Bye bye Luby's

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

My daughter says it is and she's a Luby's mac and cheese aficionado 

It's so damned close that you really can't tell the difference.  I also made the "just like Luby's" recipe you can find online a few years ago, and it was pretty spot-on.  It's not hard, at all.

FYI:

Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

2 cups (8 ounces) dry elbow macaroni

4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

1 ¼ cups boiling water

3 cups (12 ounces) shredded American cheese (found at deli counter)

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

To Prepare

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook macaroni 1 to 2 minutes longer than package directions so pasta is soft but not mushy. Drain.

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry milk, flour, and butter. Whisking constantly, gradually add in boiling water. Add 1 cup of cheese and continue whisking until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.

Fold in macaroni, 1 more cup of cheese and salt.

Transfer to a lightly greased 11x7 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake 25-30 minutes or until sauce in center of casserole is thick and creamy.

Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over top. Return to oven until cheese melts.

• Drool 2

13 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

HEB carries a store branded 1 pound block of American Cheese in the cheese section. Grate your own.

Being unfamiliar with American cheese as I don't believe I have ever purchased any, I made the mistake of velveeta.  It actually works fine but is an absolute bitch to grate.  I read somewhere to refrigerate it, or even freeze it.  Neither helped much.

Edited by TwiceHorn

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Being unfamiliar with American cheese as I don't believe I have ever purchased any, I made the mistake of velveeta.  It actually works fine but is an absolute bitch to grate.  I read somewhere to refrigerate it, or even freeze it.  Neither helped much.

You can also get american in the deli.  For burgers and such, the kraft premium sliced american works well.

American cheese is so weird.  It is fantastic on burgers, grilled cheese and to make cheese enchiladas.  But I would just about throw up if I had to eat a slice cold and by itself.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You can also get american in the deli.  For burgers and such, the kraft premium sliced american works well.

American cheese is so weird.  It is fantastic on burgers, grilled cheese and to make cheese enchiladas.  But I would just about throw up if I had to eat a slice cold and by itself.

I mean, of course I am aware of Kraft singles, but my Mom never bought it and I have always accordingly at least purchased some form of cheddar for just sammich cheese.

And I looked far and wide for the shreds.  No one had em.  Walmart said they did, but I spent like a half hour hunting them in that shithole and no dice.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Spoken like a man who has never taken a slice of American, folded it in half, and then folded it in half again, to make four perfect squares that fit perfectly on a saltine, and eaten cheese-topped saltines as a snack.  You are not welcome in the Steel Shank thread, good sir.  Please stay away.

Also, yeah, the sliced American cheese you can get in a the deli, or even the slices that are packaged but not individually wrapped, are a good purchase for burgers and grilled cheese and whatnot.

53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, of course I am aware of Kraft singles, but my Mom never bought it and I have always accordingly at least purchased some form of cheddar for just sammich cheese.

And I looked far and wide for the shreds.  No one had em.  Walmart said they did, but I spent like a half hour hunting them in that shithole and no dice.

Yeah....I just buy the 1 lb block of american cheese at HEB and grate it myself.  American cheese is different than Velveeta -- a block of Velveeta is softer than a block of American.  Both are cheese products with emulsifiers that make them melt better, but there is a difference between them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

That's amazing. I'm getting that then. Normally when you buy the frozen version of something it is not quite the same. 

Just follow the instructions exactly.

There is a point where you take it out and stir it with about 15 minutes remaining and there will be a small portion in the middle that is still "icy" however it comes out perfect when it is done.

The first time I made it I thought that there was no way that is would be ready in 15 minute but it was.

It is delicious.

17 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Just follow the instructions exactly.

There is a point where you take it out and stir it with about 15 minutes remaining and there will be a small portion in the middle that is still "icy" however it comes out perfect when it is done.

The first time I made it I thought that there was no way that is would be ready in 15 minute but it was.

It is delicious.

Also, I highly recommend getting the large, family-size box of it.

It's the perfect serving size for 1 Surly-ite.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

HEB carries a store branded 1 pound block of American Cheese in the cheese section. Grate your own.

19 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep.  I have not bought shredded cheese of any kind in years.

Mr. Fancy Pants with an in-home cheese-shredding device.

#PartTimeAmericanChef

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Spoken like a man who has never taken a slice of American, folded it in half, and then folded it in half again, to make four perfect squares that fit perfectly on a saltine, and eaten cheese-topped saltines as a snack.  You are not welcome in the Steel Shank thread, good sir.  Please stay away.

I have done this many times, myself, but only when staying on the couches of classy friends, or my parents’ place. Places that go all out and spend the big bucks on individually wrapped processed faded orange cheese-type food products. 

#LivinLarge

1 minute ago, BearSchlong said:

Fried Chicken, sweet potatoes, green beans.

Chicken was 8/10, not the best I've had but then again it's Lubys.

Was just discussing Luby's with some younger folks -- who love Luby's, by the way -- and they expressed their harsh disdain for the rectangle of fried fish.  I didn't know anyone actively disliked the fish.  Growing up, it was my go-to choice.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Was just discussing Luby's with some younger folks -- who love Luby's, by the way -- and they expressed their harsh disdain for the rectangle of fried fish.  I didn't know anyone actively disliked the fish.  Growing up, it was my go-to choice.

So, it's no longer hip to be square?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So apparently i've learned that my cousin has worked for this company for 30 years.  He's upper management, if there is such a thing there, and told me that they are going strong.  They downsized sure but the company is supposedly solid because the demand at the core restaurants is strong.  Also some fatties in Chicago, who bought it, love the joint and will see it thru to the end. 

Also the green jello shit is also going nowhere.  A favorite of many allegedly.  Apparently they are the verge of serving larger portions, ha!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/28/2021 at 4:34 PM, Johnny Sack said:

But I would just about throw up if I had to eat a slice cold and by itself.

You do a really good job of mingling with us common folk and being a normal dude, but I'm guessing your family's success (in groceries no less) meant that you didn't have many April days as a kid where all that was left before grocery day were Kraft Singles and some nasty wheat crackers that were left over from Christmas.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m not sure the fish makes my top 5, but harsh disdain is a little over the top.  I hold no ill will toward the fish, I just choose to order other things most of the time.

Below is the recipe that was shared above.  I made this last night exactly as it is written and can confirm it is the truth.  I used the HEB American Block cheese recommended above and shredded myself.  If you brown the top a little longer, it would be very close to Chik-fil-a's.  

This is a legit base macaroni and cheese that can now be used to play with other cheeses, bacon, green chiles, etc.   The "dry milk roux" I think is the key.  Enjoy, friends.

Luby’s Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients

2 cups (8 ounces) dry elbow macaroni

4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted

1 ¼ cups boiling water

3 cups (12 ounces) shredded American cheese (found at deli counter)

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

To Prepare

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cook macaroni 1 to 2 minutes longer than package directions so pasta is soft but not mushy. Drain.

In a large mixing bowl, combine dry milk, flour, and butter. Whisking constantly, gradually add in boiling water. Add 1 cup of cheese and continue whisking until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.

Fold in macaroni, 1 more cup of cheese and salt.

Transfer to a lightly greased 11x7 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake 25-30 minutes or until sauce in center of casserole is thick and creamy.

Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over top. Return to oven until cheese melts.

• 2 months later...

we were in hawaii and the mac n cheese that came with the kid's meals was awesome- one of the best anywhere and reminded me of luby's mac n cheese.  we asked to talk to the cook and she gave us her recipe.  i thought she was joking at first but she wasn't.  we managed to replicate it at home.

dry elbow mac.  cook it, drain it, leave in colander.  add 1/4 cup of milk to pot (on medium) for every 4 oz of dry macaroni.  add 3 slices of normal american cheese (yes that's right, the kind you get individually wrapped) for every 4 oz of dry macaroni.  once it's melted, add macaroni to pot and turn off the heat.  add salt to taste.  stir a few times and let it settle for a couple minutes til it gets to the consistency you like.  

Edited by gsoda3
  • Hook 'Em 2

As a kid, my go tos were usually the chopped steak, because it was like steak but easy to chew, or the fried fish square with a mountain of tartar sauce. The rolls. Probably mashed taters and a veg or two.

Nowadays, it’s either CFS or fried chicken. Mashed potatoes. Green beans. Or greens with pepper vinegar. Fried okra. Rolls.

12 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I'm on team liver and onions.

Luby's liver and onions | Homesick Texan

Here is a reasonable facsimile to make at home or at the the deer lease if you have a wife like mine that can't stand the smell:

https://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/i-walk-line-lubys_04.html

When I was a kid, instead of soaking the liver in cold water for 20 minutes, my mom would put the liver in a bowl of cold milk and let it soak in the fridge for three or four hours. Really makes it tender. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Deej said:

When I was a kid, instead of soaking the liver in cold water for 20 minutes, my mom would put the liver in a bowl of cold milk and let it soak in the fridge for three or four hours. Really makes it tender. 

I do that milk thing when I make pate.  It seems to pull out some of the more objectionable flavors out of the liver.