COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I assume that's right.  I mean what percentage of US infections by this point are (i) actually reported and (ii) sequenced.  I mean thousands of people are popping positive on home COVID tests then just quarantining and never official stats.  I know or know of a lot of people in that category the past month. 

Yup

Speaking of 2nd wave, I have now gotten Covid-19 twice (fully vaxxed). A guy in the office has had it 3x.

We are just going to have to normalize and live with the idea this isn't going away ever; it will forever mutate and live amongst us as the common cold. 

Gen Z gets it: 

Gen Z Is Done With the Pandemic

Though the specter of a new variant hangs over the holidays, young people have no plans to lock themselves down again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/12/omicron-pandemic-fatigue-gen-z/620960/

Edited by MonkeyCigarette
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

Speaking of 2nd wave, I have now gotten Covid-19 twice (fully vaxxed). A guy in the office has had it 3x.

We are just going to have to normalize and live with the idea this isn't going away ever; it will forever mutate and live amongst us as the common cold. 

Gen Z gets it: 

Though the specter of a new variant hangs over the holidays, young people have no plans to lock themselves down again.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/12/omicron-pandemic-fatigue-gen-z/620960/

Good!  

Well damn. my wife was just told that she had a coworker test positive for COVID today and this person was at Holiday party last night. I'm guessing it would still be a few days before she could get a test to confirm but should we pull kids from school and sit at home this week? I thought I heard recent CDC rules were not to quarantine but maybe wear a mask since fully vaccinated? What a fucking pain.

Both vaxxed but neither of us have had it yet.

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Well damn. my wife was just told that she had a coworker test positive for COVID today and this person was at Holiday party last night. I'm guessing it would still be a few days before she could get a test to confirm but should we pull kids from school and sit at home this week? I thought I heard recent CDC rules were not to quarantine but maybe wear a mask since fully vaccinated? What a fucking pain.

Both vaxxed but neither of us have had it yet.

Start quarantining tomorrow, but you and your wife should hit up some bars on Sixth Street tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

Gen Z gets it: 

I agree it's time to go back to "normal" and still be responsible about it. Especially with what we've learned and the efficacy of vaccines to help prevent serious visits to the hospital. 

55 minutes ago, YChang said:

I agree it's time to go back to "normal" and still be responsible about it. Especially with what we've learned and the efficacy of vaccines to help prevent serious visits to the hospital. 

Yep, and with everyone being vaccinated, the results are way milder than when I had Covid before vaccination was available. I’ve been a little sleepy and that’s all, compared to a full week on my back, without taste and smell, and with a foggy brain, etc.

There's a flu like illness that's going around with Covid.  I tested negative multiple times but had a pretty shitty flu like illness.  Ears hurting like hell etc.  Trainer and a couple friends tested positive after dinner last Friday.  Wife got symptoms later compared to rest of us and just tested negative today.  I will say the covid cases seem to breaking right through the vaccine on many people but the people we saw that got it really bad were unvaccinated.

Anyways, great times with not just covid but some other nasty shit circulating.  Our holiday party Friday.  Let's see how that ends up. 

36 minutes ago, YChang said:

So outspoken anti-vaccine/CDC doctor on a platform with a host with similar views, but let’s ignore that cause of his credentials, hmm… not so sure about that. 

Or a person that’s not anti-vax, but is pro treatment.   He’s a highly credentialed heart doctor.   He supports vaccination, but is pissed off that the government/news/trust the science crowd shot down any treatment efforts early on.    Not saying he’s correct, but he had skins on the wall and is one I’d like to see more evidence of his findings.    

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There's a flu like illness that's going around with Covid.  I tested negative multiple times but had a pretty shitty flu like illness.  Ears hurting like hell etc.  Trainer and a couple friends tested positive after dinner last Friday.  Wife got symptoms later compared to rest of us and just tested negative today.  I will say the covid cases seem to breaking right through the vaccine on many people but the people we saw that got it really bad were unvaccinated.

Anyways, great times with not just covid but some other nasty shit circulating.  Our holiday party Friday.  Let's see how that ends up. 

In Texas we call that shitty Fall allergies. They have been kicking my ass. Tested negative yesterday (have to go to a funeral with lots of Olds) and wanted to be safe. But damn I live in a cloud lately. 

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

In Texas we call that shitty Fall allergies. They have been kicking my ass. Tested negative yesterday (have to go to a funeral with lots of Olds) and wanted to be safe. But damn I live in a cloud lately. 

