Formula 1 2021

wood

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Other than, that track sucks ass and I never want to see it on the F1 Calendar again.

Something we can all agree on? Yes? Yes?

Cool looking and fun to drive doesn't mean a good race track. At least Monaco has an excuse. This one was built for modern F1 cars.

12 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I'm telling you. Bernie Ecclestone Extravaganza. Double points. Bring in the rain machines. Grid Girls. Putin. Reanimated Max Mosely in leather daddy gear. 

Mmmm ... grid girls. Esp Suzuka grid girls.

177-1778222_homer-simpson-drooling-hd-pn

17 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It will. It’s only a temporary circuit until they finish this monstrosity in Qiddiya. The layout isn’t confirmed but this was “leaked”.

dbde8e6d278a130a09fe850e3c1fbd5c.jpg

Qiddiya%20circuit.jpg

I seriously don't know if this is a joke or not.

They're both shitheels whom I have zero desire to ever spend any time with. Verstappen was an asshat on the track this weekend and Hamilton was a dipshit during the collision. Neither will ever admit they did anything wrong because that's who they are. They both have severe personality flaws but that's not unusual in their line of work.

If you disagree with me then your closet resembles a bargain bin version of Hamilton's and your maturity rivals Verstappen's. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

whoever caused the red flag shouldn't be able to repair their car under it, at the very least. 

if this rule had been in place, the championship would have already been decided...

0_Screenshot-2021-07-18-at-151406.png

somewhere between a 40 and 50 point swing right there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

curious but what do we have about Max being a bad human being?

entitled? sure.

but legit bad person?

Before I answer that, I'd ask how familiar you are with Jos Verstappen. And just so it's clear I'm not a punish the son for sins of the father here.

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Thoughts?

Yeah I think it needs to be done away with. I think you shouldn't be able to touch a car under red flag. I do think it was good in Baku that everyone could change tires given the sudden blowout for Max, but make them pit if they want to do it. 

Frankly, pit stops are one of the biggest variables in a race. Taking it away removes one of the biggest deciders of position.

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah I think it needs to be done away with. I think you shouldn't be able to touch a car under red flag. I do think it was good in Baku that everyone could change tires given the sudden blowout for Max, but make them pit if they want to do it. 

Frankly, pit stops are one of the biggest variables in a race. Taking it away removes one of the biggest deciders of position.

WCC = World tire Change Championship

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Before I answer that, I'd ask how familiar you are with Jos Verstappen. And just so it's clear I'm not a punish the son for sins of the father here.

i understand his dad is a...not great person to say it lightly.

i am asking specifically about Max off the track to see if i am missing something?

• Hook 'Em 1

It needs to be tweaked but I’m not totally sure how.

I don’t think repairing the car should necessarily be disallowed. At minimum, I do think replacing a front wing should be allowed since they are critical to the car, and it’s pretty standard practice and happens pretty often anyway. There is zero practical reason to send a car with a broken FW out for a standing restart.

I have read a few possible ideas.

- Allow a tire change, but only to a set of the same compound, so if you haven’t yet run a second compound, you’d still need to. This could work, but if a car is on their only set of hards and they got a puncture, how do you then rule? Eh.

- Set order to the last green flag lap order. Don’t think I like this one because of situations like what happened in Jeddah where many stopped but then did like 3-4 SC laps. That was part of the strategy, and would have just been totally nullified.

- Close the pits during SC laps kinda like INDYCAR. Would make red flag situations more “fair” to everyone but I don’t really like this as it does remove more strategy options.

I dunno.

Maybe you can make changes, but there is a penalty attached? So a front wing change would be a 20 second penalty? Tires would be 10 seconds? Would still be faster than pitting under green -- similar to pitting under the safety car -- but there is some sort of hurdle?

I'm fine with eliminating all changes under red flag.  To me, the red flag means the race is stopped.  And if the race is stopped, then all race-related activities should be stopped.  It's a null-session, until the race is back underway under a green (or yellow) flag.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Maybe you can make changes, but there is a penalty attached? So a front wing change would be a 20 second penalty? Tires would be 10 seconds? Would still be faster than pitting under green -- similar to pitting under the safety car -- but there is some sort of hurdle?

And while this needs some tweaking, perhaps the time penalties could be calculated based on either each team's median time to perform a given service under green, or the overall median time for that service by all teams? Or maybe have a "pit crew competition" at the start of each season to set each team's individual time penalties for every allowable service in advance? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Teams are allowed to make repairs. But the only tools with which to do it are duct tape, jb weld, and wd40

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

Teams are allowed to make repairs. But the only tools with which to do it are duct tape, jb weld, and wd40

You just described the engine of my very first car I owned in high school, a 1981 Dodge Omni.  Pretty sure the radiator consisted of nothing but JB Weld by the time I was done driving it.

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

whoever caused the red flag shouldn't be able to repair their car under it, at the very least. 

Yep. And I've hated the rule since I first found out it existed & was pretty shocked that it did.

The simplest way to handle it imho is this ... We don't wanna send out unsafe cars into a restart, so if there's a safety consern on the car, they should be able (or compelled) to make changes and then restart from the pit lane. That would likely limit drastically  how much work is done on the cars during a red flag, because there would have a simple, uncomplicated consequence for improving cars. Right now there is none. It's open season.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Canada GP tickets went on sale today. Any recs for where you want to be to see the race?

T1, 2, 3 (there, GS 11 is the best imho). And the Hairpin.

GS11 at T3...

maxresdefault.jpg

GS34 at the hairpin...

best-grandstands-at-circuit-gilles-ville

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Do you guys typically get passes for the whole weekend, or just one or two days?  I'm wondering if 3 days at the track will be a bit much.

I/we went Sat/Sun both times, but I could easily go all 3 days. But if you choose to miss a day or two, there are loads of things to do to keep you busy/entertained. And unless you need one just to get to Montreal, don't rent a car. You won't need it while you're there. Their Metro system is easily the best I've ever seen.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

I went Fri-Sat-Sun and didn't regret it. On Friday during FP2 a storm came in from over downtown and just drenched the place. Lewis tried to have a go and ended up in the wall at the hairpin after locking up. The crowd went nuts. 

The view from GS12. 

QnF8Ee74_o.jpg

This is the storm starting up over downtown. Super cool watching it come in over the mountain into the city and then over the seaway. 

VhoY1B7t_o.jpg

I got tix for me and the lady this morning.  I'm cheap so I got GA.  Did I fuck up or are there some good GA vantage points?  I understand some of the grandstands will obviously offer better views than GA but we did GA for our first race this year in Austin and got fine enough views at turn 7 and turn 12.

20 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Where did you see tickets on sale? I thought they didn't go until Dec. 15.

They're on the F1 website.  I had put in my email to get notified when the tickets go on sale a month or so ago and got the email this morning.  When I first checked, there were 2 grandstand sections sold out, when I bought our tickets a little later, there were 4 grandstands sold out, and the last I checked there were 7 sold out so looks like they're going fast.  

2 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

I got tix for me and the lady this morning.  I'm cheap so I got GA.  Did I fuck up or are there some good GA vantage points?  I understand some of the grandstands will obviously offer better views than GA but we did GA for our first race this year in Austin and got fine enough views at turn 7 and turn 12.

I think there are some decent GA spots on the city side of the track and at the hairpin. 

• Hook 'Em 1