2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Update:

Friday night probably gonna rain as a front blows through.  Slight severe very scattered.
Saturday maybe rain in the morning then drying.
Sunday-Monday no rain, temps high 80's.

chances that the LT graduation will be rained out?

Hard to believe it's been 24 years ago, about this time.   Asphalt peeled off the road.  Animals and their hides separated.  Bark stripped off trees.  Millions of wheat shafts impaled cattle.   Humans identified by dental records only, if at that.   Instead of passing through the subdivision at a normal rate, the thing plodded along at 5 MPH with winds hitting 250 MPH+, churning more and more death as it went along.   

I've read where the Jarrell tornado was the most powerful in US history, just in its sheer intensity.   Not sure about that but it was a monster. 

image.png.c0d1e1d6397406bfe85d4954228aa7c3.png

AR-305279806.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Storms have been sliding west to east north of us but are slowly chiseling down toward Austin. Looks like they might get here a little earlier than forecast. Yes, I would say outdoor events around 6:00 or after are at risk now. I'll update later.

I do think it'll get pretty stormy though around or after sunset.

Williamson County under a severe thunderstorm watch, Travis and South/West are not (at least right now)

26 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Storms have been sliding west to east north of us but are slowly chiseling down toward Austin. Looks like they might get here a little earlier than forecast. Yes, I would say outdoor events around 6:00 or after are at risk now. I'll update later.

I do think it'll get pretty stormy though around or after sunset.

Williamson County under a severe thunderstorm watch, Travis and South/West are not (at least right now)

Will this garbage maybe be close to being past Austin by around 8 PM?  Need to head west, eventually.  

P.S. - this sucks

I guess it depends where you're going.  Out west looks okay, most of the line is N/NE of us.  However, there's a complex around San Angelo that's building now, but if you're going south/southwest from us, it'll probably not hit until after 8.  Up 71 to Mason/Brady, maybe not. 

Another big complex, actually the main one, is supposed to hit us around 10 or after.  So there should be a break. Other than that, it'll be hit or miss I guess.

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I guess it depends where you're going.  Out west looks okay, most of the line is N/NE of us.  However, there's a complex around San Angelo that's building now, but if you're going south/southwest from us, it'll probably not hit until after 8.  Up 71 to Mason/Brady, maybe not. 

Another big complex, actually the main one, is supposed to hit us around 10 or after.  So there should be a break. Other than that, it'll be hit or miss I guess.

You might say Llano :D

On 5/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Hard to believe it's been 24 years ago, about this time.   Asphalt peeled off the road.  Animals and their hides separated.  Bark stripped off trees.  Millions of wheat shafts impaled cattle.   Humans identified by dental records only, if at that.   Instead of passing through the subdivision at a normal rate, the thing plodded along at 5 MPH with winds hitting 250 MPH+, churning more and more death as it went along.   

I've read where the Jarrell tornado was the most powerful in US history, just in its sheer intensity.   Not sure about that but it was a monster. 

image.png.c0d1e1d6397406bfe85d4954228aa7c3.png

AR-305279806.jpg

I read that as 24 hours ago and was like, man, what'd I miss?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, texasdago said:

You might say Llano :D

Lahhno, or LAY-no?

Not the best place to go but we'll see.  Honest to gawd it's hit or miss up there.  A big cluster is moving SE from San Angelo, but that looks to go west of Llano.  But if it fills in, nope.  Best hope is for a brief passing shower, but not a washout, until after 10 or so.

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I love how the weather makes sure to hit the holiday weekend after farting around all week. Excellent job. Sky looks scary in 78717. 

You are out in the burbs? For some reason I thought you lived in another state, NY maybe?

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

You are out in the burbs? For some reason I thought you lived in another state, NY maybe?

I live in North Austin. Grew up in the Panhandle. Haven’t lived in another state other than Texas...yet.

I love how even with the threat of an impending thunderstorm people in this neighborhood still doing their “walk about” acting like if they don’t walk around the block right this minute they will burst into flames. Lmao. Even with the freeze this February with ice and snow fuckers still trying to jog. WTF? Go home lol.

Like a cow on a flat rock in one of those ‘experience a hurricane’ booths here in cedar park.  For everyone who got a new roof super quick in my hood, good luck if it hails bad again...it was suggested I wait, glad I did (thanks Roflbox)

Edited by Homercles

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I live in North Austin. Grew up in the Panhandle. Haven’t lived in another state other than Texas...yet.

I love how even with the threat of an impending thunderstorm people in this neighborhood still doing their “walk about” acting like if they don’t walk around the block right this minute they will burst into flames. Lmao. Even with the freeze this February with ice and snow fuckers still trying to jog. WTF? Go home lol.

Whereabouts in the Panhandle, queries the fellow West Texan?