Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

It’s crazy how many advantages aggy had the last few years that have disappeared into thin air.  They could tout SEC, active national championship winning head coach, NFL development, and bag game.  Now they can sell losing to Texas, producing few draft picks last year and this year, and playing for a 7-5 Duke head coach, and not having real NiL like Texas does.

4 minutes ago, victory88 said:

not having real NiL like Texas does.

What did ever end up happening with their NIL?  I remember them scrambling after the fact to try to legalize the bags they dropped in 2022, but not a lot since then.  Do they have an actual system setup now where players get paid for media appearances or whatever with contracts only after they are enrolled?

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Elko did a nice job at Duke and as dc at a&m before, but this seems like a weird hail mary to hang on to their beloved 2022 class and keep the best parts of the Jimbo experience still in tact. I can't wait to see what kind of contract he gets and what kind of offensive staff he puts together. 

Maybe jimbo will call in a favor to be OC there for 1.5 million. And still get his annual HC payout. 

it’s not like aggy has the leverage to say no to elko. 

17 minutes ago, Yesh said:

What did ever end up happening with their NIL?  I remember them scrambling after the fact to try to legalize the bags they dropped in 2022, but not a lot since then.  Do they have an actual system setup now where players get paid for media appearances or whatever with contracts only after they are enrolled?

David Bar-B-Q Jumbo Seeds 5.25 Oz – International Snacks Shop & More

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2023 at 10:07 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's comforting knowing how much damage the aggy #1 recruiting class actually did to their program. Destroy from within.

That's all they talk about and care about. It would be sad if it weren't aggy. Who am I kidding? It's pathetic that a single class' rankings scare them to death if they bolt. Good fucking god 

7 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, my semi-actual thoughts on this hire. My thoughts are…Elko’s OK? Which is good, because this was going to be the hire all along until Ross Bjork gave into the intrusive thoughts regarding Mike Stoops. 

There’s no doubt Elko can run a defense, as he’s shown at every stop he’s been at. And he is not a “Chief” type DC on the downswing. He took Duke to 22 PPG in 2022 and this year is second in the ACC at 19 PPG.  

HC chops, you have to give him an incomplete. Objectively, you have to say that anyone who gets Duke to a 9-4 record had a good year coaching. You’d have liked to see them hold or take a step forward this year to feel really good about him.  He walked into a gift with Riley Leonard and you wonder how they’d be if he stayed healthy, Duke does not have a lot of depth. You can stay at Duke a long time at 7-5 and everyone is happy. From what he’s shown, he’s able to put a competitive team on the field, win most of the games he’s supposed to win, but there is a big step up to championship levels that most people don’t make and prior records at mid-tier schools aren’t a predictor.  He hasn’t shown he can do that. 

I do think there is a sense of urgency to keep some of the talent on campus (more later) and so that’s why assistant hires will be key here. It’s a no-brainer to leave Robinson in place if he’ll stay. He can coach the DL, he can recruit, and hopefully Elko taps him as DC with a lot of oversight. After that….a lot of meh. Addazzio needed to be gone last year. Durkin plays a different style and is an awful person. Petrino was a step up from Jimbo calling plays, but Elko needs to change culture and does he want Petrino knocking around Bright? Likely not. 

The biggest issues that Elko faces is that he is walking into a worse situation than Jimbo in 2018. Less money. Lots of recent embarrassment. A toxic locker room culture. And Texas is coming with their dick swinging into the SEC instead of aimlessly floundering in a dying Big 12. Which means that if you want to get things past 8-4, you need to make some moves NOW before the narrative is written in stone. And a big part of that is, yes, keeping as much of the 2022 class around as you can.  He’s fortunate the strength of the team will be on defense.  His immediate job is to hit the portal for offensive linemen that can play now and for someone to fight with Henderson for QB2, and convince Weigman that he’s in better hands than he was with Jimbo. I think Evan Stewart is gone, but there will still be some good WR talent available. 

And then he needs to do a couple things with the 2024 season. First, he’s got to win games on the road, which was Jimbo’s undoing.  No losing stinkers in Starkville or Columbia and ideally you win one of Auburn or Florida. And you can’t lose to Arkansas. The toughest games next season are at home.

Second, he can’t get embarrassed at home. Aside from the cupcakes (no monster like App State looming), we get: Notre Dame, Mizzou, LSU, and Texas at home. We can easily go 0-4 against that slate, and if we do it’s going to be a big hole to climb out of because that means we likely also are taking some bad road losses.  He really needs to get one good win from that group and can’t get blown out in the others. Ideally, he manages to take down Mizzou and one of LSU or Texas and then everyone will forget the growing pains with Notre Dame.  

I am not optimistic that happens. If he manages to get us to 9 wins including a bowl, I think that’s close to the ceiling and will give him some breathing room. But we can just as easily lose all four of those and drop a couple on the road and finish 6-6 and if that happens then he might never get the opening he needs to really build something. 

image.jpeg.5c31ec9921514b9d8f3930390c3f1def.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BigSwingingD said:

@956 Worldwide Rational take. What do you think he does with the offensive staff and how does this effect current recruiting?

Now...prepare your anus!

I don’t think he’ll leave Petrino in place but I have no special insight. His OC at Duke isn’t a guy he has a lot of history with. The issue is, as others have noted— he has less money to throw around. 

I don’t think we are going to see a new HC recruiting bump, some of the mercs Jimbo got to commit will be poached, maybe a few guys on the defensive side will be swayed our way.  He’ll need to hit the portal to fill gaps and try to protect the skill position guys on campus, then hope a decent year next year helps him make headway. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Poster on IT who has connections inside the A&M athletic department said he expects Kirby Moore to be OC

ESPN efficiency ranks as an offensive coordinator

Missouri '23: #11

Fresno State '22: #48

This staff blows. 0 years of experience for their DC (Robinson), 2 years of experience for their OC (Moore), and 2 years of experience for their HC (Elko). 

• Drool 1

People will argue that Sarkisian was a risk due to his lack of success as a head coach but look at the OC and DC hires. 

Sark had a lot of years as an OC (with proven success) and PK had a lot of years as a DC (with proven success). That's how you make a coach like Sark work. If Elko isn't calling plays that OC and DC combination is about as inexperienced as it comes with a head coach that also has little experience. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

ESPN efficiency ranks as an offensive coordinator

Missouri '23: #11

Fresno State '22: #48

This staff blows. 0 years of experience for their DC (Robinson), 2 years of experience for their OC (Moore), and 2 years of experience for their HC (Elko). 

Eh, Mizzou’s offense has looked pretty damn good this season and Moore is calling plays. 

Is Elko not being Santucci with him? It doesn’t really matter because Elko calls the defense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

People will argue that Sarkisian was a risk due to his lack of success as a head coach but look at the OC and DC hires. 

Sark had a lot of years as an OC (with proven success) and PK had a lot of years as a DC (with proven success). That's how you make a coach like Sark work. If Elko isn't calling plays that OC and DC combination is about as inexperienced as it comes with a head coach that also has little experience. 

Sark worked for Pete Carroll and Saban for multiple seasons. He learned at the feet of true masters of their craft. 

The best coach Elko has worked for is Brian Kelly for 1 season. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Eh, Mizzou’s offense has looked pretty damn good this season and Moore is calling plays. 

Is Elko not being Santucci with him? It doesn’t really matter because Elko calls the defense. 

There are much better OC's that aggy could hire and this is a big downgrade from the names mentioned I saw on some aggy boards.

I.e. Denbrock, Ludwig, Grubb, Longo, etc. 

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rumor on the aggy boards is that Robinson is going to be the DC. Also, I wouldn't count on Elko calling plays. 

The Duke reporters have said that Elko was having a difficult time balancing the head coaching duties and being so involved on defense. It sounds like he was going to start delegating the defense to the DC. 

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There are much better OC's that aggy could hire and this is a big downgrade from the names mentioned I saw on some aggy boards.

I.e. Denbrock, Ludwig, Grubb, Longo, etc. 

That's cool that they're mentioning those names but that doesn't mean they can hire any of them. Ludwig never moves despite being attached to high profile roles and Grubb is having his name associated with head coach jobs so why downgrade (plus he turned down Bama last year). Denbrock doesn't have any ties to Elko/Aggy. Of the ones rooted in reality Moore seems like a decent hire with a lot of question marks. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

That's cool that they're mentioning those names but that doesn't mean they can hire any of them. Ludwig never moves despite being attached to high profile roles and Grubb is having his name associated with head coach jobs so why downgrade (plus he turned down Bama last year). Denbrock doesn't have any ties to Elko/Aggy. Of the ones rooted in reality Moore seems like a decent hire with a lot of question marks. 

I don't disagree. Point being that I view Moore as a tier 2 OC hire. 

Elko feels like a tier 2 hire, Moore feels like a tier 2 OC hire, and the question is who calls plays on defense. If it's Elko I would probably consider that a tier 1 DC hire but if it's Robinson I would consider that a tier 3 DC hire. 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, my semi-actual thoughts on this hire. My thoughts are…Elko’s OK? Which is good, because this was going to be the hire all along until Ross Bjork gave into the intrusive thoughts regarding Mike Stoops. 

There’s no doubt Elko can run a defense, as he’s shown at every stop he’s been at. And he is not a “Chief” type DC on the downswing. He took Duke to 22 PPG in 2022 and this year is second in the ACC at 19 PPG.  

HC chops, you have to give him an incomplete. Objectively, you have to say that anyone who gets Duke to a 9-4 record had a good year coaching. You’d have liked to see them hold or take a step forward this year to feel really good about him.  He walked into a gift with Riley Leonard and you wonder how they’d be if he stayed healthy, Duke does not have a lot of depth. You can stay at Duke a long time at 7-5 and everyone is happy. From what he’s shown, he’s able to put a competitive team on the field, win most of the games he’s supposed to win, but there is a big step up to championship levels that most people don’t make and prior records at mid-tier schools aren’t a predictor.  He hasn’t shown he can do that. 

I do think there is a sense of urgency to keep some of the talent on campus (more later) and so that’s why assistant hires will be key here. It’s a no-brainer to leave Robinson in place if he’ll stay. He can coach the DL, he can recruit, and hopefully Elko taps him as DC with a lot of oversight. After that….a lot of meh. Addazzio needed to be gone last year. Durkin plays a different style and is an awful person. Petrino was a step up from Jimbo calling plays, but Elko needs to change culture and does he want Petrino knocking around Bright? Likely not. 

The biggest issues that Elko faces is that he is walking into a worse situation than Jimbo in 2018. Less money. Lots of recent embarrassment. A toxic locker room culture. And Texas is coming with their dick swinging into the SEC instead of aimlessly floundering in a dying Big 12. Which means that if you want to get things past 8-4, you need to make some moves NOW before the narrative is written in stone. And a big part of that is, yes, keeping as much of the 2022 class around as you can.  He’s fortunate the strength of the team will be on defense.  His immediate job is to hit the portal for offensive linemen that can play now and for someone to fight with Henderson for QB2, and convince Weigman that he’s in better hands than he was with Jimbo. I think Evan Stewart is gone, but there will still be some good WR talent available. 

And then he needs to do a couple things with the 2024 season. First, he’s got to win games on the road, which was Jimbo’s undoing.  No losing stinkers in Starkville or Columbia and ideally you win one of Auburn or Florida. And you can’t lose to Arkansas. The toughest games next season are at home.

Second, he can’t get embarrassed at home. Aside from the cupcakes (no monster like App State looming), we get: Notre Dame, Mizzou, LSU, and Texas at home. We can easily go 0-4 against that slate, and if we do it’s going to be a big hole to climb out of because that means we likely also are taking some bad road losses.  He really needs to get one good win from that group and can’t get blown out in the others. Ideally, he manages to take down Mizzou and one of LSU or Texas and then everyone will forget the growing pains with Notre Dame.  

I am not optimistic that happens. If he manages to get us to 9 wins including a bowl, I think that’s close to the ceiling and will give him some breathing room. But we can just as easily lose all four of those and drop a couple on the road and finish 6-6 and if that happens then he might never get the opening he needs to really build something. 

Once again, I truly don't understand why everyone in that school is so intent on keeping a mercenary class that is 12-12 in their careers. It is a bad locker room, 5 stars play like 3 stars when they aren't happy or are unmotivated.