2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

Just now, Chet Steadman said:

Apparently all of NW Hills is out. 

All told, I think I’ve spent about two weeks without power the first five months of this year. 

They'll charge you extra for service that good. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Looks like this storm hit the right spots for the lake though

This is a great site to follow the storm impacts on the lakes. You can see the watershed basins for each lake and also see how fast the rivers are flowing that feed into the lakes.  You can also overlay the current radar loop.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

Just now, Hate said:

This is a great site to follow the storm impacts on the lakes. You can see the watershed basins for each lake and also see how fast the rivers are flowing that feed into the lakes.  You can also overlay the current radar loop.

https://hydromet.lcra.org/

Counterpoint: https://isthelakefullyet.com

4 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

I stand by the post I made back in February when I went 98 hours without power.  

If this lasts more than 18 hours, I’m posting Adler’s cell on both Surly and Reddit.  

FAAFO

Adler: "It's Cronk's fault."

• Haha 1

I was at the Hancock HEB when the shit came through. Couldn't see more than two rows of cars from the front doors. I was just heading home and was in shorts and tshirt, so I said fuck it and headed for my car. Some points in the parking lot had over ankle deep water and I was completely soaked before I got halfway to the car. That shit was impressive. 

• Haha 1

Just now, AUS-97HORN said:

i left the back door slightly open in case my dogs wanted to piss...  I have a 3 foot roof overhang at that point...  rain said fuck you and came another foot inside the door. 

My dogs bolted out the door, only to realize they didn't want to really be out there.

Sorry, but you chose poorly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

My dogs bolted out the door, only to realize they didn't want to really be out there.

Sorry, but you chose poorly. 

Mine noped out upstairs to under my bed the moment it started. She doesn't normally care for bad weather, but she wasn't having any of this shit. 

Update:

This was kinda not 'posed to happen (yet), but it did.  One storm sailing W→E across the area made the typical right turn and barreled through Cedar Park, Steiner, NW Austin, and smack into downtown.  That was the stormiest core.  The rest was a good bumper but nothing severe.  

This was supposed to be the "1" of the "1-2 punch".  The first batch was coming as it did from the N/NW.  This was sorta supposed to fall apart before it got to us.  But uh, maybe you noticed, it di'int.

Next batch is coming more from the W/NW, 10 or later.  This is the "2".  But the atmosphere has been so worked over (stabilized) by this first punch I wouldn't expect severe.  So far radar is "maybe."  But if stuff gets here from the next wave, it'll be, I dunno, about the 10 p.m. - 1 a.m. range.

Tomorrow is supposed to be decent, but first might be some showers to clean up.  Later Saturday and Sunday look decent, but 30% chances of rain each day (again, it is Memorial Day, end of story).  Memorial Day Monday was looking clean, but now increasing rain possible, esp. after noon.  Chances are going up.  Gee, really?  On Memorial Day?  Since when?  Yeah, right.

Best time to get drunk and almost drown in Lake Travis will be from Sat. noon thru Mon. noon.  After that, don't come cryin' to me.

More in the future if need be.

Happy Memorial Day!  Er, have a good Memorial Day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Storms have been sliding west to east north of us but are slowly chiseling down toward Austin. Looks like they might get here a little earlier than forecast. Yes, I would say outdoor events around 6:00 or after are at risk now. I'll update later.
I do think it'll get pretty stormy though around or after sunset.
Williamson County under a severe thunderstorm watch, Travis and South/West are not (at least right now)

Currently @ Hill Country Galleria, good rain coming down but not super heavy.

Was solid on us all the way from SW of Drip to here.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Dripping Springs High moved the graduation ceremony time (at the football stadium) tonight from 8:00 pm to 6:00 in an attempt to avoid the rain. We shall see. Should I wear my waders?
Saw some pics just now, kids & family got wet anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

KXAN better bring Uncle Jim back out of retirement for this.  

Although on second thought, he was filling in for David Suits on Tuesday and he predicted less than 10% chance of rain for today.  

So maybe the game has passed him by.  Who knows.  

Turn my fahking power back on. 

• Like 1