AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be even funnier if they were taking their vacation/PTO/whatever to protest, and then they get sick with it (from the protest itself), have to miss a bunch of work, and take it in the wallet.

I'm an asshole for thinking that would be funny, I know.

That's not why you're an asshole.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

RSV.  We're convinced that's what my son had a coupla weeks ago.  Primary symptom was a fever.  Tested negative twice.  None of the rest of us came down with anything.

In June, we were living like it was 2019 and had the kids in the gym daycare no masks. Within two weeks, a fever spread throughout the house one person at a time for all of a day. Didn't even last long enough to get tested. Lots of friends with small kids had something similar. Something burned through all the kids quickly within two weeks of coming back into the world.

LTISD going off the rails.  Got notification this week for in class exposure for 2/3 of the genetic offspring. Did a rapid in home test this morning on youngest cause scratchy throat (negative). Got notification of 7 on campus cases at daughters school. Dip shits protesting on 620 telling kids that they don't need masks and Jesus will save them (my Jesus loves epidemiology, their Jesus flat earth bullshit apparently). School board meeting tonight. Might pour (another) stiff cocktail and head up to the board meeting to heckle the public comments. 

I posted earlier about my ten-year old who tested positive yesterday. Turns out that was probably a lie. Approximately 25% of his home room has tested positive including his friends who sit together. He was exposed.

Last night the two kids, wife and I all took the Abbott at home. 10 year old clearly tested positive (if you haven’t seen it, it’s like old school pregnancy tests where you look for a second line to appear next to the control line - there was a second line), the rest of us negative. I took him in for a PCR this afternoon to confirm and it came back negative. Another at home test likewise came back negative.

Not sure what to make of it. The at homes do have false positives 10-15% of the time, so it could have been that. But it would be a statistical anomaly for the exposed kid to get the only false positive. He could have been exposed and just beat it overnight before the virus could get a foothold. Someone suggested he could have had dead virus in his nostrils from sitting in a classroom with positive cases this week. In any case, do double test if your kid tests positive with an at home test.

2 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Yeah, they're both home.  The little one has been banished to his room.  He's actually been having a great time on Zoom with his buddies who also have it.  We have four boxes of Abbott home tests.  I'm hoping everyone is negative by Sunday. 

It's miserable to quarantine inside of the quarantine, but when my older son had it, the rest of us managed not to get it by doing just that and masking up when around one another.

58 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LTISD going off the rails.  Got notification this week for in class exposure for 2/3 of the genetic offspring. Did a rapid in home test this morning on youngest cause scratchy throat (negative). Got notification of 7 on campus cases at daughters school. Dip shits protesting on 620 telling kids that they don't need masks and Jesus will save them (my Jesus loves epidemiology, their Jesus flat earth bullshit apparently). School board meeting tonight. Might pour (another) stiff cocktail and head up to the board meeting to heckle the public comments. 

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Eanes kids who violate mask order will be moved to separate part of campus.

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/eanes-isd-students-who-violate-mask-mandate-could-be-moved-to-separate-spots-on-campus-for-class/

The district said if a student doesn’t comply with the mask requirement, school leaders will try to enforce it by offering masks to the student, addressing the issue one-on-one and having conversations with families. 

If these approaches don’t work, the student will be moved to a separate location within the building where they will be supervised and given assignments. Students who don’t wear a mask will be in violation with the student code of conduct, and the move to an assigned location would be considered in-school suspension.

The district also outlined different disciplinary approaches for students based on their eligibility for the COVID-19 vaccine. Read more about the measures on the district’s website here.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

One of the school mom Facebook pages (the one that posted the Nazi meme the other day) is streaming it. So far the three pediatricians, a couple nurses, and an EMT have come out as for masks.

A Q and a "Patriot" so far have come out against.

Odds are the board will not implement a mask requirement.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Jesus tried to save them by giving them people smart enough to create a vaccine. They just don't want to listen to Jesus. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Kinda regret my kid moving out of district just so I could do exactly this. Pregame in the parking lot?
The opposition appears to huff glue so what do we have to lose?
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, midtown said:

This study was posted today.  Not peer reviewed etc.  Summary.   No evidence that masking school kids is preventing covid transmission.  Seems like school masking just gives a false sense of security

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.20.21262349v1

Yeah most of Europe isn’t masking in schools and saw something that the CDC essentially in small print said- doesn’t really help all that much. I’ve always felt mask wearing is basically performative. 
sometimes in a crisis performative matters if it helps spooked people calm down and send their kids to school or be able to process life. I’m certainly not going to be the one not wearing it on a sea of people wearing it, but I don’t think there’s any real protection there and opt instead to avoid indoor crowds or being near people for extended periods of time. 
I’ve yet to see a little kid wear one correctly for 5 minutes let alone 5 hours. Most adults walking down the street can’t seem to get it right. 
the idea that you would rely on a mask instead of a vax as some people are is just so absurd and stupid I can’t process it ( not talking little kids there obviously- I mean adults worried enough to wear a mask but not worried enough to Vax)

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah most of Europe isn’t masking in schools and saw something that the CDC essentially in small print said- doesn’t really help all that much. I’ve always felt mask wearing is basically performative. 
sometimes in a crisis performative matters if it helps spooked people calm down and send their kids to school or be able to process life. I’m certainly not going to be the one not wearing it on a sea of people wearing it, but I don’t think there’s any real protection there and opt instead to avoid indoor crowds or being near people for extended periods of time. 

Although Delta is a variable (no pun intended), masking absolutely helped in our school district last year and probably would have helped this year.  There was a clear spike in May when they made it optional, and a week of case reports currently looks like several months last fall (still optional, but further removed from the mandate).  My older kid says about 5% of his school of 3,500.  I'm sure we can find a study that says anything, but if it's consistent across the room, it isn't for nothing.  Plus, this is more cases in a high school where hopefully, some of the other kids (other than my kids) got the vaccine. 

And if someone's mileage varies, I understand, but I don't care.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Although Delta is a variable (no pun intended), masking absolutely helped in our school district last year and probably would have helped this year.  There was a clear spike in May when they made it optional, and a week of case reports currently looks like several months last fall (still optional, but further removed from the mandate).  My older kid says about 5% of his school of 3,500.  I'm sure we can find a study that says anything, but if it's consistent across the room, it isn't for nothing.  Plus, this is more cases in a high school where hopefully, some of the other kids (other than my kids) got the vaccine. 

And if someone's mileage varies, I understand, but I don't care.

I go along to get along. Everyone else doing it I do toI.  More than 50 percent I do too. I’m not going to try to talk about this with anyone in person or agitate anyone. That’s just rude and tacky 

I’ve yet to see a little kid wear one correctly for 5 minutes let alone 5 hours. Most adults walking down the street can’t seem to get it right. 
the idea that you would rely on a mask instead of a vax as some people are is just so absurd and stupid I can’t process it ( not talking little kids there obviously- I mean adults worried enough to wear a mask but not worried enough to Vax)
I have friends in Germany, comparing our situation with theirs is completely meaningless. They mask when needed, they also have travel restrictions, relatively contained villages, contact tracing etc.

If I catch Covid let's hang out sans mask my dude, they are useless. if you ever have surgery make sure your doctors go sans mask.

FFS Americans are pussies.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Born to Run said:

I have friends in Germany, comparing our situation with theirs is completely meaningless. They mask when needed, they also have travel restrictions, relatively contained villages, contact tracing etc.

If I catch Covid let's hang out sans mask my dude, they are useless

No, the point is not to hang out with others.  At all. 
I’m saying mask doesn’t provide any protection I want to rely on. 

11 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I go along to get along. Everyone else doing it I do toI.  More than 50 percent I do too. I’m not going to try to talk about this with anyone in person or agitate anyone. That’s just rude and tacky 

I get it.  I'm not trying to change your mind.  I'm just saying that, according to what I've heard, we are the largest school district that remained open throughout the 2020--2021 school year and they required masks and pretty much enforced little else.  The dashboard I'm seeing now definitely supports that.  And when they made it optional late in the year, we had a spike. 

