Shooting at Austin protest tonight, 1 dead

clapclapclap

On 4/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, ChickenNuggets said:

A shame the city didn't require protesters to have permits... police presence, barricaded streets, and none of this shit happens that night.

A shame the city didn't require protesters and drivers to have gun permits... weed out the psycos with deranged social media posts and none of this shit happens that night.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

A shame the city didn't require protesters and drivers to have gun permits... weed out the psycos with deranged social media posts and none of this shit happens that night.

"You can't use social media posts and texts against a person as evidence of premeditation or bias"

-people influenced by handwritten manifestos 

• Hook 'Em 2

“A Travis County judge Thursday unsealed court records that revealed more anti-protester social media posts and messages that a jury did not see or hear while deciding whether to convict Daniel Perry on a murder charge in the death of Garrett Foster.

The posts included messages such as "Black Lives Matter is racist to white people...It is official I am racist because I do not agree with people acting like monkeys," Perry wrote.

Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday about Perry's comments on social media about calling himself a racist.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2023/04/13/daniel-perry-trial-social-media-racist-anti-protester-comments-gov-abbott-garrett-foster/70113166007/

Edited by washparkhorn

“A Travis County judge Thursday unsealed court records that revealed more anti-protester social media posts and messages that a jury did not see or hear while deciding whether to convict Daniel Perry on a murder charge in the death of Garrett Foster.

The posts included messages such as "Black Lives Matter is racist to white people...It is official I am racist because I do not agree with people acting like monkeys," Perry wrote.

Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday about Perry's comments on social media about calling himself a racist.”
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2023/04/13/daniel-perry-trial-social-media-racist-anti-protester-comments-gov-abbott-garrett-foster/70113166007/

Those posts are only going to make Tucker lionize him more, which means a pardon by Abbott, Tucker’s simp, is a stone-cold lock.
  • Rage+1 1

I wonder if @Fondren & Main, along with all those who apparently agreed with the sentiment by giving him pos rep, still feels like Foster deserved being murdered for being in the road. It seems there are a lot of posters around here who believe that murdering protesters for being in the street is A-okay.

Btw, that GHOSTUSER account was what Iconoclast, now Macklemore, changed his handle to, which is no surprise given that he'd previously posted his desire to shoot people at the border.

It's interesting going back through the first few pages where a number of posters proclaim that based on their own expertise they could detect that it was indeed the rifle that fired first.

image.thumb.png.760b6caecf22d67ff56f74e3cbac8ff5.png

• Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I wonder if @Fondren & Main, along with all those who apparently agreed with the sentiment by giving him pos rep, still feels like Foster deserved being murdered for being in the road. It seems there are a lot of posters around here who believe that murdering protesters for being in the street is A-okay.

Btw, that GHOSTUSER account was what Iconoclast, now Macklemore, changed his handle to, which is no surprise given that he'd previously posted his desire to shoot people at the border.

It's interesting going back through the first few pages where a number of posters proclaim that based on their own expertise they could detect that it was indeed the rifle that fired first.

1/1Skip AdContinue watchingafter the adVisit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

9.png

image.thumb.png.760b6caecf22d67ff56f74e3cbac8ff5.png

What random post are you pulling rep from?

The Statesman has an article up about protesters blocking and swarming cars in earlier protests, on June 27th and July 4th, prior to the shooting on July 25th.  One of the swarming stopped because the driver showed a gun.  This is dangerous behavior.  Guns make it more violent.  Do it at night and it's even more dangerous.

I support people protesting or marching in the streets, and I don't think that anyone should drive into any group of people with the intent to harm or threaten.  But the protesters and the police need to do more to ensure that everyone gets home safely at the end of the protest.

Mixing cars and people on streets, having guns on display, swarming cars is unsafe.  Having the police shoot anyone with beanbags or anything else is unsafe.  We need to learn to talk to each other better.  I'm not sure how to do that, but guns and cars and people mixed together is not the way to go.  

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, bolverk said:

Yep, many of the posters on this thread got it spectacularly wrong and were quick to defend this repugnant, violent incel while disregarding all the eyewitness testimony that said Foster never pointed his gun at Perry and Perry quickly shot him five times as he rolled down his window. Many of us posting here and on the cloak room thread called this one out accurately almost three years ago. Some DTers should take the threats and realities of right-wing political violence more seriously. (doubtful)

Now Fox News and the idiot right-wing patriot online echo chamber are actively distorting critical facts in this case that have already been litigated and decided at trial, lying in the service of defending a racist shitbag convicted murderer. They are retelling the story as "BLM terrorist pointed AK 47 at Army sergeant working for Uber!" and "rogue Soros DA hid exculpatory evidence!!!" 

Sickening. 

