Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

42 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ivey to LSU and a surprise Bussey to us would be the meltdown of the century on the Aggie forums 

I thought we cooled on Bussey once Hampton committed. If he's still reaching out to us after being a priority for aggy, that's really good news. Between the fact Bussey is a mega-talent and Hampton is a flighty guy who's left the fold once already, I'd be thrilled to learn we're rejoining the chase.

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry was saying in early July that Simmons was not going to last into the season. Embody doesn't know shit other than the egg all over his face. He really hasn't gotten a single thing right on the Mack, Simmons, and McKinley recruitments.

DF9A9507-304F-41DC-AAA0-897BD1FE2A8D.thumb.jpeg.eae4500cd2c0fcc8beddc66d3ee97b2f.jpeg

Especially enjoyed this freezing cold take from after Gerry/Nahlin put in their picks for Simmons to Texas.

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, MichaelDicksonFanClub said:

IMG_0016.jpeg

Damn

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

So bringing dudes to hang out with other dudes at an apartment complex pool and serving bad BBQ, isn't a guaranteed recipe for success?  Who knew????

Turns out when it's not a thinly disguised excuse to hand out duffel bags full of cash the appeal fades away

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I thought we cooled on Bussey once Hampton committed. If he's still reaching out to us after being a priority for aggy, that's really good news. Between the fact Bussey is a mega-talent and Hampton is a flighty guy who's left the fold once already, I'd be thrilled to learn we're rejoining the chase.

I have no idea how hard we were/are recruiting Bussey, but aggy was offering him as a DB.  Both Bussey and Hampton are two-way players.  Based on  info from Surlies more in the know, I've never felt like the coaching staff had a huge hard on for either one.  In other words, hydraulics.

Dominick McKinley HUDL for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/15175017/637aa82b2aa6660908a67108

The young man is freakishly fast and quick for his size. I've heard rumors on here that he doesn't really love football all that much and is just maybe too nice of a kid. That said, we had a similar deal with Malik and Okam (at least at first with Okam) and they turned out well for us. Based on the first play alone on McKinley's HUDL (the pick six), I'd give my middle nut to get him to Texas. May have to throw a few more bucks into the Texas One Fund after seeing that interception and return

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, campcrunk said:

The young man is freakishly fast and quick for his size. I've heard rumors on here that he doesn't really love football all that much and is just maybe too nice of a kid. That said, we had a similar deal with Malik and Okam (at least at first with Okam) and they turned out well for us. Based on the first play alone on McKinley's HUDL (the pick six), I'd give my middle nut to get him to Texas. May have to throw a few more bucks into the Texas One Fund after seeing that interception and return

He's a freak. With proper coaching and culture, the motor sometimes improves. Starting from 6-7, 285 pounds and 4.75 speed lessens the need to maximize his potential. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Shit is about to get so much more exciting.

Number 1, all these dudes senior seasons are kicking off and since our staff scouts better than the recruiting services, they will begin catching up and moving our players up the board.

Number 2, the Texas motherfucking longhorns are about to start rockin and stompin everyone on our schedule. The hype will be awesome for a million reasons one of which will be recruiting juice.

When we beat saban at night in a stadium full of slack jawed cobras and we take the monkey off our back, this show will really begin.

Cantwait.gif

god damn GIF

smash kool aid GIF

Happy Big Lebowski GIF

Dance Cat GIF

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, campcrunk said:

Gerry has said he is Alfred Collins in more than way. As frustrating as Collins has been throughout his career, he has been a contributor. That is probably McKinley's floor and his ceiling is NFL, so I would appreciate your donation of a testicle to get him to Texas. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, campcrunk said:

IDK, that play at 1:39 where he ran down field 60 yards doesn't give off 'I don't like football' vibes to me 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, campcrunk said:

I am not sure I have ever watched a DL hudl before and wanted to hurry up and get through all of the interceptions. Also, LOL at the human fire hydrant he was playing against at the 1:20 mark. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Recruiting updates via IT. Things seem to be trending well with Baker, Lair, Black and McKinley.

Spoiler

Inside Texas take a closer look at a number of 2024 targets remaining in this cycle, with the latest from Kobe Black, DeAndre Carter, Dominick McKinley and more in Friday’s recruiting humidor.

Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (MO) St. Louis University 

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound On3 Industry Ranking five-star continues to have productive conversations with the Texas staff, notably Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson. 

While Wingo has a December 20th commitment date, sources indicate this could be sooner rather than later. 

Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas A&M are in the mix, with Georgia and Michigan hanging around the rim. 

Missouri has some momentum here, and the Horns would love to counter that, as they’ll host Wingo on September 16th for the Wyoming game. Wingo is also currently scheduled to visit Tennessee September 30. 

Brandon Baker, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei 

Texas continues to have at least a 50-50 shot at the five-star offensive tackle from the No. 1 ranked high school team in the country. The question is who will ultimately be that team in the final two when it comes decision time. The lean is Oregon slightly over Ohio State. 

Nebraska will take the last trip, and best shot on September 16 with an official visit for the Cornhuskers game against Northern Illinois. 

What does Texas have going for them? Christian Jones is a senior at right tackle, the parents really like Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and may favor them. Texas is moving to the SEC, easier travel from California to Austin vs. Columbus, Flood’s resume and development, California kids are enjoying their time at Texas, mom’s side of family is related to the Akana’s. 

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder is scheduled to announce his decision on September 3. Auburn continues to be the favorite over Texas and Michigan State. He made June official visits to Auburn and Michigan State. The Tigers have pushed very hard to get this one done prior to the season getting going. 