As they say, not for nuthin.

YMMV

Edited by dcbc

https://www.kxan.com/news/education/3-classrooms-in-round-rock-isd-to-close-for-10-days-due-to-covid-19-cases/

A few classrooms in the Round Rock Independent School District are closing for 10 days “due to several epidemiologically linked cases of COVID-19.” 

Round Rock ISD told KXAN Thursday two classrooms at Fern Bluff Elementary and one classroom at Caldwell Heights Elementary are affected. 

According to the district’s COVID-19 dashboard, which is updated daily, there have been eight positive cases at both Fern Bluff and Caldwell Heights so far this school year among students and staffers.

All students in the affected classrooms will be offered remote learning for those 10 days. In the meantime, the district said deep cleaning will take place in the areas that are impacted. 

RRISD encouraged families and students to contact their doctor if they are feeling any symptoms.

17 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

McCallum’s Head Coach had to sit out the Taco Shack Bowl last night due to being in quarantine.

Didn’t know that. Nice 14-13 win for the Knights! My daughter went as it was her first Taco Shack Bowl. She said the masking level was pretty good.

Edited by South Austin

10 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Put on masks and the flu disappears. Take them off RSV comes out of nowhere. There are obviously a bunch of other variables in play but common sense says masks have some effect on virus transmission.

It hasn't been discussed much, but before it attacks your sense of taste and smell, Covid first destroys your common sense.  This can happen with even the slightest exposure, such as hearing about Covid on Fox News or reading about it on Texags.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

DISD has 889 in 2 weeks of school, 3 weeks of staff returning. 508 students, 292 campus staff, 89 Central office staff. I'd like to think that without masks, those numbers would all be significantly higher. 

How large is DISD in total?  Just trying to get a basis for comparison against the Austin area school districts.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

How large is DISD in total?  Just trying to get a basis for comparison against the Austin area school districts.

Not sure what year this is from and the DISD Covid dashboard doesn't show total number of students and staff.

Dallas ISD employs 22,222 staff members to serve a diverse population of 153,861 students in 230 schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:
35 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
LTISD board decided to punt and didn't even vote on changes to in school policy.  Hid behind Abbott's skirt.

It is a highly regarded community despite the wealth.

But the lake doh...

In all seriousness, just like everything else, there is a spectrum.  Our circle of friends have been on the more conservative side wrt school policies and children throughout. The flat earthers are the loudest rabble rousers in this debate, and the school board consists of a bunch of spineless pussies. 

23 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Well as if Covid wasn't enough, I just got an email from Austin High that a staff member saw a suspicious man by the back door of the school and called the cops.

The motherfucker acting weirdly had two firearms on him, he's been arrested but thinking of what could have happened is awful.

Happened this morning. None of the kids were impacted and mad props to the staff member who saw this fucker lurking around and called it in.

I have a freshman there and just reading the email AHS sent put a pit in my stomach.

23 hours ago, Cap33 said:

Yep, I have a sophomore and just about threw up when I got the message.

Circling back on this for my fellow AHS parents... 

KXAN named him this morning.  He appears to be a former student, class of 2020.  Former WR on the football field if HUDL is correct.  (also needed to work on his bench if HUDL is correct).

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/armed-man-detained-near-austin-high-school-police-say/

Now I'm more concerned about it than I was yesterday.  I was hoping it was some random guy who happened to be carrying and forgot he was walking across a HS campus or something.  A former student with 2 guns, out there in the morning before school is a little scarier.  If anybody knows more about this I'd appreciate hearing it.

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Leander ISD still a shit show crossed 300 cases last night, up to 333 as of this morning

image.png.74730b5b2fb3a2f3a7c4c6c0e0d82f4e.png

Averaging almost 50 new cases/day over the last 7 days

image.png.8f0ac2c34192e1ddbf91f71af535f2c4.png

Leander ISD has 42K students and 2700 teachers.

584 total cases this year so far.

image.png.e073a392f9762d6419eda5207cff1acb.png

The curve is kind of sort of flattening if you look at it just right and hold your phone sideways.

That's all I got.

• Haha 1