COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

The fucking media seems to latching on to every solitary instance of something going sideways with the covid vaccine. I bet that every year when millions of people get the flu vaccine, some people faint or get an allergic reaction or whatever.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

The fucking media seems to latching on to every solitary instance of something going sideways with the covid vaccine. I bet that every year when millions of people get the flu vaccine, some people faint or get an allergic reaction or whatever.

You are correct.

Read a story yesterday about a nurse in Alaska who “suffered side effects” after her Covid vaccination -  “sore arm & a headache“ for one day. Yet it made a national headline.

Geezuz, those “reporters” should be injected with Clorox to clean up their yellow bullshit.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, XYZ said:

This.  People don't get the concept of statistical relevance.

The COVID vaccine is only problematic if it has "adverse reactions" that deviate materially from reactions to any other vaccine or medical procedure.

It's like citing a fact that "so far, 10 people who have had COVID injections had a car wreck within 24 hours!"  Cool, cool.  Is that in line with the normal rate of car wreck occurrences?  It is?  So, cool - you just demonstrated that people who get the vaccine have the same amount of car wrecks as everyone else.  So, no point whatsoever.

We are the dumbest people, our "press" covers things in the dumbest ways, and if stupidity was immunity, we'd have zero fucking cases of COVID.

• Hook 'Em 1

Virus kills hundreds of thousands and hospitalizes many more.  Segment of population:  99.96% survival rate it’s not that big a deal don’t live scared. 

vaccine for said virus kills nobody, has a couple of instances of adverse reaction that are quickly treated.  Same segment of population:  it’s too dangerous to take!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I think she was speaking to the media at an event promoting the vaccine. Unfortunate timing. 

Anecdotally, know a guy who gave about 300 yesterday. Had one lady with history of asthma pass out and require medical attention briefly. 

• Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I think she was speaking to the media at an event promoting the vaccine. Unfortunate timing. 

Anecdotally, know a guy who gave about 300 yesterday. Had one lady with history of asthma pass out and require medical attention briefly. 

That could be just simple anxiety overcoming a simple mind.

You are correct.
Read a story yesterday about a nurse in Alaska who “suffered side effects” after her Covid vaccination -  “sore arm & a headache“ for one day. Yet it made a national headline.
Geezuz, those “reporters” should be injected with Clorox to clean up their yellow bullshit.
I read the same one and instantly knew it was a click piece. A huge number of people don't bother to read the article and go off the headline. It's completely irresponsible.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Only 4200 of 92000 vaccine doses given over 4 days in Texas. Yeah... they gonna be throwing a lot of it down the drain

Hopefully the data is just lagging reality.  Some unfortunate people have to enter data into a tracking system for each dose given.

Texas allocated 224,500 doses to providers during week one.  So the number of delivered doses should come up to that value pretty soon, and the number of vaccinated should rise to about that number a few days later.

If it does not, something's broken or people aren't getting vaccinated.

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

You must be new to how the media works.

Can we film the operation? Is the head dead yet?
You know the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
Get the widow on the set, we need dirty laundry

Edited by Cheeseweasel

True but this is could almost be considered criminal in its irresponsibility. Freedom of the press should stop when actions likely will cost lives

7 minutes ago, midtown said:
59 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

True but this is could almost be considered criminal in its irresponsibility. Freedom of the press should stop when actions likely will cost lives

Surly grants you authority to perform a citizen's arrest.

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Hopefully the data is just lagging reality.  Some unfortunate people have to enter data into a tracking system for each dose given.

Texas allocated 224,500 doses to providers during week one.  So the number of delivered doses should come up to that value pretty soon, and the number of vaccinated should rise to about that number a few days later.

If it does not, something's broken or people aren't getting vaccinated.

Dell/Seton med school vaccinated 300+ staff the first day, and the dashboard didn’t list any numbers for Travis County at all.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My system has been on top of Covid treatment and testing especially at the local level. But they have beyond effed up the vaccine roll out and we’re about to leave my clinic staff who are bathed in Covid every day out of the first round. Now that they finally gotten their act together, we can sign up but now the vaccine slots are well into next week.

I am beyond pissed when I see pictures of a physical therapist getting the vaccine five days before any of my staff.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

I am beyond pissed when I see pictures of a physical therapist getting the vaccine five days before any of my staff.

Yeah.  That's a pretty big stretch of the "health care" worker role.   

How do you feel about people in the service industry?    Serious question.   Personally I think they should move to the head of the line.  They interact with hundreds and hundreds of people a day and the majority of them are in dire straits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, midtown said:

How do you feel about people in the service industry?    Serious question.   Personally I think they should move to the head of the line.  They interact with hundreds and hundreds of people a day and the majority of them are in dire straits. 

If the interactions are brief and proper hygiene measures are used and then it shouldn’t be too bad of a problem. We just don’t see a ton of spread in restaurants although it is theoretically possible. I would like to see our first responders at the head of the line however. EMTs and firefighters along with police or sometimes thrust into situations where they cannot get proper PPE in place and handle a situation with potentially Covid positive person.EMTs and firefighters along with police or sometimes thrust into situations where they cannot get proper PPE in place and handle a situation with potentially Covid positive person.

• Like 1

"Goodnight, now it's time to go home"
Then he makes it fast with one more thing
  • Haha 1

I got my first dose. I didn’t pass out and so far I haven’t grown a tail. One of the smaller hospitals I work at had some extra doses after some of the nurses declined so I was able to get one. Pretty much 100% of frontline physicians I know are taking the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, XYZ said:

No shit.  This is dumb and totally predictable. But meh clicks!

Feeling pretty flushed with optimism after the second EUA (and maybe more than few long pours from the bourbon stocks), but I think that the mRNA technology has the potential to be the pandemic killer.  Not just the COVID-19 pandemic, but potentially future pandemics as well. If we can establish the safety of the technology generally, through future research applying to influenza and other viral and maybe bacterial infections, with a consistent safety profile, perhaps we can feel comfortable with a blanket approval of the technology no matter what viral/bacteriological protein is being expressed.  If we can get to that point, we have a rapid response laid out. The mRNA technology allows for a very quick move from sequencing of the infectious disease to vaccine production...moving much faster than previous technologies. In this case, it was 25 days from sequencing to first vaccine production. If we can get comfortable with a blanket approval of the process, it is a game changer and may mean that we don't have to live this ever again. Sequence, vax production, initial roll out needs to take no longer than a few months with the infrastructure in place to respond. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Feeling pretty flushed with optimism after the second EUA (and maybe more than few long pours from the bourbon stocks), but I think that the mRNA technology has the potential to be the pandemic killer.  Not just the COVID-19 pandemic, but potentially future pandemics as well. If we can establish the safety of the technology generally, through future research applying to influenza and other viral and maybe bacterial infections, with a consistent safety profile, perhaps we can feel comfortable with a blanket approval of the technology no matter what viral/bacteriological protein is being expressed.  If we can get to that point, we have a rapid response laid out. The mRNA technology allows for a very quick move from sequencing of the infectious disease to vaccine production...moving much faster than previous technologies. In this case, it was 25 days from sequencing to first vaccine production. If we can get comfortable with a blanket approval of the process, it is a game changer and may mean that we don't have to live this ever again. Sequence, vax production, initial roll out needs to take no longer than a few months with the infrastructure in place to respond. 

You still have to make sure that the protein that is expressed doesn't change homeostasis/have deleterious effects. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

You still have to make sure that the protein that is expressed doesn't change homeostasis/have deleterious effects. 

Right, but if we can get there with the tech generally, maybe we can find a streamlined way to get there with the specific protein expression in an expedited fashion.  The mRNA tech reduced the timeline for time from identification to testing significantly.  That has already been demonstrated. Can we find a way to compress further with broader testing of the tech. I think so. Maybe I am just being optimistic, but as far as pandemic killers, this appears to be our best weapon. 

Late to the conversation about the Methodist link from Wednesday, but it’s definitely for employees, and not even all of their employees. Spoke to a family member that works there. She said that they’re hoping to give the vaccine soon (weeks, a month?  depending on supplies and direction from the state govt) for extremely at-risk, current patients.  They will identify who needs to go first and reach out to them.  Don’t call them, they’ll call you.

I don’t think there are any shortcuts here. Even if you are someone who is at-risk for hospitalization if you get covid, there might be higher at-risk patients first.

Sucks that hospitals don’t have enough vaccines to give to everyone yet. Even people that really need it. I assume that most of us will get the vaccine at cvs or Walgreens as they’re the ones preparing for the large crowds.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I was at HEB a few days ago and they already have signs at each checkout that’s says they will be receiving COVID vaccines but they aren’t available yet.

Got a flu shot there a few months ago. Will sign up when it becomes available to me there. If doctors are saying it’s safe, I put my faith in doctors. My family and I will be doing our part.

14 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

I was at HEB a few days ago and they already have signs at each checkout that’s says they will be receiving COVID vaccines but they aren’t available yet.

Got a flu shot there a few months ago. Will sign up when it becomes available to me there. If doctors are saying it’s safe, I put my faith in doctors. My family and I will be doing our part.

100%. Unless you have a known reaction to vaccines, get the vaccine. Or you doc tells you not to for some other reason. Yep, you might have a day or two side effect with the vaccine but this will help everything get back to normal sooner.  

If someone wants to be a pussy about that or scream that Bill Gates is injecting trackers into them, then you give up the right to complain that covid shutdowns and economy problems will last even longer. Because that is what will happen.