Brian Kelly or Bust

RGBIII

24 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

get the fuck outta here with that shit

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How so?  If the money's the same, it becomes somewhat of a lateral move.  Slight recruiting advantage for Texas, but Kelly's been pulling down top classes at ND pretty consistently.  ND's average recruiting class ranking over the last 5 years is 13.8...Texas' is 10.8 so not that far apart.  Although I have to believe Kelly would raise that without the limitations ND has on him. But then there's the downside of starting over and no guarantees at a new program, etc. UT may be an easier path to a national championship, then again it may not. No, I think we'd all have to be pretty damn hopeful UT could money whip ND for this to actually happen.

We had Quinn Ewers committed verbally, he had to watch Tom Herman for 3 years and still wanted to be a part of Texas. It took an absoulte melt down shit show by Tom to lose the #1 recruit in the country. There is no starting over here, Texas recruits well when we blow and we recruit exceptionally well when we win. If BK had more money to buy better coordinators with the state of Texas to recruit in I'm not sure what the hang up would be. I am obiously just guessing like everybody else here but it's with the most logic that I can muster. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

How so?  If the money's the same, it becomes somewhat of a lateral move.  Slight recruiting advantage for Texas, but Kelly's been pulling down top classes at ND pretty consistently.  ND's average recruiting class ranking over the last 5 years is 13.8...Texas' is 10.8 so not that far apart.  Although I have to believe Kelly would raise that without the limitations ND has on him. But then there's the downside of starting over and no guarantees at a new program, etc. UT may be an easier path to a national championship, then again it may not. No, I think we'd all have to be pretty damn hopeful UT could money whip ND for this to actually happen.

I don’t think you know enough about Notre Dame. They don’t pay big money, or even salaries comparable to other blued bloods for coaches. Kelly’s had a ton of assistants poached during his time there. If Texas wants Kelly badly, then they will absolutely be willing to pay more than ND would be willing to match. 

35 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Kelly would be one of the strongest non-Meyer choices available, but people are leery about him because of a fear that there’s another Lincoln Riley out there that we haven’t uncovered, or that his success at Notre Dame is due to a fairly weak schedule, or that he won’t know how to deal with OU and other advanced offenses.

Those are valid concerns, but who else do you get instead that would have less risk? Campbell, Fickell, Kubiak, Sark all have more risk. I could see Campbell backfilling ND and being more successful than Kelly because of the easier schedules they typically have, but I’m not sure he would do better at Texas than Kelly.

If Meyer can’t be hired, Kelly is an interesting option.

This weak schedule line gets thrown out way too much. The data does not support it. You can look at just about any metric (sagarin, SP, FEI), ND’s schedule is generally in the same ballpark as UT’s during Kelly’s time at ND. He would not be experiencing a meaningfully tougher schedule at UT than he does now. 

ND has a top 15 SOS this year per Football Outsiders and had the toughest schedule of any team in the top 10.  Furthermore, he’s been in the top 11 teams per FEI, which adjusts for opponent, 4 of the last 5 years. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Brian Kelly has won 10 games in 5 out of the last 6 years and people here would be upset about this hire....please present a better realistic candidate outside of Urban. Needy bitches

Anyone that doesn’t think Kelly would be a fucking slam dunk hire is out of their mind. And it’s why it’ll never happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t think you know enough about Notre Dame. They don’t pay big money, or even salaries comparable to other blued bloods for coaches. Kelly’s had a ton of assistants poached during his time there. If Texas wants Kelly badly, then they will absolutely be willing to pay more than ND would be willing to match. 

Having assistants poached instead of fired would be a new and pleasant departure.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine looking at Texas football for the past decade and thinking we're too good for a guy who finished top 10 six out of the last seven years and top 3 three out of the last four and actually thinking "nope not our standard"

This has to be "Urban or nobody" tantrum throwing because it's so absurd it reads like parody.

I've been a Campbell guy because I think he's the best available but if Kelly picks up the phone you write him a blank check and start figuring out how we fairly allocate CFP tickets to fans in 2023 and beyond. I don't think some of you understand how difficult it is to build an athletic football team with ND's academic requirements. The teams he'd build here would run circles around his ND squads.

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

10 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

He also thought Chip Kelly was the answer. 

From the Ghost of Coaching Searches Past:

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/163489-If-Chip-Kelly-s-available-what-do-you-do?s=d8989a7ae70e6d909c7df66b222c05ca

And @TexArcher + rep yourself for the 3rd post:

Holy shit.  7 year obsession noted

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Having assistants poached instead of fired would be a new and pleasant departure.

Kelly’s been really good at hiring assistants, especially OL and DC, and they’d only get poached for promotions at Texas. One of the big benefits to him is that when he decides to retire, a great candidate will probably already be on staff and then we can go the Riley/Day/Dabo route instead of the Strong/Herman route. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s exactly what I was saying.  UT would need to money whip him to where ND couldn’t keep compete financially.

42 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

It’s not arbitrary. Your bowl record is your bowl record. On top of that, they are one of the few times teams get extended prep time, usually matched against similar talent, and something is on the line. It is a good indicator of a programs ability to meet the challenge. Some coaches seem to be much better at doing this then others.

The who, what, why, etc bullshit don’t mean much. Just did you win, or not. That is not arbitrary.

But you got that part wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

fixed

tenor.gif?itemid=15324943

Accident? He used the Lord's name in vain on ND's hallowed practice grounds - the same grounds once graced by Rudy Ruttiger - and Kelly pulled out his colt revolver and shot him in cold blood. Right through the heart. 

It was no accident. The fucker had it coming, though. Kelly was right to do what he did. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Kelly would be one of the strongest non-Meyer choices available, but people are leery about him because of a fear that there’s another Lincoln Riley out there that we haven’t uncovered, or that his success at Notre Dame is due to a fairly weak schedule, or that he won’t know how to deal with OU and other advanced offenses.

Those are valid concerns, but who else do you get instead that would have less risk? Campbell, Fickell, Kubiak, Sark all have more risk. I could see Campbell backfilling ND and being more successful than Kelly because of the easier schedules they typically have, but I’m not sure he would do better at Texas than Kelly.

If Meyer can’t be hired, Kelly is an interesting option.

I'm sure there is another lincoln riley out there. But unless he's already a highly successful HC in a P5 program, he will not qualify as a candidate.  Some one else will find him, whip our ass with him, then we will offer an insane amount of money to hire him.  Texas, unlike oklahoma, is way too big of a job to trust to an assistant coach. 

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Notre Dame has had more players drafted in the past two drafts than UT has had in the last five.

i was just looking that up when i saw your post.  Kelly started at ND in 2010.  i went back to 2012.

2020:  Notre Dame - 6; Texas - 3

2019:  Notre Dame - 6; Texas - 2

2018:  Notre Dame - 4; Texas - 4

2017:  Notre Dame - 2; Texas - 1

2016:  Notre Dame - 7; Texas - 1

2015:  Notre Dame - 1; Texas - 5

2014:  Notre Dame - 8; Texas - 0

2013:  Notre Dame - 6; Texas - 3

2012:  Notre Dame - 4; Texas - 3

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine looking at Texas football for the past decade and thinking we're too good for a guy who finished top 10 six out of the last seven years and top 3 three out of the last four and actually thinking "nope not our standard"

This has to be "Urban or nobody" tantrum throwing because it's so absurd it reads like parody.

I've been a Campbell guy because I think he's the best available but if Kelly picks up the phone you write him a blank check and start figuring out how we fairly allocate CFP tickets to fans in 2023 and beyond. I don't think some of you understand how difficult it is to build an athletic football team with ND's academic requirements. The teams he'd build here would run circles around his ND squads.

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Pretty much exactly my thoughts.  Of course Urban is the dream.  But I'm definitely not mad if Kelly is here.  He most assuredly takes us back to at least Early Mack era where they're Top 5-10 every year.

49 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not. I’m genuinely wondering what is up with this board. 

Do you really need an explanation? People hate our fucking coach and want a new one. The people here are desperate to end their misery and come back to the football board instead of being relegated to the rest of the site, since most of them were you know here for the football board before the other boards. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'm not sure who wouldn't be an upgrade over Charlie.  

Me. And that’s because I know very little about football, nothing about schemes and watch like a girl. And I’m old, fat and white. 
All that said- I do understand process, hiring and empowerment, so it’s possible I’d win 7 games at UT in spite of the fact that if you put an all 22 tape in I’d have zero clue about anything I saw. 
Charlie is that bad that I’m honestly not sure a football functional regard such as myself wouldn’t finish with a better record than him. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I hate our fucking coach. I want a new one. I need an explanation of why we’re hanging onto Urban hope, incessantly calling him “CUM”, and why we’re hanging onto anonymous “insider” hack for Jesus Shuttlesworth’s scoop on Brian Kelly. I think you’re exacerbating the hype around unrealistic possibilities, particularly in the Urban thread, but hey, drive traffic. 

I think Kelly could be good for us. I do not know how good of a recruiter he is, and have concerns about his offense in the Big 12, but regardless, he’d be an improvement. My negativity toward him is two-fold: a) he’s not coming. Why would he? b) I don’t think the younger crowd know what a hack JS is. 

How should Christians respond to internet trolls? | 412teens.org

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I hate our fucking coach. I want a new one. I need an explanation of why we’re hanging onto Urban hope, incessantly calling him “CUM”, and why we’re hanging onto anonymous “insider” hack for Jesus Shuttlesworth’s scoop on Brian Kelly. I think you’re exacerbating the hype around unrealistic possibilities, particularly in the Urban thread, but hey, drive traffic. 

I think Kelly could be good for us. I do not know how good of a recruiter he is, and have concerns about his offense in the Big 12, but regardless, he’d be an improvement. My negativity toward him is two-fold: a) he’s not coming. Why would he? b) I don’t think the younger crowd know what a hack JS is. 

People are choosing to have fun with it, people are goofing around and not taking themselves too seriously it's fun. I didn't realize that the fun police had arrived and that I was exacerbating anything to drive traffic. If I'm trying to drive traffic I'm doing a pretty shitty job because we aren't anywhere on the urban meyer search results on google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=urban+meyer+texas&oq=urban+meyer+texas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.3685j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

check for yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, immamac said:

People are choosing to have fun with it, people are goofing around and not taking themselves too seriously it's fun. I didn't realize that the fun police had arrived and that I was exacerbating anything to drive traffic. If I'm trying to drive traffic I'm doing a pretty shitty job because we aren't anywhere on the urban meyer search results on google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=urban+meyer+texas&oq=urban+meyer+texas&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l7.3685j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

check for yourself. 

we suck again GIF

6 hours ago, Augustus said:

Anybody at UT who would be disappointed with hiring Brian Kelly is so far beyond delusional I don't know how they navigate the real world.

Of course you’re right but it’s like you have been phone flirting with Kelly Labrock (in her prime), and she’s been sexting about how she is gonna ride you like a stallion, then date night comes and it’s actually Kelly Brook who shows up.  Sure you should be happy as shit, cause you have been dating Kelly Clarkson, but in the back of your mind, you are a bit disappointed.

Edited by Horn Dog
  • Haha 1

You don't want the Kelly that actually wins conference championships?

21 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Now, when has a ND head football coach left that team and gone on to bigger and better success as a head coach elsewhere?

"When I left Notre Dame I never thought I would coach again. Where do you go after Notre Dame except up to heaven to sit by the pope?" - Lou Holtz

• Like 3