Dallas Cowboys 2020 Regular Season Thread: Finally No More Garrett!

Vic Mackey

With a good draft room, I’d think the fastest way back to good is resign dak and use the presumably high draft order (assuming they don’t win the East at 6-10 somehow) to draft defense, then have the OL upgrade with health and a FA signing or two. 

last draft, whether or not the players end up working out, was good. But was it a one off because the players that were available made it no brainer picks the first 4 rounds?

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

With a good draft room, I’d think the fastest way back to good is resign dak and use the presumably high draft order (assuming they don’t win the East at 6-10 somehow) to draft defense, then have the OL upgrade with health and a FA signing or two. 

last draft, whether or not the players end up working out, was good. But was it a one off because the players that were available made it no brainer picks the first 4 rounds?

they absolutely have to draft a LT.  Smith is done IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This defense and OL are bad enough that we don’t have to tank to finish in the bottom 5. Assuming we have all of our picks next draft that should be sufficient for a good talent infusion in those areas. Would they rather spend that first pick on Lawrence or fields?  Who knows but knowing Jerry probably yes. Might only take the third pick to get fields if nyg is picking top 2, assuming there’s a player they would want to take there rather than trade back. 

Dallas could be bottom five and still win the NFC East, which would force them to pick at least 20th, or whatever spot the shittiest playoff team sits that gets ousted in the first round.

The Cowboys actually have a decent DC on the staff, George Edwards. He coached under Mike Zimmer and had some decent success for a few years in Minnesota. He was hired by McCarthy as "Senior Defensive Assistant." This was likely a hedge against Nolan doing the kind of shitty job he is now doing, after being hired to return a favor.

It's time to make the switch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Looks like best WR room in the league and every other unit is sub-par IMO (TEs maybe league average.)  Tanking might make sense;  but with the Least being so comically bad that white elephant division title is going to be up for grabs even if we get blown out in our non-division schedule. Just defies human nature not to play for it. I just hope Dak’s gonna be okay and makes a full recovery for the ‘21 opener.

• Hook 'Em 1

Our schedule the next couple of months is pretty stout.  Zona, @ Was, @ Phi, Pitt, BYE, @ Minn, Was, and then @ Bal.  

Washington is sort of a break although for this team, every game will be a dogfight.  Don't see a win at Philly, vs Pitt, at the Vikings or at the Ravens.  Always possible, but improbable.  Next week will go pretty far in seeing if there's a run in it for this team.  If we're 3-6 going into the BYE then it'll be a struggle.

3 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ve just come to accept that we will never field a competitive team when we have expectations. If people are sleeping on us and we get a last place or 3rd place schedule, WATCH OUT. That’s a 10-6 year with a divisional round exit. 

I’ve thought about this exact thing many times.  2014, ‘16, and ‘18 people thought we were going to be fucking terrible and fail horribly. 

this team is about to go on a run and dalton is going to surprise a lot of people.  he has talent around him that he never had in cincinnati.  sure he had aj green, but now he has three of them plus zeke elliott.  he is going to manage this offense better than people are used to seeing and we will actually start winning some goddamn games.  buckle up, bitches. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Our schedule the next couple of months is pretty stout.  Zona, @ Was, @ Phi, Pitt, BYE, @ Minn, Was, and then @ Bal.  

Washington is sort of a break although for this team, every game will be a dogfight.  Don't see a win at Philly, vs Pitt, at the Vikings or at the Ravens.  Always possible, but improbable.  Next week will go pretty far in seeing if there's a run in it for this team.  If we're 3-6 going into the BYE then it'll be a struggle.

If the o/u on that schedule is 1.5 I’m still taking the under. 2 wins at best over that stretch. Losing to philly twice will go a long way to giving them the East and securing decent draft position. 

2 hours ago, futureman said:

this team is about to go on a run and dalton is going to surprise a lot of people.  he has talent around him that he never had in cincinnati.  sure he had aj green, but now he has three of them plus zeke elliott.  he is going to manage this offense better than people are used to seeing and we will actually start winning some goddamn games.  buckle up, bitches. 

You could argue he had a better O-line in Cinci.

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm sure Alex Smith's doctors repeated the same refrain after his initial surgery as well. 

they did. but in his case, it was true.

was the post-op infection that did him in, not a technical issue with the operation.

just find it amusing that people hold on to that "surgery went well" line like its some arbiter of what is to come. it's boilerplate for every athlete's surgery to feature that line the night/day of surgery.

shit would be truly fucked up if it didn't.

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

One of the really shitty things about that injury was the fact that it happened on a qb run. Something we’ve been clamoring for for a while now and he was finally doing it this year. Hopefully this doesn’t make him timid in the future (if he makes a full recovery, obviously).

It was a designed QB draw. It wasn't like it was a scramble after a pass play. 

Trysten Hill is done for the year with a torn ACL. Injuries keep coming every single week on both sides. Not that he was that great but the further we have to go down the depth chart, the worse it will get.

Does this defense have any shot to stopping Kyler Murray? He has tons of weapons, one being arguably the best WR in the game or one of them. No idea who we have to cover him.

3 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It was a designed QB draw. It wasn't like it was a scramble after a pass play. 

I gotcha. I thought it was a scramble, but you’re right. Point still stands though. Hopefully that isn’t something in the backup of his mind every time he takes off. But I don’t see how it wouldn’t be if I’m putting myself in his shoes 

18 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Trysten Hill is done for the year with a torn ACL. Injuries keep coming every single week on both sides. Not that he was that great but the further we have to go down the depth chart, the worse it will get.

Does this defense have any shot to stopping Kyler Murray? He has tons of weapons, one being arguably the best WR in the game or one of them. No idea who we have to cover him.

Their defense hasn’t looked good in weeks and the book is starting to come out on kyler. We won’t stop him because we don’t have the horses, but Arizona isn’t the same team I feared after weeks 1 and 2. Kyler can be had 

I don’t think we’ll win, but I don’t think Arizona is stopping us even with Dalton. Let’s put it that way

Edited by youdunnf'dup

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Looney's injury led to the discovery that Biadasz is more than serviceable, maybe Trysten Hill's will reveal the same for Neville Gallimore. 

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Their defense hasn’t looked good in weeks and the book is starting to come out on kyler. We won’t stop him because we don’t have the horses, but Arizona isn’t the same team I feared after weeks 1 and 2. Kyler can be had 

I don’t think we’ll win, but I don’t think Arizona is stopping us even with Dalton. Let’s put it that way

As you said, the book coming out on guys does not apply to us since we do nothing to stop these guys. This applies to defenses with players and coaches who can make the other guy pay for his shortcomings.

I don't think I have ever seen a defense so consistently turn huge negative losses in their favor into back breaking positive gains for the opposing team. So many times yesterday, we got after Daniel Jones. Not only do we not fully get to him, we didn't even make him throw it away. He finds a guy downfield who is wide open. And it becomes a big gain. The OBJ dagger last week when they had him for a 12 yard lost and turns into a 50 plus TD. That is what this defense is about. They come up short constantly. We are now through 5 games and we still only have 1 pick. 3 turnovers total. Not even close to any multi turnovers games.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Dalton has some real studs on the OL and a great defense so no excuses.

That's sarcasm, right?

The Ginger Ninja still has a few ounces of football left in the tank. The problem is protection. He's not as mobile as Dak, but... he might have the better (rusty) arm. He's David Justice in Moneyball. Defense is the major issue. They are bleeding points.

On a completed unrelated note, I’ve already prepared myself for the giants getting the #1 pick and drafting Trevor Lawrence, and returning to prominence within the next 2-3 years. I was hoping Jones would be good enough but he’s awful. We play the NFC west and the AFC north, probably the two best divisions in football. The giants are losing 13 games at minimum and I think they’re looking more like 1-15. 

3 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

It really doesn't matter who the quarterback is for the Cowboys as long as the defense continues to be inept.  Jerry and Company continue to ruin one of the NFL's great franchises.

The hope (not saying it will come to fruition), is as the defense gets healthier, they'll become more reliable.  Brown was back yesterday.  Hope is LVE may be ready next week but moreso in 2 weeks.  Chido will be back hopefully in the next couple of weeks.  Gregory can come back for week 7.  The biggest issue continues to be injury in the middle.  McCoy's injury led to having to rely on Hill more than just being rotational and he was rough but had flashed some improvement.  Now he's done.  Gallimore is even rawer and worse than Hill but he'll need to develop fast as we're running out of guys.  They need to really sign a big guy to take on doubles and not get blown backwards 4 yards to toughen up the run defense.

The other issue is, it always relies on perfect health.  No one else can get hurt in these scenarios for the defense to make a big jump towards..... mediocre.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

The Cowboys are probably going to make the playoffs with a losing record. Their reward? 1st round bounce and nineteenth pick in the 2021 draft. 

Had no one watched the eagles over the last 2 games? They've played a lot better and that offense just put up points on a damn good steelers defense in a game that swung on a reversed steelers fumble in the 4th. The eagles are going to destroy this cowboys team twice and will walk away with the division. They're rounding into respectable form. 

10 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Had no one watched the eagles over the last 2 games? They've played a lot better and that offense just put up points on a damn good steelers defense in a game that swung on a reversed steelers fumble in the 4th. The eagles are going to destroy this cowboys team twice and will walk away with the division. They're rounding into respectable form. 

Exactly. The eagles are a much better football team than us right now.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
Autocorrect fucks me so often