Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I haven’t been able to quite put my finger on why these make me laugh so hard.  I think it’s the picture.  I’m sitting here at the Raleigh Durham airport laughing uncontrollably and people are looking at me like I’m fucking nuts.  On a side note it’s a good way to clear people out and have nice spot to sit down. 

They’re funny because everyone realizes Ketch is 2 beers away from actually posting shit like that.  Maybe 1 beer.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Budget dented. 

Yep.  Remember how Looch and Brauniger have been adamantly saying they can't lose a LB for the third year in a row like Perkins and Hill?  Frenzy should be able to deliver some good, sunshine pumping stuff from them when he commits.  Funny thing is our LB haul last class will be superior to what they will land this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

Noticed something a little fishy with these two reports from TFB and OB. 

OB

Spoiler

* There's a very real sense that the Longhorns are closing in on a commitment from 5-star edge Colin Simmons. If you're wondering about when it might happen, circle the second week in July. That's not exact, but it's a ballpark time frame I was given.

* Part of the reasoning for committing in July might center on Simmons simply looking to take some pressure off of his shoulders.

* Don't be surprised if it ends up being a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle for Simmons in November/December. I was told that the motivation at A&M to keep Simmons away from Texas is significant and that the motivation will grow to higher levels if/when Simmons commits to Texas. One source told me that the sting from the Anthony Hill recruitment (and loss) still stings and that they will be hell-bent on returning the favor.

* Top three schools for likely Rivals 5-star Brandon Baker (in order): Texas, Ohio State and Nebraska. It's not the only reason for his current lean to Texas, but make no mistake about it, he's very interested in the NIL prospects at Texas.

* Something to just file away... if Georgia is one of the top one or two schools for a prospect, don't expect Texas to engage. It sounds like "It's Georgia" has taken on entirely new meaning. "UGA has an energized group of donors and idiots, alike,:" the source said. I don't know why, but that cracked me up enough that I thought I would share this specific comment.

TFB

Spoiler

– There has been a lot of chatter this week regarding Colin Simmons coming off of his Texas official. I don’t want you all to get upset with me, but you know I have to give my honest opinion. I can confirm that Simmons has been a Texas fan throughout his childhood. I can confirm that he got the Rockstar treatment on his official visit and it definitely left an impression. I agree with those that believe that Texas currently sits in the pole position for him. Would a commitment prior to the season starting surprise me? No, it wouldn’t. Would a commitment put me at ease regarding his recruitment? No, it wouldn’t.

A commitment prior to the season would take a little bit of pressure off of the young man so that he can try to focus on his Senior season. It would likely get his phone to stop ringing from 6-8 programs and cut that number in half. I’m fully expecting for visits to be taken to a few games this Fall and I’m expecting some “unofficial” visits and in-home visits to take place in December in the weeks leading up to his signature. Just like the Wingo situation, it is likely true that Texas currently leads, but it may not mean a whole lot until we get to December. There is still plenty of work to be done. Watch LSU and watch the Aggies. A&M still has a very bad taste in their mouth following the Anthony Hill flip from last cycle.

– Interestingly enough, I heard through the grapevine this week that Texas has a better shot at 5-Star OT Brandon Baker than we all may have realized. We have mentioned in the past that Oregon was a major threat here. Well, that should alert you all that the young man cares about NIL. Come to find out, he cares about NIL A LOT and that means that Texas is going to be a major player here until he tells them otherwise. Ohio State is the other program right now that feels good about Baker. Either way, it seems like he is going to be leaving the state of California for college. On the flip side, I’d be shocked, SHOCKED if Georgia lets Daniel Calhoun out of state borders. There’s a special principle there with trench prospects and making sure that they stay home.

There was more to each report, but those paragraphs stood out to me. Same source? 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Ill said:

Noticed something a little fishy with these two reports from TFB and OB. 

OB

Reveal hidden contents

* There's a very real sense that the Longhorns are closing in on a commitment from 5-star edge Colin Simmons. If you're wondering about when it might happen, circle the second week in July. That's not exact, but it's a ballpark time frame I was given.

* Part of the reasoning for committing in July might center on Simmons simply looking to take some pressure off of his shoulders.

* Don't be surprised if it ends up being a Texas vs. Texas A&M battle for Simmons in November/December. I was told that the motivation at A&M to keep Simmons away from Texas is significant and that the motivation will grow to higher levels if/when Simmons commits to Texas. One source told me that the sting from the Anthony Hill recruitment (and loss) still stings and that they will be hell-bent on returning the favor.

* Top three schools for likely Rivals 5-star Brandon Baker (in order): Texas, Ohio State and Nebraska. It's not the only reason for his current lean to Texas, but make no mistake about it, he's very interested in the NIL prospects at Texas.

* Something to just file away... if Georgia is one of the top one or two schools for a prospect, don't expect Texas to engage. It sounds like "It's Georgia" has taken on entirely new meaning. "UGA has an energized group of donors and idiots, alike,:" the source said. I don't know why, but that cracked me up enough that I thought I would share this specific comment.

