COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It's everywhere, along with other variants that we don't know about yet.  The good news is reports continue to indicate it leads to mild infections.   

The hysterics seem to not fully line up with the data we have to date around the mortality rate of this strain. It's odd that so few "experts" seem to realize than most viruses as they mutate tend to increase in transmission and decrease in virility. We are used to dealing with ancient coronaviruses every year ...

Spoiler

We call it the common cold

3 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

It's odd that so few "experts" seem to realize than most viruses as they mutate tend to increase in transmission and decrease in virility.

That’s probably because “experts” understand the complexities of pathogen evolution beyond simple rules of thumb. Viruses very obviously frequently evolve to become MORE virulent. That’s how pandemics happen in the first place. And there’s no law requiring that an initial pandemic strain must immediately or smoothly evolve toward reduced virulence. It’s possible for any given set of mutations to lead to increased virulence, while increasing or at least maintaining the same overall reproductive fitness. That seems to have happened with Delta, for example.

9 hours ago, Harrison Bergeron said:

No kidding. I primarily mask doing yard work.

And you guys are right ... maybe I'm a little more judgey than I want to believe ... but I don't care who you are, a person alone in a car with a mask is just funny.

meh, seems a bit of a lack of imagination problem on your part. Fomites are not a major vector at all but they are a vector. So if you leave your home but have to pass through strangers to get to your car, or immediately after you get out of your car in order to get to work, I can see how putting it on and leaving it is the more "efficient" solution. Granted this is a more viable option in city centers/apartments than the burbs/single homes but if your work makes you have constant contact with people and you don't want to keep touching your mask then it's real easy to just leave it on and drive. 

Edited by achooloco

Am I crazy/stupid in thinking that at this point case counts don’t mean shit?  It seems to me that hospitalizations (and maybe deaths) is really the only metric anyone should concern themselves with.  It seems for awhile now that cases haven’t been serving as all that accurate of a leading indicator of hospitalizations.  Maybe if they could accurately track symptomatic cases vs asympomatic cases it would have more value but given the # of breakthrough cases among the vaccinated and # of cases among extremely low risk demos, it just doesn’t seem worth paying attention to case counts.

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Am I crazy/stupid in thinking that at this point case counts don’t mean shit?  It seems to me that hospitalizations (and maybe deaths) is really the only metric anyone should concern themselves with.  It seems for awhile now that cases haven’t been serving as all that accurate of a leading indicator of hospitalizations.  Maybe if they could accurately track symptomatic cases vs asympomatic cases it would have more value but given the # of breakthrough cases among the vaccinated and # of cases among extremely low risk demos, it just doesn’t seem worth paying attention to case counts.

I think case counts still mean something.  We should know how quickly the virus is transmitting across communities.  It's hard to say whether increased transmission means those communities are letting their guards down and not taking adequate protections and/or a new strain has higher transmission capabilities. 

But to your point, we need hospitalizations with cases counts to put it all in context.  Maybe a new variant spreads easier than the last one, and the prior vaccine is not as effective.  But is it putting people in hospitals and killing them, are does the virus produce less severe symptoms?

tl;dr version:  I'm not going to start freaking out over just case counts.

Edited by South Austin

Guess I get to see how good booster works.  I was boosted end of September.   Walked into coworkers office unmasked yesterday.  He started feeling shitty this morning and tested positive (he was double vaxed but not boosted).  I was probably never within 6 feet of him but door was closed when I entered so not properly ventilated.  So....... we'll see I guess.

5 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

Damn...

According to the data, 139 people are currently hospitalized for COVID-19 in the Amarillo area. Out of the total currently hospitalized, 79.9% of the patients are unvaccinated.

Out of the total hospitalized for COVID-19, 56 COVID-19 patients were reported to be in local intensive care units (ICU), 91.1% of whom are not vaccinated. Out of the total, 37 COVID-19 patients are reported to be on ventilators, 91.9% of whom are not vaccinated.

Imagine that we turned this into an illness that made you seriously ill/killed you at around 10% of the current rate.  Instead of 777k dead in around 1.5 years, we'd have 77k dead in 1.5 years.  Know what else produces that sort of numbers?  A bad seasonal flu.

Vaccines can turn COVID into something much more like a bad seasonal flu, which we long ago learned to live with.  Sigh.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Imagine that we turned this into an illness that made you seriously ill/killed you at around 10% of the current rate.  Instead of 777k dead in around 1.5 years, we'd have 77k dead in 1.5 years.  Know what else produces that sort of numbers?  A bad seasonal flu.

Vaccines can turn COVID into something much more like a bad seasonal flu, which we long ago learned to live with.  Sigh.

I just don’t care if people refuse to take care of themselves.  Adults should get vaxxed.  Especially adults with co-morbidities. I am against mandates since we should allow people to make their own decisions.   I’m vaxxed.   Why should I worry about Covid or other people who willfully choose to not take the shot when the shot provides basically perfect perfection against me and my loved ones from death or serious injury? 

It’s time to move on. And has been since the shot was widely available for adults.  Some people will learn hard lessons.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I just don’t care if people refuse to take care of themselves.  Adults should get vaxxed.  Especially adults with co-morbidities. I am against mandates since we should allow people to make their own decisions.   I’m vaxxed.   Why should I worry about Covid or other people who willfully choose to not take the shot when the shot provides basically perfect perfection against me and my loved ones from death or serious injury? 

It’s time to move on. And has been since the shot was widely available for adults.  Some people will learn hard lessons.   

I hear you and also dislike mandates FWIW, but the premise doesn’t hold true. The shot doesn’t provide basically perfect protection. And we live in a society and move amongst each other and depend on one another for mutual protection in many respects, including our health.
So just as your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose, your right to put yourself at risk of carrying and spreading a novel respiratory infection ends likewise.  
To me it’s a moral obligation, and we shouldn’t need the force of law behind it. But morality has failed, apparently, and a large segment of the population doesn’t feel a duty of care for their countrymen. So what to do then?

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I hear you and also dislike mandates FWIW, but the premise doesn’t hold true. The shot doesn’t provide basically perfect protection. And we live in a society and move amongst each other and depend on one another for mutual protection in many respects, including our health.
So just as your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose, your right to put yourself at risk of carrying and spreading a novel respiratory infection ends likewise.  
To me it’s a moral obligation, and we shouldn’t need the force of law behind it. But morality has failed, apparently, and a large segment of the population doesn’t feel a duty of care for their countrymen. So what to do then?

This is where we are. It’s not a good place.

Oh, and you forgot to add that those people also end up selfishly utilizing scarce resources that are then unavailable to the rest of us when we need them for non-Covid reasons. I have friends who sat with their mother as she died in an ER vestibule instead of a room, because none were available because of Covid patients. It’s a little thing, but there are thousands of stories like it. People have died because of non-Covid reasons because Covid patients took up all the resources.

When your selfishness harms others, it’s no longer “my choice, and my choice alone.” It is actually in direct opposition to one of the core principles of true libertarianism, all in the name of “mah freedom and Liberty,” but “utterly fucking stupid” is our main jam now.
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and you forgot to add that those people also end up selfishly utilizing scarce resources that are then unavailable to the rest of us when we need them for non-Covid reasons. I have friends who sat with their mother as she died in an ER vestibule instead of a room, because none were available because of Covid patients. It’s a little thing, but there are thousands of stories like it. People have died because of non-Covid reasons because Covid patients took up all the resources.

When your selfishness harms others, it’s no longer “my choice, and my choice alone.” It is actually in direct opposition to one of the core principles of true libertarianism, all in the name of “mah freedom and Liberty,” but “utterly fucking stupid” is our main jam now.

Making other people experience hell now because of your selfish decisions is more important than you experiencing hell later because of your selfish decisions. Jesus’ teachings aren’t really working anymore and haven’t been for a while.  See electing a prime narcissist as leader.  Yes CR but true.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

People who smoke take resources.  So do fats and diabetics.  Or people who don’t control their blood pressure.  People who are vaxxed have very little risk from Covid.  It’s why I stopped giving a shit about it last summer.  The vaccine is widely available. Take it or don’t.  It’s your choice.  Just like it can be your choice to be 50 pounds overweight, drink a 12 pack a day or smoke heaters.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

People who smoke take resources.  So do fats and diabetics.  Or people who don’t control their blood pressure.  People who are vaxxed have very little risk from Covid.  It’s why I stopped giving a shit about it last summer.  The vaccine is widely available. Take it or don’t.  It’s your choice.  Just like it can be your choice to be 50 pounds overweight, drink a 12 pack a day or smoke heaters.  

Drinking 12 packs and smoking heaters doesn’t send proximate grandma to the ER unless you’re doing it in the bedroom with her.  Also it doesn’t prevent her from getting critical care when she needs it, because there are icu beds available.  But you’re a mouth breathing moron so I wouldn’t expect you’d understand any of that.   Are you really this dumb, or did the Canadians hire you to troll us?  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Like 2