COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

This pretty much sums up where I am.  We do takeout, see friends at home or their house, and watch movies at home.  No movie theaters, bars, or indoor restaurants.  If someone else wants to do that, great.  I’m totally against lockdowns.  I am in favor of masks for unvaccinated and wish more employers would find their balls and encourage vaccination by setting up financial incentives for getting the shots.

But really, I just wish the virus would fucking do its thing and go away.  If it kills the idiots who refuse to get shots and think it’s the flu that’s a bonus.

But that is just it, the virus is never going away.  Honestly, the virus (or at least other viruses and illnesses) were always here.  You/we just did not have a hyper awareness of them.

There will always be this or another virus, and the question is what have you done that is reasonable to protect yourself and your family, and then how will you continue with your life.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, ABSR said:

There will always be this or another virus, and the question is what have you done that is reasonable to protect yourself and your family, and then how will you continue with your life.

It's a fucking pandemic. There has never been anything on this scale in our lifetimes (maybe armybrat's, but not most of us).  It filled up our hospitals and more than a few morgues here in Texas multiple times and killed 775,000 Americans overall.

Hopefully it will mutate enough that it becomes something like the H1N1 where it's a seasonal thing and doesn't fill up our hospitals or morgues.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I am insane and my life is at a standstill because I choose to not spend time indoors around a large group of people for any lengthy amount of time, such as a restaurant or movie theater?

I would say that this is the case.  What's the point of living in fear for the rest of your life.  the only thing you can't buy is time, and everyday you wake up is the shortest day you will ever live.  Fuck all that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Bloomberg News bulletin:

Europe has at least 44 confirmed cases of Omicron variant in 11 countries.  So far, all of them are asymptomatic or mild symptoms.  

Shut it all down!!!!!!   Hide behind the walls!!!  

Nobody here has taken that position that I can recall. All the preliminary data seems to show omicron is not a material threat, which is a great thing.  
trying to restrict travel after it gets on the radar seems fruitless though unless someone can make a persuasive argument that it was discovered immediately after it developed. 

• Like 2

Nobody here has taken that position that I can recall. All the preliminary data seems to show omicron is not a material threat, which is a great thing.  
trying to restrict travel after it gets on the radar seems fruitless though unless someone can make a persuasive argument that it was discovered immediately after it developed. 

This. The travel shutdowns appear to be more “after the horse has left the barn” measures. Functionally pointless.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Bloomberg News bulletin:

Europe has at least 44 confirmed cases of Omicron variant in 11 countries.  So far, all of them are asymptomatic or mild symptoms.  

Shut it all down!!!!!!   Hide behind the walls!!!  

Let's ban flights just from Africa.  Even though literally the day that that was instituted, it was already discovered in Belgium, UK, Germany, etc.  It's not like it's an airborne pathogen with multi-day life whose spread is exponential... so long as we make everyone on the flight wear masks, except when drinking or eating, which of course occurs at the same time....

sweeping-the-ocean-overwhelmed.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

This. The travel shutdowns appear to be more “after the horse has left the barn” measures. Functionally pointless.

Isn't this the same with masks, when half of the public is wearing custom masks don't work, and the other wears it resting on their chin anyway?

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I'm mostly talking about the random media portrayals and governmental reactions.  

Isn't this the same with masks, when half of the public is wearing custom masks don't work, and the other wears it resting on their chin anyway?

To a degree, yes. Uniform mask-wearing is most effective. Some mask wearing has some effect (if the one sick guy is wearing a mask, it helps). And you wearing your own good mask helps you somewhat. Masks provide incremental help, depending on circumstance and number of people wearing them. And they’re also a low-cost, low-hassle measure.

Travel bans, on the other hand, are wildly disruptive and at best, slightly delay the spread of a new variant.
  • Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Travel bans have to be universally implemented to be most effective. Figured we would have learned that that lesson from the first time around. 

i just think travel bans are 1900s thinking.  we are an interconnected world in ways that we weren't even 50 years ago.  container ships hit our shores every hour from every corner of the globe.  foodstuffs get brought in from 10,000 miles away every second.  people have jobs that require them to be on different continents all the time.  bringing in 10 cases is better than bringing in 100, but it just doesn't seem very workable to me.  

1 hour ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

i just think travel bans are 1900s thinking.  we are an interconnected world in ways that we weren't even 50 years ago.  container ships hit our shores every hour from every corner of the globe.  foodstuffs get brought in from 10,000 miles away every second.  people have jobs that require them to be on different continents all the time.  bringing in 10 cases is better than bringing in 100, but it just doesn't seem very workable to me.  

word.  its not exactly gonorrhea or the herpes.  if youve got to stand 6 ft away from people and wear a mask to try to contain it... seems kinda unlikely to be containable

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Travel bans have to be universally implemented to be most effective. Figured we would have learned that that lesson from the first time around. 

Plus they always allow a few days for people to make it back home (with whatever variant).  They would be more impressive/effective if they were implemented the moment that they were called for.

This new variant could be good news if it's only mild symptoms/asymptomatic and really good news if it beats out Delta.

It really only works if there’s a constant universal travel ban, or everyone is constantly tested with the sequencing test so variants can be identified contemporaneously to the mutation happening, and the appropriate shutdown happens immediately after. 

it’s like taking shoes off at the airport, it’s theatrical but has no value. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/29/2021 at 4:15 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

So I am insane and my life is at a standstill because I choose to not spend time indoors around a large group of people for any lengthy amount of time, such as a restaurant or movie theater?

Do whatever works for your family. We've basically lived a normal life since May 2020. Traveled domestically and internationally. Been to myriad movies, concerts, sporting events and parties and eat out 2-3 times / week and hit the bars. Hangout with friends all the time. I don't judge anyone for making their personal choices. 

Edited by Harrison Bergeron

6 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

Do whatever works for your family. We've basically lived a normal life since May 2020. Traveled domestically and internationally. Been to myriad movies, concerts, sporting events and parties and eat out 2-3 times / week and hit the bars. Hangout with friends all the time. I don't judge anyone for making their personal choices. 

I still see people wear masks in their vehicle by themselves. I judge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Meh.  Maybe they are a delivery person or have some other gig where they are making frequent stops and interacting with others and don't want to mess with constantly removing/adding the mask.  I'm sure there are a few cases where people are being overly cautious, but I suspect most of these we see are for convenience.  For me personally, I'd much rather encounter people who wear masks unnecessarily than ones who don't wear them, but should.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

I admit occasionally I'll try and snap a pic and send to my buddies, but I laugh at 99% of the mask theatrics. But I don't judge them. We live in a world of disinformation, and I understand not every person has the time, desire, or ability to read past the tweets, talking heads, and headlines and absorb the details themselves.

1 hour ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

I admit occasionally I'll try and snap a pic and send to my buddies, but I laugh at 99% of the mask theatrics. But I don't judge them. We live in a world of disinformation, and I understand not every person has the time, desire, or ability to read past the tweets, talking heads, and headlines and absorb the details themselves.

Somehow there is a lack of consistency in these statements.  

I can tell you this... I mask in indoor places but damn if that mask didn't help on heavy pollen days last cedar season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I can tell you this... I mask in indoor places but damn if that mask didn't help on heavy pollen days last cedar season.

This. Any time I’m outside this late December-January for any extended period of time I’ll be wearing one as it definitely helped with the cedar. 

16 minutes ago, texasdago said:

This, and I didn't even catch the slightest cold last year, and I'm usually good for one a year, even if it's just a pesky head cold that lasts a couple days.

38 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This, and I didn't even catch the slightest cold last year, and I'm usually good for one a year, even if it's just a pesky head cold that lasts a couple days.

Ditto.  I normally don't get sick often but it has been a long time... still, I'm staying on top of vaccinations and flu shots.  Better vaccines than Covid...

The Kentucky Fried Movie

6 hours ago, workswithseed said:

It's kind of become second nature to many. Personally, I forget I have it on sometimes. And, to be honest, I much more conscious of (and resentful about) having to wear fucking pants.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Somehow there is a lack of consistency in these statements.  

No kidding. I primarily mask doing yard work.

And you guys are right ... maybe I'm a little more judgey than I want to believe ... but I don't care who you are, a person alone in a car with a mask is just funny.

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

Yep.  Got my first cold in two years the week of T-giving (thought it was allergies....when it went on for four days, I thought "SHIT" - did at home tests, both negative).  Feel fine now.  But that's about 6 months in to me being out and around other people, working and such, and not wearing a mask very often....I come down with a viral illness.

My son is out partying with friends at all hours these days.  He's had two colds this semester (both confirmed as non-COVID by multiple tests).  None of us had so much as the sniffles since early 2020, when we were isolated/masked.  Yeah, anecdotes aren't evidence, but common sense is common sense.