Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

6 hours ago, Getafix said:

So, now that they've accomplished "premier in-state SEC football program", they're moving on to "premier football program in the country."

image.png.637dfcf0f7c92b3da7d9bd5371646034.png

Can I get a ruling on whether that tweet is talking about it or being about it?

I'm talking just on-field coaching hires. Did aggy hire a single coach that you would want at Texas? 
I think the only maybe here is Sean Spencer and he's far from the upper echelon of DL coaches. 
Until further notice I believe we already have the best. Bama, LSU and others would love to have Bo back rn.

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:
I'm talking just on-field coaching hires. Did aggy hire a single coach that you would want at Texas? 
I think the only maybe here is Sean Spencer and he's far from the upper echelon of DL coaches. 

Until further notice I believe we already have the best. Bama, LSU and others would love to have Bo back rn.

My question isn't really specific to the Texas staff. 

Just if there was an opening position at Texas would you hire anybody on the aggy staff? I think they have a couple maybes (McGriff and Spencer) but I would be pretty meh about those hires. 

At every position, I can name at least 5-8 better options out there. They didn't hire a single top-tier assistant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My question isn't really specific to the Texas staff. 
Just if there was an opening position at Texas would you hire anybody on the aggy staff? I think they have a couple maybes (McGriff and Spencer) but I would be pretty meh about those hires. 
At every position, I can name at least 5-8 better options out there. They didn't hire a single top-tier assistant. 
I can't think of a single coach/assistant I'd straight up trade them for, and that hasn't always been the case. The Elk is just getting whatever he can as quickly as he can...just like Charlie and Tom. Hell, even Sark didn't get it 100% right the first time, but to be fair he was kinda busy until the 3rd week of January '21.

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Hilarious. This is the coach Alabama fans have wanted to fire for 3 years straight. Their WR room has gone to complete shit under Wiggins. 

Sitting SEC receivers coach! Take that sips!

Holy shit this is a weak coaching staff. The one "name" guy they hire is the dude responsible for driving one of the great all time wr rooms in college football straight into a ditch. Torbush  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Sitting SEC receivers coach! Take that sips!

Holy shit this is a weak coaching staff. The one "name" guy they hire is the dude responsible for driving one of the great all time wr rooms in college football straight into a ditch. Torbush  

Somebody sounds jealous!

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

image.png

i think Spencer is considered a very good recruiter from PSU and Florida, and Wiggins has skins on the wall even if they all then transferred or didn't develop. but outside of those 2 there isn't a dynamic recruiter on the staff.

if Texas tried to hire Wesley McGriff, there would be a Mike Stoops level of pushback.

Klein is a huge question mark because of his limited experience outside of the nurturing biosphere that was the Snyder/Klieman circle. either way he isn't currently a ++ recruiter.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

image.png

i think Spencer is considered a very good recruiter from PSU and Florida, and Wiggins has skins on the wall even if they all then transferred or didn't develop. but outside of those 2 there isn't a dynamic recruiter on the staff.

if Texas tried to hire Wesley McGriff, there would be a Mike Stoops level of pushback.

Klein is a huge question mark because of his limited experience outside of the nurturing biosphere that was the Snyder/Klieman circle. either way he isn't currently a ++ recruiter.

Spencer and Wiggins aren't developers, period. 

They might recruit alright but what does that really do if they aren't developed.

32 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Spencer and Wiggins aren't developers, period. 

They might recruit alright but what does that really do if they aren't developed.

yeah, dumbass, i know that. that's why i said specifically mentioned recruiting in the comment you replied to

also, yeah. development is important. thank you for really going far out on that limb.

...you are on the recruiting subforum. if you don't think most of the folks who go out of their way to come here on any kind of a semi consistent basis are not aware of the importance of recruiting talent then developing it you must have suffered amnesia from the last decade or retained nothing from your time on this site and the last one.

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

...you are on the recruiting subforum. if you don't think most of the folks who go out of their way to come here on any kind of a semi consistent basis are not aware of the importance of recruiting talent then developing it you must have suffered amnesia from the last decade or retained nothing from your time on this site and the last one.

Can confirm. He does not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, NoName said:

image.png

What evidence do we have that Wiggins is a good recruiter? I was looking awhile back at the Bama WR classes since 2020 and did not find any group particularly compelling. Saban was willing to let him join Sarkisian's staff in 2021 and then mulled pushing him out after last season. He left this cycle because he needed to do so. Being able to recruit well at Bama, for WR, recently under Saban, should be as easy as running over BO&W on this board. 

If you want to see a great example in a microcosm of what I've been talking about regarding the recruiting rankings and the actual value associated to recent Bama classes, take a look at the WR groups from 2020 forward. The 2021 is the funniest one. There were some really big names in that group and they're all basically dogshit. It reminds me of what Drew Meh was doing under Herman at Texas. 

Holmon Wiggins is ATM's Drew Mehringer. It's pretty awesome.

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What evidence do we have that Wiggins is a good recruiter? I was looking awhile back at the Bama WR classes since 2020 and did not find any group particularly compelling. Saban was willing to let him join Sarkisian's staff in 2021 and then mulled pushing him out after last season. He left this cycle because he needed to do so. Being able to recruit well at Bama, for WR, recently under Saban, should be as easy as running over BO&W on this board. 

If you want to see a great example in a microcosm of what I've been talking about regarding the recruiting rankings and the actual value associated to recent Bama classes, take a look at the WR groups from 2020 forward. The 2021 is the funniest one. There were some really big names in that group and they're all basically dogshit. It reminds me of what Drew Meh was doing under Herman at Texas. 

i thought he was seen as a good recruiter pre Bama under Fuente, then was seen as a + recruiter at Bama, but who knows how much of that was him vs the school. we know he wasn't super strong at development. some of it also was likely because i think he covered Texas regionally for Bama so maybe we just saw him way more and saw him pull in dudes.

i know you can't use the 247 recruit coach/primary/secondary stuff as gold but damn! this is a LOT of misses. idk how much credit he gets for Sayin, he was the one who extended the offer there and was the consistent one when they had their OC change but don't see any quotes from Sayin on him specifically.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7e20dd8ddfc92b46bc1d72108ab9b015.png

i can't imagine him leaving changes anything for Ryan Williams, who couldn't be more clear about where he is going. Auburn for example like 30 miles further away from him, so not like that's a distance thing. very interested to see his quotes on Wiggins leaving for A&M though, assume he says he loves the school and he was closer with the OC and Saban anyway.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4c620f3125fb10aafe47127a165af924.png

if you want to say Wiggins isn't on the same level as Spencer, i will absolutely agree with that. but he's what? at worst the 3rd of 4th best recruiter on that A&M staff? whose a better recruiter on that staff than he is?

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

it makes me laugh every time i think of Drew Mehringer being a coach at Oregon and just getting another extension for another year.

Edited by NoName

There is a difference between being a good recruiter and a good evaluator. If you make bad evaluations, and then are really good at getting those guys in the boat, that is almost worse than being an average recruiter and evaluator. Wiggins was buoyed by transfers like Bond and Burton, and even guys like Jamison Williams earlier. Those guys were largely what they were already walking in the door. They basically just had to learn the playbook and system. 

Edited by Vertigo

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sure he's a bad recruiter, but you also have to credit him with pushing out all of those bad recruits to transfer to clean the room up

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is a difference between being a good recruiter and a good evaluator. If you make bad evaluations, and then are really good at getting those guys in the boat, that is almost worse than being an average recruiter and evaluator. 

This is an interesting conversation in the context of Aeryn Hampton. Wasn't Hampton being recruited to Alabama as a WR and primarily by Wiggins? 

No wonder Alabama keeps losing all these WRs to the portal, Wiggins seems to be terrible at judging talent and character. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I imagine Elko and his staff will be pushing a pencil uphill from the negative recruiting everyone will press on the culture problem at aggy: mass exodus by the players, 4 and 5 star busts, and barely mediocre results on the field.

Jokes on you. Elko won't have to push that pencil. He'll just hold it under his man boobs. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Preston was a 3rd string WR in his 2nd year at Alabama and it's not like it was your normal stacked WR room. 

Is that supposed to get aggy fans excited? 

If Aggies found out their wives were getting railed by a guy from the state of Alabama, they'd be like "I mean, I get it."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Who was the weirdest or most arrogant coach you met during the process and why?

• Probably (Colorado’s) Deion (Sanders). It’s all love though. He goes about it in his own unique way. It’s not arrogance — just cockiness.

• (Rutgers’ Greg Schiano) was too robotic.

• Nobody was really arrogant. (Clemson coach Dabo) Swinney isn’t stuck in his ways but doesn’t really want to change much.

• I’d say coach Saban. My mom wasn’t happy with him. We were at a table eating and he acknowledged me, but not my parents. My mom said, “If you’re acknowledging my son, you should acknowledge me.”

• I didn’t like (Nick) Saban. It was just the vibe.

• (Ex-Texas A&M coach) Jimbo Fisher. I watched him in practice. He yelled and cussed at guys too much.

• Fisher and Saban. Talking to Saban felt like talking to a robot. It didn’t feel real.

https://theathletic.com/5175508/2024/01/03/college-football-recruiting-all-americans-nil-rule-changes/

I thought Jimbo was too lax. Now he's too tough?

1 minute ago, Vermin said:

You can have an undisciplined team and still be an asshole.  The fact that they’re undisciplined means they just ignore you when you’re yelling at them.

29 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Is it bad that the only reason I don't believe this is because it states he got $200,000 at Purdue? No fucking way that happened.

Yeah, that's where I fall too.  Since it was talking about aggy, It was all believable until he dropped the 200k at Purdue last season.  Last season he 15 tackles and 2 sacks.  Ain't nobody paying 200k for that. 

Edited by RabidM