No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

40 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I dont think that's fair. He went .500 or better in conference every year in his final 9 seasons in Lubbock. They haven't done that once since.

Yeah but just think how much tougher the conference is now than Leach was coaching 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

They are fucking morons. A year or two into his tenure, he was having to pay for the postage for letters to recruits out of his own pocket

2008: Leach went 11-2 and that was the Crabtree catch year. Send me a SASE if you want more info about playing here. 

2009: 9-4. Fired after the shed incident. But stomped OU 41-13. I’d like to do that to OU in Dallas with something fried up their ass.

Then Tech fired Leach and moved on to Senator Tubberville. Tortilla Salad Tossers with no vision for the future.

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He was fired for embarrassing the university over and over and over again, and having his agent constantly work Hance, Myers and Sowell for money. Those guys hated him. The shed incident was an HR reason. 

What exactly did he do to embarrass the university over and over again? Also it’s an agents job to try to get his client more money. If they can’t handle that then they’re in the wrong business.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He was fired for embarrassing the university over and over and over again, and having his agent constantly work Hance, Myers and Sowell for money. Those guys hated him. The shed incident was an HR reason. 

Tech should have been throwing Jimbo money at Leach after those wins against Texas and OU. The energy Leach brought to the fanbase was bigger than anything Kliffy ever did for them. I was glad when Tech fired him.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Tech should have been throwing Jimbo money at Leach after those wins against Texas and OU. The energy Leach brought to the fanbase was bigger than anything Kliffy ever did for them. I was glad when Tech fired him.

Tech took down the #1 team in the country in 2008 while reaching the #3 spot the season before they fired him. Sumlin could have taken a morning hang over shit in the middle of Kyle while singing The Eyes after 2012 and aggy would have given him a raise. Tech did something so dumb even aggy wouldn't have done it. Granted, aggy gives raises whenever a coach farts.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Did he really embarrass the university or could those fuckers just not take it because he wouldn’t kiss their rings?

This.

Mike Leach didn't embarrass Tech remotely approaching the way our GOBs did.

LO-fucking_L at applying any credibility or cause to the Adam James incident.  It was trumped up up bullshit.  and oh the huge manatee... Mike fucking Leach did everything he could to fight off Tech's propensity for low-ball contract offers, and someone on here wants to act like that was some affront to his employer?   Little did he know, contracts mean jack shit to Texas Tech athletics.

Edited by slorch

44 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yeah I don’t care about Tech firing coaches. What was Leach’s record versus Texas and OU?  Terrible?  Yeah, it was terrible. 

In answer to your question he beat Texas twice and OU three times in a 10 year career there during which both programs were national powerhouses winning an NC each and multiple other NC game appearances.  If you think that's lackimg for a program the level of Tech then apparently you think he should have had Tech at a decade long NC level as well.  Good luck with that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

In answer to your question he beat Texas twice and OU three times in a 10 year career there during which both programs were national powerhouses winning an NC each and multiple other NC game appearances.  If you think that's lackimg for a program the level of Tech then apparently you think he should have had Tech at a decade long NC level as well.  Good luck with that.

Excellent point. Leach was winning games against Texas and ou during the golden era when both teams were making championship runs. The earlier comparison to Herman would only make sense if Herman had multiple wins over Alabama and Clemson.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Leach repeatedly embarrassed the university. If his offers were low balls, he should’ve gone elsewhere instead of sticking around annoying the very people from whom he was trying to obtain a better offer. But he wasn’t a hot commodity because he’s not a very good head coach. 

It’s always astounding how many Leach supporters there are. 

I’ll ask it again. How did leach repeatedly embarrass the university. 

37 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Herman was .200 against OU. Charlie was .333 against OU - surpassing Leach’s record against either. And, neither OU nor Texas in the 2000s was Clemson, much less Alabama. Leach is exactly Herman. 

Diminishing the Texas glory years in the 2000's to try and prop up your terrible opinion.

disappointed the wire GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ask Jim Sowell and Kent Hance. It’s pretty well documented from back then. Also, watch about half of the interviews / PCs Leach does, and you’ll have your answer. 

No, he embarrassed them. The university hasn't really been talked about since his firing (save Patrick Mahomes). It worked out for Leach in the end conference wise though. 

Tech has caught lightning in a bottle twice (Jim Carlen and Mike Leach), but fired both because they wanted more power. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/5/2021 at 2:49 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Mike Price won two conference championships at WSU. Mike Leach is no Mike Price.

Just because Leach beat A&M doesn’t change the fact that he lost to Memphis. He’ll probably lose the Egg Bowl again. Just like the Apple Cup. And his press conferences really aren’t that funny anymore. 

You shut your whore mouth.  Mike Leach makes football fun and sure as hell gets 1,000,000 internet points for having aggies number.  

btw do you not know of the fat lil girlfriends?😁

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Leach repeatedly embarrassed the university. If his offers were low balls, he should’ve gone elsewhere instead of sticking around annoying the very people from whom he was trying to obtain a better offer. But he wasn’t a hot commodity because he’s not a very good head coach. 

It’s always astounding how many Leach supporters there are. 

• Spike Dykes is loved there and won 55% of his games
  • Mike Leach won 66% of his games there.
  • Tuberville was at 54%
  • Kingsburg was at 46%
  • Matt Wells is somehow at 36% (this is truly astounding)

Leach literally has the best winning percentage at TTU since someone named Pete Cawthon in 1940 (69.3%) - second best in their programs history.

he is many things, but calling him "not a very good head coach" is both wrong and funny.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Talking of TTU firing Leach makes me wish they got demoted to a G5 school. It’s fucking Lubbock they need a Leach to make anyone care about that hell hole. Leach might not be the greatest coach but he’s about as good as they are going to get. I’m guessing maybe Baby briles is up next after they shit can Wells at the end of the year. 

21 minutes ago, Rhinotx said:

Talking of TTU firing Leach makes me wish they got demoted to a G5 school. It’s fucking Lubbock they need a Leach to make anyone care about that hell hole. Leach might not be the greatest coach but he’s about as good as they are going to get. I’m guessing maybe Baby briles is up next after they shit can Wells at the end of the year. 

Sonny Dykes seems to be as big of a slam dunk as they can make. 

• 3 weeks later...

“But you have to go to the Dollar Store to find it. And I do.”

Lulz, that is awesome. I 100% believe Coach Leach goes to the dollar store and loads up on Spree in the box. 

The middle school I want to had a vending machine that sold Spree in the box for $0.50, and it ran out often. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m pretty sure that from the Spike to Leach era there was a long stretch that Tech was the team with the longest continual bowl eligibility. And that’s nothing to sneeze at with Tech.

I can’t believe there’s a question about his coaching job at Tech. At the time, the Big XII was consistently the best or second best conference top to bottom. UT and OU were playing like national powers, NU had not imploded, you had very solid teams at OSU under Miles/Gundy, Purple Wizard doing purple wizard stuff, hell even Kansas and Mizzou had their years. A&M….had pretty Ok recruiting classes? Better than Tech’s for sure.

Leach had winning records and sometimes really contended. That’s a hell of an accomplishment at Tech, as their record in a much diminished league since his departure testifies. 

On 10/24/2021 at 7:36 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

I’m pretty sure that from the Spike to Leach era there was a long stretch that Tech was the team with the longest continual bowl eligibility. And that’s nothing to sneeze at with Tech.

I can’t believe there’s a question about his coaching job at Tech. At the time, the Big XII was consistently the best or second best conference top to bottom. UT and OU were playing like national powers, NU had not imploded, you had very solid teams at OSU under Miles/Gundy, Purple Wizard doing purple wizard stuff, hell even Kansas and Mizzou had their years. A&M….had pretty Ok recruiting classes? Better than Tech’s for sure.

Leach had winning records and sometimes really contended. That’s a hell of an accomplishment at Tech, as their record in a much diminished league since his departure testifies. 

I don't think Tech fans really cared if they won a national title under Leach.    Speaking to a few who were pissed then when Leach was fired and are even pissed more now because of the status of their program pretty much confirm this.  They knew under Leach they were going to score points and at the end of the day, it would take a team who could make two or more crtical stops or cause turnovers who would win the game.   So they would be content with Texas or OU beating them 60 to 40, because they knew in between those games, they would be aggy, K-State, Okie State, etc. by a similar score and come in third and a trip non New Years Day bowl, but still a respectable one.  If they beat Texas or OU one of those seasons, that was a feather in their cap, but not enough to print T-shirts and cups like aggy.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32570184/mississippi-state-mike-leach-touts-tryout-kicker-3-missed-field-goals-vs-arkansas

open tryout for kickers anyone that can kick a football is welcome to try

this is what the 30th game in his career he has lost because he does not give a fuck about special teams

16 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Didn’t he do that at tech one year and wind up with a pretty good kicker?

he ended up with "Lynnwood"

Lynnwood Townhomes (that used to be geared to students, but now has gone low rent) had a halftime contest to kick a field goal for free rent for a year

Matt Williams won the contest and successfully kicked for free rent and after the game and the Tech kicker being so shitty mike offered Matt the job and Matt took it.....in the process he had to give up the free rent for the year

a game or two later they were asking a couple of the Tech star players what they thought of Matt Williams and how he had been doing and they were like "who WTF?" and the reporter said you know your new field goal kicker and the players laughed and said "oh you mean Lynnwood" and said how great he was doing

Edited by ButtFumble

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]