COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

My mom (81) who lives in FL finally got an appointment for her first dose next week. She has been shut in, living alone at home, since March.

She says my brother (an IT guy) had to hack into hospital website to get the appt. Fucking ridiculous.

I expect I will probably get the chance for a vaccine some time in August.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They have.  In Tyler of all places.  I am getting my first shot tomorrow. I am a 1a. 

They're doing drive-thru in Tyler?  I'd heard about that clinic doing it, but I didn't realize it was drive-thru. Good on them.  Enjoy!

Edited by dcbc

You think it is bad here, France says hold my wine. This would be embarrassing. I would hope BBC had a reporting error. 

The first vaccines were restricted to elderly care home residents, and required a signed consent form and a doctor's consultation before they could be administered.

But the government has faced a storm of criticism after it emerged that only 500 people had been vaccinated in the first week of the roll-out, compared to 200,000 in Germany.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-europe-55547518

2 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Well, fuck 'em.  My family will happily step up and take them.  Everyone I know in healthcare (which is a sizable amount of folks) has had the first vaccine shot.  Who are these health workers that are balking?

Its in the article, but appears nursing homes are the worst.

4 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Well, fuck 'em.  My family will happily step up and take them.  Everyone I know in healthcare (which is a sizable amount of folks) has had the first vaccine shot.  Who are these health workers that are balking?

nurse Karen.....there are plenty

• Like 1

Up to 589K with first shots in across Texas.  Looking at counties who have administered 10K or more doses and on percentage basis looks like Randall County (Amarillo area) leading the way with close to 10% of 16+ pop with a dose in the arm.  Most of the big counties are somewhere ~2 to 2.5%.  El Paso doing better work at a little under 5%

I'm sure data still laggy but it's what we got.  

2 hours ago, Hpara759 said:

nurse Karen.....there are plenty

Yes, they have been in the interwebs and FB and now have just enough knowledge to be stupid. I have a few in my own clinic and of course some of them came down with Covid in the last week.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atmoblue-clean-air-for-all#/

youre welcome

also, looks like the majority of people are having 24-48 hrs of fatigue, weakness, chills, and myaglias after the second shot. Should be fun

Yes pretty much everyone says the second one sucks balls. Like having the flu for a day or so. 

7 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Is it possible that vast majority of health care workers have already had covid, so the risk vs reward calculus is leading many of them to opt out of vaccination?

I'm excited to get vaccinated whenever I can because so far my family has been lucky. If we'd already had it, I'd probably be in the wait and see camp too.

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Is it possible that vast majority of health care workers have already had covid, so the risk vs reward calculus is leading many of them to opt out of vaccination?

I'm excited to get vaccinated whenever I can because so far my family has been lucky. If we'd already had it, I'd probably be in the wait and see camp too.

I've been hearing second hand anecdotal reports from ED nurses that had covid.  When they were vaccinated apparently some fairly significant reactivity, 3-4 days of flu like symptoms after first dose.  Anyone seeing/hearing similar?  

55 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I've been hearing second hand anecdotal reports from ED nurses that had covid.  When they were vaccinated apparently some fairly significant reactivity, 3-4 days of flu like symptoms after first dose.  Anyone seeing/hearing similar?  

My sister has had both Pfizer doses and had zero complications/issues. Felt completely fine. Couple of her coworkers did feel a little under the weather for a couple of days but nothing major. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Got my 2nd Pfizer dose right after lunch. I had some facial flushing around 6 this evening and some mild chills. Right now have dry itchy eyes and a bit of a scratchy throat. I took some Advil earlier and plan on redosing frequently. I read about 1/3 have flu-like symptoms after the 2nd dose hopefully only a day or two 

Nothing with first injection except a day or deltoid soreness. 

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Wife got her shot today. Went smoothly. 

on another rage note, she spoke to a seton doctor and they said they had to throw out hundreds of doses because they didn’t have enough people to take the shot during phase 1A. 

complete failure in rollout. 

I received an email from Seton Northwest that the vaccine is only for "front-line caregivers".   If indeed many medical staff are refusing to take the vaccine, it's understandable that they would have to throw out hundreds of doses.  Email below...

