No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

3 hours ago, slorch said:

This is patently false, but don't let that get in the way of a good thread, and I'm not talking about the wine.  You wanna debate Leach's recruiting or lack of CEO gladhanding skills?  I hear ya.   He's a hellova  football coach, influencer of the game, and developer of other coaches.

I was rolling with his premise to show that, even assuming it was correct, he completely misses the point.

18 hours ago, DonnyKerabatsos said:

He is a two-time national coach of the year, three-time conference coach of the year

But he hasnt won a conference title like Tom Herman or Charlie Strong. Sucks indeed.

Mike Price won two conference championships at WSU. Mike Leach is no Mike Price.

Just because Leach beat A&M doesn’t change the fact that he lost to Memphis. He’ll probably lose the Egg Bowl again. Just like the Apple Cup. And his press conferences really aren’t that funny anymore. 

• Fuck You 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:25 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Doesn’t matter. Beating Aggie isn’t dinner major accomplishment. Still overrated with no conference championships

Leach's dominance over aggy is sweet schadenfreude b/c they've always maintained that they're too good for him, to ever consider him as a coaching option and yet he continually pushes their stool in again and again.

If you don't get that, I don't know what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Mike Price won two conference championships at WSU. Mike Leach is no Mike Price.

Just because Leach beat A&M doesn’t change the fact that he lost to Memphis. He’ll probably lose the Egg Bowl again. Just like the Apple Cup. And his press conferences really aren’t that funny anymore. 

Shouldn't you be off scrubbing the internet for pictures of Lord Urban's fingerbang?  Leach has a place in college hall of fame as an offensive innovator.  Yeah,  he's not the best head coach but he changed the game, and he absolutely hates AM as do we.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

This horse has been beaten to death at least a 8 times.

He's good-great situational offensive mind, likely an all time A-.
He does a good job putting smaller, slower athletes in positions where they can negate the advantages of bigger, faster teams, especially when the opposition has aTm on their helmet.
He's ignored the defensive side of the ball for pretty much the entirety of his 20 year career.
His clock management & field position awareness are both mediocre to poor.
He's got a winning percentage of 59%, 75% against unranked opponents and 25% against ranked.
He's good for a stunning upset once a year or so, and just as his team is about to be labeled "legit" he shits the bed which leads to one of his semi-legendary pressers.

He's good, fun, irreverent, and only his grasp of the big picture & finer points of team football prevent him from being a great to elite coach that would make him desirable by most any program. As much as[mention=354]slorch[/mention] likes to downplay the soft & organizational skills required of a HC, they're integral parts of the job.

We need to enjoy him while he's here, especially when he's exposing aggy as the dipshits they are.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Shouldn't you be off scrubbing the internet for pictures of Lord Urban's fingerbang?  Leach has a place in college hall of fame as an offensive innovator.  Yeah,  he's not the best head coach but he changed the game, and he absolutely hates AM as do we.  

He hasn’t innovated anything in years. And is he really an innovator or is he just running Hal Mumme’s offense? One of the most entertaining things he’s done recently was to get called out in 2018 by Washington’s DC about how easy it was to defend against Leach’s offense and then see him get rolled by them again in 2019. They even showed the quote during the broadcast of the game. Now that was entertaining.

The Aggies are weird. I don’t think anyone outside of Longhorn Nation thinks seeing them lose is that big of a deal. Mike Leach fanboys are weird too. He’ll win a big game here and there. I don’t know if A&M qualifies. But he’ll always lose games he has no business losing. He’s more popular for his press conferences than for his success on the field.

He lost to Memphis. That shouldn’t happen.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:13 PM, satyanash said:

That happened. And remember when a bunch of Leach’s players in Pullman were accused of assault and he blamed the police and the media?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17542961/mike-leach-accuses-pullman-police-media-targeting-washington-state-football-players

51 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Aggies are weird. I don’t think anyone outside of Longhorn Nation thinks seeing them lose is that big of a deal.

