COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The same people on my social media that have been saying don’t live scared of a virus with a “99.95% survival rate” for the past 8 months are now the same ones saying they won’t get the vaccine. 

it’s all I can do to not engage their idiocy. Damn it’s frustrating. 

I wonder if those same fearless morons got the flu vaccine, MMR, polio, HepB, HPV, or varicella vaccines?  If they did, were they worried about dying from any of those?

• Hook 'Em 1

The same people on my social media that have been saying don’t live scared of a virus with a “99.95% survival rate” for the past 8 months are now the same ones saying they won’t get the vaccine. 

Yeah, my aunt and uncle are in Houston right now living out of their fifth wheel while my uncle gets chemo at MDA. They made the right call to skip Thanksgiving (we did as well) and are generally careful from what I can tell. I texted her about Methodist giving out vaccines and her response was "Not ready to be a test subject yet.  😂"

Some folks I just don't understand.

The people that are stupid and saying they will not get the vaccine, for what ever moronic reason, are the same people that listen and believe in all the conspiracy theories out there. My ex-wife told my daughter not to get it because the government manufactured the disease. They will track us with the vaccine because it has "neurotransmitters" in it and they will track us with 5G technology (I am NOT making that shit up! I couldn't even wrap my head around that one! She is a member of the Trump cult and a Parler member. And yes she is getting professional help...) I have heard that people say that this is nothing but a "fancy flu". I agree with @Heme Doc

Also Trump is to blame for all of the misinformation/mismanagement IMO. His followers will listen to anything the Messiah says whether it is true or not. 

21 minutes ago, Heme Doc said:

I wonder if those same fearless morons got the flu vaccine, MMR, polio, HepB, HPV, or varicella vaccines?  If they did, were they worried about dying from any of those?

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, my aunt and uncle are in Houston right now living out of their fifth wheel while my uncle gets chemo at MDA. They made the right call to skip Thanksgiving (we did as well) and are generally careful from what I can tell. I texted her about Methodist giving out vaccines and her response was "Not ready to be a test subject yet.  😂"

Some folks I just don't understand.

I agree!  My argument to people like that is, "would you rather be a 'test subject' or dead?" My father is in a nursing home and I told him that he IS going to get the vaccine. No debate just pull up your sleeve. 

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Get off Facebook. It’s the devil. Seriously 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

tenor.gif

You have to be incredibly stupid or dishonest to equivocate a refusal to get the Covid vaccine with things like obesity or alcohol use or smoking. Those things are typically legitimate addictions. Being an anti-vax flat earth hillbilly isn't an addiction. It's just being a selfish moron.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, WillUSAF said:

The people that are stupid and saying they will not get the vaccine, for what ever moronic reason, are the same people that listen and believe in all the conspiracy theories out there. My ex-wife told my daughter not to get it because the government manufactured the disease. They will track us with the vaccine because it has "neurotransmitters" in it and they will track us with 5G technology (I am NOT making that shit up! I couldn't even wrap my head around that one! She is a member of the Trump cult and a Parler member. And yes she is getting professional help...) I have heard that people say that this is nothing but a "fancy flu". I agree with @Heme Doc

Also Trump is to blame for all of the misinformation/mismanagement IMO. His followers will listen to anything the Messiah says whether it is true or not. 

What gets me is the Trumpsters don't listen to the Messiah saying he would get the vaccine in due time as well.  If it doesn't fit their narrative, they don't listen.  You can't fix stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted this on the other thread, but thought that this was a good place as well.

If you are in an early wave of vax administration, consider enrolling in the VSAFE system.  It is a smartphone app to track for safety signals and one of the only surveillance tools in place for early wave roll out.  

https://vsafe.cdc.gov/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html

V-safe is a smartphone-based tool that uses text messaging and web surveys to provide personalized health check-ins after you receive a COVID-19 vaccination. Through v-safe, you can quickly tell CDC if you have any side effects after getting the COVID-19 vaccine. Depending on your answers, someone from CDC may call to check on you and get more information. And v-safe will remind you to get your second COVID-19 vaccine dose if you need one.

Your participation in CDC’s v–safe makes a difference — it helps keep COVID-19 vaccines safe.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 hours ago, kevwun said:

How do you go about scheduling your second shot through that since this could be a onetime deal?  I signed  myself and the wife up just in case, but gonna need more info before we actually show up for it.

I'd be interested in knowing how your appt. went.  I called one of the employee health locations that had appts. available tomorrow and the lady I spoke with didn't know anything about it.

It's not until Sunday and I am leaning towards not going.  I called the number on the website also and it was all automated recordings.  I expect Methodist threw that together in a hurry and didn't include a way to verify employment or make sure it stayed internal.  The link leaked out and all hell broke loose for them.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yep, each dose is 3ml.  Pfizer slightly overfills each vial to make sure 5 doses can be drawn out of it and that means it's actually possible to get 6 or 7 doses if they're careful.

Well I read on FB that is they can't get the amount in the vial correct how do we know they got the vaccine correct.  

Picard Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Well I read on FB that is they can't get the amount in the vial correct how do we know they got the vaccine correct.  
200.gif

This is what I am seeing on Facebook. I’m afraid the number of people that actually get vaccinated is going to be substantially lower than expected.

09fe2c563802dcacbedf255010b674f7.jpg
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Posted this on the other thread, but thought that this was a good place as well.

If you are in an early wave of vax administration, consider enrolling in the VSAFE system.  It is a smartphone app to track for safety signals and one of the only surveillance tools in place for early wave roll out.  

https://vsafe.cdc.gov/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/vsafe.html

V-safe is a smartphone-based tool that uses text messaging and web surveys to provide personalized health check-ins after you receive a COVID-19 vaccination. Through v-safe, you can quickly tell CDC if you have any side effects after getting the COVID-19 vaccine. Depending on your answers, someone from CDC may call to check on you and get more information. And v-safe will remind you to get your second COVID-19 vaccine dose if you need one.

Your participation in CDC’s v–safe makes a difference — it helps keep COVID-19 vaccines safe.

Question:  Is there any data on potential impact of taking vaccine if you're infected but pre-symptomatic?  Is it like TamiFlu where it might prevent symptoms or mitigate the impact of the virus?  (which is what I would hope would be the case)

Edited by DDD Dad

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's not until Sunday and I am leaning towards not going.  I called the number on the website also and it was all automated recordings.  I expect Methodist threw that together in a hurry and didn't include a way to verify employment or make sure it stayed internal.  The link leaked out and all hell broke loose for them.

My Father-in-law called and got an automated message saying it's for employees only.  Makes more sense.

3 minutes ago, Parliament said:

They say that even after getting your 2nd shot you still gotta mask up and follow the rules. I'm not questioning it, and I'll definitely do it, but I'm wondering why. Why do I gotta take precautions against a disease I am now 95% unlikely to get?

Would you prefer being told to wear a mask constantly, and convincing people that you have been vaccinated?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

What gets me is the Trumpsters don't listen to the Messiah saying he would get the vaccine in due time as well.  If it doesn't fit their narrative, they don't listen.  You can't fix stupid.

If you think it is all the trumpsters that are the flat earth antivaxers, then you are sadly mistaken in a partisan CR way. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

If you think it is all the trumpsters that are the flat earth antivaxers, then you are sadly mistaken in a partisan CR way. 

Oh I know.  I was just pointing out one extreme and not the other.  Like you alluded to in the last post, far right or far left have their reasons to be anti COVID vax.

I believe the thinking is that they don't know if the vaccine prevents you from being an asymptomatic carrier yet.  So the vaccinated should still wear a mask until we know more.
If you read the fda Pfizer brief you will see that this is completely the case. It looks like the vaccine keeps you from getting covid-19 but may or may not prevent you from getting corona virus and transmitting it. So until we have a vaccine available to everyone who wants it social distancing and masks are needed. My hope in theory is that all the anti vaxers get covid and die once everyone has a choice.
  • Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Ok then, after we get the Pfizer shots and all is well, would we be able to get another brand of vaccine shots that would definitely prevent us (as carriers) from spreading the virus?

It's undetermined whether the PFE or MRNA vaccines also sterilize people. It is likely, in my opinion but not established via the data.  I recall seeing something in one of the MRNA tables that suggested things looks good, but cant find the table at the moment.

Long story short.  Get the shot, continue common sense measures regarding hand washing and mask wearing. Wait for more data. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It's undetermined whether the PFE or MRNA vaccines also sterilize people. It is likely, in my opinion but not established via the data.  I recall seeing something in one of the MRNA tables that suggested things looks good, but cant find the table at the moment.

Long story short.  Get the shot, continue common sense measures regarding hand washing and mask wearing. Wait for more data. 

Quoting because good post.  I think you're likely right, but this remains the right path.

24 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Take this out of the hand of bureaucrats and I fucking guarantee you that we would be able to model delivery both more effectively and more equitably.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Quoting because good post.  I think you're likely right, but this remains the right path.

It was the Moderna data

Everyone got swabbed when they came back for their second shot.

At that time, there were 14 asymptomatic infections in the vaccine group and 38 in the placebo group.  That’s very encouraging, (an almost 3x reduction), especially since patients only had one dose at that check.  

I haven’t seen Pfizer data on this, but can confirm from personal experience that they did nasal swabs with both first and second vaccine injections.  Hopefully that data will be just as good. 

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

We intend to maintain the protocols of masking & sanitizing, but will obviously resume some family interactions and meeting with our happy hour group by summertime, provided everyone has been vaccinated. Foreign travel (England) may be in the offing too, provided it is safe & practical.

• Like 1