Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

no clue what the post game win probability was (did a quick twitter search but found nothing) - it's hard to lose a game with this much green on it. bad luck and statistically unlikely, especially with the explosive play rate, overall success rate and RZ success rate.

really curious if this is a case where the first half was insane and 2nd half was bad bad statistically? game on paper doesnt allow to filter by half or have stats by half.

image.png.9f057b306f9ca8aef9d76a754b188883.png

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

no clue what the post game win probability was (did a quick twitter search but found nothing) - it's hard to lose a game with this much green on it. bad luck and statistically unlikely, especially with the explosive play rate, overall success rate and RZ success rate.

really curious if this is a case where the first half was insane and 2nd half was bad bad statistically? game on paper doesnt allow to filter by half or have stats by half.

image.png.9f057b306f9ca8aef9d76a754b188883.png

I watched the second half on replay and Stanford got back into it with big plays including back to back drives with 97 and 60 yard TD passes. CU was clearly rattled and lost discipline. They also exploited CU's weaknesses that have been there all season (and really picked on Travis Hunter who was getting tired) and Shadeur couldn't bail them out.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I watched the second half on replay and Stanford got back into it with big plays including back to back drives with 97 and 60 yard TD passes. CU was clearly rattled and lost discipline. They also exploited CU's weaknesses that have been there all season (and really picked on Travis Hunter who was getting tired) and Shadeur couldn't bail them out.

they have to manage Hunter. dude was toast at the end of that Stanford game...want to know why?

dude had his season high snap count vs Stanford. after there were a ton of article about him being on a snap count for that game.

they HAVE to manage his snap count or everyone under the sun on their schedule is going to pick on him at CB in the 2nd half.

he's an incredible talent but they should have been working him up to a snap ceiling instead of letting him play this much across the board. this is not sustainable. curious if they pulled him

image.png.8290337ae94659c2206c3631261646eb.png

his offensive usage very clearly says they need to play him that much there - 14 targets vs TCU, 3 targets vs Nebraska (on 79% of snaps????) and 19 targets vs Stanford. so play him less in the first half on defense so he's more fresh on defense in the second? what's wild is he had 18 total catches last year at JSU and had 13 in just the Stanford game. why wasn't he used much on offense last year at JSU?

also hes coming off a major major injury. why are you having him set a career high in snaps? OT or not that's ridiculous.

dude is an incredible talent. but they have to step up and protect the guy from himself and play him in a way that makes sense and maximizes him. if they think Stanford is the only school who will target him in the 4th Q they have like 5 more games to see everyone is going to do that if they don't make an adjustment. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

dude is an incredible talent. but they have to step up and protect the guy from himself and play him in a way that makes sense and maximizes him. if they think Stanford is the only school who will target him in the 4th Q they have like 5 more games to see everyone is going to do that if they don't make an adjustment. 

It was amazing that Stanford was throwing at him all second half. Here is supposedly their best player and they burned him consistently. This is a team that lost at home to Sacramento State.

they have to manage Hunter. dude was toast at the end of that Stanford game...want to know why?
dude had his season high snap count vs Stanford. after there were a ton of article about him being on a snap count for that game.
they HAVE to manage his snap count or everyone under the sun on their schedule is going to pick on him at CB in the 2nd half.
he's an incredible talent but they should have been working him up to a snap ceiling instead of letting him play this much across the board. this is not sustainable. curious if they pulled him
his offensive usage very clearly says they need to play him that much there - 14 targets vs TCU, 3 targets vs Nebraska (on 79% of snaps????) and 19 targets vs Stanford. so play him less in the first half on defense so he's more fresh on defense in the second? what's wild is he had 18 total catches last year at JSU and had 13 in just the Stanford game. why wasn't he used much on offense last year at JSU?
also hes coming off a major major injury. why are you having him set a career high in snaps? OT or not that's ridiculous.

Deion wasn’t as desperate last year.

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

Deion wasn’t as desperate last year.

That’s not it.  He had more talent than the teams JSU was playing.  Now he can’t simply out talent everyone so he’s trying to make up for it by riding his handful of good players as much as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Dog said:

It was amazing that Stanford was throwing at him all second half. Here is supposedly their best player and they burned him consistently. This is a team that lost at home to Sacramento State.

it's almost like playing 150 snaps a game is bad for a player.

i don't pay for PFF but NFL snap count #s are out there so going to use them for a comparison

• the NFL leader in snaps per game at WR through 5 weeks was DeVonta Freeman who averaged 73 snaps per game. nobody else was over 70. there are only 9 WR who averaged over 60 snaps / game.
  • the DB leader in snaps averages 73 per game also (Julian Blackmon) but they have more dudes who are over 70 - 11 dudes have 70+ snaps at DB - don't have the breakdown by CB vs Safety or would use that.

if someone does pay for PFF and can pull these snap stats that would be great.

in the full games he's played this year he plays almost as many snaps at WR at the NFL leader in WR (72.3) snaps and would be just outside the top 10 for all NFL DBs at 68. that's too many. so yeah, he's going to be super tired. he's going to be picked on when he's super tired.

he's an incredible talent. but it's terrible coaching to let him play that many snaps in general, and worse when he's coming off not playing for like 3 weeks.

they have to put him on a snap count if they want to maximize him and have him be a positive part of their team and scheme for the rest of the year. he's going to get hurt playing almost 80% of snaps on offense and defense in every game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Not as noticeable when you have a D1/future NFL QB and several D1/future NFL players playing against D3 level competition. 

It makes all the difference in the world when you're playing against the big boys. Ask Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. 

Calling a Division 1 conference made up of mostly HBCUs “D3 level competition” seems rather questionable, but also the level of take I’d expect from your history as a poster. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

Hunter was just gassed and was on an island against #13.  They didn't give him any help.  He's not superman.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Hunter was just gassed and was on an island against #13.  They didn't give him any help.  He's not superman.

This is a danger when all time great players become coaches. Sanders could very well be dictating Hunter's use and lack of help. 

"I was great and I could play offense and still shut down anyone for a whole game. Just do that."

Two problems with that. First is that Sanders didn't play nearly as much offense as Hunter is (at altitude!). Could that be because Sanders always wanted to play more offense than coaches let him? Regardless, the second issue is that while Hunter is really good, he's not close to being as good as Sanders was. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What would you compare the talent level to? FCS? Serious question.

Considering they are D1 FCS, I would say that’s exactly the level of competition Deion faced. Jackson State beat Florida A&M 59-3 in week 2 last year. That Florida A&M team 9-2 with it’s only other loss being 56-24 at UNC in Week 1. Something tells me that Florida A&M team was not D3 level of competition, but that’s just me. Hermanator’s clearly the expert here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Considering they are D1 FCS, I would say that’s exactly the level of competition Deion faced. Jackson State beat Florida A&M 59-3 in week 2 last year. That Florida A&M team 9-2 with it’s only other loss being 56-24 at UNC in Week 1. Something tells me that Florida A&M team was not D3 level of competition, but that’s just me. Hermanator’s clearly the expert here. 

Not gonna lie, I didn’t know they were FCS.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a danger when all time great players become coaches. Sanders could very well be dictating Hunter's use and lack of help. 

"I was great and I could play offense and still shut down anyone for a whole game. Just do that."

Two problems with that. First is that Sanders didn't play nearly as much offense as Hunter is (at altitude!). Could that be because Sanders always wanted to play more offense than coaches let him? Regardless, the second issue is that while Hunter is really good, he's not close to being as good as Sanders was. 

Also need to remember that Hunter is still just a true sophomore.  And coming off an injury so he wasn't in game shape.  Prime played him way too many snaps.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Were his Jackson State teams known for a lack of discipline when they won their conference his last 2 years there and went 23-3 & 16-0 in conference during that stretch?

Not sure, but I do know that those teams went on to lose their final game each season to big underdogs in whatever Bowl game the HBCU's play in.

I don’t feel like Deion was playing 70-80 snaps a game in a pass heavy time either.

Is Colorado the most over-hyped team ever? I think it's a genuine possibility, considering that they've constantly had celebrities at games and have been all the media has talked about for weeks. All of that occurred just for them to lose on their own turf to one of the worst teams in CFB this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, z009 said:

Is Colorado the most over-hyped team ever? I think it's a genuine possibility, considering that they've constantly had celebrities at games and have been all the media has talked about for weeks. All of that occurred just for them to lose on their own turf to one of the worst teams in CFB this year. 

Winning at TCU raised eyebrows.  Following that up with thrashing hapless Nebraska kicked things off, and a thriller with Colorado State started the chain reaction. Then reality set in.

Alternatively, if they had lost to TCU (and potentially Colorado State) then 1-2 Colorado is pretty subdued.  

4 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Winning at TCU raised eyebrows.  Following that up with thrashing hapless Nebraska kicked things off, and a thriller with Colorado State started the chain reaction. Then reality set in.

Alternatively, if they had lost to TCU (and potentially Colorado State) then 1-2 Colorado is pretty subdued.  

Had they lost to TCU the hype would have never built up like it did despite winning the next two.  Them being 3-0 with putting up video game type offensive stats created the hype.  A lot of people who don’t watch or closely follow college football started following Colorado and proclaiming them the best team in the country.  Now the wheels have fallen off and Colorado supporters can only fall back on 5 probable wins this year versus 1 last year as a sign of their greatness.  They ignore that that kind of improvement happens every year in college football and will only become more common with the transfer portal.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:46 AM, NoName said:

it's almost like playing 150 snaps a game is bad for a player.

i don't pay for PFF but NFL snap count #s are out there so going to use them for a comparison

• the NFL leader in snaps per game at WR through 5 weeks was DeVonta Freeman who averaged 73 snaps per game. nobody else was over 70. there are only 9 WR who averaged over 60 snaps / game.
  • the DB leader in snaps averages 73 per game also (Julian Blackmon) but they have more dudes who are over 70 - 11 dudes have 70+ snaps at DB - don't have the breakdown by CB vs Safety or would use that.

if someone does pay for PFF and can pull these snap stats that would be great.

in the full games he's played this year he plays almost as many snaps at WR at the NFL leader in WR (72.3) snaps and would be just outside the top 10 for all NFL DBs at 68. that's too many. so yeah, he's going to be super tired. he's going to be picked on when he's super tired.

he's an incredible talent. but it's terrible coaching to let him play that many snaps in general, and worse when he's coming off not playing for like 3 weeks.

they have to put him on a snap count if they want to maximize him and have him be a positive part of their team and scheme for the rest of the year. he's going to get hurt playing almost 80% of snaps on offense and defense in every game.

PFF doesn't do snap counts for WR's - best you can get is the number of pass snaps the WR played.

Here are the snap count leaders for CB:  Hunter has played 273 defensive snaps in 4 games per PFF

image.thumb.png.cb6f1ff099eca87e60dc78718df0460c.png

Here are the pass snap leaders for WR:  Hunter is third on his team with 167 pass snaps

image.thumb.png.479caaafc4a43292f32c534f94123077.png

• Hook 'Em 1

What were the ratings for the CU/Stanford game? The guys on XM84 seemed bizarrely certain that the ratings a for 9pm Friday night kickoff would be pretty stout.

Our game on the 28th at the Rose Bowl, with some tarps removed making capacity 67k, is a sellout. By far our highest attendance of the year.
  • Like 1

Our game on the 28th at the Rose Bowl, with some tarps removed making capacity 67k, is a sellout. By far our highest attendance of the year.

Go Sbbruin!!! Deion will have them ready for “Prime Time” in the Rose Bowl! Your 2nd half depth will play a role, as Stanford displayed.

Might be a great game through three quarters?

Hook’em!!!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Not like they have the ability to run the football and eat the clock up.

They actually ran fairly decent against Stanford especially with a negative 45 yards due to sacks. Take out the sacks and they averaged ~5 yards per carry. Two horrible CU 4th down turnovers gave Stanford short fields. Punts would have forced Stanford to eat up more time scoring.

Teams average 5-7 possessions per half. With a 29-0 halftime lead, its doesn’t take much to win. Obviously it’s not impossible to lose but Deion screwed up as coach. It wasn’t about his players quitting or him missing a few extra players.

i think Deion mainly wanted a 60-0 victory. He reminds me of me at the craps table trying to get back after I was up big.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

He’s definitely running him into the ground.

He's playing him too many snaps, no argument there.  But I don't know how you get from there to abuse.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

You're welcome.  

They actually ran fairly decent against Stanford especially with a negative 45 yards due to sacks. Take out the sacks and they averaged ~5 yards per carry. Two horrible CU 4th down turnovers gave Stanford short fields. Punts would have forced Stanford to eat up more time scoring.
Teams average 5-7 possessions per half. With a 29-0 halftime lead, its doesn’t take much to win. Obviously it’s not impossible to lose but Deion screwed up as coach. It wasn’t about his players quitting or him missing a few extra players.
i think Deion mainly wanted a 60-0 victory. He reminds me of me at the craps table trying to get back after I was up big.

CU’s offense in the 2nd, vs Stanford, was questionable to say the least. 4th down, you can always punt when you have the lead, so the opponent has to go the length of the field?

It was an awesome game though, as I stayed up until about 1:15 Sat AM for the completion of the game. #13 for Stanford will be a “portal” target for many big $$$ schools, as he was awesome in the 2nd half alone! Big body, makes contested catches, and can get YAC! Hopefully somebody like that made an awareness with the UT Staff?

Hook’em!!!

On 10/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, NoName said:

yeah he's running this kid into the ground. it was legit hard to watch as stanford just targeted him over and over late in the game, and all he could do was huff and puff and wear his body down chasing a losing cause for a coach who is not looking out for his long term health. TH needs a break, or he could end up costing himself millions in earnings plus his dream of playing in the NFL, where could be a star. 

• Like 1

I think Deion learned a bit from Jerry Jones during his Cowboys stint: you don’t need to always win to make money in this game. College D1 football is a lot about eyes on set as much as it is W/L. Maybe he is playing this game. JJ certainly has for more than a couple decades. Yup there are significant differences , but money talks and bullshit walks.

With TV and NIL money, wins  and losses are important but maybe not everything. Yes has to have a winning percentage but as long as eyes are on sets, and revenue is decent, losses are a secondary problem. Controversy could be advantageous. NFL is not so removed from the D1 game now.

I think Deion learned a bit from Jerry Jones during his Cowboys stint: you don’t need to always win to make money in this game. College D1 football is a lot about eyes on set as much as it is W/L. Maybe he is playing this game. JJ certainly has for more than a couple decades. Yup there are significant differences , but money talks and bullshit walks.
With TV and NIL money, wins  and losses are important but maybe not everything. Yes has to have a winning percentage but as long as eyes are on sets, and revenue is decent, losses are a secondary problem. Controversy could be advantageous. NFL is not so removed from the D1 game now.
I'm wondering how long the powers at Colorado will keep Deion there if he's not winning. Do they even really care about winning? It's not like they were a powerhouse that expects excellence. Maybe 6 wins and a lower bowl game is all they need.

But if Deion isn't winning a lot, I can't imagine the hype and eyes on sets and the sellouts will continue. I've even noticed a lot less hype after they got drilled by Oregon and then lost to USC. The newness is slowly wearing off.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm wondering how long the powers at Colorado will keep Deion there if he's not winning. Do they even really care about winning? It's not like they were a powerhouse that expects excellence. Maybe 6 wins and a lower bowl game is all they need.

But if Deion isn't winning a lot, I can't imagine the hype and eyes on sets and the sellouts will continue. I've even noticed a lot less hype after they got drilled by Oregon and then lost to USC. The newness is slowly wearing off.

He'll recruit defense. They'll improve. Water will find it's level. They'll be a regular bowl team that plays up (because marketing) and will occasionally shock a higher team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how is Deion doing in recruiting? i've just been assuming that he's going to sign like 5 or 6 of the top 15 HS seniors , and then hit the portal hard, but i don't keep up with that stuff.

Absolutely not. Nobody is doing that though.

edit: maybe you meant 150?

Edited by Hank_Hill

10 hours ago, Slacks said:

He'll recruit defense. They'll improve. Water will find it's level. They'll be a regular bowl team that plays up (because marketing) and will occasionally shock a higher team.

they need to actually bring in some dudes then. despite the HUGE amount of eyeballs and interest nationally, they have exactly 1 commit in the last 129 days.

that one commit is Amontrae Bradford, an EDGE from Georgia. he took his officials to Vandy, A&M, Indiana, VT and Colorado.

image.png.39d33e0c2eba557dec800d286cc51bc4.png

i know he's taking the waiting game approach but it sure seems like a huge missed opportunity, even with his % he wants from transfer portal vs high school. especially with the offensive talent they have coming back next year at QB

16 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Maybe 6 wins and a lower bowl game is all they need.

For this year, I agree.  But yes, the fans care quite a bit about winning.  The school did not for a long time (and it showed), but CU got a new President in July 2021 and he sees the value to the school in sports.  And Prime even being hired is the result.  No way the prior administration approves that hire.

5 hours ago, NoName said:

they need to actually bring in some dudes then. despite the HUGE amount of eyeballs and interest nationally, they have exactly 1 commit in the last 129 days.

that one commit is Amontrae Bradford, an EDGE from Georgia. he took his officials to Vandy, A&M, Indiana, VT and Colorado.

image.png.39d33e0c2eba557dec800d286cc51bc4.png

i know he's taking the waiting game approach but it sure seems like a huge missed opportunity, even with his % he wants from transfer portal vs high school. especially with the offensive talent they have coming back next year at QB

They are in on several high profile recruits, but you are correct about the lack of recent commits.  I expect a big chunk of this year's class to come from the portal again.  But they need to hit on more OL and DL HS recruits.

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

They are in on several high profile recruits, but you are correct about the lack of recent commits.  I expect a big chunk of this year's class to come from the portal again.  But they need to hit on more OL and DL HS recruits.

shooting for the stars is great but you have to actually get some dudes, even if they don't stick get them in the door.

the whole thing is weird. no clue how the class ends up rankings or average wise.

• Hook 'Em 1