On the Texas side, the Horns believe they are right there in it, and have a legit shot. Of course, the visits tell a different story. Carter has been scheduled to make an official visit to Texas September 30. 

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana 

September 1st is getting closer. The 6-foot-5, 280-pound On3 Industry Ranking five-star is announcing his commitment at the beginning of next month. McKinley and family have taken the week off from recruiting. There has been zero communication with college coaches this week. 

Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU and Texas A&M are the contenders. The most confidence has been on the side of Texas and Ohio State in the last couple of weeks. The Oklahoma side believes Texas is the favorite. 

Why could Texas win out? Academic and football combination is favorable with McKinley’s mom. Driving distance from home, with a family that will be watching 2026 DL Darryus McKinley play on Friday nights for two years, while trying to get to watch Dominick on Saturday’s. McKinley plans to major in engineering. There is a scheme fit. Bo Davis and Steve Sarkisian have done a very good job in this one from start to current. 

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally 

Even though the On3 Industry Ranking five-star insists his recruitment will go into the 2023 season, sources close to the 6-foot-2, 200-pound defensive back maintain it probably won’t. 

Black still has visits to LSU, Alabama, and Oregon on his mind, but Texas and Texas A&M have separated from the pack in this recruitment. 

Texas feels good here, and for good reason. Duncanville (Texas) five-star EDGE Colin Simmons has already began working on the Cen-Tex product. 

Joshua Lair, S/Star, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall

Lair will end up at Texas, if the Longhorns make a strong final push. Lair grew up a Texas fan of sorts, and has a strong relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Blake Gideon. Mom prefers close to home – Texas or Baylor. Washington is way too far for the family. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Recruiting updates via IT. Things seem to be trending well with Baker, Lair, Black and McKinley.

Reveal hidden contents

Inside Texas take a closer look at a number of 2024 targets remaining in this cycle, with the latest from Kobe Black, DeAndre Carter, Dominick McKinley and more in Friday’s recruiting humidor.

Ryan Wingo, WR, St. Louis (MO) St. Louis University 

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound On3 Industry Ranking five-star continues to have productive conversations with the Texas staff, notably Steve Sarkisian and Chris Jackson. 

While Wingo has a December 20th commitment date, sources indicate this could be sooner rather than later. 

Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas A&M are in the mix, with Georgia and Michigan hanging around the rim. 

Missouri has some momentum here, and the Horns would love to counter that, as they’ll host Wingo on September 16th for the Wyoming game. Wingo is also currently scheduled to visit Tennessee September 30. 

Brandon Baker, OL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei 

Texas continues to have at least a 50-50 shot at the five-star offensive tackle from the No. 1 ranked high school team in the country. The question is who will ultimately be that team in the final two when it comes decision time. The lean is Oregon slightly over Ohio State. 

Nebraska will take the last trip, and best shot on September 16 with an official visit for the Cornhuskers game against Northern Illinois. 

What does Texas have going for them? Christian Jones is a senior at right tackle, the parents really like Sarkisian and Kyle Flood, and may favor them. Texas is moving to the SEC, easier travel from California to Austin vs. Columbus, Flood’s resume and development, California kids are enjoying their time at Texas, mom’s side of family is related to the Akana’s. 

DeAndre Carter, IOL, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

The 6-foot-4, 340-pounder is scheduled to announce his decision on September 3. Auburn continues to be the favorite over Texas and Michigan State. He made June official visits to Auburn and Michigan State. The Tigers have pushed very hard to get this one done prior to the season getting going. 

On the Texas side, the Horns believe they are right there in it, and have a legit shot. Of course, the visits tell a different story. Carter has been scheduled to make an official visit to Texas September 30. 

Dominick McKinley, DL, Lafayette (La.) Acadiana 

September 1st is getting closer. The 6-foot-5, 280-pound On3 Industry Ranking five-star is announcing his commitment at the beginning of next month. McKinley and family have taken the week off from recruiting. There has been zero communication with college coaches this week. 

Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU and Texas A&M are the contenders. The most confidence has been on the side of Texas and Ohio State in the last couple of weeks. The Oklahoma side believes Texas is the favorite. 

Why could Texas win out? Academic and football combination is favorable with McKinley’s mom. Driving distance from home, with a family that will be watching 2026 DL Darryus McKinley play on Friday nights for two years, while trying to get to watch Dominick on Saturday’s. McKinley plans to major in engineering. There is a scheme fit. Bo Davis and Steve Sarkisian have done a very good job in this one from start to current. 

Kobe Black, CB, Waco (Texas) Connally 

Even though the On3 Industry Ranking five-star insists his recruitment will go into the 2023 season, sources close to the 6-foot-2, 200-pound defensive back maintain it probably won’t. 

Black still has visits to LSU, Alabama, and Oregon on his mind, but Texas and Texas A&M have separated from the pack in this recruitment. 

Texas feels good here, and for good reason. Duncanville (Texas) five-star EDGE Colin Simmons has already began working on the Cen-Tex product. 

Joshua Lair, S/Star, Missouri City (Texas) Marshall

Lair will end up at Texas, if the Longhorns make a strong final push. Lair grew up a Texas fan of sorts, and has a strong relationship with Steve Sarkisian and Blake Gideon. Mom prefers close to home – Texas or Baylor. Washington is way too far for the family. 

How can you have a 50-50 chance if there are 3 teams at the top.....

• Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls