COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

43 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My wife got the vaccine a few days ago and it kicked her ass. 2 days of body aches and overall feeling drained. No fever, still has smell/taste, and osat is perfect. I should be getting mine very soon too but definitely need to time it to go along with my weekend off.

well if the first one did that to her.....she ought to really enjoy the second one!

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

100%. Unless you have a known reaction to vaccines, get the vaccine. Or you doc tells you not to for some other reason. Yep, you might have a day or two side effect with the vaccine but this will help everything get back to normal sooner.  

If someone wants to be a pussy about that or scream that Bill Gates is injecting trackers into them, then you give up the right to complain that covid shutdowns and economy problems will last even longer. Because that is what will happen.

It’s not just “trackers”. It’s trackers that work with the 5G cell towers. This is serious shit.

100%. Unless you have a known reaction to vaccines, get the vaccine. Or you doc tells you not to for some other reason. 

I go into immediate anaphylaxis if I have any aspirin containing product. But i am taking the shot. I have no issues with flu or pneumonia vaccines, so fuck the anaphylaxis warning as a reason not to take it. i’ll take my epi-pen to Walgreens.
  • Like 1

My wife started doing PRN work at a local hospital. Within five minutes they had her giving covid vaccinations to all of the hospital staff. She said it was weird having to run from their extreme cold storage to the pharmacy to get it back in the fridge within three minutes. They had someone stationed to close the freezer, hold the elevator and carrying the vaccine. She said they gave about 70 doses yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I guess this video is making the rounds now showing a “fake” injection and advancing the conspiracy theory. Would anyone that has received an injection or administered one care to review and comment on what appears to be an empty syringe being used here?  

if it’s faked just for the presser because of timing after reconstitution, then why bother?  And if they are faking it for the cameras, why not use 0.3 ml of normal saline?

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Texas has allocated vaccine for week two, adding Moderna to the mix:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week2.pdf

The Pfizer vaccine is going almost exclusively to hospitals and the Moderna vaccine is being split up all across Texas at mostly local providers.  It is great that they are getting it to so many places but I wonder how they are going to coordinate the vaccine phases with most sites having such small quantitates.  This seems like a week where a lot of pharmacies and clinics are going to get their first few shots and learn how to distribute the vaccine.

Travis Co is getting 16600 Moderna and 2900 Pfizer doses, compared with about 13600 Pfizer last week.  At this pace, by the end of the year around 5% of residents will have had a first shot and more people will have had a first shot than have tested positive for COVID.

Travis Co needs to receive 40,000 first shot doses per week to get it to everyone over 16 in the first six months of the year.  This is a good start; hopefully the allocation rate can continue to climb over the coming weeks.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So I guess this video is making the rounds now showing a “fake” injection and advancing the conspiracy theory. Would anyone that has received an injection or administered one care to review and comment on what appears to be an empty syringe being used here?  

if it’s faked just for the presser because of timing after reconstitution, then why bother?  And if they are faking it for the cameras, why not use 0.3 ml of normal saline?

I don’t understand this story but they may end up hurting the vaccine effort is they’re faking it for cameras. 

21 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas has allocated vaccine for week two, adding Moderna to the mix:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week2.pdf

I just realized that list does not include about 125,000 Pfizer first shot doses headed to long term care facilities.  Hang in there Grandma, help is on the way!

"CDC confirms 6 cases of severe allergic reaction to Pfizer’s COVID vaccine — out of 272,000 shots given so far"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-pfizer-covid-vaccine-cdc-confirms-six-cases-of-anaphylaxis-20201220-la63j6rhrzfebboauopp6ni2gi-story.html%3foutputType=amp

22 cases of anaphylaxis per million doses seems high. A quick Google search finds a paper that says 1.3 per million is typical for vaccines

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4783279/

Edit - not high enough to stop the rollout, but certainly high enough to add some additional protocols for post shot wait times and equipment requirements (i.e any place giving it probably should have an EpiPen handy)

The lady in Alaska who went into anaphylaxis got an epinephrine shot and the symptoms went away for an hour...then they returned and she was on an epinephrine drip for two days.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef

4 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The lady in Alaska who went into anaphylaxis got an epinephrine shot and the symptoms went away for an hour...then they returned and she was on an epinephrine drip for two days.

I'm thinking that she is going to decline that second dose.

29 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Is there a website that tracks vaccine distribution by country, state and county? Similar to the COVID rate websites?

That would take a coordinated leadership effort at the federal level to correlate all that state data.  So no, there's not one.  

Did you just arrive in 2020 or something?  ;)  

Actually, I think W.H.O. and Pfizer have an internal one for logistics purposes and it's supposed to be public facing by the 1st of the year.  Obviously, they want to remove sensitive information like supply routes and ground transportation details since I'm guessing boosting a truck full of vaccine could probably fetch a fair price on the black market.  But it'll be helpful for public health officials on the ground to see where/when distribution is happening.  

Edited by Lobo

I was extremely active in tracking and projecting the virus in the first 3-4 months, but burned out on it all. Just assumed they would have similar vaccine stats. In some ways that seems easier than tracking cases. We have a limited supply and are following a distribution plan. I’m surprised that isn’t tracked.

Somebody above posted stats for Travis county and I just assumed it was easily accessible.

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

ISomebody above posted stats for Travis county and I just assumed it was easily accessible.

Texas is doing a pretty good job on this, at the dashboard previously linked.  You can click on any county in Texas and it will give you the stats just for that county, or click on nothing and get the stats for Texas as a whole.  Since the vaccine is being distributed almost per-capita to the states, I would expect the the numbers for any state are about the same.  The only variable is how many people choose to get vaccinated.

The data for vaccine distribution is pretty new.  I expect that some of the national aggregators will eventually include that in their websites.  I like to follow Covid Act Now, which shows how things are in each state and county.  They don't have vaccine data now but I bet they will include that in the future.  It will be pretty cool to see the colors start to change on the national map as the number of vaccinations reaches critical mass.

There is a thing called vaccinefinder, but it is not yet available for COVID. Interestingly, I called the city of Austin and they don't think they will have the vaccine until January. This means that it is unlikely that anyone outside of hospital staff will be able to get the vaccine before January. I mentioned that EMS were able to get it at UT this past weekend and the lady sounded surprised and stated that Austin EMS wouldn't be able to get it through the city until January when it gets supplied.

I found a really interesting and accurate vaccine tracing website that dealt with all kinds of shots.  But I became somewhat skeptical when it was hosted on Jenny McCarthy's home server.  Jokes aside, it is just mind blowing to me how many people are not gonna take this thing when it comes around.  Good news is it should make more doses for the rest of us in early Spring.   There's a difference between Black People being skeptical of this because of horrible historical precedents...And fat white people who just want to be difficult and virtue signal how unique they are in God's eyes. 

I think of middle sister and how much she's made out of the shitty hand she was dealt being born with Down's Syndrome in the 1960's in South Texas...not exactly the most advanced place at the time.  1 in 700 American babies are born with Down's Syndrome and they can't help their mental deficiencies.  1 in 3 American adults can help their mental deficiencies and they choose instead, to embrace them.  1/3rd don't want take this vaccine?  Fine, play your shit hand.  Your shit life probably ain't worth living out anyway.  I am proud of my country and state for embracing people with mental disabilities like my wonderful sister.  We no longer hide them in the shadows in shame.  But somehow being born with the normal set of chromosomes and being a completely fucking moronic, selfish pile of shit is now also acceptable.  Did I miss a meeting?  

38 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There is a thing called vaccinefinder, but it is not yet available for COVID. Interestingly, I called the city of Austin and they don't think they will have the vaccine until January. This means that it is unlikely that anyone outside of hospital staff will be able to get the vaccine before January. I mentioned that EMS were able to get it at UT this past weekend and the lady sounded surprised and stated that Austin EMS wouldn't be able to get it through the city until January when it gets supplied.

Our neighbor is one of the folks managing the distribution at UT med -- she said that they had the available doses and started working in EMS because Travis County goofed in the numbers they reported as needing vaccine doses for.  They left out EMS, and maybe something else.  But UT has started vaccinating first responders, too, along with hospital medical personnel.

Phase 1B definitions for Texas are out.  Phase 1B may start "in the coming weeks", but no specific date yet:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine/EVAP-Phase1B.pdf

Ages 65 and over, you're in...

Ages 16-64 can get a shot if you have one of these:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies
  • Solid organ transplantation
  • Obesity and severe obesity (body mass index of 30 kg/m2 or higher)
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Type 2 diabetes mellitus

There is some vague language in the definition that could be interpreted several ways, but that's the basic idea.

About 70% of the deaths so far have been in the 65 and older group, so we may not see cases drop as fast from this allocation but we should see deaths significantly drop.  I would think this will also lower the burden on hospitals faster, but younger groups will still be passing it around.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Phase 1B definitions for Texas are out.  Phase 1B may start "in the coming weeks", but no specific date yet:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease or cardiomyopathies
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease

There is some vague language in the definition that could be interpreted several ways, but that's the basic idea.

About 70% of the deaths so far have been in the 65 and older group, so we may not see cases drop as fast from this allocation but we should see deaths significantly drop.  I would think this will also lower the burden on hospitals faster, but younger groups will still be passing it around.

Soooo 80% of Americans?

That straight up and down BMI calculator is so widespread in Texas.  I mean, that's a man who is 5-10 and 210 pounds, that's half the guys in Texas.  Or a woman who is 5-4, 170 pounds.  I'm all for them getting protected, especially if they are over 55-65 age range.  But that seems like that's basically every last vaccine vial that the pharma corps can make for the next 90 days+.  It just seems like there's a really specific list of people and conditions that number a few hundred thousands in Texas and then there's this BMI population that's like 15 million people just in Texas.  

Edited by Lobo

Good question.  We've got about 25 million in Texas over the age of 16 (that 1B protocol calls for people 16-64 if you have one of those other conditions).  Again, I ain't gonna break down all those others, but just the BMI piece.  25 million (census says more like 23 but let's just be honest and put politics aside, there's 2 million adults in Texas here that are uncounted, probably more---I don't care about that).  Most estimates from a cursory look at legit tracking organizations is 35-40 of the adult population (16-64 in this case).  That's 9-10mm, so yeah...forget my 15mm.  Let's call it 10 though for round numbers.  You have probably 2 million with one of those co-morbidities, and then a whopping 10 million meeting the 30BMI index threshold.  That's just a huge step up.  And that doesn't include the obese over 65.  Convservatively speaking, you've got 15 million Texans who are either over 65 or obese. 

We're gonna need a bigger tray. 

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease

Interesting that they have added the pregnancy category. They can't have more than a small number of incidental pregnancies during the trials. Unless there are other high risk factors involved (e.g., healthcare worker), that would be a pass in the first wave imo. 

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That straight up and down BMI calculator is so widespread in Texas.  I mean, that's a man who is 5-10 and 210 pounds, that's half the guys in Texas.  Or a woman who is 5-4, 170 pounds.  I'm all for them getting protected, especially if they are over 55-65 age range.  But that seems like that's basically every last vaccine vial that the pharma corps can make for the next 90 days+.  It just seems like there's a really specific list of people and conditions that number a few hundred thousands in Texas and then there's this BMI population that's like 15 million people just in Texas.  

Yeah, seems they need a bit more granularity to the phases or they are going to have supply issues and miss some of the most at risk. 

• All states and territories had more than 20% of adults with obesity.
  • 20% to less than 25% of adults had obesity in 1 state (Colorado) and the District of Columbia.
  • 25% to less than 30% of adults had obesity in 13 states.
  • 30% to less than 35% of adults had obesity in 23 states, Guam, and Puerto Rico.
  • 35% or more adults had obesity in 12 states (Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia).
  • The Midwest (33.9%) and South (33.3%) had the highest prevalence of obesity, followed by the Northeast (29.0%), and the West (27.4%).

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/downloads/data/obesity-maps/2019-overall-obesity-prevalence-map-508.pdf

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Interesting that they have added the pregnancy category. They can't have more than a small number of incidental pregnancies during the trials. Unless there are other high risk factors involved (e.g., healthcare worker), that would be a pass in the first wave imo. 

Yeah, I'm not even sure that the vaccine is approved for pregnant women under the emergency use authorization.

Edited by Texas Jeff

Yeah, my wife is pregnant, so we've been kinda paying attention to that. They aren't recommending the vaccine for pregnant women last we'd heard. She will be passing until there is further data. I'm an essential worker, so I should be in phase 2 I think, but if they are basically giving it to everyone then it may be a while before I can get mine.

Got my round one shot yesterday.

I feel crappy today, but I'm sure that's totally unrelated to coming off of a week of working the night shift and celebrating accordingly with a little too much whisky.

Currently waiting to develop autism, lockjaw, and night vision.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Damor said:
I feel crappy today, but I'm sure that's totally unrelated to coming off of a week of working the night shift and celebrating accordingly with a little too much whisky.

If you’re lucky Jenny McCarthy may tweet at you if you catch the autism.

Edited by Hate
  • Haha 2

Definitely need your dip tet too!!
  • Haha 1

SIAP, but thought this was a big deal:

Pfizer, U.S. Reach Deal to Boost Covid-19 Vaccine Supply

The federal government has reached a deal with Pfizer Inc. PFE -1.71% to secure 100 million more doses of the company’s Covid-19 vaccine, an agreement that will bolster the vaccination campaign under way in the U.S., Pfizer and its German partner, BioNTech SE, said Wednesday.

Under the terms of the deal, Pfizer will provide an additional 70 million doses by the end of June, with 30 million to follow by the end of July, the companies said. Pfizer and BioNTech will receive $1.95 billion for the additional doses, consistent with the pricing for the initial supply of the vaccine.

Edited by LurkingHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1