Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

2 hours ago, Tyrone Krivacs said:

Right, but I kinda think he had success at Jackson State because he is Deion and to have success at Colorado is going to take a lot more than just being Deion. I could be wrong, maybe he's a great scheme/X and Os coach.

He appears to have made some sound hires. If this year's team withstands the pain of the purge and he can do well in the portal and recruiting for next year they could build something. Of course if that happens he is likely on to the next bigger thing. Also that blueprint if successful will be the death knell of whatever semblance remains of the "amateur" collegiate athlete. 

44 minutes ago, Deej said:

Sure...they are all like Deion and that angry dwarf who coaches aggy. 

All Deion does is make sure that spotlight shines on him.

Last December, he took over one of the worst programs (or maybe the worst) in D1 over the last 5 years. Since then,

• Colorado season tickets were sold out in the spring BEFORE the season. The last time this happened at Colorado was, well, never! 
  • He has managed to sign or transfer over a large number of highly-recruited players to his program
  • He has changed the way people will use social media to attract talent forever 
  • He has brought in some pretty respected assistant coaches and he's smart enough to let them do what they do best.  
  • He has created a momentum that has the alums, players, and students really excited
  • Yes, he merchandises his personal brand, like many coaches do. He's just better at it.  

If this is the price of him being a diva, then I would gladly pay for that at UT, where we continue to stumble through a decade-plus of incredible mediocre to downright awful football. End-times Mack, Strong, Herman and now Sark. I'd take the Deion show any day of the week over that lot.   
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5
  • Drool 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Last December, he took over one of the worst programs (or maybe the worst) in D1 over the last 5 years. Since then,

• Colorado season tickets were sold out in the spring BEFORE the season. The last time this happened at Colorado was, well, never! 
  • He has managed to sign or transfer over a large number of highly-recruited players to his program
  • He has brought in some pretty respected assistant coaches and he's smart enough to let them do what they do best.  
  • He has created a momentum that has the alums, players, and students really excited
  • Yes, he merchandises his personal brand, like many coaches do. He's just better at it.  

Yeah and all of that means fuck-all after he goes 2-10 or 3-9 this year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

If this is the price of him being a diva, then I would gladly pay for that at UT, where we continue to stumble through a decade-plus of incredible mediocre to downright awful football. End-times Mack, Strong, Herman and now Sark. I'd take the Deion show any day of the week over that lot.   

Sark has done most of those things too, though, right?  Sold out season tickets, signed or transferred a large number of highly-recruited players, brought in pretty respected assistant coaches, created momentum that has alums, players, and students excited.  The only two he seems to be missing is "chang[ing] the way people will use social media to attract talent forever" and possibly "merchandis[ing] his personal brand.

2 hours ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Sark has done most of those things too, though, right?  Sold out season tickets, signed or transferred a large number of highly-recruited players, brought in pretty respected assistant coaches, created momentum that has alums, players, and students excited.  The only two he seems to be missing is "chang[ing] the way people will use social media to attract talent forever" and possibly "merchandis[ing] his personal brand.

I honestly hope you are right, but so far, I don't see it, nor do I see success for Sark to the level expected here. 

Deion has done an amazing job of promoting his program and has changed the game about how to do so. It may not matter to all the people here, but it matters to today's recruits. Hey, he may fail, but he has done a terrific job of generating excitement within their program and attracting good players. 

To be clear, EVERY coach merchandises his personal brand. Some like Sark, who is more of a middle manager type, just suck at it. 

Sark-Jordache.jpg

I honestly hope you are right, but so far, I don't see it, nor do I see success for Sark to the level expected here. 
Deion has done an amazing job of promoting his program and has changed the game about how to do so. It may not matter to all the people here, but it matters to today's recruits. Hey, he may fail, but he has done a terrific job of generating excitement within their program and attracting good players. 
To be clear, EVERY coach merchandises his personal brand. Some like Sark, who is more of a middle manager type, just suck at it. 

Sark-Jordache.jpg
Prime Time would have never worn that suit.

23 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Uh, don't look now, but it appears that a foundation is being built by...checks notes...Sark.

Does it?

Sark's first two years weren't as successful as Herman's first two, and you could argue that Herman left Sark way more to work with than Strong left Herman. Strong had 3 straight losing seasons before Herman took over, and then he promptly went 17-10 in his first two seasons, winning the Texas bowl and Sugar Bowl.

Sark went 5-7 his first year and then 8-5 last year giving him a two-season record of 13-12 with an Alamo Bowl loss.

Sark may end up being great, but right now he's not even as good as what Herman did in his first two seasons, so I think the jury is still very much out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

He’s doomed if he doubles or triples last year’s win total? Lol

Yeah man I know it's such a stupid thought because everyone always gets super excited about 3-win teams.

I don't give a fuck if it's "double" or "triple" of a 1-win season. It's still a football team that is 2-10 or 3-9.  All of the Coach Prime hype in the world won't mean shit if they still suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah man I know it's such a stupid thought because everyone always gets super excited about 3-win teams.

I don't give a fuck if it's "double" or "triple" of a 1-win season. It's still a football team that is 2-10 or 3-9.  All of the Coach Prime hype in the world won't mean shit if they still suck.

Oh so you think he will be judged a failure after year 1 with this team's history after going 2-10 or 3-9? Yeah that is pretty fucking stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2023 at 2:13 PM, TreatyOak said:

All of that is awesome if you are Colorado and you can't sell tickets or recruit. He's a home run hire there. Those aren't problems at Texas.

41 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Oh so you think he will be judged a failure after year 1 with this team's history after going 2-10 or 3-9? Yeah that is pretty fucking stupid

JFC where did I say "he will be judged a failure?" I just said the "Coach Prime" hype stuff won't mean shit if they still suck. How is that so fucking hard to process?

2 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

JFC where did I say "he will be judged a failure?" I just said the "Coach Prime" hype stuff won't mean shit if they still suck. How is that so fucking hard to process?

Did you even read your posts?

Unless they go winless the hype will continue to build momentum. If they win 3 he will probably have a top 20 recruiting class and may kill it in the portal. Then we might see something 

Edited by Sawbonz

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Does it?

Sark's first two years weren't as successful as Herman's first two, and you could argue that Herman left Sark way more to work with than Strong left Herman. Strong had 3 straight losing seasons before Herman took over, and then he promptly went 17-10 in his first two seasons, winning the Texas bowl and Sugar Bowl.

Sark went 5-7 his first year and then 8-5 last year giving him a two-season record of 13-12 with an Alamo Bowl loss.

Sark may end up being great, but right now he's not even as good as what Herman did in his first two seasons, so I think the jury is still very much out.

With all due respect, you are talking out of your ass, kind sir.

I would argue that Casey Thompson and Hudson Card are much worse than Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger.  Both of whom are in the NFL.  Casey ain't making the pros and Hudson may get a cup of coffee.

2017 OL - Connor Williams (2nd round pick), Jean Delance (transferred and started at Florida), Patrick Vahe (decent run blocker; bad pass blocker), Denzel Okafor (subpar), Brandon Hodges (ok), Jake McMillon (ok), Zach Shackleford (above average)

2017 DL - Naashon Hughes (sucked), Breckyn Hager (sucked), Charles Omenihu (stud), Poona Ford (big time stud), Chris Nelson (stud)

2021 OL - Kerstetter (good), Jones (trainwreck in 2021 but pretty good now), Jake Majors (freshman), Tope Imade (JAG), Andrej Karic (glorified TE/transferred/JAG), Logan Parr (never played/JAG), Tyler Johnson (BUST), Isaiah Hookfin (retired due to injury), Rafiti Ghirmai (bust), Junior Angilau (above average), Max Merrill (underweight, not a contributor), Hayden Connor (Sark recruit), Jaylen Garth (retired due to injury), Denzel Okafor (retired due to injury)

2021 DL - Jacoby Jones (JAG), Prince Dorbah (BUST), Vernon Broughton (JAG so far), Jordon Thomas (Quit), David Abiara (retired due to injury), Barryn Sorrell (stud but was a true freshman w/ no experience), Byron Murphy (stud but was a true freshman w/ no experience), Sawyer Goram-Welch (JAG), Myron Warren (JAG/Transferred), T'Vondre Sweat (above average), Alfred Collins (JAG so far), Moro Ojomo (good), Coburn (bust).

I'd take 2017 OL and DL over what Herman left Sark.  Most of the guys Herman left Sark were churned out because they weren't any damned good.  

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, TriStone said:

One of these is not like the others.  If you're already wanting to pull the plug on Sark then I don't think you're paying attention.

Fair point and you are correct. Sadly, I stopped paying attention around 2018. Now I'm in it for the comedy.

2 hours ago, TriStone said:

Well come back to the TV then.  Shit's trending positive.

It's always tending positive at Texas in August. I no longer get emotionally involved, except for Quinn Ewers, whom I got to hang with, (and caught a pass from, lol) and the Westlake players. Hope they do well, but I think they will get Sarked. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How the shit would he be eligible?

59 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Grad transfer?

If Juwan is transferring to Colorado to further his post graduate education, that's just a win for the sport. Lets not lose sight of the fact that when its all said and done, college football is all about furthering the educational needs of our scholar athletes. 

As for the Deion debate, I'm not sure you guys are even arguing. Deion was, is, and always will be about Deion first and foremost. That doesn't preclude him from also being a winning hire for Colorado. If the Buffs would have stuck with Dorell, you can guarantee they would still suck ass, with worse players and far fewer tickets sold. If/when Deion hauls ass to the NFL at the first sign of success, it will still have been overwhelmingly the right hire for that dogshit program. They finally have a pulse. 

• Like 1

I just watched an interview. His shister BS is grating, but I can see how a 19 year old kid would engage, and even benefit from it. Hope he succeeds, if only to wake Colorado the fuck up. They used to be the the shit. They'd refuse to mow their natural grass field for fast teams.

Grunt, bloody knuckles shit. Loved them in the 80's. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If Juwan is transferring to Colorado to further his post graduate education, that's just a win for the sport. Lets not lose sight of the fact that when its all said and done, college football is all about furthering the educational needs of our scholar athletes. 

JuJu has a reputation as a locker room cancer... that's why folks are surprised he might be getting another chance in Colorado

6 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

It's always tending positive at Texas in August.

Is it? Think you are making shit up there. Sometimes things are tending positive, sometimes we know we will suck. We tend to end up in the same place either way though. But it is just a damn lie we go into every season thinking we are awesome. We only started thinking we were good last year after the Bama game. We were surprised by that. Turned out to be a false dawn, but that is how it goes.

I no longer get emotionally involved

Well cool. Why all the trash talk and bullshit then? 

Edited by Valmy77

10 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Is it? Think you are making shit up there. Sometimes things are tending positive, sometimes we know we will suck. We tend to end up in the same place either way though. But it is just a damn lie we go into every season thinking we are awesome. We only started thinking we were good last year after the Bama game. We were surprised by that. Turned out to be a false dawn, but that is how it goes.

Well cool. Why all the trash talk and bullshit then? 

I like to post things that entertain me, and hopefully, other people. These days, the Longhorns are adept at providing me lots of content. But I reserve my best shots for the ultimate clown show that resides in College Station. 

Some interesting quotes from https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38279763/inside-deion-sanders-roster-remake-colorado-football.  

"I don't care about culture. I don't care. I don't care if they like each other, man. I want to win," 

"I don't think you got to have unity whatsoever," Sanders said. "You got to have good players."

It might work, but certainly not an approach I've heard verbalized by other coaches. 

I suspect it's just a matter of time before this is a trainwreck.  Players quitting mid-season or mid-game, Deion publicly fighting with school Admins or Asst. Coaches, recruiting violations, Deion openly courting other HC jobs, etc.  I am certain though it will be incredibly entertaining and potentially profitable for UC in the short-term. 

Edited by Bodhi

55 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

@closetojumping I am a gentleman.  That’s why I’m giving you till Friday 7 cst to get out of the bet.   

Michael Irvin visited the team in Boulder and he predicted 6 wins

Michael Irvin is a buffoon of the highest order. 

Not only do I wish to keep the bet, I am fine if you want to double it. You need to remind of the terms though - 6 wins and Sanders has to be the coach, right? You win $1000 and if not, I win $500. Is that correct?

20 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Some interesting quotes from https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38279763/inside-deion-sanders-roster-remake-colorado-football.  

"I don't care about culture. I don't care. I don't care if they like each other, man. I want to win," 

"I don't think you got to have unity whatsoever," Sanders said. "You got to have good players."

It might work, but certainly not an approach I've heard verbalized by other coaches. 

I suspect it's just a matter of time before this is a trainwreck.  Players quitting mid-season or mid-game, Deion publicly fighting with school Admins or Asst. Coaches, recruiting violations, Deion openly courting other HC jobs, etc.  I am certain though it will be incredibly entertaining and potentially profitable for UC in the short-term. 

The problem for Deion with this kind of outlook is that he's overlaying his locker room experiences onto that of mostly normal talent. Of course Deion didn't have to worry about being liked or liking other people and a just win attitude. He was getting paid millions of dollars alongside other professionals of the same mindset, he was the greatest cover corner in history and every team he was on knew that they had to have him in order to win. 

But what happens when his team steps on the field and they aren't the most talented team there? That's going to happen at least 9 times this year, and probably 11 times. They can just care about winning, but it might help to have some shared adversity to fall back on that they've overcome together, which is, you know, how a team develops chemistry and an actual winning culture.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

To some extent, I get what Deon is saying.  If I had the choice of great team unity but with shitty players, or  a bunch of good players who were all divas,  I'd probably go with the better players and try and make it work.  

That said, that place must be a ticking time bomb.

If they were a 9 or 10 win team they could last a whole season without a meltdown because winning cures a lot of ills. But they're not a 9 or 10 win team, and when the losses start to pile up the implosion will be a sight to behold.

I still predict they are going to over achieve and have a 6 win season.  That may or may not be enough to hold things together.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:02 PM, LTtxfan said:

JuJu has a reputation as a locker room cancer... that's why folks are surprised he might be getting another chance in Colorado

I'm sure he is a locker room cancer but I'm struggling to come up with a medical term to describe his actual on-field play...comatose? Vegetative? He was absolute dog shit and couldn't have cared less. 

On 8/24/2023 at 6:17 PM, Sbbruin said:

Which he will.  But if he can keep bringing in the talent, that could change.

I think he will struggle in big games, just like he did at Jackson State. I don't see Colorado ascended to the top of the new Big 12, but at least some of the Old Big 8 rivalries should be more entertaining than the Pac 12 games.

To some extent, I get what Deon is saying.  If I had the choice of great team unity but with shitty players, or  a bunch of good players who were all divas,  I'd probably go with the better players and try and make it work.  
That said, that place must be a ticking time bomb.
If they were a 9 or 10 win team they could last a whole season without a meltdown because winning cures a lot of ills. But they're not a 9 or 10 win team, and when the losses start to pile up the implosion will be a sight to behold.
I still predict they are going to over achieve and have a 6 win season.  That may or may not be enough to hold things together.

So basically Texas the last decade?

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

If Sark said something like that this board would destroy him.

100%.

This may have worked at JSU because it was relatively easy to out-talent the competition. His coaching philosophy seems like a recipe for disaster at the P5 (soon to be P4) level.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Michael Irvin is a buffoon of the highest order. 

Not only do I wish to keep the bet, I am fine if you want to double it. You need to remind of the terms though - 6 wins and Sanders has to be the coach, right? You win $1000 and if not, I win $500. Is that correct?

The problem for Deion with this kind of outlook is that he's overlaying his locker room experiences onto that of mostly normal talent. Of course Deion didn't have to worry about being liked or liking other people and a just win attitude. He was getting paid millions of dollars alongside other professionals of the same mindset, he was the greatest cover corner in history and every team he was on knew that they had to have him in order to win. 

But what happens when his team steps on the field and they aren't the most talented team there? That's going to happen at least 9 times this year, and probably 11 times. They can just care about winning, but it might help to have some shared adversity to fall back on that they've overcome together, which is, you know, how a team develops chemistry and an actual winning culture.

I thought it was a bowl invite?  My 500 to your 1000?