No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

All while wearing a mask beneath his nose. Legend

He's just a funny guy. And says what's on his mind without a care.

I know a guy who played QB for him and Hal Mumme and spent years working with them collaborating on designing plays. He absolutely loves Leach and has nothing but good things to say about him. Still keeps in touch with him, even though this guy has had a professional career in another field for a couple of decades now.

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Learn CPR people. It's simple and saves lives.

i am sure everyone knows at least the simplest form of CPR at this point.

It's possible he left a room and someone wondered why he hadn't come back, went to check on him, and discovered his condition.

or CPR was tried and "medical attention" refers to how long before the professionals got there.

All speculation, of course.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hearing Leach has suffered brain trauma that is not survivable( brain death) and that family is being called to Jackson to say their final goodbyes.

This fucking sucks. 

Massive heart attack didn't receive medical attention for 10-15 minutes, had to be brought back on the scene, subsequent seizures as well, and reports that he flatlined multiple other times. Would all add up to that. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Hmbre97 said:

Not to derail from the thread but how do people that free dive and go long times without air not suffer these consequences? ELI5

They still have blood flow and oxygen flow. In this case I will assume Leach didn't have either due to the heart attack.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

39 minutes ago, yoladu said:

i am sure everyone knows at least the simplest form of CPR at this point.

It's possible he left a room and someone wondered why he hadn't come back, went to check on him, and discovered his condition.

or CPR was tried and "medical attention" refers to how long before the professionals got there.

All speculation, of course.

My grandfather had a massive heart attack while brushing his teeth. My grandmother was outside doing yard work - when he hadn’t come out after a while she went in and found him on the ground. Exact same scenario. Except this was in 2000 and he was never revived. 

Met Mike about 4 years ago at a speech he was giving; he signed my copy of Swing Your Sword (he would not put CJK5H for the inscription, because his attorney told him not to do it any longer) and I have a few pics of him (his idea, BTW) with my wife and I.

He was as gracious as you can imagine.  Shorter than he looks on TV, too.

Never been one like him, and probably will never be another like him either.  College football has had plenty of characters, but none like the Pirate.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Just goes to show once again that this is an unjust world: that it's even conceivable that Mike Leach could precede Kent Hance and/or Craig James in death. Yes, I fucking said it.

As many of you know, I had a brief foray in the football coaching profession before a series of circumstances forced a different life to happen. I had a lot of coaches whom I considered inspirations to push me in that direction, but Mike Leach was damn near at the top of the list. Had the pleasure of meeting him once before the 2008 season began. Great dude and not one of the ones who require a mythology to build that aura (i.e. Schembechler, Paterno, etc). 

Thank you, Pirate. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Massive heart attack didn't receive medical attention for 10-15 minutes, had to be brought back on the scene, subsequent seizures as well, and reports that he flatlined multiple other times. Would all add up to that. 

18 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

My grandfather had a massive heart attack while brushing his teeth. My grandmother was outside doing yard work - when he hadn’t come out after a while she went in and found him on the ground. Exact same scenario. Except this was in 2000 and he was never revived. 

This is the Terry Schiavo scenario. So sad. 

So sad. Though he was always an opposing coach, he was one you couldn't help but love and root for because of his mix of original personality and humor and an unflinching quirkiness that brought something different and valuable to the game with his unique perspective. College football is worse without him and, though he's blazed a trail for other lawyers-cum-coaches, you don't see a pipeline of other Mike Leach types coming up which I guess means he was truly that special, wild-card, one-in-a-million persona.

Edited by HamsterHookah

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

This is the Terry Schiavo scenario. So sad. 

Yeah I had go through this for my grandfather, too. Had a massive stroke that left him brain dead. He was rushed to a hospital and they kept him on machines until documentation of his advanced directive could be presented and, of course, we had time to say our goodbyes. It fucking sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Leach seems like a no BS guy and reminds me of my father in that respect.  One of my childhood memories is my dad telling me that when he died he wanted to go out quickly and did not want to be hooked up to machines and left to wither in a hospital for months, which is exactly how he went.  I have a sense that Leach would have wanted a similar ending.  

Thanks Mike for your legacy.  I can honestly say you are the only CFB coach that never coached for Texas that I (nearly) always cheered for.

Derek Jeter's Nephew Tips His Cap To Uncle In Adorable Moment (GIF) -  NESN.com

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Back when he was at Tech, he had a phone call scheduled with the Big XII writers.   He was somewhere in west Texas out doing recruiting and had been late to join the call.   He was raving about the fired chicken he had just gotten from Allsups or Toot 'n Totem or some other place as he was on the road.  Totally derailed the whole conversation for like 5-10 minnutes as they all talked about fried chicken on the road.

That, and HaydenHorn's Hawaii story will always make me smile.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Cody Campbell would score some points with me( for whatever that’s worth) in pushing for a statue of Mike Leach in the vicinity of Jones Stadium and the Womble Facility.

No fucks given about the olds who got their feelings hurt.  Recognize the impact Mike Leach on Texas Tech Football and the game itself.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Cody Campbell would score some points with me( for whatever that’s worth) in pushing for a statue of Mike Leach in the vicinity of Jones Stadium and the Womble Facility.

No fucks given about the olds who got their feelings hurt.  Recognize the impact Mike Leach on Texas Tech Football and the game itself.

He, IMO, is your best coach in program history.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]