2021 Rain Thread

South Austin

My gut tells me waves of rain will be manageable in Austin unless your tent is pitched next to Williamson Creek or you decide to drive through some low water crossing.   

Austin won’t get lucky enough to have all the homeless washed away, but they may at least get a shower.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hate said:

Austin won’t get lucky enough to have all the homeless washed away, but they may at least get a shower.

Maybe we can leave some small hotel soaps by the creeks.  I have lots of nice samples from Embassy Suites, La Quinta, etc.

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:
2 hours ago, phdhorn said:
Update:

Looks like today's round is forming up now SW of us and will pass through starting about noon or within the following hour.  Not a ton presently, but if it hits a pocket of humidity and lift...

I hit your mother's humidity pocket last night Trebek!

My mom's deceased, from now on you probably should use my sister.

Update:

The morning shift went by, but the afternoon shift is definitely a'comin'.  Has ramped up and heavy rain will be upon us for about 3-4 hours, starting in about an hour.  It's gonna rain.  Oh yeah.  It's gonna rain.

38 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Update:

The morning shift went by, but the afternoon shift is definitely a'comin'.  Has ramped up and heavy rain will be upon us for about 3-4 hours, starting in about an hour.  It's gonna rain.  Oh yeah.  It's gonna rain.

I mean, right now it just looks like a weak line coming at us, with some fun stuff for NB and Kyle. 

4 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

I mean, right now it just looks like a weak line coming at us, with some fun stuff for NB and Kyle. 

Don't know if I'd call that big blob coming right at us a "weak line." Where it's passed over so far, it's taking 2+ hours for the heavy stuff to completely pass through

16 minutes ago, boknowstecmo said:

Nah, the rough stuff is going south of us, I think? 

This.  The complex is coming into Austin but the heavier more turbulent stuff made a right and once again is going south of town.

Forcefield 1 1/2, Rain 1/2, phd 1/4.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

Man I swear that red blob was heading straight for Travis, took a decided right hand turn about 80 miles out, then took another left, forming a "Z", and now it's heading NE again - but will miss most of Austin.  That was very weird.

6 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Man I swear that red blob was heading straight for Travis, took a decided right hand turn about 80 miles out, then took another left, forming a "Z", and now it's heading NE again - but will miss most of Austin.      That was very weird  right out of the FF playbook.

Ok.

4 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

We are getting a pretty good shower here probably about a half inch so far the last 10 minutes but it always rains in Bee Cave.

So far this entire past week has delivered 0.2" to my home in NW TravCo.  I'll remain skeptical and leave my automatic sprinklers system on.

3 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So far this entire past week has delivered 0.2" to my home in NW TravCo.  I'll remain skeptical and leave my automatic sprinklers system on.

Yeah I see them more or less as 0-2 today, but I guess when the bar's set that high we can overlook what would normally be pretty good rain on any given day.

•  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Is this just rain or hail too?

from the weather advisory  linked on Weatherunderground, it sounds like there is hail but generally south of austin

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Caldwell County in south central Texas...
Southeastern Travis County in south central Texas...
Bastrop County in south central Texas...
Northeastern Gonzales County in south central Texas...
Northwestern Lee County in south central Texas...
Southwestern Fayette County in south central Texas...

* Until 530 PM CDT.

* At 427 PM CDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from Austin Bergstrom Int Airport to near Palmeto State
Park, moving northeast at 35 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Hail damage to vehicles is expected. Expect wind damage
to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Austin, Lockhart, Elgin, Bastrop, Luling, Smithville, Austin
Bergstrom Int Airport, Waelder, Mustang Ridge, Niederwald, Camp
Swift, Circle D-KC Estates, Cedar Creek, Rosanky, Paige, Muldoon,
Cistern, Wyldwood, Palmeto State Park and Hornsby Bend.

It's more than obvious that for today at least, the bullseye moved 50-80 miles south and east of us.

We have tomorrow to go yet, but it's starting to look like Al Capone's vault. Nevertheless, it's very tough to pinpoint or the worst rain would be, not sure if they'll ever get that down.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

That thing clogged or under something? I’ve dodged quite a few of these storms and have still got pretty good rain. Even left my rear window down in the car for a day. Got lucky on that one