Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

The way this offense can go at light speed or eat up 10 minutes of clock in 2 drives is amazing. Sark has really good grasp of little things that a coach should. This is texas, so that should be obvious, but after seeing Charlie Strong and Tom Herman lose us actual games with dumbass play calls and football 101 mistakes, it's so damn refreshing to see Sark get the basic things right.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

The way this offense can go at light speed or eat up 10 minutes of clock in 2 drives is amazing. Sark has really good grasp of little things that a coach should. This is texas, so that should be obvious, but after seeing Charlie Strong and Tom Herman lose us actual games with dumbass play calls and football 101 mistakes, it's so damn refreshing to see Sark get the basic things right.

Settle down bro. We’ve seen Sark do the same exact thing.

Hopefully this is Sark turning the corner.

Edited by lilMAC25

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

I 100% didn't think Sark could win a game like this.

I was wrong.

Same. Well coached game. Good gameplan, team was prepared for the intensity and environment, and Texas didn't have the stupid procedural penalties/blunders Bama had (like 10 men on the field allowing Crawford to down a punt inside the 5. Only minor gripe is that he got a little too trigger happy looking for the kill shot in the 3rd quarter but to his credit he reined that in.

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So it turns out that sark does know what he is doing. Not a surprise to anyone that pays attention to the right things and doesn’t get distracted. Fuck yea!!!

There were always signs he was the right hire. Great play calling in big games but players couldn’t execute (Thompson at QB, WRs wide open but couldn’t catch it). PK not having the right players and needing a season to gel with the staff. No Patterson for everyone to suck off this year either 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Weird what happens when you get a full compliment of players huh? 

Now we see if he can keep those players focused week in and week out and win the conference.

It looks like we might have the horses to run with anybody, so there isn't any excuses for Sark. Would be one hell of a redemption story if he can do something special this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

It was still a shitty opinion.  But glad you are back on board!   

To be fair, we pretty much all agreed that we won the fight last year, and woulda won scoreboard had Ewers not gone down - well, and ref fuckery.

Sark may well be the first coach we've had in forever who cares as much for his players - no, cares more for the players - than he does for the money men and fans.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

There were always signs he was the right hire. Great play calling in big games but players couldn’t execute (Thompson at QB, WRs wide open but couldn’t catch it). PK not having the right players and needing a season to gel with the staff. No Patterson for everyone to suck off this year either 

I think Huckleberry observed that maybe some of the drops were player "tension," squeezing too hard.

In the past, that player tension has shown itself in stupid penalties and other execution fuckups.  With getting the right talent, getting the guys used to the system and confident in performing within it, that tension and anxiety is getting squeezed out.

I'll repeat it, but I think it was pretty valid that Texas as a team had forgotten how to win. I don't think anything exemplifies that more than our third quarter/second half performances, not only under Sark, but under Herman as well.  They didn't really believe in their first-half performances, knew the other team was going to adjust and focus on the team weaknesses (load the box), and the pucker factor just went to 11 and mistakes led to more mistakes led to a shit show.

I think Sark tried various tactics to try to overcome that by letting them see themselves execute in the third quarter (aggressive plan, conservative plan, run, pass) with varying degrees of success.  That even happened last night.

And without a key player like Ehlinger (who never forgot), there just wasn't going to be a lot of success until we overcame that.  

And the kicker finally was that after Alabama scored to take the lead, we executed a great game plan to score, and then score again.  And instead of mistake leading to mistake, success led to success.  Some luck involved there, but the players finally executed.

I'm not sure we're 100% out of the woods on that, yet.  Now we have to deal with prosperity.  But I think the collective knowledge of how to win is being regained.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Settle down bro. We’ve seen Sark do the same exact thing.

Hopefully this is Sark turning the corner.

How many of those times were players being coached to do the right things, running into the right position to do things as they were coached and then dropping the easy catch though? Some of it was bad adjustment but most of the time I felt like he got it right even last year when we blew leads 

That was pretty damn satisfying to see Sark devise and execute an attacking and aggressive game plan in all phases. If that wasn’t arousing enough, the play calling was some of the best we’ve seen in quite some time. I can’t remember the last time I’ve felt that our offensive weapons were being used correctly and to maximum effect, and that the defense consistently brought pressure and disrupted the opposing QB. To be fair, Bama did their share of dick stepping in that game to affect the end result, but that performance by Sark and the team was legit progress and warrants optimism. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That was pretty damn satisfying to see Sark devise and execute an attacking and aggressive game plan in all phases. If that wasn’t arousing enough, the play calling was some of the best we’ve seen in quite some time. I can’t remember the last time I’ve felt that our offensive weapons were being used correctly and to maximum effect, and that the defense consistently brought pressure and disrupted the opposing QB. To be fair, Bama did their share of dick stepping in that game to affect the end result, but that performance by Sark and the team was legit progress and warrants optimism. 

Saban’s post-game press conference: “We were in quarters and he called a quarter-beater” and just kind of shrugged. It was very fucking gratifying. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Saban’s post-game press conference: “We were in quarters and he called a quarter-beater” and just kind of shrugged. It was very fucking gratifying. 

It might be an underrated aspect of this game that Sark has a history of coaching against Kevin Steele and knew what to expect from when Sark was at Bama and Steele was at Auburn.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

I liked the two defensive coaching additions

• Payam Saadat (Defense Analyst)
  • Jacquies Smith  (Edges)

Saadat’s experience in the double eagle flex system

"This is a defensive system that was originally pioneered by Dick Tomey at Arizona in the early 1990s." 

https://hookemheadlines.com/2023/05/26/texas-football-sarkisian-hires-payam-saadat-replace-gary-patterson/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick

Screenshot_20230701-213507_kindlephoto-1011838.png

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576903-jacquies-smiths-wild-ride-to-become-the-nfls-best-player-youve-never-heard-of

2 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

How many of those times were players being coached to do the right things, running into the right position to do things as they were coached and then dropping the easy catch though? Some of it was bad adjustment but most of the time I felt like he got it right even last year when we blew leads 

Some of it? Yes. Other times, he couldn’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag last year.

let’s hope Horns are past that. He made real changes after 1st part of 3rd last night and we started moving the ball again.

he deserves all credit for what we’ve done this year, just had to keep it up.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

What changes did he make?

He called the plays that worked.

That’s simplistic, yes, but true. He adjusted to the changes Bama made on D to start the 3rd and we started making plays. That is in no way an insult. Sark showed out.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Whitewater Horn said:

That sequence of going fast and just running RB swing back and forth and getting 4-8 yards easy was so sweet. Bama defenders didn't have the speed on the back end to stop it, just punishing them with motion and scheme. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

That’s simplistic, yes, but true. He adjusted to the changes Bama made on D to start the 3rd and we started making plays. That is in no way an insult. Sark showed out.

I was out pushing my kid on the bike listening to the press conference and Quinn sounded like he said play cards ? Instead of play calls. 

Got me thinking, the ultimate no-tell offensive play calling would be a deck of plays and just turn them over and ignore down and distance and momentum and everything. Sounds like something mensa would do lol I'd probably be a bad play caller. 

8 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

The changes he made were… adjustments? OK, what adjustments did he make?

I’ve only watched once and I wasn’t focused on that level of detail the first time through. What adjustments did he make that allowed the plays to start working again?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

I was out pushing my kid on the bike listening to the press conference and Quinn sounded like he said play cards ? Instead of play calls. 

Got me thinking, the ultimate no-tell offensive play calling would be a deck of plays and just turn them over and ignore down and distance and momentum and everything. Sounds like something mensa would do lol I'd probably be a bad play caller. 

You don’t want a no tell offense though. The whole point of an offensive game plan is to exploit defensive tendencies and part of that is showing plays that set up the big play because they were overreacting to the ones before it that lead them to either being trapped without the personnel to handle what you want to do or reading the wrong information from your alignment

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The changes he made were… adjustments? OK, what adjustments did he make?

I’ve only watched once and I wasn’t focused on that level of detail the first time through. What adjustments did he make that allowed the plays to start working again?

Tempo for certain. Also I think he went with some misdirection on the 2nd and 3rd drives (which didn’t score, but did move the ball).

7 minutes ago, Gandalfish said:

No matter what happens for the rest of the season or his career for the Longhorns, we'll always have that great win in our memories.

Thanks for that Sark! 🤘

Memorable game, for sure. I'm adding it to the '62 Arkansas game and some others. Last year woulda been one of them, if Auburn's FG had been the last score... instead, it's one of the Might-have-beens, but errbody got plenty of them.

EDIT: Damn, hit the save button, and it was "saving" for nearly a minute. Bet we see dupes galore this mornning.

Edited by Tex Long

1 hour ago, lilMAC25 said:

Tempo for certain. Also I think he went with some misdirection on the 2nd and 3rd drives (which didn’t score, but did move the ball).

Texas varied tempo throughout and Sarkisian pretty much always has motion and misdirection. 

The main difference is that Texas didn’t hit the plays that were there for a while but that’s going to happen against crappy teams from time to time, let alone against Alabama. They varied blocking schemes… as he said in his press conference, if you don’t Alabama will beat your ass eventually.

That something doesn’t work doesn’t make it a bad call or a bad approach. 

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas varied tempo throughout and Sarkisian pretty much always has motion and misdirection. 

The main difference is that Texas didn’t hit the plays that were there for a while but that’s going to happen against crappy teams from time to time, let alone against Alabama. They varied blocking schemes… as he said in his press conference, if you don’t Alabama will beat your ass eventually.

That something doesn’t work doesn’t make it a bad call or a bad approach. 

I was about to post that Sark then had the team in lawnmower tempo for much of the 4th. 

again, nothing that I posted should be taken as a slight against Sark in this game. We just have to see the same going forward.

as for the idea that “if it doesn’t work it doesn’t mean it’s bad”, it certainly does mean that if you lose. That’s the way it works. 

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I was about to post that Sark then had the team in lawnmower tempo for much of the 4th. 

again, nothing that I posted should be taken as a slight against Sark in this game. We just have to see the same going forward.

as for the idea that “if it doesn’t work it doesn’t mean it’s bad”, it certainly does mean that if you lose. That’s the way it works. 

Only if you’re a simpleton. Sometimes the right call just doesn’t work, for myriad reasons. 

What's very encouraging about Sark so far is that this has been a process with steady improvement throughout his entire tenure here so far. At no point has Texas not been getting better since he arrived, even in the offseason. It makes the changes feel more foundational and permanent than something flash in the pan. So far he looks like the perfect coach to lead us to the SEC.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Only if you’re a simpleton. Sometimes the right call just doesn’t work, for myriad reasons. 

That doesn’t make any sense:

Sark is the Head Coach of the team. When the team succeeds (wins) he gets credit.

When it fails, he gets the blame. That’s the reality of sports since coaches starting being paid.

Thankfully (and deservedly) he’s getting credit this season.

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

That doesn’t make any sense:

Sark is the Head Coach of the team. When the team succeeds (wins) he gets credit.

When it fails, he gets the blame. That’s the reality of sports since coaches starting being paid.

Thankfully (and deservedly) he’s getting credit this season.

Who gets the credit and the blame is a different question than whether a call can be judged as bad because it failed. 

VY slips on 4th and 5 and Texas loses to USC. Does that make the call bad?

Sweed drops the TD in Columbus. Does that make the call bad?

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Who gets the credit and the blame is a different question than whether a call can be judged as bad because it failed. 

Yes. Sark made a lot of right calls. Dropped passes are on the WR. We could have won by 3 TDs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yes.

That’s the nature of sport and fandom.

Who gets blamed for the 2001-2004 losses to OU? Is it the players? Or is it Mack Brown (and GDGD)?

I guess Charlie Strong was treated wrongly and fired too early. 5-7 for 3 straight seasons weren’t his fault at all.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Yes.

That’s the nature of sport and fandom.

Who gets blamed for the 2001-2004 losses to OU? Is it the players? Or is it Mack Brown (and GDGD)?

Only the simplest of simpletons would say it was a bad call to leave a game in VY’s hands, regardless. 

The nature of sport, for people who have the remotest clue, is to put the game on your go-to guy. If he fails, he fails. This is why Carroll still gets shit for his Super Bowl call whereas if he gives it to Lynch and it failed, that would be that. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka