Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I don’t care what he says about the war. He’s got lots of people to blame, and in my mind he’s not one of them. 

His withdrawal execution has been awful. Awful.  

lol, ok. it wasn't perfect, but it was a resounding success. regardless of your opinion, my bet is history will see it that way too

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol. I like how the righties still think they have any credibility in any form of criticisms. Outside of your little fox news bubbles, you have zero credibility. None whatsoever. Go to texags if you want to circle jerk over stupid shit.

damn good point. I should stop engaging them as if it they deserve my time

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Lol. I like how the righties still think they have any credibility in any form of criticisms. Outside of your little fox news bubbles, you have zero credibility. None whatsoever. Go to texags if you want to circle jerk over stupid shit.

I don't agree with this as a blanket statement, but if there's ONE thing that conservatives need to take a few years off from criticizing anyone for, it's fucking normal human decorum and best practices to exhibit sympathy/empathy.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I don't agree with this as a blanket statement, but if there's ONE thing that conservatives need to take a few years off from criticizing anyone for, it's fucking normal human decorum and best practices to exhibit sympathy/empathy.

You're way ahead of yourself. They need to first live in a world of facts and reality. They don't. I stand by my blanket statement. Even if I agree with criticism from anyone on the right, them saying it has zero credibility. If I happen to agree, it is purely coincidental.

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You think he can’t talk to a grieving parent about their child paying the ultimate price?  There was no guarantee Beau was coming back from Iraq.  He understands.

I agreed that equating death at 46 with death at 20 (31) doesn’t follow.

But I also think Joe ought have standing as the father of a veteran. Yet, the very few folks I know with military kids are more frantic than they are forgiving. (Small sample says little). What does resonate with them is the heroic and selfless job their kids do.

26 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Huh? 

Like anti-vax people dying of COVID who request that their obituaries lie about their cause of death, republicans who "don't like Trump" and claim (sometimes falsely) that they didn't vote for him are marks who have been taken and are unable to come to terms with what that means about them. You can't "not like Trump" and continue to be republican without dealing with everything reprehensible that comes with that when Trumpism has replaced republicanism entirely. Ok buddy, it was pneumonia, you are smart and good.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

As the cousin of a kid that died way too early, nephew and grandson of still-living relatives that buried this cousin/my mom, I know what I’m talking about. As being around death many many times, people don’t want their grief minimized, transferred, compared to, or stolen. I didn’t think what I said was controversial and I’m sorry I’ve offended you. 

You didn’t think saying that Biden is using his dead son to score political points was controversial? Yea people don’t like their grief minimizes so why don’t you try not doing that.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I never was, didn’t vote for him or talk to family during October or November of ‘16 and ‘20, and felt guilty for getting vaxxed before some 60 year olds in Feb ‘20. I literally just left the nurse of my general practitioner to see if I could get the booster. My 13 yo daughter has had covid and been vaxxed. I’m trying to get my 11.5 yo son vaxxed early. Nice presumption. 

I'm genuinely glad that you're smart enough to not have fucked around with covid, and do not care about your feelings re: the presumption.

What are the reasons you are republican?

*edit because I'm going to step away and not be able to read/respond*

comment was written off of your statement, but was less about you (I don't know that much specifically about you) and more generally about that kind of statement from still republican supporting people who wish to distance themselves from Trump. They are marks because the GOP fooled them into granting them power based on lies and bullshit. They are huge marks because it is glaringly obvious and they can't take the L and move on.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ok. 

Taxes, and solely taxes. I have little in common with the right wing socially anymore, and from a fiscal standpoint because (selective) fiscal conservatism not only ain’t happening anywhere, but it’s almost an impossibility. 

But I have nothing in common with Dems socially, fiscally, or from a tax standpoint. 

The GOP didn’t fool me, except that I thought electing Trump in the early ‘16 primary was dangerous. I was foolish, I guess, in that in no way could I predict the extent of the havoc he’d wreak. I knew he’d get smoked in ‘20, and was surprised it was as close as it was. I didn’t grant power to him, and I fully concede the party is dead for awhile solely because of him and his idiot followers. So, again, I don’t really understand your point. 

Taxes are interesting. Taxes don’t get cut, they just get off loaded to different people/sectors.

As a lawyer and someone who pays prop tax, I took it in the shorts under Trump’s tax bill.

Edited by Texaspython
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Man, I think a lot of you are going to be really depressed in 2022 and 2024 by just how many Dr. Beeper's there are out there. Voters who held their noses and voted Democrat just as the alternative to Trump. They're already using Afghanistan to ask themselves if the last 4 years were really that bad and will have completely forgotten all the truly heinous shit in 3 years. 

