Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

7 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Please, please bring Kevin Johns as OC... His offense relies pretty heavily on the QB run -- straight into the teeth of SEC front 7s... Kevin Johns + A&M's offensive line = 3rd string QB playing by week 6.

Here's some time is a flat circle bullshit - Alan Bowman was Kevin Johns starting QB when he was Kliff's OC at Texas Tech in 2018 before Kliff and the staff was fired.  Alan Bowman, 6 years later is the starting QB at Oklahoma St and will face Texas in the Big 12 title game. 

Flat-circle GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Please, please bring Kevin Johns as OC... His offense relies pretty heavily on the QB run -- straight into the teeth of SEC front 7s... Kevin Johns + A&M's offensive line = 3rd string QB playing by week 6.

Taking Johns with him would be Elko’s first critical mistake. This of course pleases me. 

If they bring Leonard too, Weigman is gone. It could be a nice short term pop but it would set the program back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Taking Johns with him would be Elko’s first critical mistake. This of course pleases me. 

If they bring Leonard too, Weigman is gone. It could be a nice short term pop but it would set the program back. 

Leonard has 3 TDs and 3 INTs this season. Even in blowouts he didn't impress so taking him over Leonard would be a crushing blow to his time at a&m. 

So are we to believe option 4B - Elijah Robinson who was desired by many an aggy (allegedly) to be promoted to HC not just 2 days ago is staying around as the DC and not going to take one of the many open HC positions that are now available?  He just got passed up because he didn't have HC experience. This is his chance to get that.

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So are we to believe option 4B - Elijah Robinson who was desired by many an aggy (allegedly) to be promoted to HC not just 2 days ago is staying around as the DC and not going to take one of the many open HC positions that are now available?  He just got passed up because he didn't have HC experience. This is his chance to get that.

He's not a serious candiate to be a HC by anyone except aggy fan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I understand NIL changed the landscape of recruiting - but I think people are underestimating Jimbo's involvement in recruiting and just how effective that little person could be as a used-car-salesman/closer.  From everything we heard about Elko - he was described as 'competent'.  The best Fong could say, in the middle of his fawning prose, was that Elko will be 'engaged' and 'organized'.  

In a sport built around firing up teenagers for battle, being described like a mediocre accountant isn’t too inspiring. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Putting one trick pony ace recruiters into serious coaching roles worked out so well with Dameyune Craig.

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Here's some time is a flat circle bullshit - Alan Bowman was Kevin Johns starting QB when he was Kliff's OC at Texas Tech in 2018 before Kliff and the staff was fired.  Alan Bowman, 6 years later is the starting QB at Oklahoma St and will face Texas in the Big 12 title game. 

Flat-circle GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Bit of a tangent, but that was coincidentally the last time Tech was ranked. All they had to do was win their opener vs Wyoming this year to break the streak..and they shit the bed in spectacular fashion. It has now been over a decade since they spent two consecutive weeks in the top 25 (Baker Mayfield’s year). Mahomes spent three years there and his team was NEVER ranked. It’s funny considering how much shit they were talking in the offseason, and how they think they are positioned to be the dominant team in the new Big 12. I haven’t done the research, but I’d venture a guess that every other team has reached the top 25 more recently.

46 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

He needs to be a real DC first. At least now he gets to be a fake DC and maybe elko actually helps him grow and he calls the defense eventually. 

1 hour ago, NOOBSDUDE said:

If aggy didn’t go after elko, would he be in the mix for any other coaching vacancies?

As of now it’s a pretty down year for vacancies.  P5 jobs open or opened this season are:

Indiana

Miss State

Sparty

Oregon State

A&M

Duke 

Houston 

‘Cuse

Northwestern 

That’s a thin list. You’d jump from Duke for only Sparty, A&M, MAYBE Miss State when factoring stepping stone and salary.  

8 hours ago, NoName said:

there is literally no question who is going to call plays on defense man. come on. you are smarter than this.

I'm just referencing what the Duke boards were saying about him balancing play-call duties and head coaching duties. They made it sound like Elko calling plays moving forward was far from a guarantee based on too much being on his plate. 

From what I can tell, this doubles his base salary from Duke but places him at 9th highest paid in the SEC. The assistant pool is lower than Jimbo but on the better end for the SEC. 

The economics of CFB at the serious levels are astounding for me, just completely untethered from anything other than what big donors are willing to cough up. You have to wonder when they’ll all decide it’s a racket. 

Same for me with NIL, I cannot understand it. I trend toward “serious fan” but I have a hard time thinking of a less satisfying way to spend any spare coin than making a direct deposit to a college defensive end. 

• Hook 'Em 3

It sounds like Liucci is saying that Elko wants to bring Santucci so he can delegate much more to defensive coaches while he is more focused on the head coaching duties. This is in line with what the Duke reporters were saying midseason (about shifting his focus). 

Elko may call plays but I think that's a pretty big assumption right now. @NoName

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If Elko wins a national championship game -- what he's supposedly being hired to do -- it's worth a $10.5M bonus PLUS an extra year of $7M on his contract.

No, he only gets one of those, but LOL at getting an extra year on his contract if he just makes the 12 team CFP. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

No, he only gets one of those

Are you divining intent? Because I don't see any language limiting how many of the incentives can be achieved per season. What am I missing? (I fully accept your interpretation may be how it's written in the actual contract.)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Are you divining intent? Because I don't see any language limiting how many of the incentives can be achieved per season. What am I missing? (I fully accept your interpretation may be how it's written in the actual contract.)

Texas A&M gots its own law school, durn stupid t-sipper! Don't questions us!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Holy crap if this is true:

Who was A&M competing against for his services to offer this much out of the gate?

You think any coach with self-respect, dignity, and proven ability wants any part of this:

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This should fire up those croots

I don't see Kiffin or Day or anybody wanting any part of that without huge money.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chopper said:

If Elko wins a national championship game -- what he's supposedly being hired to do -- it's worth a $10.5M bonus PLUS an extra year of $7M on his contract.

Surely you only get the highest post-season incentive achieved and don't stack them?

Wellll, aggy though?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1