Mine have been kicking my ass off and on for about 10 days now.  I've not tested for Covid since I've not had a fever and my sense of taste and smell are fine.  I just get this relentless congestion, runny nose, and sneezing for a day and then it goes away for a day or two.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, LurkingHorn said:

This is a scenario I was wondering about. This would suck. Wonder if that’s why the panhandle is already getting slammed again. 

This is why twitter completely sucks as a news medium. You can’t qualify his statement such as Omicron has almost completely over taken Delta in most S Africa provinces. It looks to do the same in England. Dr. G needs to think before he throws out his hypotheticals. That’s the kind of conversation you keep among colleagues until the evidence shows it to be the case.

5 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Is he? Do you have a link to back that up or did he mention that in the podcast?

Yeah he said him and his family have had all of the required vaccinations including for Covid. Seems like he wants vaccinations as well as treatments. I don't get the pushback against treatments but whatever.. I got vaccinated and if I were somehow to be hospitalized I would want access to the current available treatments.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Yeah he said him and his family have had all of the required vaccinations including for Covid. Seems like he wants vaccinations as well as treatments. I don't get the pushback against treatments but whatever.. I got vaccinated and if I were somehow to be hospitalized I would want access to the current available treatments.

Who is pushing back against treatments?

21 minutes ago, Caponata said:

Which treatments was he referring to?  I have a big problem with the meme treatments that became political we've seen throughout the pandemic.  Hydroxychloroquine, for example, had little evidence to support it and only became a thing when President Idiot said it worked in a press conference.  Ivermectin quickly turned into a political symbol as well. 

There has been an impressive push to get proven treatments (corticosteroids, monoclonal antibodies) to the people who need them.  Pfizer's rapid development of its COVID specific protease inhibitor is unprecedented as well.

Edited by Dontshootrude
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

Which treatments was he referring to?  I have a big problem with the meme treatments that became political we've seen throughout the pandemic.  Hydroxychloroquine, for example, had little evidence to support it and only became a thing when President Idiot said it worked in a press conference.  Ivermectin quickly turned into a political symbol as well. 

There has been an impressive push to get proven treatments (corticosteroids, monoclonal antibodies) to the people who need them.  Pfizer's rapid development of its COVID specific protease inhibitor is unprecedented as well.

Idgaf morons made them into political treatments if a qualified physician thinks they can help I'll listen to them. It's a decision between a physician and their patient. Outside of that it shouldn't matter. Fwiw that doctor mentioned Pfizer's new treatment as well as others.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Not really. I don’t think anyone is against treatments at all. At least anyone who doesn’t want to see unnecessary death continue to happen. 

This is correct, none of us are against someone getting treated.  We are just saying if you are medically able, get vaccinated.  Then you’re way less likely to need “the treatment”.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

This is correct, none of us are against someone getting treated.  We are just saying if you are medically able, get vaccinated.  Then you’re way less likely to need “the treatment”.  

Because it was shaped by certain folks that vaccine was the only way, and research for early identified treatment was being squashed en lieu of pushing the vaccines through.  Many of those treatments were highly effective, and are now being used more readily and acknowledged by the powers that be.  But after the vaccines were rolled out, of course.  The argument is we could have saved a lot of lives under normal conditions by using treatments while we awaited the vaccines, but instead we introduced a bunch of Draconian measures to 'fight the virus' that ended up doing a big back of dick.  Treatments and vaccines both became political, and folks like this doctor, who treated thousands of COVID patients, were ostracized because "the science".   That's the gist of the entire deal as I interpret it.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I don’t want to be treated regardless.  I’ve read enough horror stories and seen enough friends first-hand on what surviving covid is like, that I’m glad masking / distancing / office shutdowns bought me time to avoid getting it all and now I’m vaccinated+boosted such that if I do get it the highest likelihood is it’s a bad cold like Penelope has.  

One of my friends still isn’t fully back to normal six months after getting it.  Another fully admits he was a day from getting admitted due to breathing issues, yet still refuses to get the shot.  Nursing forums are full of situations where patients got admitted and can barely navigate stairs months later.  The ‘survival rate’ doesn’t tell the whole story.  

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Because it was shaped by certain folks that vaccine was the only way, and research for early identified treatment was being squashed en lieu of pushing the vaccines through.  Many of those treatments were highly effective, and are now being used more readily and acknowledged by the powers that be.  But after the vaccines were rolled out, of course.  The argument is we could have saved a lot of lives under normal conditions by using treatments while we awaited the vaccines, but instead we introduced a bunch of Draconian measures to 'fight the virus' that ended up doing a big back of dick.  Treatments and vaccines both became political, and folks like this doctor, who treated thousands of COVID patients, were ostracized because "the science".   That's the gist of the entire deal as I interpret it.  

Please provide examples of early treatment being squashed. Furthermore, what are these treatments that are all of a sudden being used more readily that were not before? The only place I've heard this stance is from far-right sources and they are usually not backed up by facts. 

The fact is vaccination is still the best, most effective way to squash this even with the great news that treatments like Pfizer's anti-viral pill are on the horizon. I'm not even sure how that's a debate. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

brother 1 got his booster last wednesday. brother 2 and his family came in town on saturday. brothers 1 and 2's family, my wife and i hung out on saturday and sunday.

brother 1 was complaining about not feeling great but chalked it up to the effects of the booster. we didn't think anything of us because we are vaxxed.

wednesday this week, brother 1 said he tested positive for covid.

9 people hung out this weekend. all were vaccinated. the 6 adults are vaccinated with boosters. 

8 of us got covid. symptoms are flu like, body ache, coughing, sore throat, sinus. oddly enough only 1 carried a fever. no one lost sense of smell.

so whatever it is that's going around doesn't give a damn if you are vaccinated. being vax maybe spared us of worse symptoms, but yea, it sucks getting it.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I look at Omicron as a positive.  I don't see much of a need for all this testing unless you are symptomatic.  Treat Omicron like a cold and move on.

I agree, if it can go ahead and kill off the unvaxxed we get back to normal and traffic improves back to mid 90s level.  Plus maybe my grave yard business idea takes off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:03 AM, Trey3216 said:

Many of those treatments were highly effective, and are now being used more readily and acknowledged by the powers that be.  But after the vaccines were rolled out, of course. 

There were proven, effective treatments to covid prior to the vaccines, that were suppressed? Examples?

5 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

It is a stupid post because killing off the unvaxxed is not guaranteed to get us back to normal. Dumbasses who don't understand risk management have shown, for now, that they want a new normal. 

the only way this new normal ends for for everyone to get vax or everyone who doesn't get vax dies which means only people remaining are vaxxed. the damn thing is mutating every few months because selfish pricks refuse to get vax allowing the bug to hang around even longer and mutate. the only bad thing about it is that it's killing the unvaxed too slowly. i'm cheering for the bug. it'll take a few vaxxed along the way but will get rid of all the selfish pricks who allowed this shit to hang around.

edit: when you are unvaxed and get it, just don't go to the doctor. you thought you were too smart for the medical community, fuck you. wallow in your decision.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

The only way to get back to normal is to get back to normal.  This new variant isn't shit.  It is not a material risk worth worrying about.  Like any respiratory disease is does post heightened risk to the elderly and infirm.

But masks, shutdowns, mandates, social distancing, and vaccines don't seem at all effective in containing spread.  It is time to move on with life and stop worrying about Covid.  Shit isn't the Bubonic Plague.  Get your vax if you're an adult or assume some risk (an infection fatality rate of roughly .10 % if you're in your 30s to 40s, .5% in your fifties, 2% in your 60s, 5% in your 70s, and 8% in your 80s).  Children are at no material risk of death from Covid.

Smart people who are adults will get the shot.  Only a tiny percentage of idiots who assume the risk and do not get the shot will get Covid and die.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Stupid fucking poster is stupid.  /s (kinda) for you dude.  This thing is going to keep mutating as long as it has this huge reservoir of stupid.

It's going to mutate regardless.  There is a large percentage of people in the world who won't take it because they cannot get it.  It's not going away.  The vaccine has way too many breakthrough cases of the vaccinated to kill off the virus even if 100% of the world population was vaccinated.  A LOL about getting people to comply with booster shots.

This is not the polio vaccine which basically eradicated it and offered near 100% efficacy against transmission.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The only way to get back to normal is to get back to normal.  This new variant isn't shit.  It is not a material risk worth worrying about.  Like any respiratory disease is does post heightened risk to the elderly and infirm.

But masks, shutdowns, mandates, social distancing, and vaccines don't seem at all effective in containing spread.  It is time to move on with life and stop worrying about Covid.  Shit isn't the Bubonic Plague.  Get your vax if you're an adult or assume some risk (an infection fatality rate of roughly .10 % if you're in your 30s to 40s, .5% in your fifties, 2% in your 60s, 5% in your 70s, and 8% in your 80s).  Children are at no material risk of death from Covid.

Smart people who are adults will get the shot.  Only a tiny percentage of idiots who assume the risk and do not get the shot will get Covid and die.  

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/12/05/1059828993/data-vaccine-misinformation-trump-counties-covid-death-rate

agreed. stupid people are dying from this. oh look.....

image.thumb.png.0884ea1d9f59b557bfac9be7d3554ff2.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1