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

– There has been a lot of chatter this week regarding Colin Simmons coming off of his Texas official. I don’t want you all to get upset with me, but you know I have to give my honest opinion. I can confirm that Simmons has been a Texas fan throughout his childhood. I can confirm that he got the Rockstar treatment on his official visit and it definitely left an impression. I agree with those that believe that Texas currently sits in the pole position for him. Would a commitment prior to the season starting surprise me? No, it wouldn’t. Would a commitment put me at ease regarding his recruitment? No, it wouldn’t.

A commitment prior to the season would take a little bit of pressure off of the young man so that he can try to focus on his Senior season. It would likely get his phone to stop ringing from 6-8 programs and cut that number in half. I’m fully expecting for visits to be taken to a few games this Fall and I’m expecting some “unofficial” visits and in-home visits to take place in December in the weeks leading up to his signature. Just like the Wingo situation, it is likely true that Texas currently leads, but it may not mean a whole lot until we get to December. There is still plenty of work to be done. Watch LSU and watch the Aggies. A&M still has a very bad taste in their mouth following the Anthony Hill flip from last cycle.

– Interestingly enough, I heard through the grapevine this week that Texas has a better shot at 5-Star OT Brandon Baker than we all may have realized. We have mentioned in the past that Oregon was a major threat here. Well, that should alert you all that the young man cares about NIL. Come to find out, he cares about NIL A LOT and that means that Texas is going to be a major player here until he tells them otherwise. Ohio State is the other program right now that feels good about Baker. Either way, it seems like he is going to be leaving the state of California for college. On the flip side, I’d be shocked, SHOCKED if Georgia lets Daniel Calhoun out of state borders. There’s a special principle there with trench prospects and making sure that they stay home.

There was more to each report, but those paragraphs stood out to me. Same source? 

IMG_6393.webp.4d6d6227487603c0abadc9afc75a317e.webp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That shit is coming from someone on the aggie end. 

ATM doesn’t have deeper pockets this go round and Jimbo doesn’t have any goodwill or buy-in left. 

Simmons is mostly NIL, but he’s not going to be interested in playing for a loser program going nowhere. Shit would have to go sideways for Texas and perfectly for ATM and that still might not matter. 

Now, will Simmons make sure he’s getting what he can even if there’s an idiot stalking horse, sure. 

ATM is still fucking lost with the new landscape. You can be mad all you want. You are no longer the only group spending money and the SEC advantage has been nuked. On top of that, you have no corporate value to sell. Dumbfucks. 

Texas views Simmons as a linchpin recruitment.  I’m so fucking scared that Billdo and Ritz Bitz have their feelings hurt. 

“Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho.”

Maybe it’s just that I notice it more with A&M but it seems that they do have an knack for identifying useful idiots and getting them to parrot what ever grievance A&M is currently wallowing in. Is it a case of they are the equivalent of the CFB FSB in that they are so good at producing bullshit that they can inject it into common discourse even though they fall victim to their own propaganda. Or is it simply that they are insecure enough that they compulsively seek out anyone who will give them a sympathetic take and shower them with appreciation, where as less insecure programs wouldn’t waste the effort.

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Maybe it’s just that I notice it more with A&M but it seems that they do have an knack for identifying useful idiots and getting them to parrot what ever grievance A&M is currently wallowing in. Is it a case of they are the equivalent of the CFB FSB in that they are so good at producing bullshit that they can inject it into common discourse even though they fall victim to their own propaganda. Or is it simply that they are insecure enough that they compulsively seek out anyone who will give them a sympathetic take and shower them with appreciation, where as less insecure programs wouldn’t waste the effort.

This is true. I have a random coworker from Oregon with no aggy connections that starting parroting their dumbshit talking points and had to make him factcheck that shit on the spot. It was stunning.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

That shit is coming from someone on the aggie end. 

ATM doesn’t have deeper pockets this go round and Jimbo doesn’t have any goodwill or buy-in left. 

Simmons is mostly NIL, but he’s not going to be interested in playing for a loser program going nowhere. Shit would have to go sideways for Texas and perfectly for ATM and that still might not matter. 

Now, will Simmons make sure he’s getting what he can even if there’s an idiot stalking horse, sure. 

ATM is still fucking lost with the new landscape. You can be mad all you want. You are no longer the only group spending money and the SEC advantage has been nuked. On top of that, you have no corporate value to sell. Dumbfucks. 

Texas views Simmons as a linchpin recruitment.  I’m so fucking scared that Billdo and Ritz Bitz have their feelings hurt. 

“Now I have a machine gun. Ho. Ho. Ho.”

IMG_2036.gif.02f9cc9764e3f664ff4ff7726ec71551.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

Late night Scruggs Scoop: Analyzing upcoming announcements, scattershooting recruiting notes

Jordan Scruggs

Spoiler

Late night Scruggs Scoop: Analyzing upcoming announcements, scattershooting recruiting notes

Jordan Scruggs

With this upcoming weekend being the first weekend of the summer where zero FBS programs are set to welcome visitors due to the NCAA enforced dead period starting this past Monday, one would think it’s meant for a slowdown in the Longhorns recruiting efforts.

