COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Or it could force them to do something crazy like come up with an actual distribution plan.  I'm letting everyone I know who is eligible to get the shot at Brookshire Bros to get signed up now. 

I think going to pharmacies in more rural areas is a good angle. 

Do either of your parent's have a history of allergic reactions to vax, drugs, or foods?  If not, they should take whatever is first available imo, esp if they are at high risk. 

Thank you. Dad no. Mother has a shellfish allergy. Maybe that was the issue. I told them to both get proactive about getting on lists and dual trac that with reaching out to allergy doc.

Do either of your parent's have a history of allergic reactions to vax, drugs, or foods?  If not, they should take whatever is first available imo, esp if they are at high risk. 

Thank you. Dad no. Mother has a shellfish allergy. Maybe that was the issue. I told them to both get proactive about getting on lists and dual trac that with reaching out to allergy doc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My concern is that if enough people jump the line, word will eventually get to the media/governor, forcing the vaccine locations to add more bureaucracy around the process which slows it down more.

but let’s face it, following the rules and waiting for your time usually pushes you back further in life. We all know that driving to the front of the traffic jam is the fastest method to get through the traffic jam. 

It is a bit of a moral dilemma. I think of it as when I drive in America I try to be nice and follow the rules, not cut people off etc., when I drive in Mexico you cut-off, honk, just look out for yourself, etc., their streets are lawless. Our federal/state/county governments are akin to Mexican streets right now. If you can get it, get it.  

7 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

It is a bit of a moral dilemma. I think of it as when I drive in America I try to be nice and follow the rules, not cut people off etc., when I drive in Mexico you cut-off, honk, just look out for yourself, etc., their streets are lawless. Our federal/state/county governments are akin to Mexican streets right now. If you can get it, get it.  

No doubt.

but your post and posts like it always make me think of Charlie Steiner

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If one has a long history of respiratory allergies, broke out in hives once on Pen VK, and gets itchy lips eating shit tons of shrimp, but has never been near anaphylaxis, do you think that's a problem?

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

A lot of the pharmacies don't seem to have vaccines yet.   One told my mom the middle of January.

My mother is 1B. When she called HEB and Baylor Scott & White today she was told the same. They are only offering the vaccine to 1A and do not expect to move to 1B for two to three weeks. They are also not putting people on a list of any kind. You just have to keep checking for updates.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Brookshire Bros is your answer.  Some are already giving the vaccine to 1B or will add them to their list if they aren't.  You will have to call a few of their locations that have pharmacies.

LOL, I called Brookshires yesterday and the pharmacist told me they were working in shifts.

12908797.jpg

They were out and had no idea of resupply.

2 hours ago, Lagunamadre said:

I was sent a link think morning that didn't ask anything besides allergies and health insurance/personal info and was able to make an appt about a week from now. I think that link has gone viral and now they are asking that a doctor sent you the link before you can proceed. Looks like they had it open to everybody this morning. 

Thankfully it looks like Methodist fixed the glitch, just got my appt. canceled, now you need a link from your doctor. Glad they are getting their shit together. 

3 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

It's stupid...get it in arms.  Look all these priority levels would make sense if we knew that we were going to get only say 75 million doses in total of the thing in the next year.  What I have seen is that we have secured enough supply promise to vaccinate FULLY 169% of our population in 2021.   

So yea maybe spend a few weeks on healthcare and olds but then it needs to rip....every shot in an arm helps everybody, even those without the shot in the arm because it probably reduces/eliminates transmission (realize this isn't fully vetted yet) but it certainly will reduce load on healthcare system as even younger folks are using that at a healthy clip so that if you do get Covid (or cancer, heart attack, whatever) they are not run through the wall when you arrive.

nice

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Just saw this in the Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/25/health/Covid-moderna-vaccine-allergies.html?surface=home-discovery-vi-prg&fellback=false&req_id=322065185&algo=identity&variant=no-exp&imp_id=59681212&action=click&module=Science Technology&pgtype=Homepage

Boston Doctor Reports Serious Allergic Reaction After Getting Moderna’s Covid Vaccine

A Boston physician said he developed a severe allergic reaction minutes after receiving Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine on Thursday, in the first week of the nationwide rollout for the company’s shots.

The incident on Thursday involved Dr. Hossein Sadrzadeh, a geriatric oncologist at Boston Medical Center, who has a severe shellfish allergy and had an appointment to get the Moderna shot in the afternoon. In an interview, Dr. Sadrzadeh said he experienced a severe reaction almost immediately after he was inoculated, feeling dizzy and with his heart racing.

1 hour ago, Bevo in VA said:

Doctors can be a weird bunch and they are not immune to anxiety and psychosomatic issues. This story smells fishy. Dizziness and tachycardia can occur as anaphylactic reaction symptoms but they’re usually not isolated. We usually see the hives, pale skin and nausea too. This doctor could just as easily had a vagal reaction coupled with some panic reaction.

Edited by Newdoc
Cuz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My parents (mom is technically overweight, dad is a cancer survivor, obese, diabetic) and my aunt (3x cancer survivor, obese) got the moderna vaccine today in Tyler. They went to the Super 1 on the north side of town after signing up with them on Saturday. They called them yesterday night and gave them an appointment today at 1:30 PM.

My FIL who is 65 and has a heart issue got the moderna shot at Harvey Hall in Tyler. My MIL needs to speak with her oncologist at MD Anderson before she can get it as she’s having surgery next week and starting chemo soon after.  Glad he was able to get it. Phase 1B in full action in the home of the Tyler Rose. 

• Hook 'Em 3

UK approved the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine today right? I read somewhere they figured out the dosing to make it as effective as the Pfizer/moderna vaccine.

Also, nurse friend of ours in NC got hers yesterday. Doctor who was our neighbor while going to UTMB (moved to San Antonio for residency as an ER doc) got his first Pfizer shot yesterday. It’s happening. Slowly but surely.

Ascension is turning 1B folks away saying that they're only vaccinating 1A despite having plenty of capacity available. That's a really bad look for the Travis County hospitals when the Harris County hospitals are vaccinating 65+. Someone needs to get on this shit. We don't need to be stockpiling vaccine. Every dose received needs to go into an arm.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

A lot of the pharmacies don't seem to have vaccines yet.   One told my mom the middle of January.

Something like 500+ pharmacy’s will be getting allocation next week. Don’t have details on which ones yet. Just total number. I have a conference call tomorrow and might know more then. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, RPM said:

LOL, I called Brookshires yesterday and the pharmacist told me they were working in shifts.

12908797.jpg

They were out and had no idea of resupply.

Brookeshires and Brookshire Brothers are two different companies. Allegedly it had something to do with one of the Brookshire brothers having an affair with Jack King Jr of King Chevrolet, doooowntown Tyler fame, but that could just be rumor.

Ascension is turning 1B folks away saying that they're only vaccinating 1A despite having plenty of capacity available. That's a really bad look for the Travis County hospitals when the Harris County hospitals are vaccinating 65+. Someone needs to get on this shit. We don't need to be stockpiling vaccine. Every dose received needs to go into an arm.

Most of the Ascension hospitals used all of their first allocation on staff and are waiting on the next batch to cover the rest of staff including EMTs who were the back of the 1A line. I'd be interested where you got this info. It runs opposite of what I'm hearing from very good sources.
  • Like 1

I would assume that any provider with the vaccine knows they need to disperse all of it ASAP. They don't need to hold onto it for the second doses, as they've been assured that the second dose vials will automatically be delivered to them. And hopefully they're not hoarding vials waiting for 1A hold-outs to change their mind. 

Now that doesn't mean 1B (older people with health care conditions) can self-identify as such and show up unannounced. I imagine that in many cases, hospitals have more 1B patients than vaccines doses, so they have to create sub-groups.

I would assume that any provider with the vaccine knows they need to disperse all of it ASAP. They don't need to hold onto it for the second doses, as they've been assured that the second dose vials will automatically be delivered to them. And hopefully they're not hoarding vials waiting for 1A hold-outs to change their mind. 
Now that doesn't mean 1B (older people with health care conditions) can self-identify as such and show up unannounced. I imagine that in many cases, hospitals have more 1B patients than vaccines doses, so they have to create sub-groups.

There are actually sub groups of 1A. Some hospital workers haven't received it because they are back of line 1A. Several of those are still waiting on the next batches to get their turn as part of 1A. I'm not sure if that's a government designation or corporate.

I think it's extraordinarily unlikely that major hospitals in Travis County are sitting on vaccines. Seton is not. St. David's and Baylor almost assuredly are not either. That notion smells of rumor mongering and Twitter Karens run amok.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This thread is incredibly valuable. Thank you everyone for the contributions.

Indeed.  I’ve always found it wild that I typically get the best information, even on medical stuff, from a UT board full of degenerates.  

You’d think there’d be some kind of spirited planning to intelligently apply the vaccine with a centralized way to manage getting on a list..instead it’s a free for all wherein I rely on a bunch of drunken lawyers, the house doctors, and whatever Greenspoint is

• Hook 'Em 2

The stupid is strong in Wisconsin, exhibit 7,245,110

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/532180-wisconsin-hospital-says-employee-intentionally-discarded-coronavirus

The Wisconsin medical center where 57 vials of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine were discarded earlier this week said in a statement Wednesday that the employee who removed the vaccines from the freezer did so “intentionally” and was no longer employed by the hospital.

On Monday, hospital officials said that around 50 vials of the vaccine had to be thrown away after an employee at Advocate Aurora Health medical center in Grafton, Wis., “inadvertently” removed them from the pharmacy refrigerator, where the vaccines are required to be housed at low temperatures.

At the time, the incident was attributed to “human error,” but in a statement Wednesday, the medical center said the vials had been removed intentionally. According to the statement, the 57 vials that had been discarded overnight had led to 500 doses of the vaccine being thrown out.

“We immediately launched an internal review and were led to believe this was caused by inadvertent human error. The individual in question today acknowledged that they intentionally removed the vaccine from refrigeration,”  the hospital said in the statement Wednesday. 

“We are more than disappointed that this individual’s actions will result in a delay of more than 500 people receiving their vaccine. This was a violation of our core values, and the individual is no longer employed by us,” the hospital added.

The hospital stated that the “appropriate authorities” had been notified for investigation into the incident.

Despite the loss of hundreds of vaccines, a spokesperson on Monday told The Hill that the hospital's vaccine rollout plan had not been interrupted, as vaccines had been redirected from other medical center location

According to the most recent data from the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, 47,147 vaccines have been administered in the state so far.

"We continue to believe that vaccination is our way out of the pandemic," the hospital said.

Wisconsin has confirmed more than 5,000 deaths and more than 15,000 cases since the pandemic began, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Called a few places around Dallas listed on the DHS website and they all responded the same way which was....

200.gif

My cardiologist sent an email saying they would vaccinate according to the CDC schedule. When I responded to add me to any available standby list they told me they aren’t actually vaccinating anyone. Wtf. That’s a strange series of communications. Back to relying on H-E-B again.

You can call a vaccination location 5 times and get 5 different answers.  No one is on the same page.  This is a clusterfuck and it's why everyone should do their best to get themselves and their family vaccinated.   We can't rely on the State to do this.

Edited by kevwun