By Perry's own admission to APD we know Foster never pointed his weapon at him, as the jury rightly concluded, and the accusation by the defense and former homicide detective Fugitt of prosecutorial misconduct on the part of Jose Garza has already been heard and ruled on by the judge in the case. Judge Brown denied all defense motions to dismiss, finding no evidence of criminal or egregious conduct by the prosecution. 

"Reading (Fugitt's) affidavit on its face, I do not find anything to be legally or criminally coercive," Brown said. "I am not prepared to jump across the chasm with you that (prosecutors) have engaged in some criminal conduct."

All of this so-called exculpatory evidence was provided to the defense during discovery and all of the minutes of the grand jury testimony were turned over as well. Fugitt testified as a witness for the defense iirc, yet despite all of it.....the jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

It's frustrating that the first part of this thread is all the progun, antiprotester "he had it comin" sort of rhetoric, right down to very fine people deciding that the victim was the shooter and that the driver was just a victim of happenstance.

No.

It's what it fucking looked like and what we said it was at the time. The driver went out looking for fucking BLOOD. We wanted to murder and (his own words, remember!) RAPE those protesters. The jury unanimously found him guilty without even seeing THAT evidence.

I hope we don't have more fascist street fighting in our future, we are incapable of discussing it's happening. People were just straight up making shit up and running with in in the first few pages of this thread - sack and dcar claiming that the victim shot first, people digging through the victim's social media but strangely ignoring the racist perpetrator's social media usage, and on and on.

Can't wait till this racist is pardoned for his streetfighting crimes. That's a pretty big milestone on the road to fascism.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Nah, nah, nah.  He isn't a facist.  He was going out to murder anti-fascists.  Which makes him anti-anti-facist.  He was only tried and convicted because Texas is too soft on crime.  

I listened to Anthony Graves last evening talk about spending almost 19 years on death row for a crime he did not commit.  And then I think about the "Law & Order" crowd tripping over Gov. Abbott tripping over himself trying to exonerate this guy before his fucking sentencing hearing has even been conducted.  

You wanna go looking for trouble to score some points with your tribe?  Doesn't make a hero or a good guy with a gun, it makes you a fucking pussy and your children can sense your weakness.  

Wrt the narrative that APD investigated and determined this was self defense, who made David Fugitt the lone authoritative voice? Since when does APD decide whether or not an accused person should be charged with a crime? Where exactly did he get his law degree?

I said this three years ago--if any self-defense case should be heard by a jury, it's this one. Before we learned all the facts of the case, one could reasonably argue the case either way but it was unreasonable from the beginning to think that Fugitt alone gets to decide.

Fuck that guy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Here's the full 76-pg document the court released yesterday detailing Perry's social media and texting activities. Anyone defending this guy is defending a classic red-pilled incel pedo loser who was obsessed with right-wing political memes and thought often about how to hypothetically kill those he viewed as his political opponents and get away with it. A lot of conversation with his level-headed facebook friend about what would constitute a "good shoot". Some of  his family and friends admonished him for saying crazy shit online even though many of them had similar viewpoints.

https://www.scribd.com/document/638145231/Court-filing-in-Daniel-Perry-case

The funniest part is on pg 6:

Enchantress: "You started being racist first."

Outgoing message (Perry): "You said my face looked like mash potatoes you might as well called me a lard ass with a face so ugly it looks like a bowl of potato's."

Enchantress: "Calling someone mash potato isn't racist."

Enchantress: "YOU actually started calling me racist names."

Enchantress: "I don't call you mash potatoes to offend you! You called me names to offend me!"

Enchantress: "You wanted to hurt my feelings! Otherwise you wouldn't have said those names."

Enchantress: "After you started being racist so did I."

Enchantress: "You shared to be racist and until you apologize we are breaking up."

Outgoing message: "Look I don't want to lose you but calling me a mash potato is where I draw the line."

https://apnews.com/article/texas-abbott-pardon-juror-shooting-protester-2e890be13e324b3b9fcbd3ccb7263c6c

Jurors are beginning to speak out. From AP reporting:

In an interview with The Associated Press, Jere Dowell said prosecutors put on a convincing case against Daniel Perry, who was in his car working as a ride-share driver when he shot 28-year-old Garrett Foster, who had been legally carrying an AK-47 while marching with demonstrators through downtown Austin.

As an alternate, Dowell did not have a vote in convicting Perry but said she was in the room for deliberations and she agreed with the verdict handed down Friday.

“I just think it’s a travesty,” Dowell said of Abbott already seeking a pardon.

“I just thought it was an egregious overreach of power,” Dowell said. “It’s undermining due process. It’s undermining democracy. I was upset, honestly.”

Perry, who was on active duty at the time of the shooting, is still awaiting sentencing from a judge. He faces up to life in prison.

Dowell, who said she has not previously supported the three-term governor politically, said she worried that Abbott wading into the case could cause other jurors to second-guess their decisions. She said the verdict was strictly based on evidence, following 17 hours of deliberation, and politics did not factor in.

“If your governor is coming out and saying you made the wrong decision, that may make you think twice about what you said or what you felt,” she told AP.

Dowell said her confidence in the verdict was based in part on testimony that Foster’s gun was pointing up — close to his ear — moments before the shooting and that Foster was at least a foot away from Perry’s car.

She said prosecutors also presented text messages between Perry and a friend, exchanged prior to the shooting, discussing other cases in which protesters had been shot and whether it amounted to self-defense.

Witnesses testified that Foster never raised his rifle at Perry, and prosecutors said the sergeant could have driven off rather than opening fire with a handgun. Perry didn’t testify. But his defense attorneys have said Foster pointed his gun at the driver and that the shooting was self-defense.

• Like 1

Given the presented evidence we have all read about, the jurors reached the correct decision and they should not second guess their action because a politician shot his mouth off prematurely.
Let the appeals process work.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 4/14/2023 at 6:35 AM, GW Hayduke said:

Perry's brain was rotted by hate-filled propaganda.

Hopefully people begin to recognize that hate-filled rhetoric that dehumanizes "others," promotes division, and promotes violence should stop and then decide to make personal changes.   

Turn off fox news. Turn off political talk radio. Stop voting for assholes who promote hate. Leave facebook and twitter.  Stop browsing breitbart.  Leave social media echo chambers.  If your friend parrots hate, call him out.  If you see hate on social media, call it out.  Understand anecdotal evidence is not representative of a sample, often cherry picked, and used by propagandists against you. Try and understand your cognitive bias. Understand tribalism is in your DNA and propagandists are using it against you. When you experience anger, fear, or anxiety when consuming media, ask yourself if you are being shaped by a propagandist. Teach your children and those around you how to understand and protect themselves from propaganda.  

That's really it in a nutshell.  Well done.

I might add that if you feel triumph or victoriousness when consuming media, it's also time to check your head, and your facts.  Basically, if media is telling you what you want to hear and it's not some kind of feel-good story, cuidado amigos.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/14/2023 at 12:38 PM, Gourmand said:

Wrt the narrative that APD investigated and determined this was self defense, who made David Fugitt the lone authoritative voice? Since when does APD decide whether or not an accused person should be charged with a crime? Where exactly did he get his law degree?

I said this three years ago--if any self-defense case should be heard by a jury, it's this one. Before we learned all the facts of the case, one could reasonably argue the case either way but it was unreasonable from the beginning to think that Fugitt alone gets to decide.

Fuck that guy.

Yeah, Fugitt is entitled to his opinion, but that's it.  To me, it's always shaky when law-enforcement, excluding prosecutors, make a decision not to charge someone (like Comey and the Hillary mess).

Of course, taking it to a grand jury is no guarantee of a just or correct result, either, but it's something.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, royiv said:

What's the latest on this? I googled around and can't find any recent news. It seems like it has fallen out of the news cycle. Still no sentencing date set that I can find.

Yeah I've haven't at all forgotten about this and have been thinking the same question daily. At least this fucker is still in Del Valle under court arrest.

My layman's guess is the judge has delayed sentencing to get some distance from Gov Hotwheels' idiocy. 

1 hour ago, royiv said:

What's the latest on this? I googled around and can't find any recent news. It seems like it has fallen out of the news cycle. Still no sentencing date set that I can find.

Tucker Carlson got fired. Now Greg Abbott doesn't have to do his bidding....

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Tucker Carlson got fired. Now Greg Abbott doesn't have to do his bidding....

I know you're joking about this, but there's new reporting and text messages that show that the current house speaker brokered the votes for the gavel THROUGH carlson. Just fucking crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Good prediction.  He'll be pardoned though in an attempt by Abbott to be validated as tough on crime.  Nobody will get the irony, and in a few years---Daniel will have a street named after him.  

I highly doubt it. Notice how he hasn't said anything about him since the judge unsealed all the evidence of his social media posts that paint a clear picture of his motivations that day, not to mention his racist and groomer characteristics?

The maga morons will just move on to their next BIg White Aggrievement Issue and pretend Daniel Perry was actually Daniel Penny and was justified in choking a man to death on a NYC subway.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/25/2020 at 11:30 PM, Captainant said:

In the Austin subreddit, folks who were there are saying the car just rolled up, a guy jumped out, and started shooting. Not clear what the motivations are, but the shooter clearly wanted to harm some protesters specifically. No escalation, just straight to murder

Well, for the first time ever I'll give credit to subreddit.  This is almost precisely what happened.  Despite the negative rep you received, this man has been confirmed by a fair trial and jury of his peers to have rolled up, jumped out, and opened fire.  He specifically and consciously murdered a protestor with no escalation and has been ordered to serve 25 years in prison with very little possibility of parole.  

We are now a nation looking for gunfights to pick.  We used to live by the surly code of "Don't want no shit, don't start no shit."  And now Texas has shifted to "Let's drive to the shit, start some shit, shoot some shit, claim the shit came looking for our shit, and see what the shit happens."  

Daniel better hopes he gets pardoned.  Shooting up a George Floyd protest might himself a bounty put on him for a beating after beating after beating.  Get that pardon buddy or get used to eating through a straw.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And now Texas has shifted to "Let's drive to the shit, start some shit, shoot some shit, claim the shit came looking for our shit, and see what the shit happens."  

This was and IS the MO of right wing agitators looking to streetfight. Like for more than a century. And it was repeated just a month later with the rittenhouse shooting.

The negs I picked up were from the usual surly intellectual dark web, and man it's a fucking head trip going back to the realtime reactions and people so sure of the shooter's pure intent

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

The negs I picked up were from the usual surly intellectual dark web, and man it's a fucking head trip going back to the realtime reactions and people so sure of the shooter's pure intent

And once the video came out, quite a few of us had it pegged early on as another right-winger wanting to own the libs with violence. 

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

This was and IS the MO of right wing agitators looking to streetfight. Like for more than a century. And it was repeated just a month later with the rittenhouse shooting.

Shit, it goes back to before the civil war.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well, for the first time ever I'll give credit to subreddit.  This is almost precisely what happened.  Despite the negative rep you received, this man has been confirmed by a fair trial and jury of his peers to have rolled up, jumped out, and opened fire.  He specifically and consciously murdered a protestor with no escalation and has been ordered to serve 25 years in prison with very little possibility of parole.  

We are now a nation looking for gunfights to pick.  We used to live by the surly code of "Don't want no shit, don't start no shit."  And now Texas has shifted to "Let's drive to the shit, start some shit, shoot some shit, claim the shit came looking for our shit, and see what the shit happens."  

Daniel better hopes he gets pardoned.  Shooting up a George Floyd protest might himself a bounty put on him for a beating after beating after beating.  Get that pardon buddy or get used to eating through a straw.  

Is it? I don't think he exited the car. 

I dunno, so I said "almost."  Where/when the shot(s) was/were fired was still a point of consternation for the witnesses and jury.  I'm honestly over-fucking-whelmed our resident ballistic/caliber experts on surly haven't chimed in on that.  Alls I know he was convicted or murder, Abbott probably won't pardon him, and I will spend thousands of dollars to make sure he has the ever living shit beat out of him in prison for the very simple reason...because I can.  And you anti-BLM folks are going to wring your hands while I laugh my fucking ass off.  

56 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Is it? I don't think he exited the car. 

"Almost precisely" doesn't mean 100% match - the big important details that were and are relevant to Daniels criminal liability were as the eyewitnesses described in that thread and reported by contemporaneous local journalism. It is remarkable looking back now to see just now effective it is to flood the airwaves with bullshit - a prevailing sentiment of the thread was "the media is lying, the shooter was just defending himself" and culture warriors were happy to neg anyone bringing inconvenient information that tarnished their preferred narrative

I don't think you can say "almost precisely" and then have such a major part of the story be in doubt. 

And in general, the Austin subreddit almost precisely sucks.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't think you can say "almost precisely" and then have such a major part of the story be in doubt. 

And in general, the Austin subreddit almost precisely sucks.

So in or out of the car while committing a murder is more important than: shooting without warning, running a red light into a crowd, or having a history of public speech indicating a desire to go shoot protesters?

The unanimous jury sure would disagree with your assessment 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

^

Yeah, this.  Pardon my error in semantic grammar.  "Almost Precisely" reminds me an awful lot of "Fair & Balanced"

I'm sure the victim's family was terribly concerned with whether or not Daniel Perry's car was saying "The Door is Ajar...The Door is Ajar...The Door is Ajar."

I know this one stings some our friends here in Texas since apparently you can't drive into trouble looking for somebody to shoot and cry self-defense.  I mean it worked for Krying Kyle.  But in some instances, you gotta deal with the consequences of your crimes.  Law, Order, all that shit...

4 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Considering how many MAGA gravy seals open carrying I have to deal with every fucking day going into/out of the Capitol...I hope you remember your brilliant prediction.  Daniel Perry has been convicted of murder and sentenced to 25 years for the needless death of another human being.  And I am going to make sure when he is  beaten within an inch of his life in prison that you get the photos of it.  You are as wrong as the day of your conception.  

I hope you get the mental help that you need and that you're able to salvage your marriage.

• Hook 'Em 1