• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

They didn’t want to be there. It was obvious as ever. Otherwise it would have been a 4-OT loss. But I’m serious, they did not want to be there. I don’t know why we care. Who gives a fuck. 

That’s complete fucking horseshit. Their players were flying to the ball all fucking day. We just punched em in the fucking mouth. On Bourbon the night before, every Georgia fan I talked to said they’re gonna crush us. They’re gonna make a statement about how they should be in the playoffs then we came out and pounded em 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

I remember a bunch UGA players either sat out the bowl game or crushed Bourbon St the night before. Lil Jordan Humphrey had a field day on those hungover mf'ers.

Their top DB sat out, which seemed to be the only player of any impact to the game. A single DB is not going to change the outcome of that game. And if they were all out on Bourbon the night before then they are just a bunch of dumb mother fuckers. 

Who gives a fuck? That was a long time ago. I'm more concerned about today where we are looking to hire a coach who needs to be able to recruit against UGA, Clemson, tOSU, LSU, agge, OU, Alabama, and Tech, TCU, and Baylor. Good luck with this bunch of choices.

Weird other bit of info from the Howe/Babers podcast.  In each of Urban Meyer's last three stops he left the DC from the previous regime in place.

At Utah he kept Whittingham

At Florida he kept Strong

At Ohio St. he kept interim HC and former DC Fickell.

It might serve the next HC well to keep Ash as DC.  Unless they can bring in a Muschamp or Odom - Ash is probably the best option for DC.

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Weird other bit of info from the Howe/Babers podcast.  In each of Urban Meyer's last three stops he left the DC from the previous regime in place.

At Utah he kept Whittingham

At Florida he kept Strong

At Ohio St. he kept interim HC and former DC Fickell.

It might serve the next HC well to keep Ash as DC.  Unless they can bring in a Muschamp or Odom - Ash is probably the best option for DC.

I agree, maybe upgrade an assistant or two. Helps reduce buy out and improves continuity for recruiting and coaching as well.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

That shit happens all the time. It shouldn’t offend us. Georgia wasn’t good enough to get hit in the mouth and come back. We were a talented team that was coached terribly in the first game and end of season. The talent level was very close. 

But absolutely Georgia did not prepare for that game like they wanted to beat Texas. They did not prepare like they cared. They played uninspired. We kicked the shit out of them (score doesn’t indicate the manhandling it was). But don’t act like they were pumped to be there. Because they weren’t. 

How the fuck do you know how Georgia prepared? I was there. Georgia players were flying all over the field going balls to the wall. They viewed it as a statement game and they got punched and the mouth and folded like they have for 40 years now. Christ, dude. For all that’s good in Christ please don’t post on the baseball board this spring. Me and the rest of the UT baseball posters won’t miss your idiocy 

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know how they prepared, but it’s anecdotal. I don’t KNOW that they “didn’t want to be there”. Nobody will ever know that. But it’s human nature given what they experienced the year before. Based on what I know combined with the lackluster matchup with a 9-4 team combined with their effort leads me to my conclusion. In fact everyone other than Horn fans thinks they didn’t care as much as they should have. 

Again, it doesn’t matter.  We kicked the shit out of them and that’s all that will be remembered. 

Well, their linebackers were flying to the ball with their dline trying their hardest to open lanes for the linebackers to fill. We shut down Swift and Holyfield and we shut down their passing game. Watch the fuckin game again. Georgia was pumped and ready to go

Bobby this morning 

For those of you wanting resolution sooner rather than later when it comes to the head coaching situation at the University of Texas, I have some straight-forward news for you.

“Nothing is happening any time soon,” a high-ranking University of Texas official texted me yesterday. For context, “soon” means subsequent to both the early national signing period and the various conference championship games.

But the idea that nothing is happening soon publicly is quite different from what is actually occurring behind closed doors

The wheels remain in motion behind the scenes to vet possible replacements for Tom Herman, who has had mixed success as Longhorns’ head coach.

As we reported previously, over the last month, key university personnel, regents and donors had united in their pursuit of Urban Meyer, the three-time national champion. Considered the only “sure thing” available prior to the end of the college football and NFL season, Meyer has to this point rebuffed the Horns’ overtures.

Vetting of potential replacements continues behind the scenes, as does the idea of once again trying to unify the university’s group of power brokers and decision makers into the pursuit of a few select candidates.

The unity behind the pursuit of Meyer was a welcome change to what typically occurs in a Texas football coaching search, where various factions have their favorites.

But Texas officials want that same sort of unanimity on whoever they turn their focus to next. Stakeholders are being consulted and listened to.

Virtual unanimity may ultimately be impossible. In fact, I think it is.

However, the idea of a comprehensive and careful vetting of multiple highly qualified candidates is a welcome change to what I have seen happen during other searches.

For that, a few people deserve some credit, and that includes multiple members of the Texas board of regents, led by chair Kevin Eltife, school president Jay Hartzell and athletic director Chris Del Conte.

I feel like Texas is in good hands with the group and its approach to the task. Of course, we’ve yet to see the results of their efforts and the proof will always be in the pudding.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, Snacks said:

I want Sterlin Gilbert back as OC.  

Traylor, Gilbert, Ash.

Babers, Gilbert, Ash

idgaf

(Which probably means Mattox, but if that's what it takes, then it takes that.)

Sterlin Gilbert since he left Texas with oFEI ranking:

• 17, OC @ USF: 34
  • 18, OC @ USF: 92
  • 19, HC @ McNeese - not in FEI, they are FCS
  • 20, OC @ Syracuse: 114

I don't think Gilbert and his version of the Veer & Shoot is an answer

edit: Mattox was with Strong / Gilbert at USF in 17 and 29, then with Gilbert @ McNeese St and then this year jumped to UTSA with Traylor

Edited by NoName

Sterlin Gilbert since he left Texas with oFEI ranking:
  • 17, OC @ USF: 34
  • 18, OC @ USF: 92
  • 19, HC @ McNeese - not in FEI, they are FCS
  • 20, OC @ Syracuse: 114
I don't think Gilbert and his version of the Veer & Shoot is an answer
None of those schools had or have players at all.

I'll take what he did here and prior as his most likely outcomes.

USF, McNeese, Syracuse... Name an offensive player.

We know Texas HS players will play well in that system... I doubt upstate NY basketball journalists will.
  • Haha 1

Just now, NoName said:

if Sean Payton didn't leave for the Cowboys job he isn't going to College. making like $10m / year now

has been in the NFL since 97 - doubt he wants to jump back to college and even if he does he JUST signed that big deal last year

Exactly. Sean isn't leaving the NFL. Not gonna happen. 

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

CAE20767-7C1E-4DFE-ACF8-B505526C8526.jpeg

if Sean Payton didn't leave for the Cowboys job he isn't going to College. making like $10m / year now

has been in the NFL since 97 - doubt he wants to jump back to college and even if he does he JUST signed that big deal last year

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby this morning 

As we reported previously, over the last month, key university personnel, regents and donors had united in their pursuit of Urban Meyer, the three-time national champion. Considered the only “sure thing” available prior to the end of the college football and NFL season, Meyer has to this point rebuffed the Horns’ overtures.

So, you're saying there is a chance?

Seriously though - sounds like this has turned into a good old-fashioned coaching search.  Background checks, references, and interviews.  They'll hang on to Herman through the end of the season, past NSD1 and the conference championships.  He'll be let go after his post-season evaluation and after CDC/Hartzell have a better sense of who their top candidates are.

I'm all in on Gerry Hamilton/Jeff Howe/Rod Babers scenario of talking to the people who are going to say 'no' and find out who they'd recommend.  Ask enough of those guys and you'll start to hear the same names.  Worry less about the fan reaction and 'name' value and more about who can actually coach and evaluate.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

We know Texas HS players will play well in that system... I doubt upstate NY basketball journalists will.

well that is one way to play it.

"he didn't have any good players"

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm all in on Gerry Hamilton/Jeff Howe/Rod Babers scenario of talking to the people who are going to say 'no' and find out who they'd recommend.  Ask enough of those guys and you'll start to hear the same names.  Worry less about the fan reaction and 'name' value and more about who can actually coach and evaluate.

I agree on this sentiment. These coaches know who can coach and have experience with them or vs them in some cases. It would be negligent not to ask these kinds of questions. 

I'd even go as far as to say you should reach out to guys in the coaching fraternity and get the thoughts from guys like Dabo, Saban, and etc on who is a guy they'd look for even if we're not going to pursue Dabo or Saban.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Gilbert is a fraud who just runs the basic plays from the Briles’ playbook and has no idea how to adjust

• Hook 'Em 3

I just hope the next coach values speed. If you have to guys you view as similar recruits one being a 4 star and the other being a 3 star and the 3 star is clearly faster then I hope we prioritize speed. That is the one thing that can't be coached. Say what you will about Art and his transgressions but those are the guys he looks for at skill positions and then coaches them up once they get on campus.

57 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby this morning 

That update is pure trash.

”It may seem like nothing is happening but shit is happening. I can’t provide details on a fucking thing, but trust me. Also, let me give praise for literally nothing happening to some bureaucrats that feed me the occasional nugget. Thanks.”

Get the fuck out of here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

”It may seem like nothing is happening but shit is happening. I can’t provide details on a fucking thing, but trust me. Also, let me give praise for literally nothing happening to some bureaucrats that feed me the occasional nugget. Thanks.”

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby this morning 

Herman is going to be the coach through the 19th at least. Texas is going to seriously vet and consider Campbell it sounds like. Ash is probably our interim coach for the Bowl game, if there is one is my guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I agree on this sentiment. These coaches know who can coach and have experience with them or vs them in some cases. It would be negligent not to ask these kinds of questions. 

I'd even go as far as to say you should reach out to guys in the coaching fraternity and get the thoughts from guys like Dabo, Saban, and etc on who is a guy they'd look for even if we're not going to pursue Dabo or Saban.

I think one of the problems is that it is more important for a head coach to be a great manager and leader than it is for him to be a great Xs and Os guy. You just have to hire great scheme guys and get everyone to work instead of playing golf and chasing skirts.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I laughed at the end. "I feel like Texas is in good hands with the group and its approach to the task. " Yeah the guy who's targets are James Franklin and Gary fucking Kubiak has really got my confidence on this one.

Edited by Viper

15 minutes ago, Viper said:

I laughed at the end. "I feel like Texas is in good hands with the group and its approach to the task. " Yeah the guy who's targets are James Franklin and Gary fucking Kubiak has really got my confidence on this one.

There is not going to be financial support for Kubiak. You don’t have to worry about Texas targeting him. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Herman is going to be the coach through the 19th at least. Texas is going to seriously vet and consider Campbell it sounds like. Ash is probably our interim coach for the Bowl game, if there is one is my guess. 

Good, on the Campbell thing, imo.

But it sounds like he's not all that interested in Texas.

1 hour ago, NoName said:

I'm pretty sure the poster who posted that wasn't seriously suggesting that Payton is coming to Austin.

33 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm pretty sure the poster who posted that wasn't seriously suggesting that Payton is coming to Austin.

sorry - it wasn't directed at him specifically, just trying to ensure we don't end up in the same position as Ruhle where we get his name floated a zillion times

Edited by NoName

Other than being a sweaty mess and some past unruly behavior from players (no worse than Urban), what again is keeping Gary Patterson from being a legitimate candidate?  He beats our ass up and down the field on a regular basis with half the talent. He obviously has a relationship with CDC and can get quality assistants. He’s 60, so has a solid 7-10 years left in him. 
I’d rather have him than a Franklin or Cristobal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Yep.  Probably Campbell but might possibly include Mullen as an option still?  I mean, if Florida get's boat-raced by Alabama maybe Mullen in a moment of post-game weakness takes the offer.

3 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Other than being a sweaty mess and some past unruly behavior from players (no worse than Urban), what again is keeping Gary Patterson from being a legitimate candidate?  He beats our ass up and down the field on a regular basis with half the talent. He obviously has a relationship with CDC and can get quality assistants. He’s 60, so has a solid 7-10 years left in him. 
I’d rather have him than a Franklin or Cristobal. 

The last three years at TCU?

At this point I wonder if Gary is more interested in writing/playing shitty songs than he is in coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

I don’t think musk gives a fuck about anything not having to do with musk

I think John Goodenough has a couple of patents that he'll want to ask the university about regarding glass batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a fair part of the reason the gigafactory was placed in Austin...so it seems my response to your post after reading it is essentially:

James franco same same but different GIF on GIFER - by Gosar

• Hook 'Em 1