"COVID-19 Vaccine Update from Ascension Medical Group. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the first groups eligible to receive the vaccines are front-line caregivers. It will become available more widely to our patients and the general public in the months ahead. We will text and email you as updates become available. We are also providing ongoing updates, including frequently asked questions, on our website. Please continue to take precautions, and do not delay care or appointments. We’re ready to provide the care you need, while maintaining strict precautions to keep you safe in our care. "

• Hook 'Em 1

Received this email from Austin Regional Clinic (ARC):

Thank you for your patience as we wait for additional vaccine supplies. In the forty years that we have cared for the community, ARC has never experienced a vaccination effort of this magnitude and urgency. We understand and share our patients’ and the community’s wishes to distribute available vaccine quickly and effectively.

As of January 7, ARC has already vaccinated 7,000 healthcare workers, first responders, and high-risk patients. We receive limited allocations of vaccine from the state. Right now, as doses arrive, we are reaching out to our highest-risk patients. Given vaccine availability, we expect it will take more than several weeks to vaccinate those with the greatest need, so we ask for your patience as we work through the priority list.
Here are five key points we would like you to know:
  1. ARC patients, who have seen us anytime in the last three years, do not have to call us to book a vaccination appointment because we have your information in our electronic medical record. We will contact you via MyChart, email, text, or phone call when we have available doses.
  2. It will likely take more than several weeks to fully distribute vaccinations to even our highest-risk patients in group 1B.
  3. You may have to drive to a location other than your usual clinic as we offer large-scale vaccination clinics. At these clinics we can vaccinate more people at one time.
  4. We are seeing increasing rates of COVID-19 and urge everyone to continue to wear masks, social distance, practice hand hygiene, and avoid crowds.
  5. Many of your vaccine questions can be answered at ARCcovid.com, and you can send us new ones at ARCcontact.com.
The combination of patients seeking care and the demand for the vaccine has overloaded our phones and digital channels, creating longer hold times than usual and slowing down our web site. We are expanding our load capacity to handle the increased digital traffic so we can continue to offer digital solutions. You can help us by referring to our website for updates, so we can keep our phones available for those with immediate medical needs.

We thank you for your patience and wish you good health.

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yes.  Similar.  Reactions seem to be more pronounced if you’ve already had COVID

• Hook 'Em 1

Dallas announced mass vax facilities at Fair Park and Ellis Field House (notably souf Dallas) in anticipation of of the vax being "opened" to 1B recipients next week.

No clarity on obtaining a "reservation" or establishing 1B status.

Also, the link to register at Dallas County HHS is less than clearly marked.  Says it in red text, but isn't clearly a link.

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=rc-tUfFynEeyj1JBLgQBS27MxRuhoUxLlfv_l-XuFzdUQldDQUIxMzlKV0FIMlRTSlVUUURVUVlXSi4u&wdLOR=c49299A6F-A592-CC4C-9739-3FE42E328E1E

Edited by TwiceHorn

is the first shot purposefully not as bad because they want to make sure people come back for the second?
It's 100% the exact same. I just assume that your body does some overdrive to reaction to the second dose. Like it's pissed off that it has to deal with it again
  • Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, midtown said:
1 hour ago, dcar00 said:
is the first shot purposefully not as bad because they want to make sure people come back for the second?

It's 100% the exact same. I just assume that your body does some overdrive to reaction to the second dose. Like it's pissed off that it has to deal with it again

Admittedly knowing nothing about the science it sounds like your first dose sort of "conditions" your immune response and the second dose "hardens" it.  Kind of like training for the marathon sort of sucks but the marathon itself REALLY sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I took a look at vaccination percentage by Texas county today.  What the heck is going on in Cottle County (mostly Paducah, south of Childress)?

Cottle Co leads the state with an 81% first-shot immunization rate!  Hemphill Co is in second place around 12%.  Oddly, no vaccine has been allocated to Cottle Co.

Cottle Co is hard hit by COVID, currently 19th in the state according to COVID Act Now.  It will be interesting to watch the stats over the next few weeks to see if the vaccine does its job in this county.

Travis Co, BTW, is currently in 86th place among Texas counties for first-shot percentage.  Behind San Antonio and at half the rate of Lubbock.

10 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I took a look at vaccination percentage by Texas county today.  What the heck is going on in Cottle County (mostly Paducah, south of Childress)?

Cottle Co leads the state with an 81% first-shot immunization rate!  Hemphill Co is in second place around 12%.  Oddly, no vaccine has been allocated to Cottle Co.

Cottle Co is hard hit by COVID, currently 19th in the state according to COVID Act Now.  It will be interesting to watch the stats over the next few weeks to see if the vaccine does its job in this county.

Travis Co, BTW, is currently in 86th place among Texas counties for first-shot percentage.  Behind San Antonio and at half the rate of Lubbock.

I looked.  Says Cottle County has 1120 16+ individuals.  Says 1065 fit the 1A or 1B definition. 452 are over 65 1B.  That's a fucking old ass county.

Edited by Surly Bevo

5 hours ago, midtown said:

SA is doing a mass vaccination at the Alamodome starting Monday.  Registration opened at 9am.  Already closed.  Its like trying to get tickets to a heavy metal show. 

I had tickets for monster jam for the 23rd before they cancelled it.

Hopefully instead of a refund, they are offering an exchange for a vaccine appt.

• Like 1

Early results for Pfizer show a 1 in 90,000 rate of anaphylaxis, most having a previous history of allergic reactions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/more-allergic-reactions-covid-vaccine-reported-overall-remain-rare-n1253007

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/29-covid-vaccine-recipients-had-serious-allergic-reactions-cdc/

I can't find the link, but read yesterday that their had been 308 hospitalizations out of 4.8 million, so a rate of 1 in 15,000, and 1157 'serious reactions' (1 in 4,000).  2 permanent disabilities (for you journalism majors, that's a 1 in 2.4 million rate).

I guess too early to know if it steals your babymaking abilities....

Edited by clapclapclap

2nd dose Pfizer for me. Some muscle aches and along with chills.  Jumped in a very hot shower to stop shaking about 12 hours after the vaccination. Weird experience almost like shaking from a hangover even though I haven’t had a drop in weeks. The first dose only gave me pain at the injection site.

My unscientific background makes me think that minor reactions are good. My body is reacting to thinking it’s being attacked by covid.

Anyway 0 regrets of getting the vaccine. I’m counting down the days until I’m as immune to the symptoms as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

2nd dose Pfizer for me. Some muscle aches and along with chills.  Jumped in a very hot shower to stop shaking about 12 hours after the vaccination. Weird experience almost like shaking from a hangover even though I haven’t had a drop in weeks. The first dose only gave me pain at the injection site.

My unscientific background makes me think that minor reactions are good. My body is reacting to thinking it’s being attacked by covid.

Anyway 0 regrets of getting the vaccine. I’m counting down the days until I’m as immune to the symptoms as possible.

Do you treat COVID patients?

23 hours ago, Heme Doc said:

Yes.  Similar.  Reactions seem to be more pronounced if you’ve already had COVID

Same thing happened to someone I know who had Covid a few weeks before getting the vaccine.  He felt pretty terrible the first night after getting the vaccine.  So far he's the only person I know who had bad symptoms from it.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was lucky to get the vaccine the other day.  Pfizer. No big deal. For the flu vaccine I normally get slight pain at the injection site for a day. Let’s call it a pain level of 1, very mild discomfort. For the Pfizer vaccine, the pain at the injection site was a 2 if I pressed on it, and it lasted 2 days. No other side effect. Summary: not quite as easy as the flu vaccine but very happy I went thru with it.

I’m looking forward to shot 2 in little over 2 weeks from now. 

So, just curious how you were able to get the vaccine before so many medical personnel and before it was available to the general public and then get a second dose 2 weeks before schedule. Were you in a clinical trial?

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

So, just curious how you were able to get the vaccine before so many medical personnel and before it was available to the general public and then get a second dose 2 weeks before schedule. Were you in a clinical trial?

I fell under 1A, and I may have had the second dose a few days early.