2020 PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's not close to an ideal candidate for me, and while I lean conservative, I'm not a conservative on every issue, especially social issues. I didn't realize I was going to have to explain where I land on all policies to justify why I voted for Trump, but my vote for Trump is mostly against voting against the DNC; I'm a conservative who voted for Trump, but that doesn't mean I think Trump is necessarily a conservative on most issues. 

I promise I'm not asking this question just to pounce on your answers; I'm legitimately curious. In your mind, what are the three worst things that the DNC has done in the last four years? And since Trump also isn't your ideal candidate, what are the three worst things that Trump has done?

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's not close to an ideal candidate for me, and while I lean conservative, I'm not a conservative on every issue, especially social issues. I didn't realize I was going to have to explain where I land on all policies to justify why I voted for Trump, but my vote for Trump is mostly against voting against the DNC; I'm a conservative who voted for Trump, but that doesn't mean I think Trump is necessarily a conservative on most issues. 

So you, a self-described fiscally but not socially conservative citizen, voted for a fiscally liberal socially conservative New York elitist in order to own the DNC.

Yeah, you're going to have to defend terrible logic around here. It's why most of the Team R types ran away. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I'd probably just stop right here before it gets ugly.
  • Hook 'Em 1

The DNC is a corporation currently run by rightist neoliberals. Why would a conservative hate the DNC. Conservative economic policies dominate the DNC worldview. 

It is pitted against a non-ideological death cult. 

Easy choice here for conservatives. Hayek (conservatives' economic anchor) or Death. 

Just now, Huckleberry said:

So you, a self-described fiscally but not socially conservative citizen, voted for a fiscally liberal socially conservative New York elitist in order to own the DNC.

Yeah, you're going to have to defend terrible logic around here. It's why most of the Team R types ran away. 

I disagree with more of the DNC's policies more than I disagree with Trump's, I'm concerned about the potential ending of the filibuster, adding more DNC favorable voting states like DC, and SCOTUS packing, and I hated the hostile Kavanaugh hearings, impeachment, and other DNC shenanigans. Also, I'm a reservoir engineer, and much of my company's land is federal, so we probably do under if federal fracking is banned, and I'm out of a job. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
20 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'd probably just stop right here before it gets ugly.

Yeah I'm probably done. Good times. I'll see ya'll on the recruiting board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

but my vote for Trump is mostly against voting against the DNC

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

The DNC is a corporation currently run by rightist neoliberals. Why would a conservative hate the DNC. Conservative economic policies dominate the DNC worldview. 

It is pitted against a non-ideological death cult. 

Easy choice here for conservatives. Hayek (conservatives' economic anchor) or Death. 

It's a vote against a fever-dream made up demon (THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS!  AND THEY'LL BAN CHRISTMAS!) vs. an actual demon.  

The GOP vision of the DNC IS a terrifying horror story, I'll give you that. It's a STORY, but it's a scary one.

The Trump GOP itself, though.....no need for stories.  Just reality.  It's more than horrific enough.  

America, where people embrace real demons to save themselves from imaginary ones.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I promise I'm not asking this question just to pounce on your answers; I'm legitimately curious. In your mind, what are the three worst things that the DNC has done in the last four years? And since Trump also isn't your ideal candidate, what are the three worst things that Trump has done?

Three things that stand out with Trump (there are more, but I'm winging it here)

1) Overdoing tariffs (I'm fine with it as a geopolitical tool against China)

2) Overspending, covid relief aside, which I think was warranted

3) Just being an unlikable idiot in general, although I think he's hilarious at times 

Regarding the DNC, things like the Kavanaugh hearings, impeachment, and wasting time and money on the Russia scandal pissed me off, but more than anything I think the DNC is moving further left, and I don't like the potential for them to pack SCOTUS, get rid of the filibuster, and add more states to the union 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's a vote against a fever-dream made up demon (THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR GUNS!  AND THEY'LL BAN CHRISTMAS!) vs. an actual demon.  

The GOP vision of the DNC IS a terrifying horror story, I'll give you that. It's a STORY, but it's a scary one.

The Trump GOP itself, though.....no need for stories.  Just reality.  It's more than horrific enough.  

America, where people embrace real demons to save themselves from imaginary ones.

Well put. 

From a worldview, Trump voters are signing a death warrant for the United States and her allies with four more years of Trump. We lose reserve currency status (as Britain did in WWII) because of Trump's continued fumbling of the nation and the world's economies, and we are done. 

He fucked up the Covid response beyond all recognition. The United States has reserve currency status because we can be counted on to lead and innovate our way out of a crisis (and blaze a path for other nations). We failed and the world took notice. This madness has to stop on November 3. 

Vote. And wear your masks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

this is exactly it. 

there's this fucking comic book idea of what america supposedly was. it's superman's america, where everyone is white, and the good guys are pretty clearly delineated from the bad guys, and superman is always there to make everything right. 

trump is their superman. he's their comic book hero. they don't look past his red tie and his (R). 

truth, justice, and the american way is an illusion that people who still call themselves conservative cloak themselves with. 

Whether or not they ever were, truth, justice, and the American way are demonstrably no longer conservative values.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

I disagree with more of the DNC's policies more than I disagree with Trump's, 1) I'm concerned about the potential ending of the filibuster, 2) adding more DNC favorable voting states like DC, and SCOTUS packing, and 3) I hated the hostile Kavanaugh hearings, impeachment, and other DNC shenanigans. 4) Also, I'm a reservoir engineer, and much of my company's land is federal, so we probably do under if federal fracking is banned, and I'm out of a job. 

1 could be a valid structural concern. So far so good. Well, other than the fact that ending the filibuster if the Rs are in control probably didn't bother you, but we'll ignore that for now.

2 is essentially a tautology and therefore ignored (I don't like the DNC because I don't like the DNC)

3 is a joke. At least I assume you're joking. If you're actually bothered by Dem shenanigans given the current behavior of the Republican Party then you're just Team R and there's not actually any depth of thought involved.

4 is the real and only reason you voted for Trump. You're worried about your bank account. The end.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

I don't like the potential for them to pack SCOTUS, get rid of the filibuster, and add more states to the union 

Why?

For example, why is it okay for the GOP to stuff the courts to fill vacancies that they did not allow Obama to fill, but the Dems don't get to do similarly in return?

What's wrong with adding more states to the union?

Everything you talk about is about preserving one-party rule.  That's it.  All ends to POWER, not policy.  Your America is about power.  That's it, there's nothing else.  GOP hold power, stop the Dems from having any power.  There's no other platform.  That's some broken-ass shit.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

4 is the real and only reason you voted for Trump. You're worried about your bank account. The end.

Yep.  And, by the way.....it's the one reason I can respect.  It's a policy reason, and it's not an imaginary one.  It is one that threatens to have a real effect on his direct self-interest.

In an policy environment, even if it's a GREAT policy, there are gonna be winners and some losers.  Can't blame those who would be on the losing end to vote consistent with their interests.

But stop pretending about everything else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Three things that stand out with Trump (there are more, but I'm winging it here)

1) Overdoing tariffs (I'm fine with it as a geopolitical tool against China)

2) Overspending, covid relief aside, which I think was warranted

3) Just being an unlikable idiot in general, although I think he's hilarious at times 

Regarding the DNC, things like the Kavanaugh hearings, impeachment, and wasting time and money on the Russia scandal pissed me off, but more than anything I think the DNC is moving further left, and I don't like the potential for them to pack SCOTUS, get rid of the filibuster, and add more states to the union 

I appreciate your insight and courage to state your beliefs. sincerely.

On china -  the move away from China started under Obama and Trump wisely stuck to that plan. 

On Overspending - the days of the Pete Peterson deficit/debt scaremongers are done. The Phillips Curve is dead. We overspent like a motherfucker on bailouts for the wealthy when covid hit. The wealthy made money off covid. Meanwhile, none of that largess trickled down to where the pain is felt everyday. 

From an economics perspective, Trump's handling of Covid was/is god awful. A solid F - did not participate.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Why?

For example, why is it okay for the GOP to stuff the courts to fill vacancies that they did not allow Obama to fill, but the Dems don't get to do similarly in return?

What's wrong with adding more states to the union?

Everything you talk about is about preserving one-party rule.  That's it.  All ends to POWER, not policy.  Your America is about power.  That's it, there's nothing else.  GOP hold power, stop the Dems from having any power.  There's no other platform.  That's some broken-ass shit.

The Dems didn't hold the senate in a lameduck year. The GOP does. 

I don't see it that way. I see it as keeping one party from gaining too much control. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

I disagree with more of the DNC's policies more than I disagree with Trump's, I'm concerned about the potential ending of the filibuster, adding more DNC favorable voting states like DC, and SCOTUS packing, and I hated the hostile Kavanaugh hearings, impeachment, and other DNC shenanigans. Also, I'm a reservoir engineer, and much of my company's land is federal, so we probably do under if federal fracking is banned, and I'm out of a job. 

You know of all the problems we've had in the last few years, the first one that always jumps into my mind is the Kavanaugh hearings. What an awful disaster that affected the lives of so many. 

PS, if you're concerned about political party "shenanigans", I'd like to introduce you to a certain Republican party that has been engaging in shenanigans for 40+ years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

You know of all the problems we've had in the last few years, the first one that always jumps into my mind is the Kavanaugh hearings. What an awful disaster that affected the lives of so many. 

PS, if you're concerned about political party "shenanigans", I'd like to introduce you to a certain Republican party that has been engaging in shenanigans for 40+ years. 

That's probably fair, although I'm pretty young and party politics is only recently on my radar 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's probably fair, although I'm pretty young and party politics is only recently on my radar 

You should probably do some introspection on what your actual beliefs are and not the beliefs that have been fed to you. You say you're worried about "one party gaining too much control," but what you really seem to mean is your worried about the Democratic party gaining any control. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

1 could be a valid structural concern. So far so good. Well, other than the fact that ending the filibuster if the Rs are in control probably didn't bother you, but we'll ignore that for now.

2 is essentially a tautology and therefore ignored (I don't like the DNC because I don't like the DNC)

3 is a joke. At least I assume you're joking. If you're actually bothered by Dem shenanigans given the current behavior of the Republican Party then you're just Team R and there's not actually any depth of thought involved.

You say that #4 is the only reason I voted for Trump, but neglected my first sentence. 

What are your primary policy issues that lead you to vote for Biden? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

The Dems didn't hold the senate in a lameduck year. The GOP does. 

I don't see it that way. I see it as keeping one party from gaining too much control. 

Well, Trump's response to COVID and the unchanged fealty paid to him by 2020 cycle Senate candidates in Maine, Iowa, Arizona, North Carolina, and apparently even fucking Georgia, may boomerang on that idea without an enormous GOP turnout.  This is how you shit out the guts of your party, douse the innards in kerosene, and light it on fire.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SizzleChest said:

Well, Trump's response to COVID and the unchanged fealty paid to him by 2020 cycle Senate candidates in Maine, Iowa, Arizona, North Carolina, and apparently even fucking Georgia, may boomerang on that idea without an enormous GOP turnout.  This is how you shit out the guts of your party, douse the innards in kerosene, and light it on fire.

It'll be interesting to see how much, if any, preference falsification is happening in the polling. If it's a blue wave across the board, then obviously there's not much. 

1 minute ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, why should we try to determine if a Supreme Court Justice is or isn't a morally bankrupt person or investigate whether or not the president is a morally bankrupt person and/or a traitor?

Let's just de-regulate everything, including the vetting of our most powerful people!  Fuck it, just make the stock market go up and cut my taxes!  I mean, I didn't get raped by Brett Kavanaugh or Donald Trump and I can afford to feed MY kids and send them to college.  Who gives a shit about anyone else?  Also, praise Jesus.

Yeah, that's all that happened 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

It'll be interesting to see how much, if any, preference falsification is happening in the polling. If it's a blue wave across the board, then obviously there's not much. 

I listened to this yesterday.  There's some interesting discussion about that topic.

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/john-podhoretz/the-magical-hypnotic-power-of-donald-j-trump/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Yeah, why should we try to determine if a Supreme Court Justice is or isn't a morally bankrupt person or investigate whether or not the president is a morally bankrupt person and/or a traitor?

Let's just de-regulate everything, including the vetting of our most powerful people!  Fuck it, just make the stock market go up and cut my taxes!  I mean, I didn't get raped by Brett Kavanaugh or Donald Trump and I can afford to feed MY kids and send them to college.  Who gives a shit about anyone else?  Also, praise Jesus.

praise white jesus!

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

You say that #4 is the only reason I voted for Trump, but neglected my first sentence. 

What are your primary policy issues that lead you to vote for Biden? 

i mean, we can start with 200K+ dead people because trump doesn't seem to want to to any goddamn old thing to mitigate an extremely contagious virus. the absolute first policy reason to vote for biden is #1 he is not trump.

aside from that, there's a distinct feeling that we must punish those who have supported this orange shitgibbon. i'm reminded of the final paragraph of hunter s thompson's nixon eulogy:

Nixon's spirit will be with us for the rest of our lives -- whether you're me or Bill Clinton or you or Kurt Cobain or Bishop Tutu or Keith Richards or Amy Fisher or Boris Yeltsin's daughter or your fiancee's 16-year-old beer-drunk brother with his braided goatee and his whole life like a thundercloud out in front of him. This is not a generational thing. You don't even have to know who Richard Nixon was to be a victim of his ugly, Nazi spirit.

He has poisoned our water forever. Nixon will be remembered as a classic case of a smart man shitting in his own nest. But he also shit in our nests, and that was the crime that history will burn on his memory like a brand. By disgracing and degrading the Presidency of the United States, by fleeing the White House like a diseased cur, Richard Nixon broke the heart of the American Dream.

you can replace trump for nixon and it has never been more true. trump is a stain on our country that may never wash off. he is the blood on lady macbeth's hands. "out, damned spot! out, I say!  who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him." we may never be able to wash it off. 

i can get into biden's policies that i support later, but the very first thing is that he will not dishonor the office in the same way that trump has.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:
10 minutes ago, Fud said:

i mean, we can start with 200K+ dead people because trump doesn't seem to want to to any goddamn old thing to mitigate an extremely contagious virus. the absolute first policy reason to vote for biden is #1 he is not trump.

I don't think Trump has handled Covid particularly well. I also think a majority of those people would have still died barring a SE Asian type of mitigation policy, which I'm not sure would have flown in the US 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i can get into biden's policies that i support later, but the very first thing is that he will not dishonor the office in the same way that trump has.

Likewise with respect to policies, but the latter part of your sentence: if Biden had been impeached, he would have given sworn testimony and not hid like some bunker bitch.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, JimmyJames said:

That article is complete speculation crap.

Some people do find that interesting. 

It gives how a polling company is trying to weed out potential preference falsification and polling bias, which I think is interesting. Maybe they're off and Trump gets trounced, I don't know. 

Just now, Fud said:

It gives how a polling company is trying to weed out potential preference falsification and polling bias, which I think is interesting. Maybe they're off and Trump gets trounced, I don't know. 

Like Rasmussen, that polling company only exists to put out pro republican polls so as to fight against the reality that they are getting their ass kicked so as not to depress republican voter turnout. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Oh good. Here comes the I’m a reasonable trump supporting troll. Here’s an article for all of us to consider.

The article is about polling analysis, not MAGAMAGA!!.

I think Cahaly / Trafalgar is going to show his ass this year.  His whole model is based on the assumption that people will vote for Trump, but won't tell pollsters they are.  AT A 5-1 CLIP.  That assumption worked in 2016 to some degree.  Trump's the incumbent this time.  Despite his poor favorability ratings over four years as President, Cahaly thinks this effect is even greater this year.  This does not make logical sense to me.  There's too much of a magical thinking element around it this time.

Edited by SizzleChest
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Fud said:

It was fascinating this morning to read the Rivals MB debate thread, which is a conservative echo chamber, and then reading this thread, which seems to be either an anti-Trump or a liberal echo chamber. 

I'm a conservative Trump voter, but I'll keep reading this board to challenge my worldviews on various topics 

Why do you support an immoral, corrupt, failed-businessman?

Do you think he has the intelligence to understand complicated subjects? Do you think he makes rational decisions?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Like Rasmussen, that polling company only exists to put out pro republican polls so as to fight against the reality that they are getting their ass kicked so as not to depress republican voter turnout. 

Sure, but analyzing the 'why it's bullshit' is worth some time and attention.  Even Michael Moore was talking about this effect in 2016, and not many people listened.  This year - bah. IMO.

The article is about polling analysis, not MAGAMAGA!!.

I think Cahaly / Trafalgar is going to show his ass this year.  His whole model is based on the assumption that people will vote for Trump, but won't tell pollsters they are.  AT A 5-1 CLIP.  That assumption worked in 2016 to some degree.  Trump's the incumbent.  Despite his poor favorability ratings over four year as President, Cahaly thinks this effect is even greater this year.  This does not make logical sense to me.  There's too much of a magical thinking element around it this time.

He’s not only going to be wrong but so wrong that he will have to get on Fox News claiming the election was obviously rigged due to 10 million illegals all voting for Biden.

Sure, but analyzing the 'why it's bullshit' is worth some time and attention.  Even Michael Moore was talking about this effect in 2016, and not many people listened.  This year - bah. IMO.

I agreed with Michael moore that Trump could win in 2016 and shouted it from the rooftops, to no effect.

Trump is getting his ass kicked this year.

10 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I agreed with Michael moore that Trump could win in 2016 and shouted it from the rooftops, to no effect.

Trump is getting his ass kicked this year.

Conservative analysts are saying Trafalgar's social desirability bias model is total bullshit this year.

Other pollsters, like Marist (NBC), adjusted their model to account for cultural impacts on voting.  For instance, Marist's research from 2016 and 2018 found that non-college white LVs that live amongst college-educated LVs in surburbs are much more likely to vote for Biden than Trump because of the cultural influence of their community.

Alternatively, where there may be social desirability bias this year is due to COVID.  In particular, folks that are fed up with Trump, but are also very quietly anti-mask. The theory is they won't vote for Biden because they believe he'll implement mask mandates.  Wild shit.

Edited by SizzleChest

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

why do you think the majority of those people would have still died?

we have no fucking plan and we are 7 fucking months into a goddamn quarantine. we have no national plan, the president constantly fucking slags the actual fucking scientists, makes a mockery of people wearing masks, and he actually fucking caught it. we have no fucking state plan, the governor constantly tries to undermine local efforts at leadership. we have a rainy day fund here in texas and we've done nothing, despite the fact that this is the fucking rainy time for which that was desgined. the republicans have done fucking NOTHING on covid. 

we've had one fucking stimulus check of $1200. that's fucking it. no plan like the UK 80% payroll furlough. no protection for front line workers. no protection for people who have lost their jobs. there's been FUCKING NOTHING on a leadership front from anyone with an (R) next to their name. NOTHING.

yes, we would have always had some people die from this - that cannot be helped. but we have 20%+ of the total deaths of this thing, and we have 4% of the world population. that math doesn't fucking square with "well, most of those people would have still died."

this will be trump's legacy. his great shame. people dying, kids in cages, tax cut that destroyed the economy (trickle down my ass), destroying ally relationships, cozying up to dictators, it's all so much bad. i'm trying to understand what it is that you like about this orange shitstain. honestly. he is our shame.

what, uh, he said

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1