You are incorrect. We (BU) hate them more than anyone too as does everyone that isn't an Aggie in the region. You don't know enough about our (Texas) culture to make such broad statements. Sure we enjoy it when TCU loses to SMU or UT does their Maryland/BYU thing, but NOTHING beats the annual Aggiecoaster.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don’t think anyone outside of Longhorn Nation thinks seeing them lose is that big of a deal.

That's the thing with aggys. They're afterthoughts nationally. Nobody gives two shits about them.

But, if you live in Texas and have to interact with aggy, you realize that they do everything possible to try to make themselves sound important, meaningful, and bigger than they actually are. All while constantly seeking approval. They are a bunch of inbred morons that have convinced themselves of their own greatness, while everybody else just points at them and laughs. So when they lose, it's hilarious, because everybody other than aggy knows they are going to lose, and yet like Charlie Brown kicking the football, they fall for it over and over again, every year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

He does a good job putting smaller, slower athletes in positions where they can negate the advantages of bigger, faster teams, especially when the opposition has aTm on their helmet.
He's ignored the defensive side of the ball for pretty much the entirety of his 20 year career.
He's got a winning percentage of 59%, 75% against unranked opponents and 25% against ranked.
He's good for a stunning upset once a year or so, and just as his team is about to be labeled "legit" he shits the bed which leads to one of his semi-legendary pressers.

He's good, fun, irreverent, and only his grasp of the big picture & finer points of team football prevent him from being a great to elite coach that would make him desirable by most any program. As much as[mention=354]slorch[/mention] likes to downplay the soft & organizational skills required of a HC, they're integral parts of the job.

We need to enjoy him while he's here, especially when he's exposing aggy as the dipshits they are.

When have I ever said he is the perfect coach?  I acknowledge his shortcomings, hell even on the previous post on this page, I called out his recruiting and CEO/ glandhanding skills as being up for debate within the context of Cajun’s post.

I like the guy.  He’s probably my single favorite coach in all of sports.  There’s a variety of reasons there, including some of his ‘imperfections.’

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

That's the thing with aggys. They're afterthoughts nationally. Nobody gives two shits about them.

But, if you live in Texas and have to interact with aggy, you realize that they do everything possible to try to make themselves sound important, meaningful, and bigger than they actually are. All while constantly seeking approval. They are a bunch of inbred morons that have convinced themselves of their own greatness, while everybody else just points at them and laughs. So when they lose, it's hilarious, because everybody other than aggy knows they are going to lose, and yet like Charlie Brown kicking the football, they fall for it over and over again, every year.

Well, sure. That’s why most rivalries are based on geography, because fans and alumni of rival schools live and work together and interact regularly. But I figure beating a team like A&M that has a handful of losses every year doesn’t make Mike Leach a great coach for handing them one of those losses. 

the charlie brown part is the funniest part.  when leach went to MSU we ALL knew he was going to win at Kyle and beat them as much as anyone.  That's the hysterical part about this all - it's not only Bama that will embarrass them, now it's the dregs of MSU.  the mighty "texas fightn aggies" lost to Mississippi State, something they thought impossible but we all knew was more than likely.  Leach - nothing more than an underachieving, drunk piriate - has their number and I love it. bwahahahahaha.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, troph said:

the charlie brown part is the funniest part.  when leach went to MSU we ALL knew he was going to win at Kyle and beat them as much as anyone.  That's the hysterical part about this all - it's not only Bama that will embarrass them, now it's the dregs of MSU.  the mighty "texas fightn aggies" lost to Mississippi State, something they thought impossible but we all knew was more than likely.  Leach - nothing more than an underachieving, drunk piriate - has their number and I love it. bwahahahahaha.

I agree in spirit, but aggy is 5-5 against MSU since joining the SEC and have lost 4 of the last 6.

48 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Tell me you're not from Texas without telling me you're not from Texas.

