Markets still falling like whoa

On 4/16/2023 at 3:56 PM, StassneyHorn said:

There’s no recession. Rates are normal. You gave your kids shitty financial advice, they will rent and like it. Uptick starts now.

After earnings tho

Some of you should’ve payed attention. It’s a constant game of catch-up-to-Stassney-he’s-always-right with some of you.

On 6/7/2023 at 7:48 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I look up and my 401k is like 2022 never happened. 

That's interesting, i just looked mine up and im down 6.9% wrt balance at end of dec '21 v balance after yesterday's close.  Ive stayed in the same funds and contributed the maximum allowable by IRS all along.  Im in Small Cap Index, LG Cap Value index, Total Mkt Index and Large cap growth index.  All with Fidelity.  Id be curious if you changed your investments or added contribution amounts, as I feel decent about things, but am still down 6.9% before today is factored in.

7 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's called buying on sale.

perhaps pre-sale is more accurate? Feb 2020 was just before the march covid crash that was bailed out by the massive infusion of dollars that helped create the inflationary environment we’re finally emerging from. Ultra low vix right now suggests to me that the inflows are dominated by passive investors. As we all know, most of that money goes into a handful of companies. This is not an efficient market

Edited by B00M

5 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Markets rising like whoa!

MSFT up to an all-time high at $345 today. Market cap currently close to $2.6 trillion.

AAPL also at an all-time high of $185, inching them even closer to becoming the first $3T company (currently $2.91T).

I read that as "ALPP" and thought:

Yeah...Fuck Yeah! GIF - Today Show Yes Yeah - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 3

Aaaaaand now Apple is a 3 Trillion dollar market cap company. A larger market cap than the GDP of France.  3/4 of Germany.

I’m long Apple and have never considered selling any.  Purely psychologically I am now.

Would probably be a mistake.  Conflicted

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Aaaaaand now Apple is a 3 Trillion dollar market cap company. A larger market cap than the GDP of France.  3/4 of Germany.

I’m long Apple and have never considered selling any.  Purely psychologically I am now.

Would probably be a mistake.  Conflicted

Don’t sell. I’ve been long AAPL for over 25 years. They have too much cash and will continue to create some of the most innovative products in the world. Wait until they get really serious about health care and transportation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hey look - for once I didn't fuck up the market, took a flyer yesterday just before close and bought some next day SPY calls.
kinda humblebrag, kinda surprised it worked - now I'm thinking about buying some puts for Monday (or Wednesday) because getting it right once makes me think I've got this market thing all figured out. What could possibly go wrong?

image.png.4a24d84b1ebfd9504db74d88b80b604a.png

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/30/2023 at 2:41 PM, Wally Fairway said:

now I'm thinking about buying some puts for Monday (or Wednesday) because getting it right once makes me think I've got this market thing all figured out. What could possibly go wrong?

So I went all in and bought 20 SPY puts that expire 7/5 expiry, overall cost of these was $330. Strikes are $439 and$439
Wheee!!!

58 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

i also owned SPY 443P that expired yesterday.  SPY closed at 443.14.  Now trading at 439.xx :sadpanda:

Now 437.65, and my 439 would be ITM and my 436's could get there as well - that's why the day/short term game is really just gambling, it is a fun game. So you have to celebrate the wins and don't look back at the losses (and realize that my $350 bet that was worth $0 yesterday would be worth about $2,000 today)

6 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Remember when everyone was in a tizzy arguing the pedantry case whether we're in a recession or a bear market?

pepperidge farms remember.

Pictured: BofA, JPM, and Morgan Stanley CIO's out there every morning keeping up their imminent recession calls, trying to conjure up a market correction.

7xiey.jpg?a469104

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

All 3 indexes are at their highest levels since early 2022 and have made some rather solid gains the past 52 weeks. 

DJIA +3895 (12.5%).

S&P +714 (18.65%).

Nasdaq +2915 (25.7%).

I was told that it's all a house of cards, the Fed will kill us all, inflation is secretly 18%, the only reason the market goes up is due to brrrrrt.