They may not go as far as to reelect Trump if he runs again, but they'll gladly jump on any "more palatable" candidate with an (R) next to his name, no matter how Trumpy that candidate is (and will have to be to win the nomination).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, Texaspython said:

As a lawyer and someone who pays prop tax, I took it in the shorts under Trump’s tax bill.

Yup.  I probably own more house than I should, but as what I assume is  "upper middle class" based on income, I got fucked by Trump's tax changes.  Thanks, Donald.

If reduced corporate taxes rolled downhill to Beeper, he/she should thank lucky stars.

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yup.  I probably own more house than I should, but as what I assume is  "upper middle class" based on income, I got fucked by Trump's tax changes.  Thanks, Donald.

If reduced corporate taxes rolled downhill to Beeper, he/she should thank lucky stars.

Changes to the child tax credit far outweighed impact of capping the property tax deduction, at least in my case. For 2021 the CTC is $3k per kid with phase out kicking in at $400k joint filing. It reverts to $2k in 2022, and I terms in 2025 (reverting to previous rates and phase out?). 

Edited by Anastasis

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Man, I think a lot of you are going to be really depressed in 2022 and 2024 by just how many Dr. Beeper's there are out there. Voters who held their noses and voted Democrat just as the alternative to Trump. They're already using Afghanistan to ask themselves if the last 4 years were really that bad and will have completely forgotten all the truly heinous shit in 3 years. 

They may not go as far as to reelect Trump if he runs again, but they'll gladly jump on any "more palatable" candidate with an (R) next to his name, no matter how Trumpy that candidate is (and will have to be to win the nomination).

maybe so, but for every one of those there are another 5 kids turning 18 (I dunno, I grabbed that number outta my ass). Get 3 out of 5 of them to vote D and this problem goes away pretty quickly

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Why? It's not like the Republican Party is going to moderate itself in the next 14 months.  It's getting worse and crazier. 

Every candidate from school board member to governor will be tied to Donald Trump. 

• Hook 'Em 2

How Biden handled the Afghanistan exit is a matter of opinion. Personally I don't think he had much to do with it at all besides to read some teleprompters. But it's silly to say that everyone agrees that it was a resounding success. That's just not true outside of certain Internet message boards. To wit, WSJ's Editorial Board in February:

653977052_ScreenShot2021-09-01at3_55_16PM.thumb.png.a9fbe755c92ad50aa873fe5a6d1b94d6.png

WSJ's Editorial Board yesterday:

876953069_ScreenShot2021-09-01at3_55_47PM.thumb.png.77db2fed922a8c9a3d4b22a8c07f4d98.png

Hell even Martha Raddatz was getting after Biden on GMA this morning, and that's about as left-friendly a crew as you'll find.

Just now, Js1 said:

Why? It's not like the Republican Party is going to moderate itself in the next 14 months.  It's getting worse and crazier. 

Every candidate from school board member to governor will be tied to Donald Trump. 

Does Dr. Beeper strike you as the type that's going to care how MAGA the next wave of Republican political candidates are going to be? As long as it's not Trump himself, it will take very little effort to convince a lot of anti-Trump voters with "tax concerns" that the Republican candidate isn't that bad and certainly beats voting for another Democrat after 4 years of [insert Biden/liberal grievances here] rule.

The problem with this Kabul stuff is that we really do not know what the final outcome will be.  It is too early to call it a success or a failure.  

If, in the next few weeks/months, we have reports or video of either Americans or Afghan allies being harmed by the Taliban then the pull out is going to continue to hammer Biden.  If, in the next few months/year there are terrorist attacks using US military weapons/machines etc that were left in Kabul then the pull out is going to hammer Biden.  The whole admin is walking a really thin line by coming out the way they are now calling it a success.  There is still a ton of things that can go wrong.  If nothing bad happens then I would agree that the pull out was successful.  

Getting out of Afghanistan is a good thing.  The biggest criticism I have is that the admin has been lying and hoping for a while now and that is just not a way to go about things.  Certainly, this is not only Biden's admin but all of govt.  It is the absolute worst of our political system which prioritizes political ramifications first and foremost, with nothing else really being a close second.

The reason I say this is in regard to the newly released call between Biden and Ghani and the follow up with Sullivan and Milley.  The call was on July 23.  It was brutally obvious to everyone (including Biden, Ghani, Sullivan and Milley) that there was a zero percent chance the Afghan army was going to hold.  Zero.  Ghani told them plus we obviously have intelligence all over the country and can see with our own eyes how there was little to no resistance tot he Taliban.  No one likes a monday morning QB which is why I never commented on this before but with the new information about the call, criticism is well deserved.  Biden et al constantly told the US that the Afghan army was strong and up to the task.  Constantly.  Maybe on some level they actually believed that (I do not personally believe they believed that and I believe they were just using that as political coverage) at one point but after the call with Ghani there was zero doubt.  Immediately after that call there absolutely should have been a change in our approach.  It would take political courage but should have been done (I firmly believe both Bush and Clinton would have done it).  We should have taken the approach that Afghanistan falling to the Taliban was inevitable and acted accordingly.  We should have delayed the troop removal.  We should have talked to all of our NATO allies and told them we were giving up and that the afghan army was useless.  We should have publicly told the world (especially our citizens and allies) that the Taliban was taking over and that we were pulling out completely.  We should have actually increased troops temporarily to get everyone out and, critically, to get all of our military equipment out.  If it took an extra 6 months then so be it.  Our govt would have been much more respected if we handled it that way.  

The equipment being left behind just mystifies me and angers me.  I have heard the tripe that it was for the Afghan military.  That is such complete and total bullshit.  Even Biden agrees that Kabul was going to fall within a few months.  Leaving all that stuff there is disgusting.  Hell, it would have been better if we just blew it all up.  But we had this arbitrary deadline and we weren't gong to deviate from it.  They did the political calculus and just went with it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How Biden handled the Afghanistan exit is a matter of opinion. Personally I don't think he had much to do with it at all besides to read some teleprompters. But it's silly to say that everyone agrees that it was a resounding success.

Can you point to anyone saying this?

On 8/28/2021 at 5:45 PM, Js1 said:

If only the federal government had passed a shit ton of money for rent relief for landlords but red states were refusing to distribute money 

Good call.  The best state so far in distribution is actually Texas.  The  worst are NY, Minnesota, South Carolina and Oregon.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Ok. 

Taxes, and solely taxes. I have little in common with the right wing socially anymore, and from a fiscal standpoint because (selective) fiscal conservatism not only ain’t happening anywhere, but it’s almost an impossibility. 

But I have nothing in common with Dems socially, fiscally, or from a tax standpoint. 

The GOP didn’t fool me, except that I thought electing Trump in the early ‘16 primary was dangerous. I was foolish, I guess, in that in no way could I predict the extent of the havoc he’d wreak. I knew he’d get smoked in ‘20, and was surprised it was as close as it was. I didn’t grant power to him, and I fully concede the party is dead for awhile solely because of him and his idiot followers. So, again, I don’t really understand your point. 

I say this with all due respect, your taxes are too low.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I think it was a success. I think anyone stating otherwise is being disingenuous at best and outright lying at worst. I don’t speak for everyone so not sure what point you seem to think you’re making.

Edited by hobbes2702

1 hour ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Right, again there are people who present exactly as you do on the internet who are still republicans, voted for Trump whether or not they are honest about it, etc.  For those people, when they say "I don't like Trump" as a form of "I'm wearing lava proof shoes" while they dance across their fundamental hypocrisy and lack of morals, they are engaging in self delusion about who they are. For you, if taxes are the only you care about, maybe you are honest about that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

There are plenty of people saying exactly this. Just look back at the previous pages. 

The evacuation itself was a success. Getting 120,000 civilians out of Afghanistan in two weeks is an impressive and historic accomplishment.

It was not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.

Edited by David Dennison

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m the most fiscally conservative person on this board, and there’s nothing “conservative” selectively or otherwise about the 2001, 2003, or 2017 tax cuts, all of which I benefitted from, and all it cost the country was accelerating structural deficits as far as the eye can see. 
so, please- a Republican I can respect. A conservative I can respect. Even honest self-interest I can respect. 
But insane and unsustainable policy choices that strictly exist to transfer wealth from the impoverished majority of the future to the enriched minority of today is nothing if not radical and should be described as such. 

Dr. Beepers will choose to ignore this post.

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I have no reason to lie.  I’d admit it if I did.  I voted in neither of his elections.  I’ve always thought he was a fraud and self-promoter.  He disgusts me.

@aggie08I’m very concerned with MAGA element of the party. I don’t know if they dominate but they are the loudest and most obnoxious. I won’t vote for anyone associated with him or that supported him or his ideals in the past. 

I think I’ve asked this board for information on any such R candidates. I’ll happily vote for those folks in the primary and then against them in the general.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit