Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

1 hour ago, ForTheCorner said:

Is what ways is Arnett is an upgrade from Ash?

Really don't see anything in Arnett's record that would justify moving on from the guy we have right now.

Did you watch the defense get eaten up by a true freshmen in the bowl game? There are a plethora of guys that would justify moving on from Ash. 

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I can’t tell if having naming rights for endowments for football coordinators like it’s the Business School is the dumbest idea or the most brilliant I’ve ever heard. 

Couldn't answer but Steve fucking Patterson sure is jealous he didn't get to implement the idea first.

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Feels like Roach is nearing EJ Holland (RIP) levels of just regurgitating without any critique what he hears from handlers or legit agents. 

I thought so too, but some poster asked Roach his thoughts on FWK’s Texas related tweet and Roach said that he couldn’t see it because he’s been blocked. I found that kinda odd. 

• Hook 'Em 2

What are the chances LSU now just promotes Raymond to Co-DC and brings in a proven playcaller to help him run the show? I would think either way Freeman picking ND kind of fucks us in the Raymond sweepstakes. Chatter before seemed like if they had landed Freeman, Raymond was probably going to go somewhere else. I know we are also linked to Ayers but that feels as unrealistic as Lufoi. 

Still a lot of great options out there thankfully at both DC and CB though so no reason to panic. 

Just now, Poe It Up said:

I thought so too, but some poster asked Roach his thoughts on FWK’s Texas related tweet and Roach said that he couldn’t see it because he’s been blocked. I found that kinda odd. 

Why? I can see a guy like roach outing information given to him by fwk that was supposed to be private. 

not odd but hilarious he’s blocked. 

2 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

What are the chances LSU now just promotes Raymond to Co-DC and brings in a proven playcaller to help him run the show? I would think either way Freeman picking ND kind of fucks us in the Raymond sweepstakes. Chatter before seemed like if they had landed Freeman, Raymond was probably going to go somewhere else. I know we are also linked to Ayers but that feels as unrealistic as Lufoi. 

Still a lot of great options out there thankfully at both DC and CB though so no reason to panic. 

If LSUs history is anything they will continue to pass over Raymond. Heard that is another reason he’s growing tired of LSU. Some LSU fans seem to insinuate that as well on some Twitter post I’ve seen. 

I think a larger salary and the co-dc title is a good strategy for us to use in trying to obtain his services. Just having that title could set him up for his next move career wise. 

One of those always the bridesmaids never a bride kind of situation 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Hard. 

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Winning is

Hey...even though I quoted them in the wrong order so it resembles some shit yoda would say...This board ain’t big enough for two assholes that think winning is hard ok. I’ll be the hero this board needs and be a constant reminder of just how bad shit was before we went undefeated and won a title in 2021!!! 

3 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

Dan Quinn has participated in Super Bowls so he has been around championship level organizations. Also, ex-head coaches that got their job since they were good coordinators usually want to prove themselves again. I think he would do a good job and bring some recent experience as to what it takes to be a head coach and help Sarkisian as a he makes his way back into that role. If he does well he will be gone back to the NFL and if he sucks the NFL loves retreads and they will take him off our hands.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

2) Why is this “Golding is being fired at Bama” concept taking off here? It doesn’t seem grounded and it appears to have just sprung up once people started looking at who Sarkisian might steal from Bama’s staff. 

it's not grounded in anything and i am thisclose to having to write a copy/paste every time his name gets mentioned in this thread like I did for Matt Ruhle in the Urban thread.

people shouldn't be this dumb.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Dan Quinn has participated in Super Bowls so he has been around championship level organizations. Also, ex-head coaches that got their job since they were good coordinators usually want to prove themselves again. I think he would do a good job and bring some recent experience as to what it takes to be a head coach and help Sarkisian as a he makes his way back into that role. If he does well he will be gone back to the NFL and if he sucks the NFL loves retreads and they will take him off our hands.

I would prefer Arnett I think, but I would prefer a 4 man front more. I am conflicted but could live with either. I just dont want to see all of the elite edge rushers going to aggy for the next few years. Ossai was the driving force behind our defensive improvement this year on the field. 

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? I can see a guy like roach outing information given to him by fwk that was supposed to be private. 

not odd but hilarious he’s blocked. 

I get it - we shit on Roach - but he’s not Taylor Hamm, and he’s not going to play intermediary for FWK and other street agents / trainers / uncles in exchange for a ‘scoop’.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Watched highlights of Mississippi State from a couple of games and they had 4 men on the LOS most the defensive plays.  1 was a stand up DE/OLB.

Surprisingly most 3 man fronts operate this way nowadays outside of what we tried to watch Orlando do.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Perfectly fine with either of those two.  I'd be fine with Golding as well.  *ducks*

My concern with Golding is that he would only be available if Saban is pushing him out the door. If Saban shocks us all be retiring or something, and Golding ends up available due to the coaching shuffle? Sure, I'm open to it. I am not nearly as concerned by the mild slide in defensive metrics we've seen at Bama since he took over. Even if he isn't as good as Smart or Pruitt he is still to my potato eyes anyway a very good coach and not a 'downgrade' from Ash. But if Saban, whose eye for defensive coaching talent is damn near impeccable, thinks Golding is a lost cause as DC and wants to cut bait or go another direction? Fuck that. 

I would be thrilled with Quinn because I would think his hiring could go a long way towards securing Lufoi or Davis (and I have to think Raymond would feel good about coaching under him) and Arnett seems like the real deal so far. Good options both. 

Have there been any rumblings about Travaris Robinson as of recent? Seem to remember a mention way back in the thread, but not sure if it's because his name come up or it was reminiscing about T-Rob screwing us out of Tim Irvin of "Florida Five" infamy.

Anyways, he's a Muschamp guy, coached at TTU under Tuberville and has some recruiting chops. Currently with the cocks, rumored that barn, gators and hurricanes all going after him for their CB spot. Would bring some ties to making FL and east coast recruiting inroads. Not sure of his rep from a technical standpoint though, but obviously well regarded generally with those schools all targeting him. If someone tells me has show cause priors, I'm in. 

Golding has not shown the ability to coordinate a top rated P5 defense outside the umbrella of Saban or some other great defensive head coach.  Ash and Quinn have.  We need someone running that side of the ball who has total confidence in what they are doing at this level.  

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

I want stability at DC, not a guy who comes in for one year and leaves for an HC or NFL job. 

I sorta like the Saban model: Stability at HC  and bring in new coordinators every few years—stepping stone for them,  fresh ideas for the program. 

If Hutzler is already out, you have to assume he knows Ash is out too. All things being equal, I’d rather have Coleman on the staff. That said, this all a normal part of any regime change. There are candidates out there that can fill in the gap, and this staff is still shaping up to be much stronger top to bottom than the staff Hutzler was part of.

7 minutes ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

My concern with Golding is that he would only be available if Saban is pushing him out the door. If Saban shocks us all be retiring or something, and Golding ends up available due to the coaching shuffle? Sure, I'm open to it. I am not nearly as concerned by the mild slide in defensive metrics we've seen at Bama since he took over. Even if he isn't as good as Smart or Pruitt he is still to my potato eyes anyway a very good coach and not a 'downgrade' from Ash. But if Saban, whose eye for defensive coaching talent is damn near impeccable, thinks Golding is a lost cause as DC and wants to cut bait or go another direction? Fuck that. 

I would be thrilled with Quinn because I would think his hiring could go a long way towards securing Lufoi or Davis (and I have to think Raymond would feel good about coaching under him) and Arnett seems like the real deal so far. Good options both. 

So, I believe, hiring one of the alleged remaining 3 (Golding, Arnett or Quinn) will draw some negative reactions here.  All three of them have warts. However, I believe over the next three years all three will be at least as good as Ash, though yes, Quinn is a flight risk.  This has to be an A hire as Sark is all O, so it's important.  Waiting for the collective groan on Tuesday when the new DC will be announced.  Me, I'm glad the Herm error is done with.

• Hook 'Em 1

Like others, I don't understand the hand-wringing over bringing in a big name that falls more on the "surer thing, more likely to have success and leave us in 1-2 years" over the "promising but slightly more risky up-and-comer who might stay a while."

At this point in Sark's tenure, Year 0, give me the surer thing to leave us. If that surer thing leaves us for a HC or NFL job after a single year (or even two), it means he crushed it. It means UT probably had a very good season. And it means we're on a promising trajectory and more sure things or the Freemans of CFB that wouldn't come today would then see us as a solid platform for their career climb (or, at worst, a place they'd be comfortable going if the money is right - money isn't our issue).

TLD;DR: Short-sightedness is what we need right now, IMO. Bring in the best people to get us in the best spot the quickest; things will fall in line once in that spot. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't know if Hutzler's supposed departure is actually indicative of anything, but Quinn is a DL coach by trade while Arnett is an LBs coach.

My first thought is that it would likely mean Arnett, if anything, but Quinn is closely connected to a ton of excellent LB coaches so if it ends up being him he probably has guys he wants to slot into that roll himself. Point is I doubt we can take anything from Hutzler leaving either way beyond 'Ash is likely not returning' which seems more obvious by the day anyway. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
typing accurately is hard when drunk