Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

12 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The LSU on3 mods (Shea Dixon and Billy Embody) both seemed more caught off guard and were talking about a December decision coming out of the weekend. Even Dixon said last night that he doesn't have a true feel for these type of recruitments until the decision date is closer. Spiegelman, who is from Louisiana and has tons of connections, called it a coin flip on Monday when interviewed by a LSU radio station.

Screenshot2023-08-02at9_31_27AM.thumb.png.6e9b793ae51084f556bf28af5c73753a.pngScreenshot2023-08-02at9_31_36AM.thumb.png.6c111d333143b206b4adecb976eb8692.png

Yeah, I think it points to no one really knowing shit about fuck for this one.  That'll be $9.95

11 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

It’s weird because on the last update from On3, Justin said there were things he wanted to say about the Simmons recruitment, but he was going to keep to himself. Gerry laughed and said he understood what he meant. Maybe it means nothing, who knows. 

I heard that as well and was curious. 

So, sounds like this is where we stand:

************************************************************************************************

247SPORTS

1. Horns247:  All have more confidence in Texas (based on DFW/Austin contacts)
  2. LSU247:  Believe it's LSU as of now;  have repeatedly said the decision is likely to be soon (earlier than people think), and that's also a data point favoring Tigah
  3. (National) Wiltfong:  Has his CB on LSU, but that CB is from July ... '22.  He's on vacation, btw.
  4. (National) Roach:  Favoring LSU

ON3/IT

1. On3 LSU:  Don't have a clue / coinflip /etc..
  2. On3 Texas:  Have they said anything specific?  Do we want to know?

RIVALS/OB

1. Texas/LSU:  Same as On3 Texas - where are they?  Do we want to know? (Rhetorical ... )

*************************************************************************************

I'm sure the outcome and recency of the Gipson fiasco are weighing on me, but it sounds like the Texas guys don't have a ton of specifics, while the 247 guys covering the opposing team are at least putting out something a little more specific (they've repeatedly said it is likely to end pretty soon, and in favor of Tigah).

Simmons has always liked LSU, if he picks them, you can't really blame him.    Money for him will be available from anywhere.   

I think Sark is an optimist (sometimes to his own detriment), i think that probably trickles down to the staff and that trickles down to the 9.95ers.  

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

************************************************************************************************

247SPORTS

2. LSU247:  Believe it's LSU as of now;  have repeatedly said the decision is likely to be soon (earlier than people think), and that's also a data point favoring Tigah
  3. (National) Wiltfong:  Has his CB on LSU, but that CB is from July ... '22.  He's on vacation, btw.

ON3/IT

RIVALS/OB

1. Texas/LSU:  Same as On3 Texas - where are they?  Do we want to know? (Rhetorical ... )

*************************************************************************************

I'm sure the outcome and recency of the Gipson fiasco are weighing on me, but it sounds like the Texas guys don't have a ton of specifics, while the 247 guys covering the opposing team are at least putting out something a little more specific (they've repeatedly said it is likely to end pretty soon, and in favor of Tigah).

Should be noted that Fong has said he's contemplated/contemplating changing his pick.

The news on the Solomon Williams kid seemed like we were already looking toward possible contingencies.  Maybe we are being cautious but it sure would be nice to get a day 1 pass rushing talent instead of developmental projects that may or may not work out.  Maybe Simmons is building drama/suspense around his recruitment.

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

This is all true, but if it was my money, Simmons is the one recruit to emphasize this cycle. We need to keep the best players in state and keep LSU and Alabama out. We also need to keep the Dallas pipeline alive. Letting LSU get another Chaisson sets a bad precedent.

I get that he was a 5*, a first rounder and a guy who people were excited about, but I hope Simmons is a lot better than that. I think he's coming up on 13 total sacks across his NFL- and college career

3 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

No matter what happens with Simmons' recruitment, we can look back on our time together as cherished friends and smile about all the good times we had!  

Ghost Hug GIF

The rest of his job not withstanding, having Rashad Samples on staff right now with how much talent is at Duncanville would not suck. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CTJ has said that NIL will not be a reason we lose Simmons.

The two statements can stand together. Surprise commitments come as a surprise to everyone but the person committing the money. We need to get one of those: Meaning, specifically, we need to lock it up with an offer above and beyond, for a multitude of reasons. Getting into an incremental bidding war or relying on an NIL pitch is going to get us spending a lot more than if we just ponied up in the beginning and used him to provide a ceiling/bell cow for the class.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The rest of his job not withstanding, having Rashad Samples on staff right now with how much talent is at Duncanville would not suck. 

This staff seems to be doing a better job at Duncanville than previous ones. Cam Williams a few cycles ago, Alex January this cycle, obviously in the thick of it for Simmons and Moore in 2025.

I have my doubts that having Samples on staff would have had any sort of big impact on a recruitment like Simmons considering the high profile nature and buttons needing to be pushed, but we'll never know. Not to get this thread too far off track but I do find it interesting that Samples ended up at a place like Arizona State. His college stops now include SMU, TCU and Arizona State despite his "recruiting profile". And his time with the Rams did not go well.

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Should be noted that Fong has said he's contemplated/contemplating changing his pick.

I remember his comments in that video.

After teasing about a flip, I thought it was significant that he decided not to flip it.  And that was before his LSU visit, which by all accounts, went off very well. 

Also - a multiday visit, and it was an unofficial.  He has not yet done an OV to LSU.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The best thing to do when anyone uninvolved with NIL and how it’s being managed across all sports at Texas thinks they’ve got an important opinion to offer about how NIL should be handled is 1) reach for their wallet pull out all of the money that they want to give in order to make their thoughts and beliefs on NIL come to fruition and then 2) win all of the recruitments.

If, for whatever reason, the person offering their own NIL opinions can’t front the money relevant to their critiques, then they should 1) think about whether anybody needs to hear their ignorance spoken out loud and then 2) shut the fuck up. 

I did preface my comments by stating that if I was the one providing inducements... My point solely was that this is the guy this cycle (just like Ewers was when he transferred) or just like Manning was this past cycle. I realize that QBs are worth more than DEs from an NIL perspective, but Simmons is a must have. And I realize that we, like everyone else, have a limited budget, but Simmons is the one. And I realize that the coaches may have a different view, but if that is the case, then I disagree.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shipp was also the guy, I belive, who in the earlier screenshots said he would still side wtih Texas. So he's heard new information. 

Think you might be mixing him up with someone else. Shipp was the one who said a week ago that LSU has always been way out front and never lost the lead to Texas.

13 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Please tell me this sudden surge of optimism from LSU isn't going to require us to admit the idiot from the end of June that was arguing with Sidney and CTJ that LSU wasn't hosed in NIL Era may have ben right?

TexasRenegade, I wanted to share something with you.

This sudden surge of optimism from LSU isn't going to require us to admit the idiot from the end of June that was arguing with Sidney and CTJ that LSU wasn't hosed in NIL Era may have ben right.

Because we are never wrong.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

247SPORTS

ON3/IT

RIVALS/OB

I don’t get the LSU thought of how a sped up timeline favors them. Simmons still has an OV to them for the Florida game this season, so presumably stringing it out would help them. Maybe they just think his UOV last weekend was that good, but on Monday Justin Wells was pointing out the lack of updates on the LSU side was very telling and good for us. 

IT/Texas ON3 are saying Texas. Nahlin and Gerry have both put in RPM’s for Texas. Nahlin’s was way too high and he’s had to walk it back a bit, but both are still standing by the picks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

I don’t get the LSU thought of how a sped up timeline favors them. Simmons still has an OV to them for the Florida game this season, so presumably stringing it out would help them. Maybe they just think his UOV last weekend was that good, but on Monday Justin Wells was pointing out the lack of updates on the LSU side was very telling and good for us. 

IT/Texas ON3 are saying Texas. Nahlin and Gerry have both put in RPM’s for Texas. Nahlin’s was way too high and he’s had to walk it back a bit, but both are still standing by the picks. 

They also stood on their Gipson picks.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Anytime someone visits and moves up their commitment date shortly after there is going to be optimism. 

you know, there are some fancy hot dogs out there

spacer.png

Crawfish sausage, Crawfish Etouffee, Sour cream, Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

spacer.png

Sea Dog - Beer-Battered Cod Fish, Onions, Tomatoes, Homemade Tartar Sauce, & Yellow Mustard.

spacer.png

Bacon Werewolf - Smoked Bratwurst, Bacon, Sauerkraut, Dill Relish, Grilled Onions, Tomatoes, & Creole Mustard.

Delicious! images from Dat Dog in new Orleans

Brats on hawaiian roll.jpeg

Just a brat with spicy mustard, and Sauerkraut and mustard.  Figured I would talk about something I actually know! All these were delicious and talented hot dogs! 😉

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls