Mattress Firm - Why

Neonmoon

Someone explain to me why there is a mattress firm on every corner in the fucking world. I understand Gas Stations. I understand Starbucks. At what point in life did someone think, man, I really wish there were more mattress stores because I hate driving more than 5 miles when I need to get a new mattress? 

It’s stupid and I hope they all go out of business or burn down 

ps. Is it a known drug front or something?

This industry is a con job.  Margins on mattresses are high...lots of profit.  Most of these different retailers sell the exact same mattress with a different name.  That's why it's difficult to shop for a mattress from store to store.  Industry claims that mattresses can double in weight due to the accumulation of dust mites and dead skin cells are bunk.  Plus, the "replace after 8" is just a marketing spiel created by the industry to get people to replace their mattress sooner than it needs to be replaced, this creating more sales.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stella Link said:

This industry is a con job.  Margins on mattresses are high...lots of profit.  Most of these different retailers sell the exact same mattress with a different name.  That's why it's difficult to shop for a mattress from store to store.  Industry claims that mattresses can double in weight due to the accumulation of dust mites and dead skin cells are bunk.  Plus, the "replace after 8" is just a marketing spiel created by the industry to get people to replace their mattress sooner than it needs to be replaced, this creating more sales.  

I know somebody who will beat your ass and bury you under his mattress scale....don't wear cargo shorts to the fight

Buddy of mine opened an independent mattress shop and paid off his biz loan within 6 months of opening. He does it 'right' in terms of accommodating customers, even allowing them to setup private 'showings' so they aren't bothered by other ppl in the store. Really sharp guy overall and is killing it, refreshing to see a brick/mortar independent retailer make it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Buddy of mine opened an independent mattress shop and paid off his biz loan within 6 months of opening. He does it 'right' in terms of accommodating customers, even allowing them to setup private 'showings' so they aren't bothered by other ppl in the store. Really sharp guy overall and is killing it, refreshing to see a brick/mortar independent retailer make it. 

Your buddy runs a brothel.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Stella Link said:

And the "free removal of old mattress" is another con, as to refurbish the outer cover with a new lining & resale; in some cases as "slightly used"...

3 hours ago, bluto said:

AVYVm_f-thumbnail-100-0.jpg

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

On Anderson, there is a mattress firm across the street from a mattress firm. And another a block away. It’s a bit much 

just read the article. Fuck mattress retailers. 200% markup. 

Bars are worse, although I guess some people spend a third of their life there too...

13 hours ago, bluto said:

Does he also allow testing like this?

17 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Aside from toilet paper being one thing we don’t buy used, nobody is going to buy a used mattress. That’s why new ones are so attractive 

Aside from toilet paper being one thing we don’t buy used, nobody is going to buy a used mattress. That’s why new ones are so attractive 

When I moved from NYC, I posted my used mattress on Craigslist. That was a dirty mattress that enjoyed some great times. I didn’t expect anyone to actually buy it, but figured why the hell not. Sold for $50. Some guy and his friends came and picked up. Watched them walk down the street with that old mattress and kept thinking it was a joke. His buddies had to give him shit for it.

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

When I moved from NYC, I posted my used mattress on Craigslist. That was a dirty mattress that enjoyed some great times. I didn’t expect anyone to actually buy it, but figured why the hell not. Sold for $50. Some guy and his friends came and picked up. Watched them walk down the street with that old mattress and kept thinking it was a joke. His buddies had to give him shit for it.

Well good on you for selling your used goo, unnamed sweat and pubic hairs to another human.