Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

Chip had a blurb on Chris Nelson: 

Fifth-year senior defensive lineman Chris Nelson put to rest — once and for all — any rumors that he might be contemplating transferring.

“I don’t know where that was coming from,” Nelson said. “I had a coach call me up late last year and ask if I was leaving. And I was like, ‘No. I could never do that to my teammates. My pride wouldn’t let me.’”

Nelson missed most of the contact work in spring football with an elbow injury. But Nelson said he’s been working out like crazy to build his strength back up after the injury.

“I just want to get in there and help my teammates the way my man Poons did. and then take over at nose tackle from his former roommate Poona Ford. “I love nose tackle. I’ve been waiting for this.”

During the spring, coaches played sophomore D-lineman Ta'Quon Graham a bunch at nose tackle in Nelson’s absence. But Herman said Graham will move back to the outside and work primarily at end.

“I thought it was good for Ta’Quon to play inside in the spring and get a little calloused up and then move back outside,” Herman said. “And he did a good job.” (Chip Brown)

Yeah, I wonder where that was coming from. FCB.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 6

Reese looks like he's taken advantage of that redshirt season. Looking forward to seeing his play the next few seasons.
Epps needs another off season with Clancy, thankfully it looks like the rooms deep enough that won't be a problem.

And Garrett Graf as GA? Tight ends are gonna ball out this year..lulz.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Shack making the Rimington watch list and Beck making the Mackey watch list shows just how meaningless they are.

If it makes them play like grizzly bears because they think they could win, I'm for it. 

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Rising sitting at the head of the table.  Alpha QB.

Nah, Cam may have just shown up late and that was the last spot available.  Sam looks like the real godfather here.  Arms crossed and all up on that table.  This is his house.

I'm more concerned about Shane be relegated back to the corner seat near the window.  That's literally the worst spot at the table.  Hard to get up to pee, not enough space to eat, and bad location for conversations.  Just turrible. 

IT team notes

SPECULATING ON RED-SHIRTS

The new rules allowing players to hit the field in four games and still maintain red-shirt status will be an absolute a mess to keep track of. Sounds like a job for @Jonathan Wells.

That rule also makes it tough to speculate on who will and won't red-shirt, as does the natural course of a season where injuries mount. A source took a stab at it anyway. 'Yes' means a likely red-shirt in his view.

QB: Cam Rising - yes, Casey Thompson -yes

RB: Keaontay Ingram - no

WR: Brennan Eagles - no, Al'vonte Woodard - yes, Josh Moore - yes

TE: Malcolm Epps - yes (has been playing outside receiver in 7 on 7)

OL: Junior Angilua - yes, Rafiti Ghirmai - yes, Reese Moore - yes, Christian Jones - yes

DL: Daniel Carson - yes, Michael Williams - no, Keondre Coburn - no, Moro Ojomo - no

LB: Joseph Ossai - no, Ayodele Adeoye - no, Byron Hobbs - yes

DB: Anthony Cook - no, Jalen Green - no, D'shawn Jamison - no, Caden Sterns - no, BJ Foster - no, DeMarvion Overshown - yes.

P: Ryan Bujcevski - no

K: Cameron Dicker - no (total guess)

The source struggled on a handful of these, especially because of the new rule. He thinks Coburn might be a candidate to red-shirt. Jamison definitely would have red-shirted if he didn't move to slot. Green isn't nearly as close to being as ready as Cook but he's too athletic to keep off the field.

IMPROVEMENT THROUGH S&C

I'm always fascinated by gains made in Strength & Conditioning but it's sometimes hard to separate fact from fiction if going by media guide height/weight listings.

Pictures help. The one of Josh Moore was a fine exhibit of even a hard-gainer immediately taking to McKnight's S&C program. I hear fellow hard-gainer Kobe Boyce is looking different too.

I asked about freshman Daniel Carson who is listed at 300 pounds. I didn't think there was any way that was accurate but heard back, "if it's off it's not by much. He's not carrying much bad weight either." Carson is still rough around the edges from a skill standpoint but is ahead of schedule from a physical standpoint from being an anchor 4i.

I asked about Cade Brewer being 250. "That's close too. He's carrying it a little all over, even some in his stomach." Clearly adding weight has been a priority. If he's a bit soft he'll lose that in the August sun. He's moving good, not great.

Joseph Ossai is listed at 245. I KNOW that can't be right, which is funny because when I asked my source who has gained muscle Ossai was one of the first to be mentioned. Still, Ossai is about 230-235. That's a good weight for a player who is naturally long and lean.

A couple of older players were mentioned, Kris Boyd and Davante Davis. "When the NFL guys are around Kris looks just like them, better than some actually. Same with Davante. He's about 215 right now."

As far as S&C goes, the staff couldn't be happier with the effort they've received. The team sounds like it's in great shape. I told the source they were in good shape last year. "Last year was great because it was such an improvement. They were in good shape but they're in even better shape now. Everything is run tighter and crisper now that they know what's expected of them and they can keep up with the demands."

Buy-in is going splendidly. The team isn't going to be distracted by what's happening on Twitter.

Remember being a high school rising senior? It was your school now. Those friends and teammates who left for college, often leaving behind neglected girlfriends, were now old news. They were still your friends and all, but since they weren't going to be with you on Friday nights the relationship wasn't the same and you had to re-focus on who was still there.

PUTTING THE ELLIOTT SAGA TO BED

The recent Twitter rant from Baltimore Ravens safety, DeShon Elliott, stems from what he felt like was the coaches speaking poorly of him in his absence. He mentioned the staff was full of BS with their message of love.

"When you want to help people you tell them the truth. When you want to help yourself, you tell them what they want to hear." 

The first sentence characterizes the staff's actions. They gave the early departures their honest opinion on them not being ready for the NFL. Judging by the players who left early slipping in the draft, they were not alone.

The second sentence characterizes the sleazeball runners who find their way to the players. They tell them how great they are, how bad the staff is, and generally massage the player's confirmation bias. Of course this isn't to help the player, it's to enrich themselves.

We hinted that Texas had a problem with these characters last winter. The best way to police this from happening is to make sure players are aware of the pitfalls from chasing money early and for them to understand these agent wannabes don't have their best interest at heart, but the coaches do.

Scipio nailed it in his post about Elliott being a cautionary tale. Elliott has found himself a good example of what not to do. That written, nobody in the program is talking s*** about him that I know of. They told him he was making a mistake by leaving early. They're just telling players, "give us four years and you'll leave with the most earning potential." One could make the case Elliott should be telling his former teammates the same, especially if he loves them.

Now, we're not going to turn this into a bash Elliott thread. He really isn't a bad dude and people should be thankful for his production last year. Personally I hope he kills it in the NFL and this all becomes water under the bridge.