Fair enough. I’ve visited message boards for Baylor, TCU, Houston, SMU, and UTEP. I’ve had more exposure to Longhorns boards because there’s more action there. Shaggy/surly are the only non-B1G independent boards I’ve joined. But it’s been my impression that, since UT is the flagship program of the State, the other fans are more concerned about the Longhorns than they are about the Aggies. 

On 10/4/2021 at 5:16 AM, futureman said:

there was some kind of backhanded compliment in there. he said the girl was like “san luis obispo is a shitty little hick town, it sucks, I want to leave” but then he said actually it’s a nice little town. and was comparing that to CS. I don’t know, maybe it was nothing. 

It's always something with leach. That's exactly how I read it. 

17 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Fair enough. I’ve visited message boards for Baylor, TCU, Houston, SMU, and UTEP. I’ve had more exposure to Longhorns boards because there’s more action there. Shaggy/surly are the only non-B1G independent boards I’ve joined. But it’s been my impression that, since UT is the flagship program of the State, the other fans are more concerned about the Longhorns than they are about the Aggies. 

Yes and no. Time and distance are factors without doubt. A&M was BU's longest and most hated rivalry even though A&M dominated it. There were even deaths from football games in the early 20th Century. Hell back in the 80s my dad paid a couple of actors to walk around in yell leader uniforms near the visitors entrance to Floyd Casey and make out with each other. A lot of old Aggie feathers were ruffled that day.

With A&M leaving we then focused on UT and TCU since we played them annually and the students of the last decade have missed out on that. I'm sure it'll be similar with UT being gone now now. 

On Tech's side they had a really intense rivalry with A&M for the last few decades. Tech/Texas wasn't really much of a thing

GAP kid - aggypedia

350px-GAPkid.jpg

SMU had their thing too...

Eric Dickerson with his new Gold Trans-Am shortly before announcing he  would sign with Texas A&M, only later to change to SMU (and kee… | Eric  dickerson, Trans, Smu

SMU Cheerleaders versus A&M Corpsman: gifs

It was really an us vs them thing in the whole state with A&M being the "them" and not UT.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yes and no. Time and distance are factors without doubt. A&M was BU's longest and most hated rivalry even though A&M dominated it. There were even deaths from football games in the early 20th Century. Hell back in the 80s my dad paid a couple of actors to walk around in yell leader uniforms near the visitors entrance to Floyd Casey and make out with each other. A lot of old Aggie feathers were ruffled that day.

With A&M leaving we then focused on UT and TCU since we played them annually and the students of the last decade have missed out on that. I'm sure it'll be similar with UT being gone now now. 

Your dad sounds awesome. 

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hell back in the 80s my dad paid a couple of actors to walk around in yell leader uniforms near the visitors entrance to Floyd Casey and make out with each other. A lot of old Aggie feathers were ruffled that day.

can we crowd fund this for our return games ? this is hilarious 

• Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Really he did the gay corps actors thing? I’ve always said that would be funny, but didn’t want to have to pay for their funerals.

As far I know he really did it, but I wasn't born until 1989. I do know I've only seen him flip the bird one time in my life and it was on October 30 2004 when Baylor upset A&M in OT. We ran onto the field and he ran up to the visitor's side where the corps was sitting and just let loose. That was 20ish years of frustration right there.

I hate realignment. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:42 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

He hasn’t innovated anything in years. And is he really an innovator or is he just running Hal Mumme’s offense? One of the most entertaining things he’s done recently was to get called out in 2018 by Washington’s DC about how easy it was to defend against Leach’s offense and then see him get rolled by them again in 2019. They even showed the quote during the broadcast of the game. Now that was entertaining.

The Aggies are weird. I don’t think anyone outside of Longhorn Nation thinks seeing them lose is that big of a deal. Mike Leach fanboys are weird too. He’ll win a big game here and there. I don’t know if A&M qualifies. But he’ll always lose games he has no business losing. He’s more popular for his press conferences than for his success on the field.

He lost to Memphis. That shouldn’t happen.

Mike Leach last coached under Hal Mumme in 1999 Acting like he just took the Mumme offense and photocopied it everywhere is hilarious and one of the more ill informed things written on this website full of people spouting off dumb shit while being ill informed.

The original Leach spin on the Air Raid was to go to 4 wide, 1 back sets - he then switched to wider OL splits, more of a focus on the "H" position, and lots of things with 4 verticals.

Mumme did great work at Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta St and Kentucky, but his jobs after that (SE Lousiania, NM State, McMurry, Belhaven and then OCs at Jackson State (left after 3 games), the XFL and the Spring League don't really show much innovation since then.

Meanwhile, Leach has this huge coaching tree, had success at OU, TTU, WSU and is now making $5m at Miss State. So no, he isn't just running the same version of the Mumme offense from Valdosta St in 1994.

One of the most entertaining things he’s done recently was to get called out in 2018 by Washington’s DC about how easy it was to defend against Leach’s offense and then see him get rolled by them again in 2019.

in 2018 Washington State had the #6 OFEI in the country, in 2019 he had #12 OFEI.

in 18 they lost  28-15 - it was 20-15 going into the 4th Q.

in 19 they lost 31-13 and were 6-7 for the year.

But he’ll always lose games he has no business losing

that's what happens when you throw it like 75% of the time...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2021 at 7:55 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I'll never forgive Leach for shitting his pants so badly in Norman in 08. 

On 10/5/2021 at 9:00 AM, Johnny Sack said:

Ten winning seasons in a row at Texas Tech.  Finished ranked 5 out of the last 6 years there.

A top ten finish at Washington State.

He can take bottom tier teams and in year 3 or 4 of a system, have them winning 8-10 games and finishing in the top 25.

A career 60% winning percentage coaching at Tech, Washington State, and Miss State is really, really good.

He's basically a slightly worse Mike Gundy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

On Tech's side they had a really intense rivalry with A&M for the last few decades. Tech/Texas wasn't really much of a thing

GAP kid - aggypedia

350px-GAPkid.jpg

SMU had their thing too...

Eric Dickerson with his new Gold Trans-Am shortly before announcing he  would sign with Texas A&M, only later to change to SMU (and kee… | Eric  dickerson, Trans, Smu

SMU Cheerleaders versus A&M Corpsman: gifs

It was really an us vs them thing in the whole state with A&M being the "them" and not UT.

Never forget- Big Dick McKinney in the first picture has nailed by friendly fire from another aggy spinning his binoculars with the strap.  And they blamed Techsans of course.   Yet another layer of aggy lies and deceit.

16 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

He's basically a slightly worse Mike Gundy.

yea that is a great comparison

no one out there considers Gundy a great coach yet he has accomplished more than mike has when it comes to meaningful hardware and bowl games.....not a great deal more,but more for sure and in fewer seasons

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

Baylor who is what screwed us.  Just needed them to upset Tech.  They almost did.

Lol good one. At that point we had been 14 years removed from our last bowl game. 

It was an RGIII team so it was possible and it was close, but it never felt like we were going to win.

That's the Graham Harrell "broken hand" game, when his pinkie and middle  fingers on his non-throwing hand were injured,  so for whatever that was worth.  Crabtree was also in limp mode from his fucked up ankle/ foot.  Baylor absolutely had a shot at that game.  

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Lol good one. At that point we had been 14 years removed from our last bowl game. 

It was an RGIII team so it was possible and it was close, but it never felt like we were going to win.

Dude, Baylor went into the 4th with the lead and Tech had to stop them on a 4th down at midfield to preserve a 7-point win. 

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

How fucking fortunate for us. 

Leach has some offensive scheme skill but is not a good head coach, and never was. He was a gimmick that averaged 8-4. He’s also a shitbag person that Tech rightfully shitcanned and Tech went from 8-4 to worse. Newsflash: they are only slightly more irrelevant than they were under Leach. 

I’m not going to give him credit for beating A&M and recognizing how idiotic A&M is. Any coach/person worth their salt should. 

Rightfully shitcanned? If taking Leach’s side vs CJK5H is wrong then I don’t want to be right.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]