However that will not be the case, as two of the Longhorns top targets are set to announce their commitments tomorrow, with chances of more throughout the weekend.

While Parker Livingstone’s exact announcement time for tomorrow is still up in the air, my confidence in the composite four-star ending up in Burnt Orange is not in the air. We’ve felt confident in Texas’ chances with the Lovejoy Leopard for months now, but our confidence soared even more when Livingstone told 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Mike Roach that he would be canceling his official visits to Arkansas, LSU, and Texas A&M and thus would only be officially visiting South Carolina and Texas before shutting down his recruitment on July 1.

The other Texas target set to announce a commitment tomorrow is IMG Academy four-star safety Jordon Johnson-Rubell. Johnson-Rubell will be announcing his decision at 2:00 PM CT. Texas has been one of the favorites for the four-star since offering back in May of 2022 and as the recruitment rolled into the spring of 2023 we’ve only heard great things between Johnson-Rubell and the Longhorns. Johnson-Rubell is originally from the Fort Worth area and is lifelong friends with fellow Texas target Corian Gipson, and both defensive back prospects have spoken on-record about their desires to team up at the next level.

Other upcoming announcements from Texas targets include—

Jordan Washington, TE, Houston Langham Creek: July 4

Daniel Calhoun, OT, Marietta Walton (GA.): July 5

Aeryn Hampton, ATH, Daingerfield: July 7

Malik Blocton, DL, Pike Road (AL.): July 8

Melvin Hills, DL, Lafayette Christian Academy (LA.): July 12

As Horns247 has reported for weeks, July is setting up to be a big month for Texas, and while there’s only six potential commitments on the docket at the time of this writing, expect the Longhorns to be in the race to land more players than just the names previously mentioned.

Based off all of the intel Horns247 has heard during the month of June, I wouldn’t be shocked to see more Texas targets in Alex January, Eugene Brooks, Joshua Lair, Jayden Jackson, TJ Lindsey, and Zina Umeozulu announce public commitment dates for the month of July.

Of the group of potential July announcements, it's likely that January is the first to pull the trigger and make a commitment public.

With the 2024 cycle already on its way to filling up, prospects with plans for fall decisions are expected to have more focus on them from the Longhorns staff than ever before, as it’s a very high chance that Texas fills it’s class at least halfway before the start of football season.

In speaking with sources over the last few days, there’s a positive theme amongst sources around out-of-state five-star Texas targets in the sense that a majority of them could potentially announce commitments ahead of the start of the football season.

— The recruitment of Acadiana (LA.) five-star DL Dominick McKinley has been a tough read so far as the Louisiana native is quieter than most five-star prospects. Having officially visited the Forty Acres this past weekend, I spoke with a source who made it clear that McKinley’s recruitment is led by a pack of three out-of-state options in Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma. Ohio State’s distance from Louisiana was a big deal in the Buckeyes falling behind, whereas LSU has found themselves in an uncommon place with a top prospect from Louisiana in that they aren’t necessarily in the pack of leaders currently. While I’ve learned to never discount LSU for in-state priority prospects, the Tigers will have some work to do to climb back near pole position in this one. The same source mentioned that it’s starting to look a little more like a late-summer decision rather than an in-season commitment for the five-star. The timeline of an announcement will be important in the decision, as McKinley has yet to take his last official visit to a school in his top five— LSU.

— While we’ve heard a fair amount of positive feedback out of Austin since Mater Dei. (Calif.) five-star OT Brandon Baker departed from his Texas official visit on June 18, we’re still being cautious as we continue to hear from West Coast sources that Oregon is still currently atop the list of favorites that also include Ohio State and Texas. On Wednesday the five-star told 247Sports National Analyst Greg Biggins “As for a commitment timeframe, right now, I’m looking at sometime in August or September. I think by then I’ll know what I want to do so that’s a good timeframe for me to lock it in”. Kyle Flood and Co. have been putting in serious work in this recruitment, but with Baker being the No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the nation according to 247Sports, several other schools are also putting in serious work. As of now, there aren’t any more visits on the docket for Baker, but there is a possibility that he could take an unofficial trip to Tuscaloosa at the end of July.

— After 247Sports Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong put in a crystal ball prediction in favor of Texas for St. Louis University (Mo.) five-star WR Ryan Wingo, I reached out to a source close to Wingo who related optimism that the five-star could end up “in the boat” ahead of his senior year.

— Tomorrow also marks the commitment date for Goodyear Desert Edge (AZ.) three-star EDGE Deshawn Warner. Warner will be deciding between Kansas, Oregon State, Texas, and Washington.

Texas is emphasizing the EDGE position to be the position haul of this class, similar to how the Longhorns took impressive offensive line and linebacker classes in back-to-back cycles in 2022 and 2023.

With that being said, spots at EDGE are still limited and with higher priority targets still left on the board at the position, Warner’s early timeline didn’t help his chances with landing with the Longhorns and thus I’ve entered in a crystal ball prediction in favor of Washington.

• Hook 'Em 4

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls