COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

EMS or fire? Where did pyou go to get vaccinated? I think we are pretty good now but I have a lot of National Guard patients, special needs patients, and first responders and I’ve gotten most but none of the special needs patients with underlying conditions due to Downs etc. vaccinated.

27 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas week 5 is out:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/news/updates/COVIDVaccineAllocation-Week5.pdf

First page shows the "large vaccination hubs" across the state.

Austin Public Heath, which had previously received a total of 1000 doses, gets 12,000 this week.  Hopefully they are ready...

So basically if you were anyone other than APH or DSHS and expecting a shot in Travis County, you are shit out of luck...

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

EMS or fire? Where did pyou go to get vaccinated? I think we are pretty good now but I have a lot of National Guard patients, special needs patients, and first responders and I’ve gotten most but none of the special needs patients with underlying conditions due to Downs etc. vaccinated.

The County where I live setup a special vaccine day for our first responders.  Not sure if that is a common thing or not.

The idea behind the hubs is that they are supposed to set up public vaccination centers in exchange for receiving large quantities.  We will see how that goes.  I am willing to give them a chance to attempt that.  It seems like Austin Public Health could find city or school sites to set up 2-4 vaccination centers and some central way of registering for an appointment.  Even two centers, working 7 days a week, would only be giving 900 shots a day.  I saw a site in Hildalgo Co that was in a really bad looking facility that was handling that kind of volume.

If they get good at that, they have a pathway to open up more centers as more vax is available.  If they can't do that or if it gets too political, well that sucks for Austin's leadership.  It is a chance for our local government to shine or fail, for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Contact phone numbers and websites for the hubs:

https://www.dshs.state.tx.us/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine-hubs.aspx

Not all of them are ready to roll, but if you are looking for more info that is where to go...

What I realized is that Houston Dallas and San Antonio have already been doing website online appointments and vaccinations while Austin, Williamson and Travis county have their thumbs up their assess. Why am I not surprised. The three STILL don’t have website name capture for scheduling appointments later. 

I registered last week with the county health department since my job puts me in a top tier category. Got an e-mail today saying I was approved and to register for a time tomorrow. By the time I logged in all times were taken, but should be able to get my first vaccine as soon as they open more slots. Hopefully this week sometime. 

Wife had an appointment with her OB-GYN Friday (20 or so weeks pregnant) and her doc had taken the second dose Wednesday and said she had to cancel her clinic for the first time ever the next day. She also recommended the wife get a vax even though she is pregnant. Said most of her patients who got it while pregnant had mild cases, but one had it when she went into labor and ended up having to have an emergency C-section and ended up having to have a hysterectomy as well.

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

OK vaccine hunters, you have a new tool to play with.  Texas now has this map showing all vaccine providers with quantities in stock as of a few days ago:

https://tdem.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=3700a84845c5470cb0dc3ddace5c376b

You may have to play with the controls on the upper right side to get the data to show up, particularly Facility Type.  You should see a bunch of red and blue dots.  The red dots are out of vax and the blue dots might have some in stock.  Clicking on a dot gives you a website link and a phone number.  You can also see when that site was last updated.

I'll warn you that it's still really hard to find vax.  Most of the links were to places that did not have any kind of sign up sheet.  But it's a start.  It does tell you who does NOT have the vax so you can stop looking there.  Kudos to Texas DSHS for getting this online.

• Hook 'Em 4

21 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Texas week 5 is out:

Austin Public Heath, which had previously received a total of 1000 doses, gets 12,000 this week.  Hopefully they are ready...

I found at least one mistake in that spreadsheet, and it was the only one I looked at.   For DeWitt county, there is no "UT Health Henderson Hospital", and there is no town called "Henderson" in that county.  DeWitt gonna get screwed this week.

I wonder how many more mistakes are in that spreadsheet?

Edited by Shaggybevo

18 minutes ago, midtown said:

My sister is administering vaccinations.  She called me and said yesterday they had to throw out 6 doses.  Today they are at a different spot and she said she will call me if they have extra vs letting them go to waste.   Fingers crossed

These guys need to put somebody out on the closest intersection spinning a big "Free Vax Here" sign before they start throwing shit away.

tenor.gif?itemid=3463182

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

These guys need to put somebody out on the closest intersection spinning a big "Free Vax Here" sign before they start throwing shit away.

Anything.  Have people call friends and family regardless of status.  Your daughter is a waitress?  Call her.  Son is a plumber.  Call him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Shocking I know but the numbers are fucky.  Small county but I imagine the bigger ones just mask oddities in the data.

County: Cottle
Public Health Region: 2/3    
Number of People Vaccinated
with at least One Dose: 1,167
Number of People Fully Vaccinated : 107
Estimated Population
(16 years of age and older): 1,120

3 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

I found at least one mistake in that spreadsheet, and it was the only one I looked at.   For DeWitt county, there is no "UT Health Henderson Hospital", and there is no town called "Henderson" in that county.  DeWitt gonna get screwed this week.

I wonder how many more mistakes are in that spreadsheet?

Looks like it is in Rusk Co.  DeWitt folks need to drive up there and get their vax!

On 1/10/2021 at 12:37 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Texas week 5 is out:

This is weird to me.  Three hubs in Harris County.  HCPC - 8000 doses.  All Moderna.  Houston Dept. Health  - 8000 doses.  All Moderna.  Methodist - 10,725 dozes.  All Pfizer.  Do HCPC and Heath Dept not think their freezers are cold enough?

My family (5 adults) has appts with Methodist week after next.  So I guess we're doing Pfizer.  Wonder if we care?  Been worried that second Pfizer dose will be a bit harder to come by.  

Based on Abbott's press conference today in Arlington, the state has their hands tied behind their back with the amount of vaccines the State gets by OWS.  OWS made it sound like they would be sending out vaccines on a daily basis to states.  While that may be true, it's beyond frustrating that it just seems like a slow trickle when the state just doesn't have the infrastructure set up to administer these.

Honestly, I'm happy with the vaccine hubs that are being set up in the state.  However, more of these are needed.  But there's no point in setting up these hubs if we don't have the vaccine to administer.  It all goes back to a supply issue.

15 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Based on Abbott's press conference today in Arlington, the state has their hands tied behind their back with the amount of vaccines the State gets by OWS.  OWS made it sound like they would be sending out vaccines on a daily basis to states.  While that may be true, it's beyond frustrating that it just seems like a slow trickle when the state just doesn't have the infrastructure set up to administer these.

Honestly, I'm happy with the vaccine hubs that are being set up in the state.  However, more of these are needed.  But there's no point in setting up these hubs if we don't have the vaccine to administer.  It all goes back to a supply issue.

Have there been any reports about when supply should really ramp up?  Seems like this is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck for a while.  Eventually supply will be increased and then they will have to pivot again at the local level to figure out how to administer the additional supply.  Also, have we seen any data indicating how much immediately supply JNJ has ready if/when they receive approval in February (and/or how quickly they can ramp up).   Considering the JNJ is only 1 dose, it could be a game changer once added to the arsenal if equally as effective.

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Have there been any reports about when supply should really ramp up?  Seems like this is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck for a while.  Eventually supply will be increased and then they will have to pivot again at the local level to figure out how to administer the additional supply.  Also, have we seen any data indicating how much immediately supply JNJ has ready if/when they receive approval in February (and/or how quickly they can ramp up).   Considering the JNJ is only 1 dose, it could be a game changer once added to the arsenal if equally as effective.

Not that I have seen regarding when supply should ramp up.  There's also the Oxford/Astrazeneca vaccine that should be coming soon (after JNJ).  Pisses me off that we're not getting that one until April (theorists say it's due to it being so damn cheap and no companies making a real profit on it).  No CR here but Trump put some high ranking board member from Moderna on the OWS panel back in May/June of 2020.

I feel like this thing is going to be kicked in to overdrive in two weeks.

23 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Right now I think it's a "last mile" issue.  Today, Texas has been allocated 2.0 million doses and has had about 1.56 million doses shipped, but has only put 800,000 doses in arms.  It does look like weekly allocations are now trailing injections, so eventually we will run out of doses.

But right now the bottleneck is local distribution.  That is something that Texas can work on and get right, so that when and if the supply ramps up we have the capability to push it out.  If Texas does it right, then the bottleneck will be the manufacturing of the vaccine.  If it is, then our local and state governments are set up to push out what they do receive.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Right now I think it's a "last mile" issue.  Today, Texas has been allocated 2.0 million doses and has had about 1.56 million doses shipped, but has only put 800,000 doses in arms.  It does look like weekly allocations are now trailing injections, so eventually we will run out of doses.

But right now the bottleneck is local distribution.  That is something that Texas can work on and get right, so that when and if the supply ramps up we have the capability to push it out.  If Texas does it right, then the bottleneck will be the manufacturing of the vaccine.  If it is, then our local and state governments are set up to push out what they do receive.

if they have 1.56 shipped but 800K of the first ones in arms are some of the balance being held for second dose?

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

if they have 1.56 shipped but 800K of the first ones in arms are some of the balance being held for second dose?

I don't think so.  Every dose shipped comes with a promise from Operation Warp Speed of a 2nd dose shipped to the same site either 3 (Pfizer) or 4 (Moderna) weeks later.

Right now, according to the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Texas has been allocated 1.8 million "first shot" doses through the end of this week.  1.5 million "first shots" were allocated through the week that just ended and should have arrived at their destinations by now.

"Second shots" just started delivery last week, and only for Pfizer.  Even if second shots are in the total and zero second shots were used, it does not make up for the balance.

There are, of course, data delays between when shots are received and when they are reported as being used.  Some of the diff is due to that, I suspect.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whole bunch of slots opened up this morning at the Alamo dome through SAs website.
Guess I should have kept checking.  Ill try in the mornings this week.
Not sure if it matters but I just checked my confirmation text and I got them signed up around 12:45pm.
My guess is it'll be a weekly thing, so if it's full tomorrow, I'd bet Mondays are the days that they open the week's sign up

On 1/10/2021 at 2:47 PM, Dbeasy said:

What I realized is that Houston Dallas and San Antonio have already been doing website online appointments and vaccinations while Austin, Williamson and Travis county have their thumbs up their assess. Why am I not surprised. The three STILL don’t have website name capture for scheduling appointments later. 

You may be stunned to learn that even Amarillo and Lubbock have been on top of this and giving well organized vaccines in droves at civic centers, with online appointment scheduling, and extremely efficient execution.   We Austin slags are fucked, but we're the assholes who put these people in charge.

You may be stunned to learn that even Amarillo and Lubbock have been on top of this and giving well organized vaccines in droves at civic centers, with online appointment scheduling, and extremely efficient execution.   We Austin slags are fucked, but we're the assholes who put these people in charge.
Gotta give credit where credit is due. The good people of Austin saw the error in their ways and rectified it by electing a disaster scientist to the city council.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2

Got my second round on Sunday afternoon.  With the first, I had mild but noticeable injection site soreness for a few days, but nothing else.  No real soreness with the second, but definitely felt lousy (fatigue, subjective fevers, muscle/body aches, mild chills).  Slept it off for about 14 hours (part of that was flipping my schedule over to nights, though), and pretty much back to normal now.  While it wasn't pleasant, it was encouraging to have a noticeable immune response, and certainly reinforced that I'd much rather have minor effects with immunization than take chances with the real deal.

Sounds like it's hard to predict, but I definitely think it's smart to make plans for being down for a day or so after the second dose, especially if you have to pass temperature/symptom screening for work.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DCA_HORN said:
14 hours ago, Samson said:

Gotta give credit where credit is due. The good people of Austin saw the error in their ways and rectified it by electing a disaster scientist to the city council.

True.  She should have everything running smoothly in no time.

Johnson & Johnson Getting Close

Speaking at an industry conference on Monday, Johnson & Johnson (ticker: JNJ) CEO Alex Gorsky said that the company is in the “final stages” of analyzing the data from its 45,000-patient Phase 3 trial of the single-dose version of its vaccine. Bloomberg also reported on Monday that the study would be ready to submit to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization on Jan. 21, citing a report in a South African newspaper.

Edited by LurkingHorn

9 hours ago, Damor said:

Got my second round on Sunday afternoon.  With the first, I had mild but noticeable injection site soreness for a few days, but nothing else.  No real soreness with the second, but definitely felt lousy (fatigue, subjective fevers, muscle/body aches, mild chills).  Slept it off for about 14 hours (part of that was flipping my schedule over to nights, though), and pretty much back to normal now.  While it wasn't pleasant, it was encouraging to have a noticeable immune response, and certainly reinforced that I'd much rather have minor effects with immunization than take chances with the real deal.

Sounds like it's hard to predict, but I definitely think it's smart to make plans for being down for a day or so after the second dose, especially if you have to pass temperature/symptom screening for work.

Sounds like you had pretty much the same experience as I did. 

18 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

My in-laws drove all the way from Abilene to Amarillo to get the shot.  Saw that they had 800 available at a mass vaccine event and signed up at the first chance. They were ~100 in line and were vaccinated by mid-morning.  

Given the scarcity, it pays to have a little hustle.  Effort seems to be rewarded in this case.

• Hook 'Em 2