have gone to Lamar High School, but I grew up in the North side and ended up going to Dobie Jr High and then Reagan.

We did field trips to the Butterkrust bakery every year in grade school.  I'm still not sure I've ever tasted anything since, as perfect as the hot, fresh, buttered roll at the end of the tour.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Used to be my go to growing up. As an adult who tries to eat healthy 9 out of 10 meals, CFS is a far more acceptable option than liver with 2400% of your daily cholesterol intake.

healthy cholesterol ?

im fortunate, my cholesterol runs on the low side 

My mother generally got liver and onions as neither my old man or I would eat it. Yuck. She also liked their baked fish. Yuck.

I enjoyed their cheese enchiladas as they were like what my mom made when I was a kid. I also liked their meat loaf and fried chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1

The location in West Houston on Westheimer is pretty damned solid. 290 and 34th is OK. I can’t recommend the location on Kingwood. 

I go Cleburne’s more frequently, but it’s basically the same thing. Portions are better at Cleburne’s, but they make you pay for it. 

I’ll probably go after church this weekend. Ham, sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, jalapeño cornbread with the pepper sauce, cream cheese jalapeño, slice of pecan pie, and a cup of coffee. Quart of stuffing to go. I make meatloaf with it. 

No. I’m not old. Just an old soul.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Pablo said:

What years were you at Reagan

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The location in West Houston on Westheimer is pretty damned solid. 290 and 34th is OK. I can’t recommend the location on Kingwood. 

I go Cleburne’s more frequently, but it’s basically the same thing. Portions are better at Cleburne’s, but they make you pay for it. 

I’ll probably go after church this weekend. Ham, sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, jalapeño cornbread with the pepper sauce, cream cheese jalapeño, slice of pecan pie, and a cup of coffee. Quart of stuffing to go. I make meatloaf with it. 

No. I’m not old. Just an old soul.

I love Cleburne’s. A go to when I worked in greenway plaza 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I love Cleburne’s. A go to when I worked in greenway plaza 

i thought cleburne's closed for good??  now you're telling me they're back?  

3 hours ago, Monty Capuletti said:

At the Luby’s on Steck right now. Always had a soft spot for the fish brick. The chocolate icebox pie has always been one of my favorites.

8E1C4881-C073-4CE8-B15F-81EDE3FFD4EF.thumb.jpeg.9f96da1cf792a0cfaba52e2686ef2195.jpeg

What’s the backstory on the 4pcs of corn being separated from the others?  

#TeamLiver&Onions

Edited by Underdog